Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Shut up SedanChair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Shut up SedanChair.

I can't believe you'd try to silence a proud black man.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

My gosh you guys are reliable.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well it didn't take you too long to show your true colors

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

True colors? By pointing out to someone that our worldwide naval presence is necessary to ensure the free flow of global commerce?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

It's of immense value to those who profit from it, and none whatsoever to anybody else.

Well yeah, that's why Japan's government is so in favor of it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't believe you'd try to silence a proud white man.

fixed that for you :iamafag:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well yeah, that's why Japan's government is so in favor of it.

no you see japaneseland would get bombed again if they evicted the base

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Great job guys, the racism is really sharpening your rebuttals.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Great job guys, the racism is really sharpening your rebuttals.

look at how faded your poo poo is

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I responded earnestly.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

SedanChair posted:

It's of immense value to those who profit from it, and none whatsoever to anybody else.

No loving poo poo. Military force isn't a goddamn charity. It's meant to secure the interests of its parent nation. If those interests happen to benefit allies or other parties that's great but it's not the end goal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bolow posted:

No loving poo poo. Military force isn't a goddamn charity. It's meant to secure the interests of its parent nation. If those interests happen to benefit allies or other parties that's great but it's not the end goal.

But why defend it? I think we were all taking the power politics as a given.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Hey guys the military is only a benefit to those whom it benefits, hope that helps.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

in the grim darkness of realpolitik reality,

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

Why are you invested in the strategic interests or priorities of the United States?

Maybe Nostalgia4Infinity is American?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

like, the most you can get is everyone agreeing to have a lovely military and oversight from all the other guys to make sure it's actually lovely so everyone feels safer because nobody has a sufficiently overwhelming military advantage to swing their nuclear armed dick around casually and everyone has enough of a military to prevent whoever overestimates the size of their tiny conventional penis from penetrating their areas of interest

this works until someone buys a fuckton of bombs for no good reason

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 9, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

or maybe we should have a world government that gets all the guns in case we have to blow up an alien invasion (and to fight crime in their spare time), which is going to happen soon(tm)

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Because American imperialism is actually pretty loving cool and rad*

*provided you don't live in the middle east, central or south america and Vietnam circa 1960

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

blowfish posted:

or maybe we should have a world government that gets all the guns in case we have to blow up an alien invasion (and to fight crime in their spare time), which is going to happen soon(tm)
But then the Joker will kill Superman's wife and we're all hosed thanks a lot forums poster blowfish.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think you mean Superman will kill his wife!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Hey guys the military is only a benefit to those whom it benefits, hope that helps.

Well maybe the people it benefits could pay for it.

That's cool that companies want to ship manufacturing jobs overseas and count on the US Navy to pay all the costs of protecting their shipments of manufactured crap back to the USA, so how about we just submit them a big-rear end invoice instead of continually cutting the corporate tax rate and shifting the costs of defending their commercial empires onto average people.

...I mean yeah sure, it's good for average Americans if pirates don't capture shipments of raw materials like the rare earths being mined in Mongolia, but the US Navy is hilariously oversized for the job of blowing up some piddly little pirates.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 10, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
We should raise the top bracket tax rate well before we should try and raise the corporate rates. Also, shipping manufacturing overseas doesn't have anything to do with why its important for the US to keep the oceans safe and trade flowing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

We should raise the top bracket tax rate well before we should try and raise the corporate rates.

Actually, no. Though really it's not a question of raising the rates so much as finally funding the IRS enough to go after blatant tax evasion schemes that they don't have the personnel to combat.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Which isn't raising the rates, is it? I'm all for running down fraud, tax evasion, and generally making life miserable for companies that want to take government support and then decide they're suddenly an Irish company because their tax would be lower. That doesn't change the fact that we'd be better off dropping another 20-30% on the top income tax bracket.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Which isn't raising the rates, is it? I'm all for running down fraud, tax evasion, and generally making life miserable for companies that want to take government support and then decide they're suddenly an Irish company because their tax would be lower. That doesn't change the fact that we'd be better off dropping another 20-30% on the top income tax bracket.

