Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day:

~ Sheri's Ranch, to Senator Harry Reid. They also thank him for helping to pass Obamacare.

This is beautiful in so many ways.

quote:

As far as activities that we can offer attendees, many of your colleagues are intimately aware of our offerings, but we may have added new options since they last visited.

She's going to end up like that woman who ran a brothel in DC that shot herself after saying she'd name names isn't she :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Lotka Volterra posted:

Not what I said. Just pointing out a flaw in the idea that poor people wouldn't be poor if they just voted D.

To be fair he's not saying that either.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Remember when we were joking yesterday about Rastabama? Well....

https://vine.co/v/eBFb6e2uYna

This is the best thing.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I don't know why people think organizing would work in many parts of the country. Most people would probably be cool with reforms to help poor people as long as they are white, but the moment they realize it will help black people too they're going to balk and go back to a more conservative position. It's been that way for hundreds of years and it's not going to change. The whole "gently caress you got mine" thing cascades down no matter what tax bracket you're in. It's no different than wealthy southerners telling white trash "You may have nothing but the clothes on your back, but at least you aren't black" and having people cling to that. The only way I can see it working is in areas of the rust belt where people have been hosed over for two or more generations and the population is generally homogenous.

That being said, there's no reason people cannot organize for different or better candidates. If a bunch of loonies in Richmond can unseat Cantor with Dave Brat, that shows how powerful of a force it can be. Money wasn't a factor there. Cantor outspent him by a large margin. I just think that organizing for a candidate rather than a cause is a very different thing if you are going for one rather than the other. I was just thinking about all this the other day while driving back up from the southside in Richmond, and I could be 100% wrong though.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

g0del posted:

Or maybe he's just implying that all landlords are colluding with each other to keep rents as high as possible.

Most do, or most apartments in an area are all owned and managed by a small handful of companies who collude and work with one another to keep rents high. Same thing really.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

Every landlord would raise their rents to varying degrees, so maybe some tenants do move to other apartments but their costs still rise with their raises.

This is wrong. Despite incomes generally going down among people who rent, rents have been steadily increasing the last decade. It's not tied to how much people make at all. It just means people are falling into being severely cost burdened by their rent.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

And so therefore if incomes were to increase, rents would... buck the trend and NOT increase?

I'm saying it doesn't matter. They are going to increase no matter what, but at least an increase in income could offset that. Not doing anything because it might cause rent to rise is dumb because everyone is getting raped during the rises anyway.

edit: It doesn't loving matter. Rents are going up. An increase in earnings would not effect that any more than what's already going on. If people are going to be hosed either way, they should at least take the chance to get hosed less. Some places may not raise their rent as fast as others, and among those properties you have more people with disposable income that they could use for any number of things.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 16, 2015

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

He used rent as an example but the argument is that all you're doing is pumping out more money without actually solving any issues.

If the minimum wage gets increased, that could cause rises in the prices of all base goods, meaning your net disposable percentage of income remains relatively stable. However because of rising prices, the government would also need to raise spending for entitlement programs and aid, meaning those programs end up taking an even larger percentage of the budget. So all you end up doing is encouraging inflation and increasing the burden on the government without actually helping the people you're trying to help - A.K.A. throwing money at the problem rather than solving it at the source.

Alright. I'll bite. What's the solution then?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

quote:

A Rhode Island native educated at Phillips Academy and Brown University, Chafee worked as a professional farrier for seven years before entering state politics in 1985. This seven year period shoeing horses, during which he became the most sought after blacksmith in his village, made him the obvious choice for delegate to the Rhode Island State Constitutional Convention

Can you run for president if you grew up in skyrim?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Before clicking this thread I had assumed someone just disagreed with Fishmech, so it could be worse.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

They also don't say anything about endstate.

Our goal in Iraq and Afghanistan was regime change. A victorious outcome was a friendly, democratic government in those countries. That cannot be achieved through superior military force, and probably can't be achieved by any external pressure we can put on. Therefore we lost before we even started.

I think it was in Woodwards first book on the war from the perspective of the Bush administration, and everyone was just out of their loving minds as far as their expectations go. Everyone among the joint chiefs were like "this poo poo will not work are you insane" and most people in the administration just wouldn't hear about it. We might have had SOME luck without kicking baathists to the curb, but when wolfowitz was going "eh we can do it with like 10,000 troops no problem" we were hosed from the get-go. I don't think there was a step along the way where the US didn't squander any/all goodwill among Iraqis that could have helped smooth some things out somewhere.

The scary thing about the Iraq war to me wasn't that we basically curbstomped Saddam and their military because we knew we could do that, but that everyone (including many people in the military) knew how bad we were loving things up long before we ever set foot in that country and that the administration just didn't give a poo poo. They were so blindly enthusiastic in just knowing they'd get the outcome of their dreams that they didn't plan for any contingencies. They did everything wrong.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

They're not a stablizing influence in the region; they don't seem to actually HELP us in our regional actions; and the intelligence relationship appears rocky. What am I missing, aside from the $3 bilion annual in foreign aid being a thinly veiled MIC payout? Oh, and them not being Brown People.

