Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
Actual Turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Antlions posted:

there is a ridiculous beep sound when you are on low health but otherwise this game is great. a good kind of weird.

most of the sound in the game is too loud and very harsh sounding which kinda blows because the music behind it is good.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
so, uh, how does that die only once achievement work? is there a story defined moment where you die no matter what and it actually means don't die at all?

Real hurthling! posted:

most of the sound in the game is too loud and very harsh sounding which kinda blows because the music behind it is good.

the sound effects get louder in rooms with no bgm, I thought it was a nice touch, but it almost gets too loud.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

so, uh, how does that die only once achievement work? is there a story defined moment where you die no matter what and it actually means don't die at all?

yeah the story kills you once so its essentially the no death achievement

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
is this game good.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

rediscover posted:

is this game good.

way to ask such a subjective question, objective idiot

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Haven't played it, yeah it is.

Soral
May 30, 2009

this game is good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its good but the better than super metroid hype was not true.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

is this game good.

It seems cool but I never was able to get over how slow the movement speed was and never ended up playing more than an hour. Guess I have to wait 3 years for Iga's next game for someone to make a good metroidvania again

Soral
May 30, 2009

the lab coat that lets you glitch past walls is a neat movement upgrade

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Soral posted:

the lab coat that lets you glitch past walls is a neat movement upgrade

the upgrade to that is very nice

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Real hurthling! posted:

its good but the better than super metroid hype was not true.

i just wanted a metroid clone and this game delivers. the glitch stuff is a neat gimmick on top of that

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Real hurthling! posted:

better than super metroid hype

lmao

thanks for informing me of axiom verge because it looks sick as gently caress

I decided to play dust: an elysian tail, hoping to scratch the metroidvania itch that's been itching since shadow complex, and it sucks because the gameplay is super fun but it's interrupted by incredibly lovely furry cutscenes with bad voice acting every five minutes.

E: I have Valdis Story and Guacamele on my wishlist still. Would anyone recommend those?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 16, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guacamelee is really good and it's free on ps plus this month.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Guacamelee is really good and it's free on ps plus this month.

yes. guacamelee is loving fantastic and they added even more content to it.

valdis story is more like a bootleg castlevania than metroid, it's not great and looks like a lovely anime abortion

Dec 26, 2012

valdis story rules, and recently got a content patch with the other 2 characters

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

:20bux:... :20bux:? Hmm. :20bux:. poo poo! I can't make an informed decision as a video game consumer whether I should get this game now and play it on my SNES controller or wait for a sale!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bolverkur posted:

play it on my SNES controller

you need 4 shoulder buttons

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm loving lost. I've defeated the third boss, picked up the drone, got 6 of the weapons and the code menu (JUSTIN BAILEY works) the lab coat, the upgraded scrambler..... not sure where to go now. I'm supposed to be finding repair drones for the other AI..

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

(JUSTIN BAILEY works)

loving spoilers man

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Fixed.

Anyway besides being lost atm I really like the game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bolverkur posted:

:20bux:... :20bux:? Hmm. :20bux:. poo poo! I can't make an informed decision as a video game consumer whether I should get this game now and play it on my SNES controller or wait for a sale!

are you suggesting I just buy the game without knowing what others think of it because the last time I did that I ended up with the adventures of furry mcyiff as mentioned above

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm loving lost. I've defeated the third boss, picked up the drone, got 6 of the weapons and the code menu (JUSTIN BAILEY works) the lab coat, the upgraded scrambler..... not sure where to go now. I'm supposed to be finding repair drones for the other AI..

You need to keep pushing for the top/right of the map. the first half of the game is travelling in a big U and back again.

Once you cross the gap in the steam room, you can't return until you get a particular item. one of the game's big failures is pacing and having the middle of the game potentially become a trap for first time players is really annoying + all the meaningful traversal upgrades are clustered in the endgame . the other failure is that the next several bosses you will face are all terrible.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

are you suggesting I just buy the game without knowing what others think of it because the last time I did that I ended up with the adventures of furry mcyiff as mentioned above

no, i was describing my own thought process in that i can't decide whether i myself should buy this game for :20bux: based on what people are saying

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Machai posted:

you need 4 shoulder buttons

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bolverkur posted:

no, i was describing my own thought process in that i can't decide whether i myself should buy this game for :20bux: based on what people are saying

Oh whoops my bad :kiddo:

Bolverkur posted:

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

I discovered that xbone controllers are pretty great for side scrollery games because they have an actual not-piece-of-poo poo dpad and you can just plug it in and use it (has a standard micro USB plug and comes with a cable)

Sucks the triggers aren't clicky though

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Have you tried NARPAS SWORD as well?

Soral
May 30, 2009

the 4th boss was impossible until i realized that the shittiest gun in the game is the only one that hurts him. the grapple sucks. other than these 2 things the game has been incredible

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

You need to keep pushing for the top/right of the map. the first half of the game is travelling in a big U and back again.

Once you cross the gap in the steam room, you can't return until you get a particular item. one of the game's big failures is pacing and having the middle of the game potentially become a trap for first time players is really annoying + all the meaningful traversal upgrades are clustered in the endgame . the other failure is that the next several bosses you will face are all terrible.

Thanks it turns out that I just couldn't see the corrupted blocks I needed to shift over a pool in one of the rooms. The fourth boss was easy, I picked up a few items but I think I'm done for the night.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Have you tried NARPAS SWORD as well?

I tried NARPAS SWORD0 which didn't work.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
axiom verge owns and is totally worth $20 imo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

lmao

thanks for informing me of axiom verge because it looks sick as gently caress

I decided to play dust: an elysian tail, hoping to scratch the metroidvania itch that's been itching since shadow complex, and it sucks because the gameplay is super fun but it's interrupted by incredibly lovely furry cutscenes with bad voice acting every five minutes.

E: I have Valdis Story and Guacamele on my wishlist still. Would anyone recommend those?

I was a big fan of the gameplay for Dust, but yeah everything else about it was a pure abortion of furry poo poo voice acting.

Soral
May 30, 2009

holky gently caress finding the secret codes that unlock the hidden areas is awesome... it's like fez but wrapped inside a good game. so much win

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I don't like the area with the pseudo-Arabic chanting. It's really annoying and stands out in a bad way with the rest of the soundtrack.

Soral
May 30, 2009

agreed, but the area that connects to it has some sick beats that only get better the further in you go

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't like the area with the pseudo-Arabic chanting. It's really annoying and stands out in a bad way with the rest of the soundtrack.

same, easily the worst song in the soundtrack

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hey this game is really good and so is the music

the upgrades are just so bizarre i love it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Soral posted:

agreed, but the area that connects to it has some sick beats that only get better the further in you go

Are you talking about the surface soundtrack? Yeah, I really liked that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

the temple past the surface area has the sickest beats

• Locked thread