Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Goddamn it seems like you're just falling apart at this salvage rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, at this point salvage is barely enough to repair and replace a weapon here or there. Luckily there are always a few missions of "here is a base to destroy" that bumps the salvage rate up.

3 bases. Maybe 4 on the map. Dash takes Sanchez and Smith.

Smith, you go over there and defend that base... Sanchez, you stay here and guard this base.

Yeah, that base on the left is boned. Nothing to be done about it.

Smith is slowly moving to the base on the right. Sanchez and Dash engage the first target.

Smith (green dot) better hurry the poo poo up.

More enemies appear, Dash cannot leave Sanchez alone to save the left-most base.

Another enemy appears for Smith. Two enemies are now within sight for Dash and Sanchez.

Enemies on both sides, two on the north, one on the south of the main base where Dash and Sanchez are defending.

Dash and Sanchez have simultaneous success.

Dash heads north to help Sanchez with the second cybrid. Smith engages at the right-most base. The left base is destroyed.

Dash can see parts and metal flying from a distance. This doesn't bode well for Sanchez.

Smith finishes his enemy. Dash is turbo-ing as fast as possible to help Sanchez. Parts and metal fly through the air.

No wonder Sanchez was having problems. Dash is in awe that Sanchez actually lived this long against a Pitbull.

Dash helps.

Dash tells Smith to stay put and defend that base. Sanchez is hurt. Big time. His shield generator has been destroyed.

Sure, these two bases are safe... but there is still some rear end in a top hat that destroyed the other base.

Dash leaves to avenge the base.

...And the enemy goes down.

NOW the mission is complete.

128 Tons of salvage. I bet Sanchez has more damage than that.

Sanchez' new Ogre is ready! Dash takes his time pimping his ride.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you get any salvage from your own bases blowing up? I don't think you would, but I had to ask.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
No, no salvage from our own bases getting hit. I wish. :(

Another all-out-attack on our bases. GO GO GO GO GO

But this time we get all of our squad. Sanchez and Conner will stick together. Smith will go on his own, and Dash will do whatever needs doing like he always does.

Well there's no way to catch that guy way up north. Sanchez and Conner will go to the northernmost base and defend it. Smith will attack the dude to the right. Dash will charge and head off the one that is going to be in the way of Sanchez and Conner.

Smith takes his down quickly, before Dash can even move to be honest.

That is Sanchez on the left, he's going to meet up with Conner. See the two enemies dead ahead? That's who Dash is going after.

Smith tries to catch Dash, but Dash is cranking the Turbo to get there before they slow Sanchez and Conner down.

Hey, Dickface. Look at me. Stop distracting Sanchez.

Hard to run with one leg isn't it (guy on left).

Number two down, no shields left.

Devastating leg shot. Guess who got his Turbo Kit blown up? You guessed it: Dash did!

Go get 'em Sanchez (yellow) and Conner (purple)

And Smith, you get your rear end back to the base.

Sanchez and Conner engage and destroy the enemies out of sight.

And then they run smack into another few enemies. Dash is useless without his Turbo.

They kill all their poo poo and wait for new orders.

Dash tells them to guard the northwest base, and then the mission ends abruptly.

Well, at least no one took too much damage. Building another Turbo Pod takes 50 tons though.

Dash replaces the Turbo kit and heads to the briefing room.

Do a little scouting? No problem.

Oh. poo poo. Do it with the Razor.

Does it look like Dash owns a Razor? Guess Dash is going to scout in an Ogre... This should go well.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Hold onto your butts. This is going to get hairy.

Run run run run oh hey whats that to the left?

It's not the landing or supply depot Dash is looking for so PEW PEW PEW

Dash walks for another minute.

Something pops up on the radar...

Whoops. The one on the right saw me and is charging.

Oh god, he brought a friend. Oddly, the cybrid Dash initially saw continues running east for no reason.

And that'll do it.

Dash isn't even halfway done. Lets assess the damage.

:negative: loving Turbo Pod. gently caress.

Dash's top speed is only 74kph now, versus the 110kph that he had before the Turbo Pod got shot to hell.

More non-essentials. PEW PEW PEW

Dash walks for another minute and change. Hits waypoint 2.

Finally he notices something in the distance.

An enemy and what appears shuttles of some kind.

Aha! Dash found the supply transports!

Healthy enemy.

Not healthy enemy. Also: Dash lost two weapons.. his laser and turbo pod...

...which makes outrunning these enemies impossible. Great.

Only one peels off to engage Dash.

The second cybrid is in the middle of the base in the background.

Dash does the waypoint running. Losing weapons, taking damage... it's not fun unless it's happening to Sanchez.

Don't care about these structures.

So Dash blows them up and proceeds to waypoint 5.

And that will do. A successful mission despite losing 3 weapons and taking some pretty decent damage. Not to worry: Dash blew up like 9 buildings and 4 cybrids so the salvage will be pretty impressive!

Or maybe the game will decide to gently caress me right now.

