Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I know he was a piece of poo poo but drat if I'm not horribly addicted to watching Keating QT videos

Don't speak I'll of the greatest man to ever tear up the floor at question time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

So it looks like someone is burning down churches connected to pedophiles.

Good.

yay, destruction of property! that's a rational response

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

Won't someone think of the poor institution which systematically enables and protects practicing pedophiles!

To bad for the local community groups who might have been using it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I bet you're one of those nerds that sneer at protests when they disrupt traffic

No, I've taken part in a few peaceful marches in my time, I just think destroying someone's property as a form of revenge is just stupid. As a message all you're saying is "I'm emotional!" and the person /entity has every right to go to the authorities and seek compensation.

See also every "hilarious" break-up story.

PS: I have three young kids and if I found out someone had abused them in any way I would likely go off my tree too, but I don't think it's the right thing to do.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

This is disgusting.

Men are obviously the problem, I wonder if they kill their partners as much in gay male relationships?

starkebn fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 1, 2015

starkebn
May 18, 2004

How many pups does a Greyhound mother have? 4-6? So, say it's the pups of 10 dogs and the trainers didn't think they were viable to race?

You're kidding yourself if you think this is some sort of unique grave, it is my guess that's it's just standard procedure every 6 months or so.

The industry sucks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Current Telstra and Optus offer up to 100mbps. Maybe you won't be able to do it streaming from the US but 4 4K streams from Australian servers should be ok?

That's theoretical, the question is where in Australia has the infrastructure that can really handle it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Tokamak posted:

Wrestling, oh wait...

WWE type wrestling federations aren't sport

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Drugs posted:

Who cares about internet you nerds, footy's back!

Pertinent username

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What's the thread's opinion on Israel?

Sodastream was a big treat during my childhood

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Weren't there some liberal cards done in green saying something like "if you're going to vote green, then put us as number two"? Totally opposite to what your dad is on about though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hah , that's exactly what I was thinking of but I had it backwards. Shows how reliable my memory is.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Murodese posted:

No, that happened as well.

Ooh, I'm glad then

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

That's a fair point. I just figured 'abor' was either a Queensland thing or someone who can't spell so good.

It's just an abbreviation of Aboriginal that's not Abo you dolt

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Matthew Beet posted:

It's not false claims, if they've felt offended they have a right to raise the grievance. It can be investigated and followed up on or dismissed, but they definitely are allowed to complain about it.

The false claims officers are the two who were trying to cover for the sergeant, not the two who had descriptors next to their names.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

Is it? It's not that clear. I still don't regard that as a particularly good article though.

No you're right, it's not clear. I got the wrong impression. It could be anyone really going by the wording.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It would be nice if this was the catalyst to start the dismantling of exemptions for religious reasons

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

Why? Stats needed on why vaccination is being rejected first please before we turn it into a holy war I would have thought.

Because "religious reasons" are a belief. Some people's beliefs shouldn't take precedence over someone else's. Some people's beliefs shouldn't get preferential treatment.

If the science says vaccination helps everyone, you shouldn't be able to choose to opt out just because of your beliefs.

If economics says everyone should pay tax to help everyone else, you shouldn't get preferential treatment because of your beliefs.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Everyone is bitching about paying for a licence, make the national id card free to issue, like a Medicare card.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Matthew Beet posted:

I don't know why urchers great response on why there is no need for a national ID card was ignored.

Because any of his points are valid for any of the cards we currently have also? And his point 2 is pure speculation and dependent on implementation.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Matthew Beet posted:

No, and in that case this whole discussion is just speculation because no one has articulated a good reason as to why we would need one.

I thought we were talking about something people could use when they need id to vote

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

mate we gotta introduce national id cards, otherwise how will people satisfy the id requirements of voting that we're also introducing, its just common fuckin sense mate

Assuming there's a good reason to require id to vote (another argument) then you have people complaining that means people have to pay for id. Consider the idea of a national id card, which I've never argued would have to be compulsory, and people argue against that too because of what? People can steal the details, which can quite easily happen now anyway?