They aren't Muslim.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Not only 'no', but 'hell no'." ~ Harry Reid, on whether he'll support fast-track authority for the TPA.

You don't even need to do the "sunglasses drop down" deal with it gif. It's already done.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

Or the fact that liberals skewered Romney for "changing his mind" on things and didn't bother to listen to logically sound and consistent thought processes.

:ironicat:

What exactly would those be?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Obama allowed the rise of ISIS out of fear of commitment, and only intervened when threatened with the imminent occurance of a second Benghazi, an act which most assuredly would have resulted in his impeachment.

What are you talking about

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Of course, this only applies to white people. Black people who fight back against government and police oppression are merely unemployed thugs who need to pull up their pants and learn their place.

I will never understand this. It shows how transparently racist so many self professed libertarians are if they cannot acknowledge that there are people right here and now that are being oppressed by "the state". It's unfolding right in front of them and for all their talk about government never taking their guns or how they want to call for revolution, the poo poo hits the fan and they don't say a word. Every single one of these gadsden flag waving motherfuckers should be called out as cowards at every opportunity, or racists for dismissing the concerns coming out of predominantly black areas of the country. gently caress these people.

If the gun rights advocates were pushing really hard in urban communities for increased gun ownership the same way they glorify it out in more rural areas I might have some small amount of respect since they're treating everyone equally, but they don't. When conversations pop up about how gun owners aren't bad people and guns don't kill people, nobody ever suggests going out of their way to arm black dudes in major metropolitan areas. Nobody ever rattles that off as a solution to inner city violence, or protection against government tyranny, or whatever it is they fantasize about. So loving shameful.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

As a white man who grew up in a wealthy suburb, I'll have you know that I don't see race. Despite some suboptimal choices in my life, I'm currently enjoying an upper middle class lifestyle. Right now that means living in a nice apartment downtown but since I'm not rich, when I buy property I'll probably have to go outside the city to somewhere cheaper. I made it happen, so I don't see how other people can't. I'm guessing it is either because of personal failings or maybe something bigger. I'm not a racist, so it is probably a cultural difference.

What is so hard to understand about that?

I see your point, but that doesn't make it any less depressing.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

UberJew posted:

This nation was founded on the principle of government by white men of property, for white men of property. Is it any surprise that those who worship the founding principles of the United States only care about white men of property?

Then they should come right the gently caress out and say it. Carl Stokes had it right but these assholes don't have the balls to admit it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

On the other hand, I don't think anyone in Baltimore or Ferguson wants gadsden flag waving open carrying motherfuckers to be at their protests.

I don't either. I guess I'm just venting because the hypocrisy is out in the open. It would be interesting to see those guys openly lobbying for young black guys to own fire arms for self defense. They say it will lead to lower violent crime rates so why not? I mean, if they really believe what they say then they should do what they can to arm every law abiding citizen everywhere yet that never happens.

Yes I understand it's fully obvious why they choose not to do that. I do wonder though what would happen if they did. I can't imagine every single tea party "patriot" is a closet racist. I feel, and I could be wrong, that a lot of those people think arming every day people is good for everyone. If they fully believed that, what would happen if they pushed for that in cities as well as far as what everyone in that group thought? What about a concerted effort by the NRA to get law abiding minorities guns in metro areas that allow it. How many people would balk and how many would go along with it because they honestly believe that's what it takes.

Again, I know it sounds crazy and I know it would never ever happen, but it's interesting to think about (to me).

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

McAlister posted:

I don't think anyone supports arming anyone. Arming people costs money. I've never met a gun advocate who is interested in parting with money to arm someone other than themselves or a personal friend.

/Shrug

I don't mean starting a gun charity. I mean advocating for gun ownership in cities.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

is just a plain statement of ignorance with regard to that club's existence.

I wasn't referring to them. I was referring to groups that are predominantly white and are operating at a national level.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Serious diplomacy, not macho personal smear, is what we need. Congrats on Ur new born. May U and Ur family enjoy him in peace." ~ Javad Zarif, Foreign Minister of the Islamic Republic of Iran, to Senator Tom Cotton.

Senator Cotton yesterday challenged Zarif to debate him on the US Constitution.

He went after him following that as well. It's pretty funny how these "extremists" in Iran always seem to be the adult in the room as one person said when dealing with him.

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/593522940928372737

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Nonsense posted:

The United States owes several red-states to Native Americans.

Let's make this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Well other than "be black" what exactly has Obama done to increase tensions? Nobody ever gets specific :iiam:

• Locked thread