Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Yeah, the Ide stuff feels like "This guy would totally be the main character in any other tennis anime." It's great. Also Viggy's posts are awesome, read all of them as I was catching up on the anime and they were really fun to read through.

I'm not a huge tennis player, but I'm big into fencing which I personally think is pretty similar in the mental aspect. Wonder if a lot of one-on-one sports have a similar mental aspect like that, because a lot of times I'm watching this and can think of a lot of analogues about what Maruo is saying. Like the change of pace strategy can be really important in fencing since parries are pretty much rallies in mental terms and the moment your opponent is used to your style your hit accuracy goes down dramatically. One thing I really love about this anime is how they put just as much(if not more) emphasis on the mental aspect than the physical one. At high level competitions(at least in fencing) the effect mental stuff can have on a match is huge. So I used to always be a little upset about how sports animes just had characters unlock more and more skills to get better. I figure they probably did that because that's way easier to write about, but I absolutely love how Baby Steps portrays each match as a war of attrition even when there's a huge skill gap between the two. It really feels like we're watching Maruo look for a tiny crack on a huge wall so he can exploit the hell out of it and that feels a lot more fun to watch than the usual anime "blow away the entire wall" ending because it feels like he actually earns his victories.

Also really love how they are developing Maruo and Natsu instead of sitting around doing nothing with that plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread