Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Looking like the Nats will hang on to Lismore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I bet you guys have been working on some quips that will absolutely decimate John Curtin in the polls

It's curtains for Curtin.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Holy poo poo Fraser was massive

Goo Whitlam was loving huge too, as was Margaret. It was basically how they met, since she was too tall for anybody else to dance with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You Am I posted:

ALP NSW: "The solution to our issues is more right wing members!"
It probably is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

Oo la la, ziggurats, how about that. Like a pyramid but with steps. Incredible.
E: Stepped pyramids are basically the ancestors of actual pyramids

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm torn. I know logically that the system is not as good as it could be but I also believe that the current system encourages people to put enough into super so they will never be dependant on future tax payers.
We give away as much in super deductions (overwhelmingly to high-income earners) as we spend on the pension.

If we eliminated super deductions entirely we could easily handle the (approximately zero) high-income earners who would become dependent on the pension.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

And I'd never be dependant on the pension under the current arrangements as well.

Exactly, we're forgoing tens of billions of dollars of revenue to encourage people to do something they were already going to do.

A pretty similar argument applies for private school funding too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

And many will be worse off - which is pretty much my original question on this whole thing. What was it 20% of people will be worse off?
They will be worse off. They will still be the richest 20% of the population and they'll still have a comfortable retirement.

quote:

Doesn't sound like a compelling argument to me.
Sure, but you're a fuckwit so who gives a poo poo what you find compelling?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"I work for years in the Liberals, but do they call me Chris the party hack? No, they do not.

I spent years at the Australia, but do they call me Chris the shill? No, they do not.

I gently caress ONE dog..."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

[citation needed]

The Greens want to cut the pension that rich people get.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Oh wow, I thought it was already at 1M.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

He should have asked for more.

Seriously though, although the Government's plan is a piece of poo poo (and acknowledging that most of you are a slight tinge of green in your politics and I am not trying to antagonize) but I don't see any party with a compelling plan that would convince people they were able to reduce the reliance on fossil fuels in Australia.

Happy to be convinced otherwise without someone suggesting a place a chemical element in my rectum.

The carbon tax and associated policies (RET, etc) worked though. The problems with it were entirely as a result of Rudd abandoning the ETS and then Gillard's statements shortly before the 2010 election; the actual policies were popular enough for several years before that.

Direct action was never set up to the compelling, convincing or even popular; it was designed to be a policy that looked nothing like Labor's and that wouldn't be hard to implement.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

I struggle a bit with the "worked" aspect of this. I can't see the leap from a RET to no fossil fuels.
You said "reduce the reliance on fossil fuels in Australia" and that's exactly what happened with the RET.

Do you have an instinctive need to move goalposts?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

You'd probably find at least a third of people are in favour of the carbon tax too.

Yeah. Frequently it was around 1/3rd in favour, 1/2 against, and the remainder undecided.

It depends on when the poll was done and what questions were asked but the idea of a carbon tax or ETS was still somewhat popular, despite years of negative campaigning from Abbott. It was considerably more popular before Abbott took over and before Rudd abandoned the idea.

E: Direct Action has never, ever been popular.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

teacup posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...413-1mjr4n.html

Why is Hockey even commenting on this poo poo!?

Someone probably asked him at a press conference. His answer isn't particularly controversial.

Although "lay down misere" is a fairly funny way of describing a method of winning an election.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 13, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I dunno, I think telling Costello he was treasurer in an easy time to be treasurer is a fair point too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Leunig has been making that kind of noise for years hasn't he?

He's still a better cartoonist than First Dog because he understands that cartoons involve pictures.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

yo, bros, why is the gst said to be a regressive tax when since it applies to everyone it sounds like it should be an equitable tax. i heard somewhere, clarke and dawe i think, that its regressive bc consumption makes up a great proportion of poor peoples income than highers. how does that work? it doesnt sound obvious to me

That's exactly it.

A person earning 500k doesn't eat 10 times as much food as someone earning 50k, and realistically the increase in quality isn't enough to make up the difference. The same applies to lots of other essential goods and services (they don't drive 10x as far either).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

The only good thing about the GST is that consumption taxes are harder to avoid than income taxes.

Which is a pretty big thing, and why basically every country has some form of sales tax.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Les Affaires posted:

At this stage, I'm thinking the "debt and deficit levy" on top earners may actually stay put into the future and not be repealed.

Given the main plan for addressing the deficit seems to be bracket creep I think you're right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

Wouldnt our already shakey consumer confidence levels drop thought the floor if the poor and debt laden middle lower class suddenly had to pay 5% more on everything? It sounds like a terrible idea in a stuttering economy.

Yes, but nobody would propose raising the GST by 5% without a bunch of other measures at the same time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I will bet real money that when the GST gets raised it will be accompanied by cutting stamp duty.

Which will be fun for the real estate bubble, of course.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Frogmanv2 posted:

You do realise that stamp duty was supposed to be abolished when they brought in the gst, yeah?
I'd forgotten, but it's a fair point.

The real estate market has changed massively over the past 15 years though, and there's more pressure to be seen to do something about housing affordability.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

Replace stamp duty with an land value tax.
Yeah, it's one of the things that keeps popping up in every tax review.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Was there a TPP thread floating around somewhere?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amethyst posted:

It wasn't just the herald sun either, noted dullard Annabel Crabb wrote this:
From memory Crabb later said she kinda regretted writing that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Stuff from NZ counts as Australian when we like it, it's in the constitution.

• Locked thread