Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Oh cool, I started work at 6 this morning and on Sunrise they're interviewing a kid named Anzac who is the 5th in his extended family to be named such after their grandfather who was an indigenous Australian soldier and this makes my skin crawl as a returned serviceman this is the toughest time of the year for me and yes I've had 4 coffees already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Orkin Mang posted:

i worked int he serviec industry too, whats ur opinion on tipping?

Made my own mate #jobcreator

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Freudian Slip posted:

I didn't watch it, but I heard that it rated poorly because it didn't show the ANZACs kicking arse and was closer to reality. The same way that pearl harbour the movie flopped because it showed the Americans getting the poo poo kicked out of them.

Pearl Harbour flopped because it focused on a terrible love story and was badly written and acted. I would love a movie called Pozieres which is 90 minutes of Australians being murdered, no heroes.

So many bad ANZAC profiteering shills, at least some of it goes to (bad) charities.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Aaaaaaand it's gone, before I could find a tasteful nude vegie pose.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I know it's tumblr but...

http://anzacprofit.tumblr.com/

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=2812
Relevant

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Eat poops tollwanters and roadhavers.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

starkebn posted:

gently caress it, just read this.

http://io9.com/how-the-most-daring-plan-of-wwi-turned-into-a-military-1698732738

it's written by a non Aussie so it actually talks about the campaign without all the jingoism

There was a decent article in The Age that reinforced the importance of the campaign to the Turks. Lionising Atatürk and giving confidence to that nation in its nascent stage. A lot of their cultural history is borne out of that conflict.

I feel that the jingoism is somewhat ignored or treated with scorn amongst most Australians, just look how badly these television specials have been received and the backlash against some of the corporate shilling. That's not to say everything is rosy, there are behaviours and ideas I find repellant that are constantly brought up and unchallenged.

That Gallipoli gave rise to our identity is ludicrous. That we are the nation we are today (whatever that means) shows a complete ignorance of early Australian conflict, if that is how you define our early national character (it shouldn't be). Our achievements on the Western Front were more bloody. The Light Horse, more daring. Monash, more progressive. These men deserve solemn commemorating, but their sacrifices are of themselves more sanctifying than whatever ceremony we devote to them.

No matter what TV special, reenactment, or branded hoody we dream up, they only serve to cheapen and commodify the acts of those who went through the all too real and repeated horror of war.

My own experiences filter my feelings on the day. I come from a family with 120 years of service across 3 generations, including myself. I was never shown blatant jingoism on the day growing up. The military I experienced was very removed from the public beyond doing catafalque parties then mingling with veterans. We would then gather and celebrate our good health and to the memory of fallen mates. To me it's a bittersweet day that is not very much concerned about the idea of nationhood but of lives ended without ascribing ideals beyond 'mateship', which has been overwrought and hijacked by those seeking viewer numbers, website clicks or other attention. I blame Howard.

The idea of Anzac is an ongoing discussion. In today's age, where vicarious experience is the norm, there has been a fervent attempt to use Anzac 'experiences' to have that conversation, but today's world is so separate from when Gallipoli even was that it rings as cheap and insincere instead of solemn. Channel 7 hiring Roberts-Smith seems so crass, on both their behalves. It is simply not done that someone cultivates their celebrity using a VC, but that is exactly what RS is doing, being on the cover of Men's Health, charging $700p/head to speak at a dinner, and so forth. It has seemingly seen him widely ostracised from the military for turning what is seen as the ultimate reward for bravery into media leverage. Look at every VC winner across our history, has any of them been as massive a flog as this guy?

Anyway sorry for the ramble, I know this thread loves to homogeneify soldiers but I have a complicated understanding and experience of the day and I felt like indulging that.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Drugs posted:

Has an Auspol thread ever been gassed before? We should have a crack at making this one the first

I did my best.

:itwaspoo:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

You Am I posted:

God's Wrath is finally destroying Sydney, and about time. God knows that Melbourne is the better city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Also laughing at Barnaby on TV calling for a 'discussion' on the death penalty in Australia.

I for one, am for Barnaby Joyce to be put to death. I propose he kills his are self.

• Locked thread