Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How can one man be so lame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If only voting were compulsory.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People who live in Griffith?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Who cares? The Democrats may be pointless but at least they're harmless. It's not like he's a member of the ALP.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.australian-democrats.org.au/balloted-policies.php#.VRtMuuFPg-s

Tell whoever runs the site that almost 40 separate PDFs is not a good way to spread the word.

They don't seem terrible, they could be the Nationals to the Greens' Liberals.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they're that close to being deregistered it seems like a good time to join.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Endman posted:

It figures my first gang tag would be a dumb joke.

Yeah you should really get a more serious tag.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Endman posted:

You mean you don't hate boat people?

That's just a coincidence.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/it-...331-1mbwd4.html

It's just too cheap.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe there's a new Burzum album coming out.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Shouldn't the AFL and the NRL be handling all that stuff internally anyway? I never really understood why we're paying for ASADA to regulate sports that have plenty of their own money.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

So we're not only paying for the regulation, we're paying for the privilege of regulating them?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gough Suppressant posted:

No serious sporting body on the planet handles their own PED screening process.

Maybe not, but they should at least pay for it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I was supposed to get the NBN in 2016 under the old plan. The new, faster, cheaper, plan doesn't even bother to estimate the year it might be installed in my street.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'd imagine it's because it excludes handsets.
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...2014&num=&view=

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

CrazyTolradi posted:

"The volume of data downloaded via mobile handsets for the three months ended 31 December 2014 was 52,745 Terabytes, a 36% increase from the three months ended 30 June 2014. This represents 4% of total data downloaded."

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...2014&num=&view=

It was in response to the counter intuitiveness of the data volume for wireless devices dropping. It's dropping for non-handset wireless devices.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The outrage is a bit rich when it's coming from the government. If they didn't know that this kind of thing happens in the racing industry then it's because they were willfully ignorant.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

The true competition in sport lies in training regimens, political maneuvering and finance, steroids and dietary management. Given this, we should stop kidding ourselves and just build robots to replace the current inferior human substitutes. That way we can stop acting like sport has anything to do with the players or human competition and acknowledge its true roots in entertainment and corporatism. Tens of thousands of human lives will be spared from the sinister manipulations of greedy enterprise and with a proper focus on artificial intelligence and engineering maybe sports as an industry can actually serve some goddamn use for once instead of retaining all its medical research for the cutting edge of an unethical and inaccessible black market

This was a plot line in one of the Red Dwarf novels, except with genetic engineering instead of robots.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ahh yes, the nurse glut.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

An unsympathetic clergy? How peculiar.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

It makes perfect sense. You just don't like it. You assume everything will stay the same.

For example, some clinical nurse could make a poorly judged decision to cross the road in front of a bus.

Suddenly Australian society is left with a tard orphan to support who should have been living in another country.

Bear witness the strength of his iron logic, cower in fear.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They would, they wouldn't have any other choice.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How would you implement it? Different price tags for people on different incomes?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

What kind of companies, which industries, you slugs!

I'm trying to save my super from ruin

I always got the impression they were the kind of company you get into through your friend at the golf course, not the kind of thing that is easily accessible to most people.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You have to post the ad.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Get a medical certificate before your meeting.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Does discrimination law apply to people working on Manus? I suppose people who work in a concentration camp probably don't take their religion too seriously anyway.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

I thought that was a joke.

Then I realised that it was real - and still a joke.

Obviously some people struggle with the concept of a surcharge that the vast majority of people understand and will pay.

I'm sure they'll retain the surcharge even if penalty rates are cut.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

Australian news is so loving poo poo.

In the past few hours, I've seen three separate news (one was a news break, but still) saying how nine major industrial bodies has banded together to petition the government for major changes to the economy. But not ONE said what those changes were to be.

You can read it here. It's just vague bullshit about tough decisions. See their other lobbying efforts for what they're actually asking for.
http://www.acci.asn.au/Research-and...ders-on-boostin

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

As much as I feel it's a bit inconsistent for a supposedly secular society to have legislated religious holidays, I shudder to think what they would be replaced with. We'd end up celebrating Arthur Calwell's birthday or something.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's just idiot small business owners being sold a grievance and exploited by big businesses that are smart enough not to damage their own reputation. While I don't think the banks are singularly behind it it'll be them, healthcare companies, cleaning companies, aged care providers, larger retail operators, etc that will benefit from it. Cafes and pubs and other small businesses are going to struggle just as much as they do now without penalty rates.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 7, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hiddenmovement posted:

Can't the reason that most restaurants and pubs struggle be put down to the overwhelming competition (or in the case of suburban pubs, excessively restrictive liquor liscencing laws)? It seems super idiotic to me to blame high wages when you've opted to enter a massively oversaturated industry with high start up costs.

I don't know about other cities but in Canberra high rents are a problem. A few years ago I was wondering what it would take to open a small pub (not that I had any real intention of actually going through with it), and the rents would have meant $10 beers or a shitload more customers than I'd like. No wonder they all rely on pokies.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Good to see the ice problem is about to be over.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm just amazed that they expect people to take them seriously. If an ice taskforce (taskfarce?) is going to solve the ice problem then why did they wait 15 years after ice started to get popular to set it up? Why haven't taskforces been set up to solve other drug problems? Even if it was actually going to work the way they say it will it would still make them look bad.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Laserface posted:

Why dont they just legalise all drugs and tax them on par with smokes and piss? instant surplus.

And give in to degeneracy? We have standards in this country.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The Amsterdam of the south.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Labor will support it, obviously.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Labor with popularity are a little like a mule with a spinning wheel.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The mood of this thread seems to oscillate wildly from 'gently caress the ANZACs' to 'people don't respect the ANZACs properly'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's awfully similar to the 'climate change was invented to enrich climate scientists' argument.

• Locked thread