Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SubponticatePoster posted:

Typing is probably the single most useful course I took in school. Lots of jobs require wpm type testing. I'd say it's even more useful now since nobody writes anything and it's all done by keyboard.

Typing is fine, but I never took a computer course in HS, because it required a whole year of typing as a prerequisite and I don't think there was a way to test out. Knowing how to type as a programmer is nice, but design and logic are much more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

I'd just like a viable candidate for once that wasn't dogshit awful on criminal justice, but that's probably a pipe dream.

I think it'll be coming. Right now we're in the don't ask don't tell era of political conversation on the criminal justice system, I think. The prevailing acceptance of Law & Order forever, gently caress criminals is slowly being chipped at and discussed by the left, and enough of that discussion makes it through in softened form in the media.

Though, the fact that even given the huge steps that GSM rights have taken since the 90s, conservatives can bunker down in their own states and communities means that it'll likely be very uneven, and at risk.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

So some commentator was on TV here in Soviet Scandinavia and said that Hillary only had 14.7 % chance (he did not explain how he got that number) to win, while Jeb Bush was going was to win, after knocking out Rubio. As they have been saying less dumb poo poo than most of the republican clown brigade, are they the most likely candidates and will they be able to appeal to other voters after putting on clown makeup for teabaggers?

Bush is definitely the most likely candidate, and favorite (right now) of the mainstream backers. He is not as repugnant to the ravenous base as McCain or Romney (yet). That bodes well for his nomination.

However, the right are really overestimating how much Clinton is hated. They also assume the lefty base isn't going to go for Clinton or does not realize how loving dangerous to their goals a Republican president would be.

The actual candidates positions matter less than the political power situation, in my opinion. The right knows this is their one chance to roll back all of Obama's doings, and the left knows that too.

But, it's early, and things could happen. In 2006, we were all certain it'd be Condoleezza Rice vs Clinton.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Basically, this is not 2000, Obama has not been tarnished the way Bill Clinton was, and while Bush may still have moderate cover, the Republicans in Congress are not trusted.

They think it is, and hope they can sneak in like W.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

He did not specify much, nor did he say how he got that number, the only thing he pointed out was that after 8 years of a democratic president, it would be hard for a new democrat to take over. Then again, in our politics governments lose elections not because they have done anything directly wrong but because people believe it's time for change.

He's right there's usually a constant flip back and forth between Republicans and Democrats around a period of two terms, but it usually comes after the current president has screwed the pooch on a big enough stage to make the other party favorable. And it's not always exactly two terms.

They may hate Obama that much, but I'm not convinced everyone else does.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't figure out what Tea Party types/Christian conservatives think of them. Are they ok with them being literal Islamic extremists who just happen to be our allies, as long as they are good for business?

If it's the Republicans working with them, they are the enemy of our enemy and a sad but necessary ally. If it's Democrats, then they are just enemies that haven't backstabbed us yet.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

One of the most respected founders straight out believed that we would be having revolutions and civil wars every couple of decades. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

And this isn't some crazy we feel we've left in the past, he is on our money and has a major monument in our capital. (But so is Andrew Jackson, sooooo...).

Don't gently caress with Americans, we will kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Not to deny the bad poo poo that happened in WWII by America, but I think the really horrendous modern poo poo America did on the same level as Japan's happened over the post-war years usually done by the CIA in secret. Stuff that is probably still classified.

And when it comes to War on Terror poo poo compared to Cold War poo poo, we've got decades until it's seen fit to be mentioned as an aside on page 17.

There is plenty of denial, and while people who study history in college will know, anyone before, probably not.

• Locked thread