Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cpaf posted:

It's no wonder you melted down when this thread pulled you up on your misogynistic attitude to Julia Gillard, you're a child

You got called out on your lack of engineering knowledge and attack the poster. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cpaf posted:

Yeah sorry for breaking the trend in this thread of reasonable discussion lmao

please take it to the pyramid and ancient monuments construction megathread

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure the iiNet shareholders rejected the TPG takeover bid out of hand because they weren't interested in selling

While the shareholders are unhappy they have no say in it - it's up to the board.

Kommando posted:

Netflix adopters have realised Australian Internet is poo poo, really poo poo and started complaining. iinet blames Telstra.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/iinet-blames-telstra-for-slow-netflix-connection-speeds-20150331-1mblrj.html

As always, the oversubscription models ISPs use to offset the huge backhaul / AGVC costs begin to fall apart when people actually use their services.

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 1, 2015

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Scylo posted:

The NSW Legislative Council results won't be final until tomorrow, but here's what Anthony Green thinks it will be

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2015/04/legislative-council-count-updates.html

I really hope the No Land Tax 'party' doesn't get up :(

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

gotta keep those house prices high

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

The contract negotiations are going to be interesting.

Not a word of complaint if the Opposition campaigns on a "tear up the contract" platform.

Why does this country have such a hard-on for motorways all of a sudden?

Some of the articles that have been doing the rounds over the past few days:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/apr/28/end-of-the-car-age-how-cities-outgrew-the-automobile

quote:

End of the car age: how cities are outgrowing the automobile

Cities around the world are coming to the same conclusion: they’d be better off with far fewer cars. So what’s behind this seismic shift in our urban lifestyles? Stephen Moss goes on an epic (car-free) journey to find out

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/committee-for-sydneys-tim-williams-slams-road-building-plans-for-city-20150429-1mv3vq.html

quote:

Committee for Sydney's Tim Williams slams road building plans for city

"many other cities in the world are taking their highway capacity out and I'm just wondering, what is so different about the Australian city experience that means that they're wrong and we are right?"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Need to get that flying cars poo poo happening.

Practical problems to overcome in public transport.

It takes me 35 minutes to drive to work which is OK, but I leave as just after 6AM so I only have to navigate manic tradies.

I've tried taking public transport. If I drive to the nearest train station it takes a hour and a half. If I didn't use the car at all you could add 15 minutes to that easily.

It's an impossible choice. Either lose productivity in a massive way by starving the road system until alternatives catch up or just carry on as we are watching the gap grow larger.

It's because you live in a place designed for the automobile. Trying to live without one is always going to be poo poo. Sydney has the population density of a wet fart so of course everyone chooses to drive everywhere and public transport barely works in most places. We built the city badly and we continue to power on - somehow believing if we stay the course everything will work out even though it hasn't for 40 years. "Just one more motorway! this one is the missing link! then traffic will be solved!".

The debate shouldn't be 'should we build roads or rail in our current city' it should be 'how can we fix our city'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Negligent posted:

if you support public transport, are white and wealthy you can just live in perth anywhere along the fremantle rail line. you can go to and from work in the company of other lovely, environmentally conscious middle class white people and circlejerk each other all the way from north freo to east perth, with nary a person of colour in sight.

Truly wealthy people will purchase along the train line and then continue to drive to work.

• Locked thread