Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Holy poo poo Fraser was massive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Or maybe everyone else is just really tiny

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Malcolm Fraiser of the Globetrotters.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I voted for the Democrats back in the day because Natasha Stott Despoja wore Docs.

That was pretty much my entire thought process on it at the time

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
This Saturday, 4 April, the collection of bigoted, ignorant fuckwits from Reclaim Australia are holding rally's around Australia.

Unfortunately in Perth, they have chosen to rally in Solidarity Park. For anyone that doesn't know, Solidarity Park was created from a workers embassy that was established during a significant period in the union movement's history and ultimately become a monument to union workers and members who have died at work.

It is bad enough that this group is rallying but its absolutely unacceptable that they are doing so in a place that honours the struggle of the movement founded in values of equality for all.

A counter-protest is being organised by a range of activists groups and it would be great if any Perth-based goons could front up and support the cause.

We don't know how many of the Reclaim Australia mob will front up but however many do, they need to see a show of strength.

Counter-protest starts at 11.30am. Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/events/933188153379142/. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mithranderp posted:

I'm assuming you'd also have to reapply for Centrelink. I know there's some time frame before you get taken off benefits (2 months?), but I wouldn't put it past the Government to reduce it to a month, so that if you get a month of work, you still have to drown in paperwork and wait for another ~6 weeks to get back on Newstart.

It's only an issue if you had been paid enough to get $0 from Centrelink for 6 consecutive fortnights, at which point your YA/NS is cancelled (due to you in theory no longer needing it). Therefore if people are hiring and firing in a month, it's not really going to impact these people in a welfare sense, just in the psychological sense of being fired and made unemployed once more.

Of course, the government can choose to change the period and shorten it down to say, 2 fortnights, at which point yes, it would likely completely gently caress over a lot of people.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

Or maybe everyone else is just really tiny

1.93m

nope

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Looking for an affordable 1294 square meter piece of land to build a dream home with a view of the Pacific Ocean ?…… Move to Malibu, California. For just $129,000 (US$99,000), this view in the above pic could be yours.

Alternatively, if you’re looking to build your dream home on vacant land in desert as far away from the ocean as you can get with limited resources, look no further than Alice Springs. But here is the problem..it will cost you more.

In the new Alice Springs suburb of Kilgariff, the asking price per square meter of land on blocks ranging between 700m2 and 1100m2  is $188-$228 per m2. This is very pricy when compared to the cost per square meter of land with a view in Malibu (AU$99).

image source: Land Development Corporation NT

When the cost of land per square meter in the middle of nowhere and as far away from the ocean as you can get costs more than a square meter of land in the middle of somewhere with a view, we have to ask ourselves, ‘does this sound normal?’ 

Does it sound sane that a piece of land in Alice Springs should cost more than a piece of land in Malibu with a view of the Pacific Ocean? Is Alice Springs the new New York? Is there such a dire desperation for the residents of the Northern Territory where there are more square kilometres than the arms and legs of its residents to get their hands on a piece of land? Is there an actual shortage of land in the Northern Territory? If the answer to that question is ‘yes’ than I would say this country has lost touch with reality.

Whether we are looking at the sky high land prices of our major cities or the middle of nowhere Australia, to suggest that there is no land bubble across this whole country is concerning. And today, there are towns like Emerald and Moranbrah that were once apparently suffering from a dire housing shortage now seeing their housing markets crash. Thats what happens when a nation consistently builds over the last twenty years a new dwelling for every 1.9 new residents. Slowly but surely this great Australian credit and property bubble is bursting.

So much for a housing shortage.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Hahahaha

I am the same height as Tony Abbott. If I ever meet him, I'l wear like 3 inch heels on purpose so that he's intimidated :getin:

6'4 is actually pretty massive for someone of Fraser's generation.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I read about some annual neonazi march in Germany that people opposed in an interesting way. People raised sponsors and said for every 100m or whatever distance each rally goer marched, they would donate €X to an organisation that helps reforms neonazis. So tonnes of anti fascists turned up to cheer the skinheads on because each step they took was raising more money to oppose them. Got a tonne of publicity for the anti-fascist movement and turned a disgusting parade into a funny parody

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bad thread, voted 1

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Goo Whitlam was loving huge too, as was Margaret. It was basically how they met, since she was too tall for anybody else to dance with.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
politics

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I read about some annual neonazi march in Germany that people opposed in an interesting way. People raised sponsors and said for every 100m or whatever distance each rally goer marched, they would donate €X to an organisation that helps reforms neonazis. So tonnes of anti fascists turned up to cheer the skinheads on because each step they took was raising more money to oppose them. Got a tonne of publicity for the anti-fascist movement and turned a disgusting parade into a funny parody

The same organization also sells shirts at music festivals that fascists and neonazis rock up to, with right wing/neo-nazi slogans and logos on them (Thors hammer and all that poo poo), except when you wash the shirt the logo fades and contact details for the reform organization are on the shirt.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I know he was a piece of poo poo but drat if I'm not horribly addicted to watching Keating QT videos

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

I'm a Greens member, mystery avatar buyer. You done hosed up.

