Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

$216,000 for the first group, $94,700 for the second group, $38,300 for the last group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-02/nsw-election-no-land-tax-party-flags-legal-challenge/6367210

quote:

No Land Tax Party threatens legal challenge to overturn result

The No Land Tax Party is threatening legal action to force a re-run of the New South Wales election if it does not win an Upper House seat.

"The only way the election won't be overturned is if the judge is on the take or on crystal meth." - No Land Tax Party leader Peter Jones

Counting for seats in the Legislative Council is continuing, with the results not expected to be known until April 15.

The No Land Tax Party fielded candidates in all 93 seats across the state and had thousands of staff handing out how-to-vote cards.

Speaking on Radio National Breakfast, leader Peter Jones confirmed he was currently working on an application to the Court of Disputed Returns to have the state election results overturned.

Mr Jones claimed the party would succeed in having the poll result thrown on the grounds of alleged harassment by the Liberal Party and a glitch in the 'iVote' system.

"The first ground is there was a snafu with iVote system where 18,000 ballots incorrectly issued or issued with mistakes," he said.

"The second ground is we were subjected to an outrageous and unprecedented campaign of dirty tricks and harassment by the Liberal Party."

Mr Jones said he was confident the election results would be overturned.

"I know we'll be successful in overturning this one, it's a dead-set certainty," he said.

"The only way the election won't be overturned is if the judge is on the take or on crystal meth."

ABC Election analyst Antony Green said the party was not going to gain a seat in the Upper House, with the Animal Protection Party the first minor party in line for last seat, but unlikely to get over the line.

He said the iVote glitch did not affect the No Land Tax Party, and a legal challenge would not succeed.

Wages still not paid

The No Land Tax Party has been criticised on social media for not paying election day workers, who were promised $300 on the day.

Mr Jones said 3,000 people were employed to hand out 'how to vote' cards for the party on election day, but 200 had earlier pulled out due to alleged harassment from Liberal Party supporters.

He said he intended to pay the workers next week, which would cost around $1 million.

"They should have been paid this week, but last week when I should have been organising the logistics of their pay, I was running around filling 200 vacancies by people who pulled out because they'd been harassed by the Liberal party," he said.

"We engaged 3,600 but many didn't show up.

"So I'm doing this week what I should have done last week so that means people will be paid next week."

Mr Jones, a former union official, said the workers had been told that "polite and patient people will be paid first and rude and obnoxious people will be paid last".

Campaign run out of Canberra

Mr Jones would not be drawn on who was advising the party as he did not want to "embarrass them", but confirmed that the campaign was being run out of Canberra.

"That's where our campaign advisers and experts are," he said.

When pressed on who they were, he said: "I don't want to embarrass them at the moment."

Mr Jones was then asked why colleagues would consider the disclosure of their involvement in the campaign an embarrassment.

"Not an embarrassment — we've got serious work to do today to make sure these people are paid and the fewer distractions we have, the quicker we'll be able to get that job done," he said.

Mr Jones was asked if any past parliamentarians were behind his party.

"Well there's certainly some people with political pedigree, yes," he said.

"From the Liberal side, definitely from the Liberal side.

"I was asked mainly as a hired gun to give advice to the No Land Tax campaign, for which they've been very grateful. All of them, well almost all of them, are on the Liberal side of politics.

"I was told under no circumstances would we be allowed to prefer the Labor party or the Greens but we had to prefer the Liberal Party and that's precisely what we did."

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Low hanging fruit.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Easter Saturday is a public holiday, except for WA and SA.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

freebooter posted:

I used to earn 150% pay on Easter Saturdays at Coles in Perth? Unless because Coles is a nationwide company they just have across-the-board penalty rates.

It's what the States officially recognise as public holidays. WA may have stopped recognising it in the last couple of years, but they didn't last time I checked which was in December.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

They must have changed it since December. Did SA have it last year?

And apparently only NSW has a public holiday for Sunday.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

They don't make a profit, are squatting on their property and steal all their produce. So their labour costs are directly proportional to their menu prices.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Or don't consume media.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

No this is ice we are talking about. Tony is going to bomb Antarctica.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

freebooter posted:

Don't the bulk of the primaries happen in March? It's an old, old quote by a former crusty right-wing prime minister.

Quick check - March was when Obama pulled ahead in the primaries. I guess even Howard knew the Republicans were dead in the water, and that Hillary is a warhawk or something.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

Apparently the settlement for East-West link will be $339M, more than the $230M the state government first offered, less than the $2Bn the consortium first demanded(obviously a ridiculous ambitclaim)

Send the bill to Napthine.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Who was 2011, 2012

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Best I could do. Couldn't upload it, since the site wouldn't take it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Indoctrination.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

NSW Labor is responsible for many things. Mainly the terribleness of the Labor Party.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Does ScotPol tell people to go Kilt Themselves?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, this thread has the Dead Kennedeys playing in my head.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Murodese posted:

I'd rather have people at a high level that can actually make noise rather than be completely unrepresented, so no?

This is almost the argument Labor Left use to tell people to not vote for the Greens.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You'd think not torturing children would be a given, but here we are.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

Wasn't there already a conversation about the death penalty back in the 60s? It seems like a waste of time anyway, it doesn't have a great deal of support in this country.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollytics/2009/08/28/our-changing-views-on-the-death-penalty/

What happened around 89, 95?
I figure 89 was to execute bankers, but port arthur was 96.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

starkebn posted:

and it costs you $30 a day

The car or the public transport? Because in the example given it'd cap at $15 a day at worst due to daily caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

starkebn posted:

I'm talking about public transport in Brisbane

Yikes.

I can get my weekly public transport cost for under $30. Sydney being not terrible for once.

• Locked thread