Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zoux posted:

Dad, why did you bring me to a gay pizza parlor?

The best way to protest this would be to make pizza the traditional food of gay weddings. Maybe it could become the stereotypical gay food.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

All I see is a Small Business Owner being unfairly bullied and discriminated against for her religious beliefs

"Excuse me, I know your restaurant is vegan, but I really want a steak. Oh and BTW, I'm gay so if I don't get it I'm going to sue you for discrimination."-How 50% of the country thinks this law works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

RevKrule posted:

I just don't understand this. If the bill is just a reproduction of the federal law, why pass it anyway? Don't local laws just inherit the laws above them if there's nothing set?

If you want it in line with the federal version, why not just not pass it, then you're covered under the federal version?

Yes, I understand this was a straight up hate bill the backfired magnificently in their faces

The federal law in this case doesn't apply to the states.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Don't forget, Indiana also just convicted a woman of killing her fetus when she tried to commit suicide:

http://www.wncn.com/story/28664509/first-woman-in-us-sentenced-for-killing-a-fetus

No, she didn't try to commit suicide, just threw the baby a dumpster after delivery.

Although this was an educational article in that Asian Americans can be referred to as "people of color", did not realize that.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Internet Webguy posted:

"Excuse me, I know your restaurant is vegan, but I really want a steak. Oh and BTW, I'm gay so if I don't get it I'm going to sue you for discrimination."-How 50% of the country thinks this law works.

Once SCOTUS makes gays a protected class, though...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheDisreputableDog posted:

No, she didn't try to commit suicide, just threw the baby a dumpster after delivery.

Although this was an educational article in that Asian Americans can be referred to as "people of color", did not realize that.

quote:

"Purvi Patel's conviction amounts to punishment for having a miscarriage and then seeking medical care, something that no woman should worry would lead to jail time," said Deepa Iyer, Activist-in-Residence at the University of Maryland's Asian American Studies Program and former director of South Asian Americans Leading Together.

Despite Patel's claim that she gave birth to a stillborn child, prosecutors argued that Patel gave birth to a live fetus and charged her with child neglect. Prosecutors also claimed that Patel ordered abortion-inducing drugs online and tried to terminate her pregnancy, but a toxicology report failed to find evidence of any drugs in her system.

Patel is the first woman to be sentenced under Indiana's feticide laws but she isn't the first woman to be charged. In 2011, Bei Bei Shuai, a Chinese American-woman, was held in prison for a year before feticide charges against her were dropped as part of a plea deal. Shuai was reportedly suffering from depression and tried to commit suicide while pregnant. She survived, but the fetus did not.

"Instead of receiving the medical support and counseling [Shuai] so desperately needed, the state charged her with murder and attempted feticide," said Iyer.

Different case, same state.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

CommieGIR posted:

Don't forget, Indiana also just convicted a woman of killing her fetus when she tried to commit suicide:

http://www.wncn.com/story/28664509/first-woman-in-us-sentenced-for-killing-a-fetus

Where are you getting suicide from?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The governor of Arkansas ordered the legislature rethink the religious freedom bill BEFORE he signed it? So Arkansas > Indiana now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The governor of Arkansas ordered the legislature rethink the religious freedom bill BEFORE he signed it? So Arkansas > Indiana now?

What the gently caress is the statutory criteria for "rethinking".

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hey, it's not too often that Arkansas can find a state to be less backwards than.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spaceman Future! posted:

There is no recourse against the Koch brothers

Actually, yeah, there is

:commissar:

:getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

Where are you getting suicide from?