10 Tons to repair Dash. Not to mention the 50 Tons for turbo, 25 for the laser, and 50 more for the Energy Pod.

Phase 1: Look for enemies.
Phase 2: Go kill walking enemies
Phase 4: ???
Phase 5: Buy Earthsiege 3.

DO NOT ATTACK ENEMY LANDING CRAFT FOR FUCKS SAKE. DO YOU HEAR ME, SMITH? YOU LITTLE TRIGGER HAPPY poo poo.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 21, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dash leads Smith along the waypoint routes.

Almost immediately there are enemies spotted near the transports.

Okay now listen Smith. YOU CAN KILL THE WALKING DUDES. JUST THE WALKING DUDES.

Dash accidentally slowed down, allowing Smith to lead the way.

That was a bad idea. Smith steals two kills, then stops in Dash's line of fire.

Smith gets the third kill. Dash gets 0 kills.

Okay lets go walk some more waypoints.

Turns out Smith almost died.

Hey Smith, where you goin?

Get back here, dicknuts.

So did Dash.

Looks like 3 more enemies left the landing craft.

Smith can barely move, he's so slow with all that damage.

Luckily Dash is good.

Smith is so slow. He's the dot lagging behind near Waypoint 2.

Judging by the radar, Dash will do the rest of this mission alone.

Three more enemies appear in the distance.

Dash prepares to PEW PEW

PEW PEW ENABLED

One falling to the right.

This one falling in a few seconds.

Ah, there he goes.

Last one.

That'll do.

And it looks like the mission is over.

And that's that.

Holy poo poo, the fate of the entire world is in Dash's hands. Thankfully he's capable as gently caress.

Disable, DO NOT DESTROY, the landing pods.

That's a hefty shopping list for the HERCs. How about Dash just takes his normal loving HERC?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ouch, that's got to hurt. Not even enough scratch to get a new turbo.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Looks straightforward, right?

Two enemies in between Dash and the waypoint.

Dash deals with them. He fires blindly through the flames, destroying the second enemy. Checkmate.

Up over a hill and... LANDING PODS!

Also an arachnid cybrid that would have hit Dash from behind, crippling him. Dash takes it out.

Then Dash moves to the landing pods. This mission was the bane of my childhood. People reading should prepare for assloads of stupidity, inept skill, and general head-in-hands disbelief.

Dash targets the first missile array. He also gets shot a lot.

And of course these two were hiding somewhere that didn't appear on radar. Dash engages these two, gets shot from behind and the side by 3 missile arrays. Things go sideways really quickly. For those of you counting at home, that's 3 weapons destroyed.

Oh good another enemy. The landing pods continue to shoot the poo poo out of Dash.

That's one landing pod done... Dash has 4 weapons left.

Dash has to aim off-center because he only has certain weapons left. Incredible. The second image is a direct hit with the right-side laser.

That was a missile to the unprotected HERC. Ouch.

One more... and then 3 more on the other pod.

See the laser on the right still shooting? That's how Dash has to aim to get it to hit the missile bank and not destroy the pod.

Dash moves away to take a breather and get his shields back. Then moves to finish the 2nd landing pod off.

PEW PEW

Oh man that was only 2/3 of #2. poo poo. Back at it.

And getting shot from both sides now. This mission is a delight.

WOOOOO, Number 2 is down!

One more pod, 3 more missile banks, and Dash is down to 2 functioning weapons.

The enemy lands a missile as Dash lands a laser. The pod is winning.

1/3 down.

Working on 2/3

2/3 down.

Finally starting to finish #3.

Wahooooo

Dash limps back to base. Hurt beyond anything he's taken so far.

34 tons you stupid loving computer game

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dash suits up and steps into the lander. THEN HE loving ROCKETS TO THE MOON TO PUNCH PROMETHEUS IN THE ROBOT FACE!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Maybe they just sent you guys to the Moon to get rid of your retarded AI squadmates. You're just the necessary sacrifice so the idiots don't catch on, because they know they're not allowed to go anywhere without their minder.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Step 1: Take the enemy base for ourselves.
Step 2: Find Prometheus. poo poo. I bet this means Dash needs a Razor. Welp, too bad.
Step 3: PUNCH PROMETHEUS IN HIS STUPID ROBOT FACE

Dash starts off and immediately notices 2 gun turrets. Thanks for being useless, radar.

Dash will do most of the killing here. It's doubtful that Smith can actually restrain himself from blowing up the listening post and most of the base.

Blowing up turret hashtag1.

Turret hashbrown2 is down. Dash notices his shields getting shot to hell and finally looks at the Radar. Smith is sitting there not firing at anything because Dash has not given him the OK to do it. God damnit.

Dash takes 2 EMP shots to the face as he spins.

One down, the second went after Smith. Lucky for Dash...

Walk walk walk. Radar tower, nothing we need. Blow it up.

Two more gun turrets. Blow them up too.

This entrance to the enemy base is a maze of gun turrets.

