Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I think I just used the lightning gun during the entire fight since it would easily kill the baby hornets. Not sure if you have it though.

i ended up using the piercing shots gun. it just goes thru him and straight to his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

now I remember why I stopped playing this game. it's because all the bosses were so bad. i think I fought like 5 and since you have limited to no mobility every single fight was me finding the spot where his animations don't reach you and then spamming the base gun until the fight ended. They're so boring

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

now I remember why I stopped playing this game. it's because all the bosses were so bad. i think I fought like 5 and since you have limited to no mobility every single fight was me finding the spot where his animations don't reach you and then spamming the base gun until the fight ended. They're so boring

the only bad boss fight imo is the hornet

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just wish I could start the game on a high difficulty with all the lab coat upgrades.

edit: Also I probably should kill that second boss legit because I just ran behind him where he couldn't hit me and shot him in the brains repeatedly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ill definitely do a hard mode run at some point in the future but right now it would feel really lovely not to have the screwattack labcoat

id love to see a breakdown of the story too because some of the secret notes you find when youre backtracking with that coat are real juicy sounding

the final boss is a complete pushover lol

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

huh, turns out this game owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

the only bad boss fight imo is the hornet

the two not-bosses in the mid game were really blue ballsy imo. each of them should have been a real fight.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

honestly it just doesnt feel like the game is about boss fights and its more about the exploration and platforming

it sucks though because the actual designs for them are really cool but theyre either really easy or really annoying

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

the final boss is a complete pushover lol

Not sure how you went about it but spamming the dash and distortion field was overkill on the boss and my thumbs.

What does the difficulty setting do? The best hard mode to me would be on normal with self imposed power up limitations. Turning enemies into HP sponges is never fun.

edit: I know its been said over and over but the game really suffers from the lack of bosses.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Not sure how you went about it but spamming the dash and distortion field was overkill on the boss and my thumbs.

What does the difficulty setting do? The best hard mode to me would be on normal with self imposed power up limitations. Turning enemies into HP sponges is never fun.

edit: I know its been said over and over but the game really suffers from the lack of bosses.

surprise: hard mode increases enemy hp and damage

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soral posted:

surprise: hard mode increases enemy hp and damage

metroid zero mission will forever be the only game to do metroid hard mode correctly

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
so what is expected to be found in each secret area? I just found my weapon one but didn't find a power up with it. Does the weapon one not have a second pick up?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

this has close to the same number of bosses metroid has so idk why it feels so different

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

secret areas are random for each playthrough i thought. is there any rhyme or reason to the rewards?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i found 3 secret zones and got nothing unique out of them. one had two projectile size upgrades, the other two had one range upgrade each and nothing else. :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

i found 3 secret zones and got nothing unique out of them. one had two projectile size upgrades, the other two had one range upgrade each and nothing else. :(

i found 1 area. it had one small health thing and one small power thing, both that you need 6 of to level

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
theres 5 secret areas per save file. theres always one in edin or 2 other areas that i forget that has a secret weapon in it. the rest just have 2 small powerups

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
makes sense becuase you have to be able to finish up the power up and get all 6/6 otherwise thats just dumb

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
You know, you could replace all these optional weapons with a single upgradable charge shot and I'd be stoked.

Anyway, the first time I fought the final boss it was intense as gently caress because I kept killing the eyeballs when they got down to the bottom and it took me a second to figure out where the weak spot was. This time I just went in with the flame thrower and...... the fight probably lasted less than a minute.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

the final area is annoying. the devs idea of increasing difficulty by having everything fly around real fast and be impossible to dodge while shooting machine gun projectiles at you is dumb and i hate it

the game would benefit a lot by having more movement upgrades that actually made it more fun/easier to move around and dodge

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

the final area is annoying. the devs idea of increasing difficulty by having everything fly around real fast and be impossible to dodge while shooting machine gun projectiles at you is dumb and i hate it

the game would benefit a lot by having more movement upgrades that actually made it more fun/easier to move around and dodge

that's the difficulty design from moment one and I never liked it. Hell I have egg on my face from being the OP of this thread and never getting anywhere close to finishing this game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's like the dev took everything good about Metroid and then decided it would way more fun if you moved slower, took more damage from enemies and added partial upgrades that didn't actually do anything when you acquired them. Bizarre

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

the lab coat gives you invincibility frames.

