Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Australia: bad country, bad politics, bad posters, bad thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ScreamingLlama posted:

They compounded the fuckup by using the wrong logo. That's RebootD's design: the official logo is still the old dark green and gold one.

I love that this is the stale corpse of a political party which you are desperately clinging on to. A name that people associate with a massive policy backflip; a logo that no one recognises and is confused with one from a warring splinter faction.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-state...331-1mc0pj.html

I remember someone here telling a HTV worker that they were getting scammed?

This is perhaps the most libertarian thing the no land tax party can do.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

No serious sporting body on the planet handles their own PED screening process.

Wrestling, oh wait...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Kommando posted:

I'm on Optus HFC installed a little over a year ago and i can get a consistent 30Mbit/1Mbit inter-australia, with the option of going up to 50/20 and 100/40 down/up.

For HFC, a street/area is hooked up to single broadcasting unit (similar to the way a broadcast tower services an area). This is fine when you are broadcasting TV, since everyone wants to receive the same signal. For Internet, the cable provider takes a TV channel and instead of broadcasting frames of audio/video, they broadcast frames of data.

The speed of cable Internet is determine by how much data fits inside a data 'frame' divided among the number of people requesting data. If there aren't a lot of people in the area signed up and using the Internet, you will get all of the data in a frame to yourself. But as soon as other people in the area request data (say at 5-10pm), your speeds will go to poo poo since the frame is split between hundreds of other people.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Who is Peter Jones? The guy seems pretty outspoken for being a minor party. It appears pretty transparent that someone had done a deal with the minor party who drew first on the ballot to try and buy a senator.
The quip about polite people being paid first, and rude people last is something a scam artist would say to keep people hanging. I doubt anyone's getting paid if they aren't getting a seat.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Reclaim Germany from extremist Jews.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

And yet nobody who has called for a change to penalty rates has asked for the scheme to be abolished, just modified.

modify all those penalty rates away :sweep:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

However, this is the kind of legislative reaction you will get though when media tart lawyers are doing anything and everything to bring any aspect of offshore detention into Australian courts.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Oh cool, I started work at 6 this morning and on Sunrise they're interviewing a kid named Anzac who is the 5th in his extended family to be named such after their grandfather who was an indigenous Australian soldier and this makes my skin crawl as a returned serviceman this is the toughest time of the year for me and yes I've had 4 coffees already

Ooh Rah :downs:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

has birb, voted 5.

katlington posted:

Lmao what a piece of poo poo.

pretty much.

Pickled Tink posted:

The prime minister says other governments ‘would succumb to the cries of the human rights lawyers’ over asylum seekers

Tony is going to Reclaim Australia

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

I must say as a side note gently caress you people have a collection of poo poo boss stories that would sink a ship. What do you do to the management? Tell them to get hosed or kill themselves to their faces?

You must be pretty sheltered (or are a manager), I feel like almost everyone I know have bad management stories. The problem with middle-management is that only the worst people apply for them. They have no stand out skills (otherwise they would have a different job) and they tow the line of upper management/act in a stereotypical manager way (doing counter productive poo poo like keeping staff on knife edges, not listening to staff advice/potential problems, and kicking problems down the line until they cost 10x to solve).

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

quote:

Obviously, big mistakes were made in the immediate aftermath of the Iraq invasion. Disbanding the Iraqi army meant that there were half a million unemployed men with guns. Disbanding the Baathist civil service meant that no one in authority knew how anything worked. There seems to have been a catastrophic lack of anticipation of the obvious once the immediate invasion was over. To President Bush's credit, though, he belatedly acknowledged these disasters and put in place a policy to remedy them. Iraq will need substantial Western help for some years to come, but, thanks to the surge, there's now every chance that it will come to resemble Jordan or Egypt rather than Iran or Somalia. The creation of a more-or-less functioning pluralist democracy in the Middle East would be no inconsiderable achievement and could even justify the immense sacrifices made. If this eventuates, history will be far kinder to George W. Bush than his contemporaries have been.

- Tony Abbott, Battlelines

Iran is about as good of a place as a country which at the time was in the middle of a civil war. I wonder what has changed to make Iran seem like a good place to send back refugees. By his own admission he makes it sound like a place where no one should have to live.

Also lol about the rest of that section.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

norp posted:

http://theconversation.com/want-worker-wages-to-rise-end-the-corporate-income-tax-39287

I know this is a U.S. article but is this just the usual neocon ladder curve bullshit or is there something to this?

I wouldn't mind America trying this for a decade so they can further blow out their budget and have nothing to show for it. Then we can finally lay this one to bed, but this because I don't live in America.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The last nine out of eleven panels are non sequitur. The headings on most them are barely something that could be optimistically interpreted as a show/movie title :wtc:

Did the author contract a degenerative brain disease a couple years ago? It was never this bad before, surely.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

also if they develop a vaccine to prevent homosexuality they should make that mandatory for children too because regardless of the moral question of homosexuality the social ostracisation of non-hetero humans is so severe that to permit your child to suffer it when there is a choice is akin to child cruelty

*grins slowly and opens pandora's box*

lol,

sike

I too support viral-diversity. You can not judge one viral lifestyle from another, hence you must treat them equally. immunisation is a dog whistle for viral gentrification.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

Who was 2011, 2012

mills or iwc

Endman posted:

Is there a huge crisis in Australian literacy? Because nobody seems to read anything any more, especially not before either blindly advertising it or declaring it partisan to a senate enquiry.

