Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

you can tell when somoene on youtube is playing HLM with a controller because they turn like a cement mixer

One of my co-workers plays every FPS that comes out on consoles and swears that it's better than using a mouse.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

lol @ hotline miami on anything but a pc

I played through HLM2 on pc with my dual shock 4 and it was fine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Durr how the hell would you play a twin stick shooter on a gamepad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anyway I played this game for about 40 minutes. I think you start out too slow and your mobility is super limited, which is fine since it will obviously get better, but some enemies move so much faster and more precisely than you that damage seems unavoidable. The two bosses I've fought have both been pretty lovely too, and there should be a skip dialogue box option so I don't have to read whatever gay indie storytelling crap is going on but the powerups are all pretty unique and it's clearly building towards some interesting stuff so I'm glad I bought it and look forward to starting over and playing it in a few months once I'm done platting bloodborne.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Durr how the hell would you play a twin stick shooter on a gamepad.

[An arcade, in the heart of America. The year is 1981. A showdown between the two most accomplished players is about to take place. Smoke fills the room, all badass just like in all the movies and magazine ads. Suddenly, tragedy strikes]: "Wh...What do they mean you use two sticks to move and shoot in Space Dungeon? WHY IS THERE NO KEYBOARD?"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

there should be a skip dialogue box option so I don't have to read whatever gay indie storytelling crap is going on

I think there's a speedrun mode that does exactly this

Dec 26, 2012

surc posted:

[An arcade, in the heart of America. The year is 1981. A showdown between the two most accomplished players is about to take place. Smoke fills the room, all badass just like in all the movies and magazine ads. Suddenly, tragedy strikes]: "Wh...What do they mean you use two sticks to move and shoot in Space Dungeon? WHY IS THERE NO KEYBOARD?"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pablo Gigante posted:

How does it even control on consoles? I don't understand

it's not very fun. super sluggish and awkward compared to pc

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Protagonist gay so what

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Axiom verge is not a metroidvania. It is instead just a metroid

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
*ascends into thread using really cool, but seriously twisted biomechanical elevator w/ beating heart, jaws, glowing mismatched eye sockets etc* This game's cool. Bye

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

*ascends into thread using really cool, but seriously twisted biomechanical elevator w/ beating heart, jaws, glowing mismatched eye sockets etc* This game's cool. Bye

*sinister synth notes fade in*

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

why is this game so pink

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Great Joe posted:

why is this game so pink

only one of the areas is heavy on the pink. the others arent as much.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
looks cool i will probably buy it

I hope there aren't too many talky parts or ~feels~

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

cant wait for this hot little piece of prime cut metroidvania to drop on the PC!!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

looks cool i will probably buy it

I hope there aren't too many talky parts or ~feels~

There are too many talky parts, but you just jam X through them

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

cant wait for this hot little piece of prime cut metroidvania to drop on the PC!!!!

word.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
speedrun mode cuts out all the dialogue and story poo poo. play that if it bothers you that much.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I really enjoy the soundtrack in this.

It's kind of easy except for a boss I just did, but it's still really fun.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I've been playing a lot of this. It's a side-scrolling action adventure game with heavy H. R. Geiger influences. The story is, I think, needlessly complex, but the platforming and combat feel very dialed in and precise. The game has an emphasis on collecting an assortment of varied weapons and switching between them for different scenarios. There's also an item you get early on that's mapped to a shoulder button that alters enemies and the surroundings. Some enemies go from shooting harmful lasers to helpful lasers, some turn into platforms you can ride on, that sort of thing. The game also mixes up some of the exploration abilities and the ways you gain access to new areas, and I know that there's more stuff to find. There are some secret areas that look like a poorly-loaded NES game, for reasons the game has yet to explain.

You can also input the "JUSTIN BAILEY" code from Metroid and the main character will run around in his bikini briefs.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

just beat it and holy heck there's a lot of secrets I still have to find.

I think every boss is easy if you know a good weapon combo.

also there are 20 different weapons and most of them are useful at least in some situations!!!

good soundtrack too and the pixel graphics weren't half-assed like in a lot of games.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
the animated parts of the levels are synced up to the beat of the music. i dont use drugs so can confirm this is real

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Gimbal lock posted:

Protagonist gay so what

Goddamn, he needs to shave his sideburns. Other than that, there's goonier out there.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Larry Parrish posted:

One of my co-workers plays every FPS that comes out on consoles and swears that it's better than using a mouse.

forgive your brother, for he knows not what he does

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I take back what I said about the game being easy. I got to some kind of hornet boss, and it kicks my teeth in every time I try it. I should probably go back through previous zones and maybe find a different weapon, or more health.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

I take back what I said about the game being easy. I got to some kind of hornet boss, and it kicks my teeth in every time I try it. I should probably go back through previous zones and maybe find a different weapon, or more health.

Find the beam that goes through enemies, it absolutely destroys him.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I tried one that does that, Inertia I think it's called. It's very low damage against regular enemies so I gave up on it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also when he gets ready to spit out adds shoot out one of your bombs, not only will it change their pattern so that they don't divebomb you, it'll slow down time and give you more time to react.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This game has some really sneakily hidden items, including what is probably my favorite now from a game of its type.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

One of the developers of this great game died shortly after the release :(

RIP Max Happ

http://www.axiomverge.com/blog/max

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

error1 posted:

One of the developers of this great game died shortly after the release :(

RIP Max Happ

http://www.axiomverge.com/blog/max

helluva speed run

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

axiom verge is now out on pc, and it is good. It is hell of fun to have the feel of metroid without the familiarity of having played it to death. The glitch gun is pretty sweet.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

You should tell him about the auto aim.

Also axiom verge looks cool, I might pick it up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I still haven't played this for more than an hour, despite buying it on release day.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
there is a ridiculous beep sound when you are on low health but otherwise this game is great. a good kind of weird.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I like the low health beep because it is in sync with the background music

A lot of the animation cycles are timed to the beat of the music too, it's pretty groovy and more games should do that

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
Actual Turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Antlions posted:

there is a ridiculous beep sound when you are on low health but otherwise this game is great. a good kind of weird.

most of the sound in the game is too loud and very harsh sounding which kinda blows because the music behind it is good.

• Locked thread