It was a different case, same state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bei_Bei_Shuai

Either way, we're charging someone who has a miscarriage, largely criminalizing miscarriages. Regardless, this is setting a dangerous trend, and in Tennessee, they've enacted a law where women who use drugs while pregnant will go to jail after the birth, largely criminalizing someone who needs help and counseling, not prison time and a record.

quote:

Shuai's case is the first in the history of Indiana in which a woman is prosecuted for murder for a suicide attempt while pregnant.[6] The feticide statute under which she is also prosecuted was intended, when enacted in 1979, to cover acts by violent third parties such as abusive boyfriends.[4] Women's groups in the U.S. warned that Shuai's prosecution could set a precedent for criminalizing a pregnant woman's actions, such as smoking or drinking, or having a miscarriage.[4]

At least 38 U.S. states have similar "fetal homicide" laws, which are increasingly used to prosecute the pregnant women themselves.[9] Recent similar cases in other states include that of Rennie Gibbs (charged with murder in Mississippi for having a stillborn daughter while addicted to cocaine) and at least 40 cases of pregnant women charged in Alabama under a "chemical endangerment" statute originally intended to protect children from the fumes of illicit meth labs run by their parents.

The problem with the case I linked is that multiple states are starting to prosecute stillbirths and miscarriages. That is the issue at hand.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 1, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

arkansas has always been a liberal bastion compared to indiana

at least Arkansas bothered to secede before it fought against The Union

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Internet Webguy posted:

The best way to protest this would be to make pizza the traditional food of gay weddings. Maybe it could become the stereotypical gay food.

I've been calling for it to be a thing that gay weddings have hookahs full of pot for a while now. They would be the gay wedding what an open bar is to irish ones. A pizza buffet would go along well with that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

We had 100+ years of "no colored allowed" signs being fine and dandy, I don't see posting a "no gays allowed" sign having any more of an impact.

And as to Chik-fil-a they still saw a robust and continuing bump of support for being anti-gay even if they did stop directly funding anti-gay groups.

The thing I think you're missing here is that unlike things like systemic racism, incarceration rates and so on, things like lynching and exclusionary signs are Clear and Obvious signs of racism to even the most ignorant of folks.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Samurai Sanders posted:

TBF we expect this from literal shithole Arkansas. I spent an afternoon going to the Clinton library on a road trip once and the first thing I saw when I crossed the bridge from Memphis was a guy straight out of Duck Dynasty and a black teenager in one of those road crew outfits from community service chase a dog across a busy I-40W. The dog stopped at the grass median, looked at the both of them, and immediately ran in front of a semi truck.

My first and most riveting experience in Arkansas was watching a dog commit suicide so it wouldn't have to be in Arkansas anymore.

edit: The Clinton Library sells mousepads of Socks's face though, so it wasn't all terrible.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 1, 2015

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

It was a different case, same state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bei_Bei_Shuai

Either way, we're charging someone who has a miscarriage, largely criminalizing miscarriages. Regardless, this is setting a dangerous trend, and in Tennessee, they've enacted a law where women who use drugs while pregnant will go to jail after the birth, largely criminalizing someone who needs help and counseling, not prison time and a record.

The problem with the case I linked is that multiple states are starting to prosecute stillbirths and miscarriages. That is the issue at hand.

Last time this stuff came up there were articles from Latin America and South America basically confirming this practice as being par for the course for poo poo-headed anti-abortion countries (and states). Of course it was mostly poor women who were charged, but it was causing people to hide miscarriages and not seek medical treatment.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

zoux posted:

What the gently caress is the statutory criteria for "rethinking".

It's a term meaning the walmart executives don't want the bill.

http://m.kait8.com/kait8/db_330534/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=qWan4dh5

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's a term meaning the walmart executives don't want the bill.

http://m.kait8.com/kait8/db_330534/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=qWan4dh5
I'll take anyone as an ally in this fight, even Walmart.

edit: Is Indiana still considered a swing state?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 1, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: Is Indiana still considered a swing state?

Indiana has been a swing state one time in the past fifty years.

I think it is safe to consider '08 an anomoly.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

The thing I think you're missing here is that unlike things like systemic racism, incarceration rates and so on, things like lynching and exclusionary signs are Clear and Obvious signs of racism to even the most ignorant of folks.

