Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RevKrule posted:

I just don't understand this. If the bill is just a reproduction of the federal law, why pass it anyway? Don't local laws just inherit the laws above them if there's nothing set?

If you want it in line with the federal version, why not just not pass it, then you're covered under the federal version?

Yes, I understand this was a straight up hate bill the backfired magnificently in their faces

Actually, it does kind of make sense. The federal law can be later changed to be even more liberal-friendly; if the state has their own law, it helps them lock things into place to slow down later advancement. Possibly delay things several years when it comes to it down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

To veer away from the thrilling saga of Beanghazi: Thanks to people staring to declare, my workplace is filling up again with politics talk - the fun of being the liberal in an industry full of right wingers - and something came up in a discussion about ISIS that I veered away from for personal safety (I like being employed). But it has been bugging me since: it's a drat common talking point about Israel being the US' greatest and most loyal ally in the Middle East, but I'm stumped as to what they've actually done to earn that title.

Near as I can tell we don't and haven't used their facilities/territory (aside from apparently the 6th Fleet occasionally docking at Haifa) for staging or operating, and they haven't actually given us support in any of the like four wars and dozens of police actions/anti-terror strikes we've done in the region lately. About all I can find is that they buy a lot of our weapons and we 'share intelligence' - which doesn't really strike me as particularly earning the supposed closeness of the relationship. (Particularly since even a cursory search pulls up a number of intelligence-related incidents to put the whole sharing thing into poor light.)

They're not a stablizing influence in the region; they don't seem to actually HELP us in our regional actions; and the intelligence relationship appears rocky. What am I missing, aside from the $3 bilion annual in foreign aid being a thinly veiled MIC payout? Oh, and them not being Brown People.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Okay, so it is basically Brown People, got it. The way it gets talked about it seemed like there was some big benefit that I was missing.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Job Truniht posted:

Anyone who at any point voted for the Iraq War should be barred from being POTU. She became Secretary of State to boost her foreign policy record, but there's nothing indicative that she did any of a better job than Kerry did, nor come off as being nothing but more hawkish.

Anyone should be skeptical unless she swears up and down to continue Obama's policies on Iran, Cuba, and Israel.

The alternatives will have us bombing Iran within a month of taking office, full stop. This is not the time for whining about someone not being perfect.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Zwabu posted:

I think it's a promising sign. The cynic in me can't help but think maybe it's just a tactical move to prevent any challenger from the left from building up any steam before they even get started.

Why would she be afraid of that? At this point she doesn't have any kind of a legitimate threat. There's not even a whole lot for her to try and head off - O'Malley might try running to her left, but he's got nowhere near the support or charisma to be a serious problem unless Hillary massively fucks up. There's little to nothing for her to gain by pandering.

• Locked thread