It's too drat early for Dash to be reading his Radar properly. Is Lunar-lag a thing? Like Jetlag, except a quarter-million more miles? Dash does not see these enemies until they are shooting at him.

It doesn't help the enemy at all, it's business as usual for Dash. Smith is still holding tight and not firing any weapons.

Dash looses the hound of war. Dash unleashes the dogs of war. Dash tells Smith to PEW PEW.

Dash gets the kill before Smith can even shoot a weapon.

Walk walk walk gun turret PEW PEW explody

More walky

And more turrets.

A shot of Smith all proud after his first kill. A gun tower that Dash was too lazy to climb.

Not even close to done. Wonderful.

Getting more populated. I think we're going in the right direction!

If you can't figure out what Dash did by now then I don't know what to tell you.

There's a base. And an enemy! Dash actually noticed an enemy on the radar!

Dash prevents himself from being shot in the back as he goes after the enemy.

Target sighted.

It ran toward Dash and fell over. Amazing how a lucky shot to the dickplate will take one of these things down.

Oooh, there's the listening post!

Upload the virus!

SMITH I NEVER TOLD YOU TO ATTACK YOU SACK OF poo poo. STOP DESTROYING OUR NEW BASE.

Dash leaves, telling Smith to disengage and follow.

Dash is slightly annoyed. There is 0 resistance on this side of the base. One gun turret, 0 enemies... If they had landed the pods on this side of the base even Sanchez could have done this mission without a problem.

There should be a lot more salvage than this. The game might be preventing Dash from building more poo poo.

Dash patches up his craft and waits for the next mission.

God damnit.

That's a LOT of loving walking.

Dash still doesn't have a Razor. "Shake pursuit before returning to base" ?? That's basically the same as "destroy everything you come across" right? I hope so, because that's Dash's plan.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Think Sierra can troubleshoot this?

Rebooting and trying again!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright, so I tried it 6 times. Every time takes like 4 minutes to get to the point where it breaks. Turns out I'm not supposed to destroy all of the bases I come across, despite there being 0 resistance. Then I went onward and found another base... so I tried to destroy that and got the error too.

So Dash will be a good little boy and do strictly recon this time. :argh:

2000 meters. Get ready to walk and hate this mission.

30 seconds and a crappy unit shows up on the map. Dash engages and blows him to poo poo.

See?

More walking.

Lots more walking

I'll just go ahead and skip 15 screenshots.

The ship (left) is getting daring!

Something in the distance (finally!)

Dash targets everything and doesn't blow it all to poo poo. All that salvage... He finds a mining facility!

Okay, Dash blows up a little bit.

It's dark on the moon.

Nothing on this ridge. Totally empty.

Or not!

One down.

2 appears.

2 drops (his foot is missing).

And 3 decides to run away.

Dash finally gets him and then starts walking...

More walking

I skipped 10 more screenshots. This is boring.

Looks like another base in the distance.

A refinery for their mining that will happen.

Closeup.

And then Dash leaves all that salvage behind.

Another base on the left and ahead sort of.

It's a decent sized base. Dash scouts it.

And then he leaves.

Yet another base is way ahead.

Dash blows up a few things for funsies.

Taking out a missile tower. Whats that antennae thing in the background? Dash has never seen one of those before.

Control tower? Sounds important.

Dash walks. Another base appears.

Base.

More walking holy poo poo I am sick of this.

Dash finally makes it to the landing pods.

Oh god those aren't our landing pods, they're shooting the poo poo out of Dash.

Bye bye shields.

Dash runs away. Brave Sir Robin.

Dash took some damage from those transports.

Almost done.

Finally!

28 Tons of salvage. That'll repair Dash anyway.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
It's interesting that they added fliers to ES2 and then as far as I can tell largely forgot about them. The player only ever gets one type, they never seem to be of any particularly great use(I don't know, can you make your NPC goons pilot a flying craft and maybe not crash their stupid heads into everything?), and the Cybrids only ever seem to send out the same dull drones that largely don't do much beyond annoy Dash by being hard to hit(unless you've been understating their threat).

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
No, you're the only one who can pilot a Razor. As I posted earlier, it's basically good for recon and strafing runs with plasma cannons, but gently caress sustained combat in one. And the enemy fliers are so completely useless for dealing damage to anything that it took me a couple of missions to realize that I should be treating them as hostile, nevermind attempt to shoot them. They're pretty much a complete waste of everyone's time.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
One type is all. They can probably be useful if I loaded it with Plasma Cannons and Missiles, but once the missiles run out... well, it's just not interesting to me. The squad cannot pilot anything because Dash is the only one "certified" to fly it. Yes, Dash was certified in that first mission where he went ramming speed on the enemy.

A few missions ago I finally saw an enemy drone shoot at me. Bullets landed directly in front of me and were clearly fired from the sky. I've never even had my shields take a hit from these things, and they don't count as actual enemies as far as "mission successful" goes while not being still in danger.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 22, 2015

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
I got hosed by the same bad habits when I played- the game doesn't really mind you going overboard with blowing everything up in earlier missions. I passed the "recon" mission, only to immediately fail the subsequent mission because all of my base had been destroyed prior.

