Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

The White Phosphorous crew is in a certain thread with another acronym. To clarify I meant white power.

There is no white phosphorus use in Baltimore. There was a race riot due to the glacial speed of American justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
tim wise is problematic

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

There is no white phosphorus use in Baltimore. There was a race riot due to the glacial speed of American justice.

I agree MIGF.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I thought he was talking about Baltimore until I clicked the article.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I love all the people talking about Japan whitewashing what happened in ww2 because it's not like we live in a country that has always done it's best to whitewash and pretend it really want as bad as some people say for things like our treatment of the native Americans, slavery, internment camps for japanese-americans in ww2, and all the other crap that we as a nation have done that we do our best to ignore or pretend it wasn't that bad, and that is how it is passed on to the next generation. Is Japan different because they didn't win and only the victors get to rewrite history?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I love all the people talking about Japan whitewashing what happened in ww2 because it's not like we live in a country that has always done it's best to whitewash and pretend it really want as bad as some people say for things like our treatment of the native Americans, slavery, internment camps for japanese-americans in ww2, and all the other crap that we as a nation have done that we do our best to ignore or pretend it wasn't that bad, and that is how it is passed on to the next generation. Is Japan different because they didn't win and only the victors get to rewrite history?

Japan owes every Pearl Harbor vet compensation, not to mention 100 million PRC citizens.

The United States owes several red-states to Native Americans.

Also MIGF is correct in that there is bad history in grade-school about our past, but if you leave primary school you will meet the truth at some point. Nowhere in Japan is this allowed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Khisanth Magus posted:

We admit those things happened and teach them in schools. When's the last time Japanese schools taught about their rape camps?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

zoux posted:

This is why it's pointless to argue with people. Lady was tweeting fake racist looting photos and:

something something newsbusters

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Let's make this happen.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah that twitter exchange pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with America.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Khisanth Magus posted:

My Lai was literally as bad as Nanking, Okinawa, and Comfort Women?

I could see seeking some sort of acknowledgement that poo poo like the Dresden firestorm or the atomic bombings were atrocities if not a grade-A war crimes due to being conducted against cities full of refugees/civilians with debatable military importance but there's a layer of deniability that isn't there with stuff like kidnapping women as sex slaves.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Not to deny the bad poo poo that happened in WWII by America, but I think the really horrendous modern poo poo America did on the same level as Japan's happened over the post-war years usually done by the CIA in secret. Stuff that is probably still classified.

And when it comes to War on Terror poo poo compared to Cold War poo poo, we've got decades until it's seen fit to be mentioned as an aside on page 17.

There is plenty of denial, and while people who study history in college will know, anyone before, probably not.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

My Lai was literally as bad as Nanking, Okinawa, and Comfort Women?

I could see seeking some sort of acknowledgement that poo poo like the Dresden firestorm or the atomic bombings were atrocities if not a grade-A war crimes due to being conducted against cities full of refugees/civilians with debatable military importance but there's a layer of deniability that isn't there with stuff like kidnapping women as sex slaves.

There's a strong argument that the US could have prevented the holocaust but didn't because we didn't like the jews much either. I'm not convinced, but its still a strong argument.

I've always found this article very interesting on the topic: http://harpers.org/archive/2011/05/why-im-a-pacifist/

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

On Terra Firma posted:

Let's make this happen.

Yeah, I'm totally on board with trading some beads for Oklahoma, Montana, Kansas, Wyoming, and the Dakotas at this point, and while we're at it we should throw in Mississippi, and Louisiana to give them some port access.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

USPol May: You encounter TOM COTTON wielding [IGNORANCE OF] THE CONSTITUTION. He appears to want to debate you...

Joementum posted:

If Operation Jade Helm 15 is a plot by Obama to use the military to overthrow the US government, what was the goal of Operations Jade Helm 1 through 14?

Practice. We didn't land on the moon until Apollo 11.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Japan owes every Pearl Harbor vet compensation, not to mention 100 million PRC citizens.

Also MIGF is correct in that there is bad history in grade-school about our past, but if you leave primary school you will meet the truth at some point. Nowhere in Japan is this allowed.