The thing you are missing is that the proposal is that they put up those same exclusionary signs that are Clear and Obvious signs of bigotry even the most ignorant of folks and somehow thinking this clear and obvious sign will be different from that clear and obvious sign. Try reading the exchange before snarking

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RevKrule posted:

I just don't understand this. If the bill is just a reproduction of the federal law, why pass it anyway? Don't local laws just inherit the laws above them if there's nothing set?

If you want it in line with the federal version, why not just not pass it, then you're covered under the federal version?
The Federal RFRA only covers federal laws, state RFRAs are intended as an extension that cover state and local law.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So we have an exclusive on the "new" RFRA

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/01/indiana-rfra-deal-sets-limited-protections-for-lgbt/70766920/

Key points:

1) the bill was literally written by "business leaders". The Indiana senate went to them, had them outline what they wanted, wrote it, and then went back to let them vet the language. This is also with Pence describing himself as CEO of the state and the Republicans denouncing the bill on the grounds that it is governments job to help businesses and that they should have had "business leaders" write the bill the first time. So yeah, flat out channeling Mussolini.

2) offered protections to customers, none to employees, which was one of the big points made of the existing bill. I'm shocked that "business leaders" made a point to preserve their expanded power over employees, shocked I tell you.

3) does appear to drop a heavy protection against discrimination for customers on for profit businesses so that good

4) this is preliminary language, yet to be studied by lawyers, so we will see

5) the leak to the star could be an attempt to disrupt the change; we'll see how this shakes out because it still needs to pass committee, senate, house, and pence.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

The thing you are missing is that the proposal is that they put up those same exclusionary signs that are Clear and Obvious signs of bigotry even the most ignorant of folks and somehow thinking this clear and obvious sign will be different from that clear and obvious sign. Try reading the exchange before snarking

I'm not being snarky, I'm sorry I came across that way. I read the exchange, and I disagree. If the backlash is bad from simply announcing that one's small business is going to be bigoted, the backlash about having a sign will be worse. Such provisions actually prevented similar laws from being passed in Arizona, I believe.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

So we have an exclusive on the "new" RFRA

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/01/indiana-rfra-deal-sets-limited-protections-for-lgbt/70766920/

Key points:

1) the bill was literally written by "business leaders". The Indiana senate went to them, had them outline what they wanted, wrote it, and then went back to let them vet the language. This is also with Pence describing himself as CEO of the state and the Republicans denouncing the bill on the grounds that it is governments job to help businesses and that they should have had "business leaders" write the bill the first time. So yeah, flat out channeling Mussolini.

2) offered protections to customers, none to employees, which was one of the big points made of the existing bill. I'm shocked that "business leaders" made a point to preserve their expanded power over employees, shocked I tell you.

3) does appear to drop a heavy protection against discrimination for customers on for profit businesses so that good

4) this is preliminary language, yet to be studied by lawyers, so we will see

5) the leak to the star could be an attempt to disrupt the change; we'll see how this shakes out because it still needs to pass committee, senate, house, and pence.

That's funny considering the people who helped write the bill:

EDIT: I just noticed we're talking about the "New RFRA". My Mistake.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The writeup appears to suggest that only churches and other religious non-profits are allowed to discriminate but that businesses providing services used in religious ceremonies cannot discriminate. Since that's the reason the right is pushing these new RFRA bills, expect a violent backlash from the Tea Party if that's what the final language ends up being.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

That's funny considering the people who helped write the bill:

The new one is written by the "business leaders", the original version (the one in that picture) that is presently law was written by a social conservative bill mill with Eric Miller and the rest signing off on it before it went to the state GOP and got signed into law. Sorry if I was unclear there

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So in the end, it was definitely the business interests that made the difference and not the human rights interests. I guess I'm not surprised, but I hope people there remember that if they think about bragging about how they pulled it together to keep this law from happening.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

The writeup appears to suggest that only churches and other religious non-profits are allowed to discriminate but that businesses providing services used in religious ceremonies cannot discriminate. Since that's the reason the right is pushing these new RFRA bills, expect a violent backlash from the Tea Party if that's what the final language ends up being.

