Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Quidam Viator posted:

The idea is that if each crab, instead of panicking and trying to be on top, worked together to create a unified crab initiative, that they could all be theoretically pulled out of the bucket through unity. That would require many things: the ability for the crab to overcome the natural pressures of the danger it feels, the artificial threats created by the crabmonger, and the contagious panic of the other crabs.

I like the metaphor because it can be extended. In this case, imagine the crabmonger is the person who's put you into this pot: an oligarch. They can pick you up, push you down, and their goal is to eat you. The person in control only needs to stimulate your natural panic reflexes to get you to fight the other crabs in desperation, and stay trapped. I believe the metaphor is illustrative because it makes an absolutist claim about human behavior, and the cornerstone of human behavior is adaptability.

Let's go back to being metaphorical: even if I admit the impossibility of each of your scenarios above, I can come up with more. They don't need to team up to overpower the crabmonger. Why fight against your opponent's strength. The crabs could cling together with the fiercest pinchers at top, draw attention and bite the poo poo out of the hand. Now the crabmonger is panicked. Now the bucket has been overturned, or perhaps accidentally thrown back in the water. All of the crabs can freeze, and act like they're dead. Now the crabmonger is worried that he's killed the crabs he intends to eat, and now HE's panicking again.

My problem with the people in this thread is that they genuinely believe that we are behaviorally crab-like; that we lack the ability to think outside the bucket, and that any nonconformist ideas should be met with pinching and grabbing. I fiercely believe that there are unpredictable, wild, massively risky techniques that we can attempt as humans to escape the certain death we face if we simply keep on crabbin.

I dream of a carefully planned crab offensive that throws the human being rear end crabmonger out of the boat, opens up the bait bucket, and gives us control of the helm. Because we're HUMAN loving BEINGS. We build pyramids and write relativistic physics, and build Saturn V rockets. Just because you've always been told that human beings cannot unite, will always factionalize and kill each other, even unto their own extinction does not make it true. We are NOT crabs, and it's time to stop acting like crab-rear end dipshits.

this is me with my cable company/internets provider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Not sure how happy I am about Hillary Clinton almost being unopposed as the Democrat presidential nominee. I mean, I honestly don’t think I want to vote for her. Just gotta see if the Republicans get a reasonable nominee. Otherwise, I’ll probably vote for an independent candidate.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Help Bernie out. Ignore people pretending he only serves white interests. He's no Jim Webb.

i'd vote a Bernie.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

so far they ones announced for president i think hillary is the only one able to complete a plyometric cardio circuit, and that's a plus for me.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

rand paul would cry and bitch out. that little bitxh.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I just really dont buy into this argument that things will get worse with republicans and we should vote for hillary. why are people so afraid to do the work our communities need? like organizing locally? organizing with the poor? listening and learning from peoples stories? doing more community empowerment? how are these things more difficult than dealing with the repercussions of being further recognized and included into a liberal state

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

america is easy to please

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

whoa

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Hey americans think carefully about which opportunistic imperialist scumbag masquerading as a member of your interest group you’ll choose next to lead your country!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nonsense posted:

I remember liking the cheese enchiladas served, so very fake-cheesy!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

hey thanks for posting a single line from a loving article I posted last page

i got distracted by the hotdish

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Joementum posted:

Sorry man, you posted that while I was writing up the exciting hotdish news, so I missed it. No hard feelings.

WHat a cool white dude (very rare).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

zoux posted:

This is why it's pointless to argue with people. Lady was tweeting fake racist looting photos and:

something something newsbusters

• Locked thread