I'd really like to know more about its development, given that it was part of Sierra On-line/Dynamix. I can't see any credible link to verify what Wikipedia says about FASA (Interactive or Studio) being involved.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This feels kind of like final boss territory, but surely they'd be giving you more stuff to let you get equipped for it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PurpleXVI posted:

It's interesting that they added fliers to ES2 and then as far as I can tell largely forgot about them. The player only ever gets one type, they never seem to be of any particularly great use(I don't know, can you make your NPC goons pilot a flying craft and maybe not crash their stupid heads into everything?), and the Cybrids only ever seem to send out the same dull drones that largely don't do much beyond annoy Dash by being hard to hit(unless you've been understating their threat).

The Razor is really good if you use the slight tracking on the Plasma Cannons and have a joystick, like I did when I was playing this game.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Get in, upload the megavirus, get out. Recommended: 2 HERCs. What we're taking: 3 HERCs.

Sanchez is going to gently caress this up, just you watch.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Alright, Dash has a long way to go.

Walky walky, the usual.

He hits waypoint 1, and notices enemies in the distance. Dash tells his squad to open fire.

More than one. Should be fun!

Looks to be 3. Can Dash take them all out without losing his shields for once? Lets find out!

Opening salvo.

One on the left down, working on #2.

And that's all 3 down.

Shields full. Woooooo

Alright, lets get to the listening post!

Dash notices a radar tower and needs the salvage.

And the same for a gun tower.

In the middle of the base Dash notices two enemies. He sends Smith and Sanchez forward.

On the way there, Dash is nearly blindsided by new enemies.

Smith and Sanchez move into the base to deal with the two there, Dash turbos his HERC toward the cybrids trying to flank them.

The first one falls in a heartbeat, the second one isn't far behind in falling over.

Dash looks over the base, spots the control and listening towers right off the bat. More enemies appear on the other flank. Dash moves to intercept.

That is Smith running toward the cybrids in the base that Dash initially told him to attack. It's just easier if Dash takes care of the stragglers and doesn't have to go back to the navmap to tell him differently.

They finally begin shooting Dash.

Dash PEW PEWs them better than they PEW PEW him.

HEY, YOU STUPID FUCKS. DASH SPECIFICALLY TOLD YOU TO ONLY ATTACK THE CYBRIDS. LEAVE THE loving BASE ALONE BEFORE YOU DESTROY THE CONTROL TOWER. :argh:

Luckily the building that blew up wasn't the control tower. Dash tells them to disengage.

... That looks like a building blowing up. STOP IT ASSHOLES.

They finally take out the enemy cybrids.

Dash heads to the listening post to upload the virus.

You loving guys. Stop attacking for fucks sake!

Smith! This is the fifth time I've told you to disengage, so stop loving shooting poo poo!

gently caress it, Dash just needs to finish the mission before Smith destroys the control tower.

Virus uploading.

The virus finishes, so does the mission. Excellent salvage.

Smith is the only damage in the entire squad. Yes, you read that right. Dash took 0 damage.

The virus was a huge success. The words "Shoot up everything" make Dash half-mast.

"Destroy as much hardware..." "...turkey shoot..." Dash has to stop reading the briefing, he can only get so erect.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dash, with Smith and Sanchez in tow, move towards waypoint 1.

Up and over.

On the other side of the hill are 3 immobile cybrids. Dash goes to town on them. The virus is doing well!

Up and out of the crater.

And facefirst into a base. Dash tells Sanchez and Smith to go trigger happy on the base and Dash himself heads to the enemy.

The enemy falls quickly. Apparently not all the cybrids are down and out.

Smith charges forward, guns blazing.

Dash watches like a proud parent.

All done? Lets go.

Not even out of the crater and arachnid cybrids attack, trying to disable Dash.

They don't really do much.

Smith took some damage from... I don't really know what. A missile tower maybe?

Waypoint 2 is reached, onward to waypoint 3.

Two more immobile cybrids fall to Dash's weapons.

Smith, what the hell are you doing back there? There is nothing to attack. Disengage, you rear end in a top hat.

No you aren't. Idiot.

Sanchez and Dash find another base. Dash sits back because last time he destroyed more than 40 buildings the game crashed. Three drat times.

Sanchez has fun exploding things, Smith lags behind not listening to Dash.

An enemy appears over the lip of the crater. Dash turbos to help Sanchez who is too busy to fire back because there is a giant pile of poo poo to blow up.

Dash alerts Sanchez to the enemy.

And then Dash helps.

And takes out a missile tower.

See Smith on the radar? Idiot.

Sanchez is having a grand old time.

HEY SMITH, NICE OF YOU TO JOIN US YOU STUPID gently caress.

Okay, all done? We're on to waypoint 3.

