Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
iiNet was like the one successful company from Perth and the second they get taken over by TPG they will go to poo poo because TPG has the magical excrement finger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Who actually posts from a computer in YOOL 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Counter protests are pretty dumb why make a boring 'handful of racists hold rally' story into a headline 'police arrested three people' story

Top story on news.com.au

VIOLENCE erupted at protests across Australia as anti-Islamisation and anti-racism groups clashed at rival rallies.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 4, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

It's easier to post dumb pictures than words

It's okay to post dumb words if the people reading them are dumber

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

jesus loving christ australia what is wrong with you

i mean you verified a bunch of treaties. the convention against torture. the iccpr.

oh wait that poo poo is not domestically legally binding

ok come the revolution kill all the lawyers

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Actually a US company can be sued in federal court for acts that occurred in a foreign country under the Alien Tort statue.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The fact that people have supposedly died for a flag just means that people are loving stupid.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Fasting for three days would actually improve the health of most Australians

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

why doesnt Australia have a national id card.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Urcher posted:

Because it would be an entirely pointless massive security risk and target for identity theft

its not pointless its very handy to have an official id. even a country like Thailand, which does not have its poo poo together in lots of ways, has a national id card.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Urcher posted:

If there was a card that was accepted as identification for all dealings with the government then either:

1. Anyone who found it could use it for identity theft via any of tax evasion, welfare fraud, electoral fraud (lol), medicare fraud, or other similar means, or
2. You would need to combine it with other ID to do any of the above, in which case it has no benefit over the existing systems that ask for 100 points of ID by combining a range of different ID documents

Also whoever administered the database would either:

1. Leave it open to *hackerz* due to inept information security/software development
2. Share it with the police/other government departments without proper oversight
3. Sell it to the highest bidder
4. All of the above

the government already has your dick pics bro

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I don't understand what value a national ID would bring when there's already so much state ID that's accepted and recognised on a national level - and follow national guidelines, surely? E.g. I don't imagine Tasmania could go "Nah your driver's license doesn't need a photo on it or even your DOB, just make your mark on this here bit of cardboard and she'll be right" and have it be accepted as valid ID outside of Tasmania.

Creating a national ID wouldn't remove the need for department/service-specific IDs, such as Medicare, Driver's licenses, etc etc. You'd still have those and use them for those fields, you'd just have an extra card for non-specific purposes, which already accept driver's licenses or whatever you get if you don't have a license.

It seems a pretty big waste of money to me? And it's not like you can just rip the 'drivers license' part out of the states and lift that to a federal level without touching the rest of it. I guess I just really don't understand the "pro" side of it and how it could in any way shape or form come close to offsetting the "con" part of it. Where's the need? Where's the benefit? Why are we talking about it?

so your points in order are

1. there is already a core minimum common content of state ids
2. a national id doesnt obviate need for specific cards for specific purposes
3. its a waste of money

so what is wrong with taking point 1 and standardising it as a national id card

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

First step ID card,
Second step killing fields.

cambodia isnt on the list of countries that has an id card

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_identity_card_policies_by_country

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

why do we need a national id given that (as i understand it) all aussie state photo id already adheres to international photo id standards and is recognised in all of australia?

i mean, you could do it if you wanted, but why? what purpose does it serve? it's throwing money away to nationally centralise a process that is already standardised and valid across all states. you wouldn't be replacing something, you're just adding another level to what already exists and you can't come up with a reason why...

because your point 2 above is false, standardisation across jurisdictions means a form of id can be widely accepted for purposes that currently require a standalone medicare, veterans etc card

a drivers licence is not primarily meant as a proof of identity, it is a proof of entitlement to drive.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If I did a long shift delivering I got a free pizza.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What point 2, sorry?