Yeah, and on top of that Steve Deace, the go-to-kiss-the-ring-grand-high-poobah of Iowa talk radio has declared that the Indiana RFRA should be a "litmus test" for the Iowa GOP primary.

poo poo is going to get nuts

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

The new one is written by the "business leaders", the original version (the one in that picture) that is presently law was written by a social conservative bill mill with Eric Miller and the rest signing off on it before it went to the state GOP and got signed into law. Sorry if I was unclear there

No no, you were clear, I didn't read it properly. :doh:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

So in the end, it was definitely the business interests that made the difference and not the human rights interests. I guess I'm not surprised, but I hope people there remember that if they think about bragging about how they pulled it together to keep this law from happening.

The indy Dems have been pushing the "it's all about business, listen to business" line so I don't think that will be an issue.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

God I hope a billion biggoted businesses speak out in support of the current bill before the wording is changed and their actions go back to being illegal. Its just ripe for so many life ending massive judgments the second they gently caress up after going on record like that, please please.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
The Cultural Warrior writer Rob Dreher of the American Conservative is practically calling for a boycott of Walmart for obvious reasons. You know I may disagree with his reasons, but his arguing that this is the final showing that business is not in any way concerned for "tradition" is quite right.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

No no, you were clear, I didn't read it properly. :doh:

No worries, I'm gonna use it to brings up the spin off of ALEC, ACCE, (which those shitheads are a part of) that generated the bill
http://www.ibj.com/articles/52347-secretive-bill-mill-gets-local-foothold

ACCE writes for smaller jurisdictions and pushes more of a social conservative edge. Plus ~*~rebranding~*~

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

The Cultural Warrior writer Rob Dreher of the American Conservative is practically calling for a boycott of Walmart for obvious reasons. You know I may disagree with his reasons, but his arguing that this is the final showing that business is not in any way concerned for "tradition" is quite right.
Wait, not ACTUALLY calling for a boycott? What good is that?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Samurai Sanders posted:

You didn't think human rights issues would have any impact on republican politicians did you?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Because I know some libertarianish people who will proclaim that this is proof that the free market winning out, I'm going to cut it off at the pass.

It's not a free market victory because a group of businesses legislated the government to do something, instead of running their own business their way.

I understand that the thought comes out of nowhere, but I just anticipate these sort of arguments these days.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I'd love for American conservatism to finally tear itself apart because of gay rights. It would be almost poetic.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

baw posted:

I'd love for American conservatism to finally tear itself apart because of gay rights. It would be almost poetic.

Conservatism will never die.

even if the libertarians take over the republican party, the religious right will not abandon them right away.

It is important to remember that mainstream american libertarians - including the pauls and every other libertarian who has ever accumulated any political power - are more federalist/neo-confederate than anything. If the party leadership goes ostensibly ~pro-gay~, it will be expressed as sticking up for the States' Rights of hippies in Vermont and Oregon, not as any kind of imperative to fight for the civil liberties of americans.

The religious right will gripe a bit but will ultimately be fine with the States' Rights line, as they will (accurately) interpret it as "we can still oppress the gays so long as we are able to take/maintain control over the state government", which they generally can in the states where they matter to begin with.

A genuine fragmenting of the republican coalition would likely require the party leadership to veer left on most-every social issue - gay rights, black rights, immigration, weed, criminal justice reform, abortion, religious tolerance - all at once, while avoiding repercussions during primary season.

The religious Right knows that the best way to move the needle in their direction is via primary, not abandoning the republican party and handing years worth of free victories to the democrats, who they hate.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 1, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

baw posted:

I don't think that is what will do it if Civil Rights for black people didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

baw posted:

It'll never happen. (Or course, I never though GOProud would disband, so what do I know?) :shrug:

• Locked thread