That's not true, Japanese textbooks have it all, here's a dude who knows what he'a talking about

ozza posted:

Don't know where you're getting your info from, but this is incorrect. The most commonly-used Japanese textbooks include information about Japan's atrocities across Asia, including the Nanjing massacre, comfort women, and Unit 731. The charge that can be leveled against them is that these most-commonly-used textbooks contain little jingoism and present no concrete historical narrative to students. They just present bare facts, without much moralising or guidance to students on how they should react to these things. The text books that actively whitewash history and actually omit Japan's atrocities are a very small minority, and adopted only by a tiny percentage of schools. This article explains it better than I have, alongide comparison to Chinese, South Korean and American text books: http://www.nippon.com/en/in-depth/a00703/

Basically Abe is a dick who solicits support from the Japanese far right, and the population at large is mostly indifferent to the war though it's all covered in school, and does not castigate the far right as much as it should

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

That's not true, Japanese textbooks have it all, here's a dude who knows what he'a talking about

Basically Abe is a dick who solicits support from the Japanese far right, and the population at large is mostly indifferent to the war though it's all covered in school, and does not castigate the far right as much as it should

The tea party should get those megaphone trucks from the crazy Japanese right wingers.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
I wonder what Rumsfeld thinks about all this "looting"?

e: a word

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Yeah this whole war apology thing appears to be not an apology from the nation of Japan but an apology by Abe for being a douchebag over the war.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah this whole war apology thing appears to be not an apology from the nation of Japan but an apology by Abe for being a douchebag over the war.

Expecting a right wing but from any country to apologize for being a douchebag about anything is a clear sign of being way too optimistic for this world.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Munkeymon posted:

USPol May: You encounter TOM COTTON wielding [IGNORANCE OF] THE CONSTITUTION. He appears to want to debate you...

I like this one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Khisanth Magus posted:

Except for the fact that while we have plenty of shitbags who say 'ya know slavery wasn't that bad' but still teach that yes we enslaved black people. This is pretty different from an active government denial of multiple war crimes including poo poo like 'comfort women' who's children never saw any acknowledgement or compensation because of this.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Khisanth Magus posted:

Expecting a right wing but from any country to apologize for being a douchebag about anything is a clear sign of being way too optimistic for this world.

You expect it from a nation which you've nuked, especially when they come to your Congress to speak.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I stand corrected. I imagined there to be a force of Japanese citizens who want to progress with its neighbors, not remain antagonistic to them at a foreign policy level, and some day those people will hopefully take the reins of power in Japan.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I stand corrected. I imagined there to be a force of American citizens who want to progress with its neighbors, not remain antagonistic to them at a foreign policy level, and some day those people will hopefully take the reins of power in America.

~Me in 2005.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

~Me in 2005.

The wait is not much longer my friends!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Of course, the United States government forfeited the right to press Japan on its actions in World War II after George W Bush lost to then-Japanese PM Junichiro Koizumi in a high-stakes match of mahjong.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Of course, the United States government forfeited the right to press Japan on its actions in World War II after George W Bush lost to then-Japanese PM Junichiro Koizumi in a high-stakes match of mahjong.

Bush can't do anything right.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

Really? I woulda pegged W. as more a pachinko man, myself.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Guess before every time I post about the atrocities one country has committed, I'll type out an exhaustive list of every atrocity committed by any country, then I'll be allowed to talk. Do I have to do all the central and south American tribes too? Those are gonna be hard...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Really? I woulda pegged W. as more a pachinko man, myself.
Well, you know W. Bush Senior is really good at mahjong and the moment Koizumi said that his father couldn't beat him W couldn't help but take the challenge.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

Well, you know W. Bush Senior is really good at mahjong and the moment Koizumi said that his father couldn't beat him W couldn't help but take the challenge.

Did he take the opportunity to unleash Chang?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

I kinda miss the naivete of the Bush era. With W., you knew where things stood. With Obama? He's got this nuance, he's either going with #TeamVal or #TeamDick for the day. With W., you knew everyone was on the same page.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

In case you're curious, all of this actually happened.

in a manga

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Speaking to members of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and the media, Cruz pointedly attacked the president for repeated missed opportunities to lead on race issues since he came into office.

"He's made decisions that I think have inflamed racial tensions -- that have divided us rather than bring us together," the Texas senator said. […]

Cruz could offer no specific examples on what he could do as President to address the tensions among minority communities when he was pressed.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/politics/ted-cruz-obama-racial-tensions-election-2016/index.html

Ugh, that video. Cruz is a terrible speaker who thinks of himself as a great speaker.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Ugh, that video. Cruz is a terrible speaker who thinks of himself as a great speaker.

Well, he's smart enough to know that he can't just say "Not be black" out loud.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Well other than "be black" what exactly has Obama done to increase tensions? Nobody ever gets specific :iiam:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

karlor posted:

Obama pls nuke Vegas so we can live out our Fallout fantasies

Vegas was spared in the atomic war preceding the events of the Fallout series which what allowed it to become a hub of commerce and stability.
:goonsay:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

Well other than "be black" what exactly has Obama done to increase tensions? Nobody ever gets specific :iiam:
Eric Holder fast and furious race hustlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Vegas was spared in the atomic war preceding the events of the Fallout series which what allowed it to become a hub of commerce and stability.
:goonsay:
well yeah but mister house has to build his securitron army first

...god drat it I'm going to have to play it again, aren't I

• Locked thread