I don't understand your distinction for the driver's license either. A driver's license is proof of entitlement to drive AND photographic proof of identity within that scope, but it is a powerful enough proof that it is accepted as a form of identity all across Australia (and overseas as well in many countries). There are other state-provided forms of photo ID for people who dont drive. National ID wouldnt be creating anything new or elevating state responsibility to a federal level. It'd be creating another card that already exists in every functional quality at the state level

the thing you were getting at unless I misunderstood your 2nd paragraph is; a national id doesnt obviate need for specific cards for specific purposes.

you still need a specific proof of entitlement for driving, receiving govt benefits, etc.

but as has been pointed out. a national id designed for the specific purpose of providing an official proof of a person's identity as its prime purpose, rather than an ancilliary effect of having another form of photo id which is a de facto id, is advantageous by itself. there is value in having a thing that says, the commonwealth of australia recongises this person's identity, as opposed to a thing that says the state of western australia recognises this persons right to drive a vehicle and incidentally this is what they look like, where they live and when they were born.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 15, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

When the refugees get to Cambodia they will enjoy having better internet than Australia.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The best thing for everyone is if asylum seekers accept prime minister Hun Sen's kind offer of refuge in Cambodia.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Australia actually gives them plane tickets and accommodation in lovely Cambodia. The Khmer people welcome everyone.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Also the Greeks, Italians and other EU countries that are getting flooded with illegal migrants are talking in really loud voices about burden sharing and sending Africans to Estonia and Latvia.

Which just goes to show how great we are for sending people to Cambodia. A lovely place with friendly people and good internet.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

Also landmines and other unexploded ordnance.

Great swathes of Europe have been battlefields recently enough for there still to be heaps of explodey things around. Doesn't mean it's not nice there.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Men are to blame for raping women, not countries.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Cambodia is on the up and the Khmer are genuinely lovely people.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If I was offered the same relocation package, which has been reported as cash, free healthcare and accommodation, I would take it. As I've been saying, Cambodia is lovely.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

I've got a mate over there now who got shook down by Cambodian police for all his, and his mates, money.

Sounds like a lovely and welcoming country for foreigners.

Congrats your wealthy first worlder mates contributed to the economic development of Cambodia.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Mad Katter posted:

Can we organise this? I'll chip in $50 to send Negligent to Cambodia on the condition that he can't come back.
I'll take the same conditions they get: can't go back to Australia or Nauru.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

No because I didn't come here illegally by boat

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I missed the part where the deal is open to people assessed as a risk? (It isn't)

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Sludge Tank posted:

Bestiality is legal in Cambodia FYI

Is persecution on grounds of sexuality a legit reason to claim asylum

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

katlington posted:

Calling negligent a troll is incredibly generous. Besides, who's trying to convince who? In order to change your views they first have to hold them. Negligent is a just reflection. They don't actually believe the things they say, they barely even understand them.

Have you ever been to Cambodia? It's really nice. That is a view that I have. Maybe when you go there and see for yourself instead of regurgitating other people's experiences you will understand the incredible generosity of spirit Australia is demonstrating by sending people there.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Cambodia has only a few white people and therefore is prima facie better than Australia, because all white people are poo poo and should basically commit self genocide. The world would be much better for it.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

katlington posted:

gently caress it's funny when an idiot tries to use somebody's words against them and completely mangles the context.

Whether Cambodia is a nice place is definitely the problem people have with Australia's refugee policy. Way to go, genius. lmfao

Third country resettlement is A Thing in world politics. Did you see that migrant boat that sank? Yeah Europe thinks the solution to that is to help Italy and Greece by letting migrants go to Estonia, Latvia, places like that. It is a policy solution that is going to become more of A Thing worldwide, not less, despite how the Australian Greens (lol) might feel. Enjoy pushing against a mountain.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

sorry Cambodia doesn't want more lovely white people

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

the word anzac even has nz right there to remind you how many countries we're talking about but w/e make it a nationalist event

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Cambodia actually is lovely and if you're white you should probably shut the gently caress up about how lovely it is.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

our country was lovely until white people arrived is a thing literally every country ever said

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

fun fact if all the white people committed self genocide the human development index of every country would increase

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Endman posted:

The third world sucks in no small part due to the actions of white people, an

thats what im sayin

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

i mean white people even came up with a term like third world to make sure it seems like non whites are an other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Endman posted:

You're saying that if we wreck somewhere, the totally sane thing to do afterwards is send all these brown people we don't want to live there?

You're hosed up, dude.

the gently caress i'm not white

• Locked thread