Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I heart Baby Steps. It's kind of the anti-sports-manga in a lot of ways character-wise. It kinda manages to twist or sidestep all the normal character beats. The only real common thing is people being inexplicably excited about high school tennis but that's kind of a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gils posted:

I've been reading the manga and appreciating your comments about real life tennis. Kind of interesting the extent to which it follows real strategy and stuff, instead of pure gimmicks and bullshit.

I feel like the series does a pretty good job about Maruo not being unstoppable? Not to be that guy dancing around spoilers. But I think it's pretty rare for a sports show to have the protagonist outright fail so at some point you've got to expect that he's going to win most of the big matches. I don't think that necessarily kills the tension, you could probably say the same for big action movies and I can still be engaged by how well assembled the whole thing is.

You never really feel like the time was wasted when he loses, either. Even when he does so he learns a lot of new things to try out next time. The manga title is super apt that way.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It was cute as hell. :kimchi:

I like how casual Natsu was about asking him to go steady and how well it fits with her personality. She has always struck me as someone who just strikes forward to get what she wants, so her just going "Hey, why don't we start dating?" fits her perfectly. Also her taking him to the beach to make it more romantic was super cute and not something I expected her to do, it's nice seeing her plan something like that out. :3:

This is pretty much why I call it the anti-sports-manga(in a good way).

The hero and heroine actually getting together like normal people instead of 500 chapters of will they/won't they??? Notice how the story is better for it and DIDN'T suddenly explode and give the world cancer like most sports manga apparently thinks it does.

• Locked thread