The rates proper are too low.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Closing loopholes and going after tax evasion raises the effective rates.

But instead of doing this, we say "well can't stop companies from exploiting the loopholes their lobbyists deliberately put into the tax code so let's lower their rates again"

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
someone earlier mentioned unit 731 as a justification for unconditional surrender. Fun facts: the guy who ran unit 731 was exempted from this 'unconditional surrender' and given amnesty by the US in exchange for the medical notes he kept on all the experimentation. this way the information wouldn't go to waste/the US wouldn't have to do more Tuskegee syphilis experiments on blacks. so it's not really a good example. Cheers

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 10, 2015

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Considering China is building artificial islands to house military bases in the Spratleys , I think the value of US military bases in the west pacific is pretty obvious.

quote:

The Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia and Japan have competing claims in the area.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 10, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rodatose posted:

someone earlier mentioned unit 731 as a justification for unconditional surrender. Fun facts: the guy who ran unit 731 was exempted from this 'unconditional surrender' and given amnesty by the US in exchange for the medical notes he kept on all the experimentation. this way the information wouldn't go to waste/the US wouldn't have to do more Tuskegee syphilis experiments on blacks. so it's not really a good example. Cheers

The best part about it? Unit 731 provided fuckall for good information. It was all just grotesque torture with little to no value. The nazi scientists were actually useful in that regard.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Finding out the Japanese didn't discover some secret biological super weapon isn't without value in 1945, in terms of eliminating unknown unknowns.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The world would be so much better if Japan built up their own military. What's that? No, I haven't heard anything ever about East Asian history or talked to a Chinese person ever. Why do you ask? Now, if you don't mind, I've got to stand up for the oppressed victims of the Japanese dictatorship on Okinawa.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
The pro okinawans don't want japanese buildup on okinawa. okinawa is a relatively recent conquest, why should it follow that it goes to the conquerors of the conquerors as a lump sum deal

Some parts of modern nation states are not assimilated willingly

e: the goal should be to be enough of a hassle to not make it worth the effort for anyone, not "who do we best want to serve in the great geopolitical game."

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 10, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ah yes the creeping CHINESE MILITARY THREAT

They're going to invade Hawaii and take all their Baofeng radios back.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Best Friends posted:

The world would be so much better if Japan built up their own military. What's that? No, I haven't heard anything ever about East Asian history or talked to a Chinese person ever. Why do you ask? Now, if you don't mind, I've got to stand up for the oppressed victims of the Japanese dictatorship on Okinawa.

Indeed, lets honor the Chinese who were brutally exterminated by the Japanese military by building a military base for the the express purpose of militarily intimidating China.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chomskyan posted:

Indeed, lets honor the Chinese who were brutally exterminated by the Japanese military by building a military base for the the express purpose of militarily intimidating China.

The Chinese, who are so intimidated they're still one of America's main economic trading partners despite our ongoing military confrontations with them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So now we're fantasizing that American naval bases are the only obstacle to a Japanese conquest of the People's Republic of China.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
There's always another horde ready to take over. if there isn't then all those years in the service would have just been a normal job, like a janitor, clerk or construction worker, without any greater significance. or actually, less significance because those other jobs actually provide something more tangible than a sense of security

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

So now we're fantasizing that American naval bases are the only obstacle to a Japanese conquest of the People's Republic of China.

Which is funny when you consider nobody has done more to re-militarize the Japanese than the U.S.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It must be a struggle to simultaneously believe arms races don't exist or inflame tensions while also being very mad at the U.S. military industrial complex.

I'm just crossing my fingers that someday Japan will finally be a democracy and be able to make their own decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Best Friends posted:

It must be a struggle to simultaneously believe arms races don't exist or inflame tensions while also being very mad at the U.S. military industrial complex.

A theoretical Japanese arms race with China might be bad, so let's just get into an even bigger arms race with china ourselves :confused:

• Locked thread