Cybrid enemies? Dash will take care of this.

Climbing hills without Turbo is a chore. Thankfully Dash hasn't had his turbo blown up... yet.

Virus-stricken cybrids fall quickly. They don't even have shields up.

Smith and Sanchez are attacking a base over where they are on the radar. There is another base right here. Dash decides to tell Sanchez to come destroy this one, leaving Smith to destroy that one.

Before Sanchez can move, Cybrids appear on the radar.

That is Smith on the right racing to engage. Dash cranks Turbo as much as he can, but is too far behind to help much.

Smith is getting peppered with bullets and lasers.

One down, Smith goes straight, forcing Dash to take out the straggler.

Dash does.

You see Smith on fire? That was a Pitbull he went up against, likely with no shields. He took a lot of damage and his shields are down. So now Smith is as vulnerable as a newborn.

Dash moves to an overwatch position; Smith and Sanchez take out buildings.

Sanchez finally remembers (after 2 more reminders) that there is another base over here for him to blow up.

Sanchez forgets and turns around to the first base. Dash can't do it himself, the game will crash again.

Dash decides to visit waypoints.

Sanchez finally joins Dash and begins base-destruction.

Smith is still in attack mode to the right, yet there is nothing on the radar.

Dash decides to look at the navmap and notices Smith in "flee" mode. He's never seen that before, it must be serious!

Dash races to help!

Just over this hill Dash should be able to see the enemies that are chasing Smith.

Nothing. He must have been getting his rear end kicked by a fricken gun tower or something.

Smith finishes the base, Dash shakes his head in disbelief and heads to the waypoint. gently caress this.

30 seconds later Smith has to FLEE again. There was nothing there. No more gun towers, no more missile towers... nothing. There is 100% nothing there that can be hurting Smith, yet he is still scared and running for his life.

The bases are all destroyed. Dash moves to the final waypoint.

188 tons? Dash expected something in the ballpark of 700 tons. God damnit.

That pitbull really tore Smith a new one. Dash patches him up and heads to the briefing room.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Now Dash is stricken with a terrible dilemma.

There is supposedly no way to protect everything. Dash doesn't believe it, Dash is awesome and invincible. To be honest Dash really doesn't care about his idiot squadmates. All he needs to do is save one lander for himself. gently caress everyone else.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Dash makes his choice.

You three jagoffs, stay here and guard the base.

Dash is almost to Waypoint 1 before the first enemy is seen. He tells Smith to attack southward.

Ah, a 2 pronged attack. Sanchez and Conner move east to attack the enemies.

Dash can almost see the landing pods from here. Dash is tempted to take one of them and just leave his squad behind.

The squad stays to defend the base like the chumps they are.

The enemies close on the base, the 3 idiots attack.

Something appears on Dash's radar. The cybrids are running toward the landing pods. Dash can't let that happen.

The two enemies turn toward Dash.

Dash eats a salvo of 8 missiles in the first second of combat. Ugh.

The energy pod is destroyed, leaving Dash pretty boned as far as firepower goes.

But Dash comes out on top. Hurting, limping, but on top.

Dash is hurt. His Navmap barely works anymore.

The squad had finished the enemy and instead of returning to DEFEND positions they decided to catch up with Dash. Dash tells them to stay put, he'll protect the landing pods or die trying.

The squad turns to engage the new enemies in the distance.

Dash arrives, the landing pods are intact. Phew. He won't be stuck on this stupid loving rock for the rest of his miserable life.

Sanchez gets 3 kills quicker than Dash thought possible.

That settles it. Dash is amazing, and Greiling and the lovely analysts can go gently caress themselves.

:what:
Dash protected BOTH, despite telling him it couldn't be done. gently caress you, Greiling. gently caress you right in your dumb face.

Dash repairs his HERC, and notices that the rest of the squad did not take a scratch. Their HERCs were pristine... Unsure how that happened because when Dash leads the way they always get shot to hell. Dash starts thinking that he might be part of the problem....

Still need to pinpoint the main computer; Prometheus. Once it's pinpointed, Dash knows exactly what is in store for it: Explody time.

Dash is up to it. Let's roll, Smith.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Lets get this poo poo over with so Dash can go home to Earth and bask in the blowjobs he's sure to receive for being savior to humankind.

Got the route? Perfect.

Enemies finally spotted. Engage.

Dash saw an enemy and the leg popped off.

The second one drops like it's hot.

Dash skipped a waypoint, so he's doing this manually from now on. It's annoying.

Apparently Dash needs to shoot his way through those gun towers.

So he does.

Enemies spotted!

Smith is told to engage the first target.

But Smith doesn't move up although Dash's speed is decreased a lot.

Smith never passes the window, yet Smith is now ahead of Dash. Great.

Dash helps Smith with the first one.

And turns to the second.

Smith took a bit of damage for his antics.

More enemies approach. Engage.

Stupid little spider things.

Dash tells Smith to destroy the gun towers.

He does, then enemies are sighted.

