Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ViggyNash posted:

Not every ball is manufactured by the same company, obviously, and while there are standard specifications for a tennis ball, there's enough leeway that different balls can feel very different. Things like the weight and the felt can really change how a ball reacts.

I think this is a translation thing; usually when I see "heavy" being used in this context, it's in the sense of a powerful shot. Like, it's "heavy" because the opponent hit it so hard, not because the ball is physically heavy. Like a "heavy hit". Cool info regardless, tho. Your posts are awesome and make the show way more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

So Maruo has to win every match from now on until he's a pro? That takes some drama out of it.

Nah, at the very least he doesn't need to win the upcoming match against Eyebrows in the finals. It's just that if he wins this smaller local tournament, then I think he can get seeded in the All-Japan? Something like that. And he could still totally become a pro if he lost the All-Japan in the finals or something, it'd just create a conflict within himself and between him and his family. Which would actually be really interesting to watch.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

After watching a match as crazy as that, it's really fun for me to think back and realize that over the past 10 years sports anime has actually become relatively grounded. Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, they were fun shows but they were not even making a pretense of being set in the same world we occupy.

So when Maruo seems like he's making crazy shots or that guy from Yowapeda is acting like a weird demon or the kid from Haikyu just made a 5 foot vertical leap into the air, remember that not that long ago anime athletes were shooting lasers out of their eyes or turning their arms into spears or, if they wanted to do something realistic, perhaps having a boxing match with a wild bear (and winning).

Also, just in case anyone's thinking "yeah, but that stuff in Prince of Tennis was just metaphorical imagery, Tezuka didn't literally wipe out the dinosaurs with his powerful volley":

I think this guy died.

• Locked thread