They compounded the fuckup by using the wrong logo. That's RebootD's design: the official logo is still the old dark green and gold one.

I have been trying to come up with a newer one to submit to the Communications Committee, though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I know he was a piece of poo poo but drat if I'm not horribly addicted to watching Keating QT videos

Don't speak I'll of the greatest man to ever tear up the floor at question time

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ScreamingLlama posted:

I hereby register my strenuous objection to this part of the OP on the grounds that you are going too loving far. We (yes, we, there's still plenty of Dems) are still a party as far as the AEC is concerned, and until remain so until such time as the party is actually deregistered. Also stop being a bunch of shitlords carrying on about something that happened twenty years ago that half of today's party membership had no loving control over (due to, you know, being children at the time).

Gods preserve me.

No, see, that is the best part of the OP.

If you got rid of it then the OP wouldn't be as good.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Looking for an affordable 1294 square meter piece of land to build a dream home with a view of the Pacific Ocean ?…… Move to Malibu, California. For just $129,000 (US$99,000), this view in the above pic could be yours.

Alternatively, if you’re looking to build your dream home on vacant land in desert as far away from the ocean as you can get with limited resources, look no further than Alice Springs. But here is the problem..it will cost you more.

In the new Alice Springs suburb of Kilgariff, the asking price per square meter of land on blocks ranging between 700m2 and 1100m2  is $188-$228 per m2. This is very pricy when compared to the cost per square meter of land with a view in Malibu (AU$99).

image source: Land Development Corporation NT

When the cost of land per square meter in the middle of nowhere and as far away from the ocean as you can get costs more than a square meter of land in the middle of somewhere with a view, we have to ask ourselves, ‘does this sound normal?’ 

Does it sound sane that a piece of land in Alice Springs should cost more than a piece of land in Malibu with a view of the Pacific Ocean? Is Alice Springs the new New York? Is there such a dire desperation for the residents of the Northern Territory where there are more square kilometres than the arms and legs of its residents to get their hands on a piece of land? Is there an actual shortage of land in the Northern Territory? If the answer to that question is ‘yes’ than I would say this country has lost touch with reality.

Whether we are looking at the sky high land prices of our major cities or the middle of nowhere Australia, to suggest that there is no land bubble across this whole country is concerning. And today, there are towns like Emerald and Moranbrah that were once apparently suffering from a dire housing shortage now seeing their housing markets crash. Thats what happens when a nation consistently builds over the last twenty years a new dwelling for every 1.9 new residents. Slowly but surely this great Australian credit and property bubble is bursting.

So much for a housing shortage.

this is nothing new

there is a shortage of land of suitable zoning around Alice Springs. West of Alice we have the West MacDonnell National Park. There's an historic reserve to the north. To the south we've got the sewage works (locally called "the poo ponds") and the airport, and to the east we've got a 1200 sq km cattle station. What's left over is either under Native Title, on a flood plain, or has big loving rocks jutting out of it.

pictured: big loving rocks

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 31, 2015

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A second ALP MP in Queensland has had Domestic violence claims pushed on him with a former partner claiming she got beaten by a leather belt regularly.

I've never seen Springborg so happy. It's up on Brisbane Times.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

GoldStandardConure posted:

The same organization also sells shirts at music festivals that fascists and neonazis rock up to, with right wing/neo-nazi slogans and logos on them (Thors hammer and all that poo poo), except when you wash the shirt the logo fades and contact details for the reform organization are on the shirt.
No, I suspect we'll just have the rabid mob trying to deny others the right of free assembly (I have no idea who's protesting about what by the way).

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

A second ALP MP in Queensland has had Domestic violence claims pushed on him with a former partner claiming she got beaten by a leather belt regularly.

Sadly why do I not find this surprising.

There's no excuse for this poo poo.

Unfortunately we're going to go from the verified track record cases to the murky world of "he said, she said".

Sorry Queensland, you're a long way from being out of the woods.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Endman posted:

I'm a Greens member, mystery avatar buyer. You done hosed up.

cpaf posted:

Reminder that the Jackie Lambie Network will soon be a registered Australian political party and the Democrats won't

I think they had the hope of doing the whole first page and probably just ran out of money and effort, just like the real democrats

e: rip riker

Thinking fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 31, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SadisTech posted:

I voted for the Democrats back in the day because Natasha Stott Despoja wore Docs.

That was pretty much my entire thought process on it at the time
You probably put more thought into your vote than most.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Redwolf posted:

The Australian Greens

The Australian Greens are a motley band of belligerent anarchist rabble whose supporters are heavily represented in the thread. Led by Christine Milne they believe in Scott Ludlum's dreamy, luxiourus hair, free lattes for all, and probably the same things you do unless you're an absolute shitstain of a human being.

I love scott ludlam.

Pickled Tink posted:

Been waiting for the new thread before posting this (Not first dog. Sorry guys).

Employers to be offered cash to place jobseekers in roles lasting only a month
:stonk:

How the hell do they come up with this poo poo? You're healthier if you're in work? Sure. But there is absolutely no promise of stability with this steaming turd of a policy, and that has the exact opposite effect on many people.