Dash shoots Smith accidentally. Smith is charging the enemy and not worried about being shot by the gun tower.

Dash sees two. And are those more behind them in the distance?

All done.

Enemies just appeared out of that building there. Seems to Dash that the building should be blown up.

It looks like an airplane hangar. Cybrid Hangar.

Dash takes down his target, Smith does the same on the far side.

Dash blows up the hangar.

This guy shows up from the ruins of the hangar.

He falls over shortly.

The listening post... time to hack in.

Initiate command override.

Transfer data...

:woop:

Not a bad days work.

Smith gets hammered every time Dash is around, but not a scratch if left to his own devices. Really odd.

Next mission. Razor is suggested.

:negative: 66% complete. Looks like Dash is walking again.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Walk walk walk. This mission is so boring I'm tempted to just skip over it.

Two gun towers.

One gun tower and an enemy to the side.

Enemies and a radar tower appear.

It looks like he's jumping!

See those two towers in the distance?

Blow them up!

Another tower shows up in the distance

And then gets blown up.

And now the boring part. There is a line of towers spaced decently apart that Dash needs to run up and down to destroy.

It's more than the radar shows.

Dash starts down one side.

Last one!

Then turn around and do the other side...

And that line of towers is done!

A couple more stragglers hold the ridgeline.

Dash takes them out.

Over the ridge are a couple enemies, a few towers, and a couple big refineries in the distance.

Enemies first.

Start blowin stuff up, Dash!

3 refineries apparently.

A factory. Wonder what it made? Probably ice cream.

Last refinery.

Almost got it all.

Supply depot is destroyed, so that will most likely give me some decent salvage.

Two more guntowers and voila.

Dick for salvage. Nice.

The Razor is ready... far too late, but it's ready.

Grieling comes over the speaker. Punch through heavy resistance.

The whole squad gets to come! Dash could take the Razor, but these are heavy cybrid enemies, so Dash will take his trusty Ogre.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'd be curious to see just how badly the squadmate AI would bug out if you were airborne while they were on the ground, because something tells me they'd gently caress up even more than usual. Though you could probably draw a lot of Cybrid attention and buzz off while your buddies butchered them.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I will save, then attempt it just for you.

If it goes well I will continue the game. Not so well and I load the save but still write up the failed attempt.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Metaltech (which this is the third of) games really weren't a cash-in, they were mostly FASA hedging their bets in case their Battletech legal woes got any worse. FASA pulled out after this game but their publisher kept making more games, eventually spawning the Tribes series.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
In this update Dash Rendar, Pilot Extraordinaire, uses a Razor to devastating effect! It is stupidly hard to get screenshots when flying the Razor.

Suit up, Dash!

Dash is immediately set upon by enemy fliers. Dash quickly realizes he is just hopeless with killing anything flying. Also he needs to conserve missiles.

Dash leaves his crew behind and spots the enemy. ATTACK!

4 of them.

One down.

Oh. Dash should probably learn to dodge.

Strafing run #2 begins.

Strafing run #2 is a huge success! If the enemy had shields the Razor would once again be entirely useless. About 3/4 of the enemy have no shields, and these are the ones that Dash picks apart with a few well placed missiles and plasma cannons.

Dash attempts to destroy the landing pod.

Dash leaves it to the squad and hits waypoints. He quickly finds more enemies victims.

Apparently the reason the earlier strafing run was a huge success is because Dash headbutted an enemy to death. Ah well, still counts!

Missiles away!

Even more enemies appear while Dash is attempting to turn for another strafing run.

There is an enemy below Dash. Dash drops a few missiles and goes to turn around.

Smith and crew have finally reached the enemy. Dash provides covering fire above Smith in this excellently timed picture.

The first group of enemies fell to Dash and crew's weapons. Dash engages the second group he spotted earlier.

Dash narrowly misses Headbutt#2 which surely would have destroyed the Razor.

Dash helps with this group a little less. Conner shown in the image blows up the last cybrid that faces them.

Hit a few waypoints, destroy a landing pod that just appeared on radar.

One more waypoint to go!

That's 7 enemy on the radar screen. A group of 4 or 5, plus 2 stragglers.

Dash begins dropping missiles.

That's one less enemy.

The squad moves to help.

Dash moves for strafing run number 3 of this specific group.

Dash has plenty of missiles, but the crew will reach the enemies before he can turn around.

Maybe not...

Two more fall to Dash's missiles.

The squad cleans up, Dash heads home.

That went so stupidly perfect I can't believe I never used a Razor much before. However: None of the enemy had shields. Dash would have killed maybe 4 or 5 and then run out of missiles if everyone had full shields. That virus knocked down a bunch of shields apparently which was the saving grace here.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Chalk one up for my tactical genius in suggesting this.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And apparently you get to see Dash fly the Razor a second time....

"There is a shitload of enemies here. We're going to give you 48 missiles and one plasma cannon. Good luck, rear end in a top hat."