It was for a spokesperson/advertising role, and was given extracts of the report. He relied on the mistaken assumption that is was representative of the whole and that politicians wouldn't overtly lie and deceive people. Aside from the basic logic/'correctness' of the report, he doesn't have the expertise to judge the underlying assumptions/data of the report. Yeah, he probably should have done a little more research before taking the job.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Serrath posted:

...why does the intergenerational report need a celebrity in the first place? Is this a common practice with other government reports? What is the advertising campaign actually meant to advertise?

the the upcoming policies of election 2016.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Wouldnt our already shakey consumer confidence levels drop thought the floor if the poor and debt laden middle lower class suddenly had to pay 5% more on everything? It sounds like a terrible idea in a stuttering economy.

I get the feeling that people might be more receptive to the rate rise as the lesser of two evils. Taxing income or carbon is unfair because they can't help earning money and using power ('hands off my money'). Taxation at the point of sale gives the customer a sense of control over the tax. So they can end up thinking poo poo like, "just spend less" and "i will get a better deal than my neighbour because they spend their money on dumb stuff'. It is easier to externalise the cost because the increase will be offset by being more savvy, and the increase to everything else can be blamed on something else (food getting more expensive is not unusual) or simply ignored.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

So that's a 'yes, consumer condidence will fall.'

Oh yeah, but the average person probably won't frame it that way. If the government pushes it as something the people want/accept, and not a numbers argument then it may not come up as an obstacle. Everything's looking good aboard the SS Abbott until the consumer confidence icebergs sneak up on it. Which by then will be too late and we are left with a turd of a tax (which lets face it will never be reduced).

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Unless these are brand new coal plants, 35 years would mean that they live a full life ;)

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

duck monster posted:

Whats happening here? Why are the cops dragging off a little girl?

it was from an old bust the budget rally.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

a prescient comment.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tithin posted:

She's also said she's leaving the UK if Labour takes office, given her admiration for this government, where do you think she's coming next?

I hope she flies over on Malaysia Airlines.

Pretty sure Abbott is on record saying he drinks shandies instead of beer straight up which makes this transparent attempt to Hawke-ise himself even more loving pathetic.

its piss, sweet sweet piss.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

If your alternate policies are so good why aren't they enacted? Check mate lefties. I guess it is for the best that we keep refugees locked up indefinitely on a tiny remote island.
Oh well, back to huffing me own farts. It's a good life being an iwc posting gimmick.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

this thread... this thread.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Laserface posted:

Christ almighty this thread is terrible.

Continue replying to trolls though. You're only 2-3 effort posts/kill urselfs away from convincing them to change their views.

firing off a 21-kill yourself salute at this tread

So some "industry expert" has ruffled feathers by suggesting that $1m is not enough super to retire comfortably. I was listening to ABC Melbournes talkback on the subject this morning, and apparently there is a very substantial portion of the population who believe you should be able to live off the interest your super generates without ever touching the capital. This loving country.

boomers imagine themselves to be Egyptian Pharaohs. they want a quarter acre pyramid built where they reside through both life and death, and to be buried with their wealth.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 20, 2015

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

This is what the government has reduced us to, a cryptoparty :cripes:
nsf001:smashthestate

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Auspol or Cryptoparty.... Auspol or Cryptoparty....

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Australian Comedian tier list:

A:
Shaun Micallef
Clarke and Dawe
-------
F:
Everything Else

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

QUACKTASTIC posted:

The age of entitlement is around 50+

My parents fought in the war!

Murodese posted:

Charlie Pickering's new show is not bad

put it on the box

Birdstrike posted:

Of course the ALP won't explain it well and after a Libs/Murdoch scare campaign will run away from super policy and negative gearing before election time.

DOUBLE TAXATION

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Negligent posted:

I hope you all choke to death on your own smug gittishness.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

So shouldn't the budget leaks have begun in earnest by now?

What budget? Ohh that thing, don't worry about it. It's going to be fine.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Speaking of NBN, this article seems to imply that people are connecting via FTTH. Is there any evidence that people have been connected via other technologies? Are they still rolling out what was already planned by Labor or have they been planning new regions?

I wonder if FTTN will perpetually be trialled, and never make it to deployment. The article states the customer is paying $100 per month for FTTH. I wonder if we will be charged less for FTTN data plans, because I already have a similar data limit and speed for around half the price. If it remains $100 a month, I'd rather stay on copper.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Laserface posted:

Anyone that was lucky enough to be completed on in prog FTTH regions gets FTTH
new developments are FTTH i believe.
Everywhere that has ADSL2+ on lovely copper gets upgraded to FTTN
Anyone currently in a HFC cable area gets dumped onto that. no upgrade at all for these areas.

That has been the plan, but I don't think I've ever heard or read anyone actually being put on FTTN or HFC under the NBN. Which is why I'm wondering if anyone here has read or heard about it actually happening. Maybe it is still too early from the election for any of it to shake out. If people are still being connected, I was hoping maybe they are pushing on while they 'test' and sort out the alternatives. But maybe that is a tad optimistic.

markgreyam posted:

What speed increases do you get from this?

If you live near the exchange with decent copper, realistically it will be the very similar. The minimum speed guarantee of FTTH is the same as the maximum achievable speed of ADSL2 (25/1). I think it can theoretically go up to 100mbits if you connect directly to the node, but the speed drastically drops the longer the cable between you and the node. It falls below ADSL2+ speeds after 500m, since the nodes will be placed every few blocks, most people will have a couple hundred metres of cable to the home. These estimates also presume your copper cable is in great condition, which is why the government doesn't want to guarantee anything better then ADSL2 lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

And when even the lowly burger flippers have to sign codes of conduct (better safe than sorry), I guess he'd be ok with it too. I suppose there's only so much intellectual rigour we can expect for 389,000 a year. It wouldn't be so bad if he were even slightly consistent with his views.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 28, 2015

• Locked thread