also, the flamethrower makes all the final areas cake. i mean, its a super secret final weapon youre only supposed to find the passcode for in a secret area right before the final boss, if it didnt totally shred everything id be disappointed

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

the lab coat gives you invincibility frames.

also, the flamethrower makes all the final areas cake. i mean, its a super secret final weapon youre only supposed to find the passcode for in a secret area right before the final boss, if it didnt totally shred everything id be disappointed

yeah but when ur in the heat of battle its hard to use the labcoat in an effective way. i just end up bumping into walls or the enemies and taking damage anyway or shjit like that. having to double tap to use it is really annoying and it should be illegal to have any ability/feature tied to double tapping the stick/dpad. i still really like the game though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Double tapping to dash in fighting games is acceptable.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Double tapping to dash in fighting games is acceptable.

yeah

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i was messing around and trying to find the items i had missed going for 100% but with how well hidden some of the poo poo is and how many options the devs have for hiding things when the game is designed knowing you can literally warp through walls and teleport yourself into any nook and cranny w/ the drone its insanely tedious and i actually just really like listening to the music

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I started looking for things on my own and decided to just use a map. :shrug:

I can effectively use the double tap but a button would be definitely be easier and less painful.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think what every metroidvania desperately needs is an indicator for the obstacles you run into. guacamelee has it and it's really nice when you're backtracking and see "oh theres a blue door there i couldn't open before, let me hit that spot"

it sucks when youre lost and youre just checking the map and notice there's a hallway you didn't fully explore and youre all "yesss i have found the way" then you get there and remember there's some really advanced obstacle you dont have the things for yet. the best and worst thing about axiom is that it's very easy to get totally loving lost

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

it sucks when youre lost and youre just checking the map and notice there's a hallway you didn't fully explore and youre all "yesss i have found the way" then you get there and remember there's some really advanced obstacle you dont have the things for yet.
this happened to me like fifteen times

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

only complaints about this game:

the heart/damage piece type upgrades are loving lame
some of the bosses are less than spectacular
really really easy to get totally lost and end up re-running the whole game checking what you missed

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Bobnumerotres posted:

only complaints about this game:

the heart/damage piece type upgrades are loving lame
some of the bosses are less than spectacular
really really easy to get totally lost and end up re-running the whole game checking what you missed

you forgot to mention how totally garbage the grappling hook is

worst grappling hook in a video game ever

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Someone needs to hurry the gently caress up and make a secret world guide. I've only found one after like 2 hours of searching.

Soral
May 30, 2009

AHungryRobot posted:

Someone needs to hurry the gently caress up and make a secret world guide. I've only found one after like 2 hours of searching.

there are maps with every possible secret world spawn location marked on it floating around already. if thats not enough to help you then you might have brain problems

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah the grappling hook is terrible

also gently caress the hornet fight, you pretty much have no option but to trade blows once it starts getting faster and in hard mode this means death. i cant loving beat it

e:uhhh i made it eat a powerbomb and it died instantly lol

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Soral posted:

there are maps with every possible secret world spawn location marked on it floating around already. if thats not enough to help you then you might have brain problems

This one? http://sirtaptap.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Axiom-Verge-Map-All-Items1.png

Cause this one doesn't have all the spots.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
when you are close to a secret world scanlines will appear on your screen

it's most noticeable on your life bar

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bobnumerotres posted:

metroid zero mission will forever be the only game to do metroid hard mode correctly

I remember this one room in shadow complex with a turret that was loving murder on the hardest difficulty because it takes like two bullets to kill you but there's soldiers coming at you nonstop from all angles for like ten whole minutes

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Bobnumerotres posted:

yeah the grappling hook is terrible

also gently caress the hornet fight, you pretty much have no option but to trade blows once it starts getting faster and in hard mode this means death. i cant loving beat it

e:uhhh i made it eat a powerbomb and it died instantly lol

This is where I stopped. I liked the game at first but there were a ton of little things that I didn't like along with bad boss design just made me quit. I can see why people like Axiom Verge but it just doesn't even come close to the best games in this genre. It doesn't even come close to the GBA Castlevania games.

I wonder how close I am to the end and if I should just power through it. I did pay 20 bones for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the hornet is a very unfortunate lovely boss and it's the wall between you and the best part of the game (warping around with the screw attack and sentry warp collecting all the hidden goodies)

• Locked thread