Thanks a lot, Grieling. :argh:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dash has to admit that flying at 250kph beats the hell out of walking at 50.

3 gun turrets appear.

3 gun turrets blow up.

Dash reaches the waypoint and turns to engage the groundbound targets.

Two plasma cannon blasts are all it takes.

Dash turns his attention to the radar tower.

It blows up. Another enemy is spotted in the distance.

This Razor is pretty fun when no one has shields.

More enemies appear. These are the crawling arachnid types.

It takes 3 strafing runs to destroy them. They're quick!

Dash now has a line of enemies strung out. He shoots at all of them, turns around and shoots at them all again.

Missiles away!

Now the enemy has grouped together for protection or something. Dash drops missiles like it's his job (it is).

Dash gets a little too close to the arachnid suicide drone.

Phew, last strafing run. That too entirely too long.

Alright, so number 2 is done, onward to number 3!

Can you imagine walking this? Dash is thankful for the speed of the Razor.

Enemy spotted!

Two to be exact...

Dash gets both of them in one attempt. That's some kind of record.

Lookin good, Dash!

The final waypoint has a lovely base. Dash goes to town on it.

First he destroys the cybrid.

Okay, the cybrid takes 2 passes. He did manage to destroy 2 gun towers though.

Got it!

Missile tower is targeted.

Dash narrowly avoids colliding with the tower. You can see Dash's missiles launching point blank into the enemy missile array thing.

Dash goes back for the enemy base. There are no other enemies, and it takes dash 9 or 10 more attack runs to destroy it all. It's just embarrassing, so Dash stopped recording.

You all hear that? Final assault! Dash throws the stupid Razor in the trash and gears up in his big boy suit.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Dear Diary,

It's been 28 days since I was drafted to fight the evil cybrids. One of my fondest memories was doing missions solo way back in Alpha sector with my Outlaw. It took a few missions before I trusted Smith enough to bring him with me on nearly every mission. Boy we had some good times. The first thing I did was scrap that useless Razor and build Smith and I some bigger HERCs. Collossus for me, Samson for him. The tech nerds came through time and again with bigger lasers, bigger miniguns, and eventually some badass shield and energy generators. The turbo pod needs more work, but after today no one will care anymore. The turbo pod should be smaller, maybe more EMP and missile proof. Or maybe put it on the HERC-butt, no one ever shoots there. Instead the nerds say the only place it could be mounted is dead loving center where everyone shoots me. Put it on my back for fucks sake.

Regardless... The nerds did come through with those Particle Beams and Plasma Cannons. Holy poo poo those things are fun. I shot Conner right in her dumb face so many loving times. She just walked in front of my guns. That's why I didn't take her on many missions. Sanchez... That boy was a loose cannon. He's a rookie, but I'd be willing to bet he got more kills than Smith. The Navajo bastard constantly ran headlong into as many enemies as possible. He reminds me of me. I'd say I'll miss him, but I won't. The loving peyote he uses to help him sleep makes him do all sorts of weird poo poo in the barracks.

If I don't make it back: Big shout out to the metalheads; those scrapyard junkies who would patch up my HERC after every mission. It seemed like it was nearly instant when I got back from a mission until it was fixed. I'd grab some chow and then maybe nap for 8 minutes and they'd have my HERC ready to roll again. Those boys are the real heroes here. Well no, that's not true. I am a hero. I am the hero the world needed. To be honest I am glad all this poo poo went down. I really just like blowing poo poo up. Driving a HERC and shooting a thousand 100mm rounds at random things? That was not even on my 'bucket list' before the war. Now? Christ I just love blowing poo poo up and shooting guns. I hope there will be a few more chances to drive one of these things and blow things up. Hell, I am kind of excited for the inevitable war at home while nations try to rebuild. A guy like me could make a pretty lucrative career with my skills in that type of world.

One final note before I leave to give my squad a rousing speech to lift their spirits: gently caress you, Greiling. You've been wrong more times than I can count, you've almost got me killed which is a huge problem. The same goes for Smith but the anger at his death is a lesser anger. I've done things that you and the analysts said was impossible. I've gone out in an underpowered HERC and destroyed more enemies than you've even seen in real life. I've taken a squad of misfits and shaped them into a tight knit fighting unit full of asskickings and bullets. Okay, that last part was a lie. The squad sucks. But so do you, Greiling. Eat a dick.

Anyway, peace out, Diary. If I survive this mission I'll be drowning in pussy. Lets hope I survive; I do enjoy pussy.

: Hey Smith, remember that time in Delta when you got your leg blown clean off? That was great. If I hadn't hauled your sorry rear end back here you'd be cybrid scrap by now. Good times.
: Yeah yeah yeah. You talk about it in your sleep for fucks sake.

: Sanchez, remember in Gamma when you almost died halfway through the mission? I finished the entire mission myself so we could send out a crew to pick you up.
: Yes. Your honor is mine. Want a drink?
: Get that coyote piss out of my face. Where the hell did you even get that? We're on the loving moon!