Is not greatly necessary, but if a national id could reduce some state & federal redundancy it's possible it wouldn't cost anything more to administer.

But, hurr, Nazis tattooed their prisoners during the holocaust...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

katlington posted:

That was clearly about morrison being an inhuman monster and not ID=nazis.

If that's so then I read it incorrectly. We can all agree Morrison is an utter arsehole.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Endman posted:

The UN would be a much better organisation if it wasn't at the mercy of a council whose permanent members are some of the biggest war criminals in the world.

We need to make our own UN, with blackjack and hookers

(does the UN already have blackjack and hookers?)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

They should increase the amount taken in every income tax bracket by a whole bunch, but also increase the tax free threshold massively

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pred1ct posted:

Jesus christ, teaching women how to deal with 'risky situations'. I assume it involves teaching MMA moves and how to take down attackers Bourne Identity style because you wouldn't be blaming women for walking on the street right?

Mate, if you dress nice and have a few drinks at a club Saturday night you're just asking for anything that can happen to you.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Australia's defining moment.

In terms of losses, the Turks suffered 86,692 dead, the French about 18,700, the Anzacs 11,430, and the British nearly 40,000.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

gently caress it, just read this.

http://io9.com/how-the-most-daring-plan-of-wwi-turned-into-a-military-1698732738

it's written by a non Aussie so it actually talks about the campaign without all the jingoism

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Don't loving start up

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Lid posted:

Their scurred

Scared enough to scare off Labor and their votes probably :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

quote:

hindering the working of mining equipment

I'm sad that it doesn't surprise me this is an actual charge

starkebn
May 18, 2004

A horrible, pointless act - but how much reporting and condemnation of Indonesia's, and other countries', executions and death penalty policies has there been before the last few months?

Popularist bullshit, they've been on death row for a decade ffs.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

A whole bunch of progressive countries should give money to an organisation like Human Rights Watch to run education campaigns in countries that could do with changing. If it's Widodo that's been pushing this there is not going to be any way to change his mind if the population is behind him.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

because if the politicians are genuinely weepy about this the only way to see any change is through education of the masses.

But I guess it's not about that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yes, trying to educate other countries is pretty colonial. I just can't see anything changing worldwide about the death penalty unless people get information on why others think it's a rotten idea.

Plenty of other things most people in those countries need first though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Let's just keep in mind that most elected officials will do everything in there power to stay elected. They will say and do whatever they think their voting base want to hear on any particular issue.

They will happily contradict themselves by saying one thing and implementing another.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Laserface posted:

Its because our society is built on the idea that to be something you have to had got there by yourself.

Get a job, get a car, leave home, struggle paying off your own house because renting is just leaning on someone else, do everything on your own to prove you are capable.

Public transport is seen as 'well im too poor to have my own car so I will use the governments car instead' and also full of disgusting people so yeah, people avoid it at all costs.

If I could walk 5 minutes to a train, get on the train and get to work in 40min and then walk another 5 to the office, that would be awesome. Currently its a 25min walk to the station, one train to redfern then a change to another line, and then a 10min walk. it takes longer than driving in lovely traffic and not only that, its surrounded by Australians so why wouldnt I want to sit in my car, windows up, stereo on, and no one loving drooling on me or making me sick?

and it costs you $30 a day

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

The car or the public transport? Because in the example given it'd cap at $15 a day at worst due to daily caps.

I'm talking about public transport in Brisbane

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I'm being hyperbolic, I don't travel anywhere. It's probably closer to $15 to from where I am to the city and back every day.

The sticker shock when you want to take a family of 5 to the museum on a Sunday is rude though, paying for parking makes way more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

You don't mention how much nicer it is to be in a sealed vehicle when the weather is bad.

• Locked thread