Gutting training as well. I know the training system was rorted no end with the low cost in-house training poo poo that they billed the big bucks for (I got sent through a few of them), but that is an argument for vetting these programs before releasing the funding, not getting rid of them altogether. This either makes training impossible to justify (Since it is for an advertised position that will get filled long before you complete training) or it sets up poo poo so that employers can migrate the training costs of these jobs off onto the government via JSA.

All I see here is more kicking around of job seekers, handouts to those who don't need them, and Abbott giving Twiggy a verbal handjob.

Litterally a racist strawman for a policy.

"The government throws money at them to give them fake jobs just because theyre black!"

Wtg lnp.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 31, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anidav posted:

Glass houses and all that

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

News Ltd is blaming The Greens NSW victories in weed :drugnerd:

quote:

IT’S not easy being Green, even in the hippie haven of northern NSW.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Nimbin and Lismore, home of the Australian Hemp Party and new Greens’ heartland, have one of the highest rates of welfare recipients in the state.

The north coast region, where the Greens claimed a historic win in Ballina and came close to taking Lismore at the weekend election, has more than 32,000 residents on welfare, including 14,000 on the Newstart allowance.

The unemployment rate in the Richmond-Tweed region, which includes Nimbin, is a whopping 10.2 per cent, compared to 6.6 per cent in Parramatta in Sydney’s west. The Department of Employment lists the region’s youth unemployment rate at 15.8 per cent.

Drug raids in Nimbin are a daily way of life.

If the Greens lose Lismore, where their candidate Adam Guise was last night trailing Nationals incumbent Thomas George by 252 votes, it could ironically be linked to the number of apathetic locals who are not registered to vote.

While the Nimbin booth traditionally registers a high Greens vote, The Daily Telegraph has learned many residents living in the hills around Nimbin and Uki were not registered and failed to vote for the anti-CSG activist.

“Why would we vote? Voting is for mugs and sellouts,” a local woman said. A non-voter said: “Nimbin is already the greenest area of Australia.”

Other Greens supporters who moved to the north coast said they were registered in other states and ineligible to vote despite having lived in the region for years.

Nimbin Mardi Grass celebrates the region’s drug culture. Picture: Adam Smith

Greens candidate Tamara Smith, who cleaned-up in the historically green Byron Shire region, yesterday looked set to claim Ballina. Outgoing MP Don Page had held the seat for the ­Nationals since 1988.

Greens MP Jeremy Buckingham has dismissed the idea of the “hippie” and “tree hugger” vote being behind the party’s popularity in the north.

As well as apparent voter apathy, the north coast – once a thriving farming and fishing hub – is home to the country’s worst immunisation rates and anti-fluoride activists.

It is also over-represented in annual drug statistics ­released by the Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research.

Nimbin has a high percentage of the population on welfare. Picture: Jason O'Brien

The National Health Performance Authority last year listed the NSW north coast as having the worst immunisation rates in Australia.

In Byron Shire, only 66.7 per cent of children aged five were fully immunised.

NSW Police targets the region through annual cannabis eradication programs unearthing massive marijuana crops.

An ice and speed syndicate allegedly linked to the Ballina Rebels was smashed by local police last December, and LSD and MDMA have also been targeted.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

This wouldn't look out of place on conservapedia. See also:
*greens voters and obesity
*thin liberal dancers with long beautiful hair

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Glass houses and all that
Yes, being smug in any way could only be classed as a high-risk manoeuvre.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Anidav posted:

I loving hate this nation's media.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Smoke weed, flip Nationals seats.

What's wrong with this plan again?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Not enough weed :2bong:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

Someone forgot to bring the shrooms?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Suddenly it all falls into place!
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-30/nsw-police-destroy-thousands-plants-in-cannabis-operation/6358244

quote:

NSW police have seized and destroyed 12,000 cannabis plants with an estimated street value of over $22 million in the past year.

The Cannabis Eradication Program, a drug protection program run by NSW Police, targeted cannabis crops in New England, Richmond, Coffs Clarence and Tweed Byron Local Area Commands.

Police destroyed 12,000 plants, with over 4,800 plants found in New England alone, a substantial increase on recent years

*coffee mug falls and shatters in slow motion*

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Blab Snorten posted:

Tony Abbott has cut more than $50 billion from Australian hospitals, threatened a new GP Tax and slashed funding for preventative health initiatives.
To help Australia's health system cope with this, Labor will today launch a new preventative health campaign – An Onion A Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
The multi-layered campaign will raise awareness of the ongoing health benefits of consuming raw onions.
The campaign will also bust the myth that onions are best consumed cooked and with the skin removed.
Research suggests that not only does eating raw onions ward off disease, it has been shown to make you up to three per cent more popular.
The campaign will seek well known “Allium Ambassadors” to use their profile to break down the unwarranted stigma that’s often associated with randomly picking up a raw onion and taking a big bite out of it, like its an apple.
More information on the campaign will be available shortly.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How can one man be so lame?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

katlington posted:

*bong falls and shatters in slow motion*

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Anidav posted:

420 vote Greens every day

• Locked thread