: Conner do you remember those times I didn't blow you the gently caress up for driving that thing like an rear end in a top hat?
: That's not really something you should be prou--
: Shut up, retard. The point is this: You all owe me. You all owe me your lives. During this final mission I'll expect all of you to lay down your lives for me without a moments hesitation.

: That's just a terrible idea. How about you don't lead us into an ambush like you did back in Charlie?
: How about I don't shoot you in the face right loving now? Suit up lady, gentleman, and you Navajo gently caress. Everyone excited? It's time to save the world.
: Tuck your destruction boner into your belt, Dash.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If you get the chance, you should show us the mission loss animation. If I remember right, it's a pretty horrifying one, used to give me nightmares as a kid, unless I'm mixing it up with Earthsiege 1's.

The one where the cybrids drill into your brain

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Greiling, when this is done I'm going to kill you and then gently caress your wife. I hate you so much.

Sanchez, I got you a few new toys. Big miniguns, a plasma cannon, and a particle beam. Don't let me down out there.

Smith, I didn't do anything special for you. It's the same HERC you've been driving for thirty missions.

Conner, we don't have the resources for another Ogre. But at least I gave you the biggest guns we own instead of the little things. Don't even think about shooting me.

Ah, you magnificent beast. It's time for one more rodeo.

Remember what I said! Everyone should lay down their lives for me if needed!
*Navajo curses*

Keep your eyes peeled, nothing yet but chances are they'll come out of nowhere.

That looks important, sir.
Never seen a plateau like that. Lets go blow it up.
Sir, your justice boner...
My arms are stuck in this loving HERC, what do you expect me to do about it?

Enemy spotted on top of the plateau, sir.

They are on the other plateau to the west also.

How the hell are we going to get up there? OPEN FIRE!

PEW PEW PEW

I count three. Preparing to engage.
Take Conner with you, if she hangs out with me she'll just get shot in the back and I'll waste all my ammo.
Thank god.

Sanchez, get on my six!
Ugh. Fine.

Did you just orgasm, sir? You know the microphones are always transmitting, right?

Why don't you ask Smith if he just came?
I'm a professional, sir. I don't have those problems.

I'm going around, you're too slow Dash.

There are three of you standing here and I have to do all the work? Start firing, assholes.

Arachnid!

Oh god I missed

It loving destroyed the Turbo Pod. Of course.
Those loving nerds are going to hear about this! My legs are trashed!

More enemies appear. Dash engages, the squad scatters in all directions chasing their own targets.

Boom. Headshot.

Dash turns the corner and is face to face with another enemy.

This is a lot easier when I'm not being shot in the back!

Sanchez! What the hell are you doing? Get over here!
Got you covered, boss.
Stop pointing those things at me! Get in front where I can keep an eye on you!

On second thought I think I'll go help Smith instead.

Is anyone planning on helping me? I've found the entire base and it's not defended at all!

Smith, Conner! Don't worry, Dash is on the way to save you!
Our hero...
Was that sarcastic? I think that was sarcastic!

Let's go, Smith! It looks like it's just you and me!

Watch out for the gun towers! I remember just a few missions ago you were being chased away because they were killing you!

Dash clears the way

Smith runs right by the towers, Dash has to go back and clear that side too. Conner and Sanchez arrive soon after.

DESTROY IT ALL! :gizz:

I can't hear you over the sound of destruction angels singing from the heavens.

More blowing poo poo up.

We're on top of a plateau. I wonder how we can even get down from this side to kill the enemy...

Only a few more things to blow up. with 4 enemies closing from all sides.

Hey, how did you get down there Smith?!

Dash jumps from the ledge to steal possibly the last kill of the game. He lands, breaking his legs even further. He can barely move now.
These loving things need a parachute! Remind me to tell the nerds that!

That's bad mmkay?

It's a good thing Dash went airborne on this side. He never would have seen this part of the base otherwise.

Dash finishes the base and heads up the side of the cliff to help with the enemies that have lost all computers and are 100% immobile.

Instead, the last base piece was destroyed, the mission is over.
WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:siren::siren::siren: Ending GIF: http://i.imgur.com/1QHCSZs.gif :siren::siren::siren:

It's not embedding for some reason so you have to click on it.

Dash's final kill count before this last mission

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 28, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

If you get the chance, you should show us the mission loss animation. If I remember right, it's a pretty horrifying one, used to give me nightmares as a kid, unless I'm mixing it up with Earthsiege 1's.

The one where the cybrids drill into your brain

It's not nearly as cool. Here are the 2 different death scenarios.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Ending gif wasn't loading when embedded into the post, so had to link the drat thing. It's a 12MB gif, so heads up.

http://i.imgur.com/GYaiLJz.gif
http://i.imgur.com/GYaiLJz.gifv

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, congratulations. How much fire did your team take for you, last mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

And so, the Earth was saved by DASH RENDAR, space hero.

Any chance you'll take a crack at Starsiege after this?

• Locked thread