Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Hello USPol, I have a question that might seem a bit odd, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask it, as goons basically know everything.

How does a foreign national (In this case me, a Brit) send a letter to an ex-President? I mean literally, where do I send it? Also how do you address them? Mr ex-President? Mr Surname? I don't want to get droned y'know.

Who are you writing to and what about, might I ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JT Jag posted:

Subsidized weapon purchases for every adult American (you can get away with not owning your own gun until 26 under your parents' coverage)

The NRA would hate it

The NRA is run more by the gun lobby than by racists, so they'd love it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How old are you guys? Because I'm 21 and some of the ideas for high school reform getting thrown around are among the worst ideas I've ever seen. Making teenagers stay another couple hours at school would be more harmful overall than teaching creationism as a fact.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fried Chicken posted:

I think its known as Herge's Direction theory. It is a narrative/visual thing, usually pops up in film and photography (and comics). Going left to right is advancing, right to left is retreat. When entering a scene (and particularly when confronting each other) protagonists enter from and will be on the left, antagonists from and on the right (example given tadaa). Someone from Cine Distro can probably explain better, but this is what they teach in visual composition classes apparently, so graphics design people do it too. And given how common it is, apparently it works.

Personally, i think it looks like it should be the logo for Houston's mass transit system

It's because English speakers read left to right, so they're accustomed to following images in that direction. If Hillary had an arrow pointing left, it would seem to be moving in the opposite direction from progress.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rincewinds posted:

So some commentator was on TV here in Soviet Scandinavia and said that Hillary only had 14.7 % chance (he did not explain how he got that number) to win, while Jeb Bush was going was to win, after knocking out Rubio. As they have been saying less dumb poo poo than most of the republican clown brigade, are they the most likely candidates and will they be able to appeal to other voters after putting on clown makeup for teabaggers?

Hillary will win if we maintain status quo for two years, or if things get only somewhat worse domestically and internationally. For her to lose would require a big economic downturn, Iran proving Mossad wrong and getting a nuclear bomb, or Hillary having a health problem. I have no idea how someone could give her that low a chance, did the commentator even say why he thinks she's not the favourite?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

foobardog posted:

He's right there's usually a constant flip back and forth between Republicans and Democrats around a period of two terms, but it usually comes after the current president has screwed the pooch on a big enough stage to make the other party favorable. And it's not always exactly two terms.

They may hate Obama that much, but I'm not convinced everyone else does.

Over the whole history of U.S. elections, a party winning exactly two consecutive terms has happened 8 times. A party winning just one election before losing again has also happened 8 times, 3 or 4 consecutive terms twice each, and 6 or 7 consecutive terms once each. Certainly a noteworthy historical trend, but a look at the current candidates makes me still think Clinton is the favourite.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Brannock posted:

Something as paltry as doubling NASA funding would do wonders, but you heard it guys -- we can only choose between empty "help the poor" platitudes and actually ensuring that the species has a future instead of dying out impotently on Earth. It's not like the last space race had enormous technological breakthroughs that benefited life across all social strata or provided thousands of jobs!

Bases on the Moon and perhaps Mars, extending the ISS program, getting out several more space stations are all very well within our reach right now, and would do an enormous amount for our security as a species. Looking at a fictional story and going "Well that's impossible" is myopic to the extreme, though I'm not surprised you've resorted to yet another strawman to dismiss an idea. Star Wars fantasy? Really now?

We don't have a functional government because American society only exists right now to make people richer or enabling them to die trying to become rich. There's no societal goal whatsoever, why do you think people as a whole are apathetic about the utter destruction of American education or the crumbling infrastructure? Like this is a problem that runs through all spheres of American society, right up to our governance. Everyone in charge is busy trying to either tear down regulations or siphon money out of it because we barely have any idea what we should be doing other than a nebulous idea of "Make things better!" which clearly can be interpreted in a lot of ways that we'd rather it not be interpreted. There's no sense of unity or collective effort just an endless stream of "gently caress you got mine" or "gently caress you we want ours!" no matter how badly it'd affect everyone else.

The moon is far less hospitable to human life than the most arid part of the Sahara Desert. Mars is less hospitable than the coldest part of Antarctica. The space program was good because of the high payoffs in technology and jobs, but talking about it as a way to help humanity survive a catastrophe within the next 100 years is absurd. If there's a crisis on Earth serious enough to threaten middle-class American food security, I guarantee that they'll stop bothering to import desperately needed food and other supplies to the moon.

There are no plausible scenarios that would lead to the extinction of humanity. At worst, climate change could destroy so many ecosystems that it would drastically decrease Earth's carrying capacity, killing billions and returning society to a pre-industrial level, but the species would survive. There's no scenario where a moon base is somehow the thing that saves us from extinction.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Munkeymon posted:

I have an idea what both sides of this debate can agree on: a fleet of tiny mirrors that prevent some tiny percentage of sunlight from reaching the planet.

There, you're welcome.

That would have to be a shitload of mirrors, actually. And because space doesn't leave an efficient way to conduct away heat, over time they would heat up and start emitting heat towards Earth unless they were almost perfectly reflective.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Brannock posted:

I think you're still framing this in a short-term view. Even a century is still short-term compared to the sheer impact of actually getting a foothold out in space on human history from thereon. I'd rather not go down in history as a member of a scant few generations that had the stars within our grasp and passed up on it. No, the first steps of space colonization won't prevent or ameliorate an extinction-level event, the point is that it's actually making progress towards something that would. There are no plausible short-term events that would extinguish humanity, but if we remain on Earth forever then the chances of one happening approaches certainty.

I'm not saying we should never colonize space, I'm saying it's not a priority now, and there's no scenario where a move into space colonization now ends up saving us from extinction. Of course, I still think NASA should be expanded because of the great work it does in technology and science.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

hobbesmaster posted:

The main problem I see is researching fusion power and organic super lubricants.

Is an organic super lubricant anything other than a sex joke?

Zeitgueist posted:

I don't know that anyone was saying either of those things. :eng101:

Yeah, the prevailing opinions here are "Increase NASA funding by a lot" vs. "Increase NASA funding even more than that".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yep, all of those are good things. The F-35 fighter is $173 billion over budget, and the government has been making deep cuts to scientific research for years.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Swan Oat posted:

Happy page 88 everyone, hail Hitler!

Back in '08 we had yearly megathreads that went right through page 1488 easily.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Anyone notice that 5dimes lists the Republican National Convention and Democratic National Convention as happening in July of 2015? Do they know something we don't?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Axetrain posted:

I'm pretty sure BoostedC5 is still here as poster Chris Christie. He was pretty tolerable even if he still held alot of the dumb Republican views but at least he was polite and didn't appear to be aggressively bigoted. The others got wiped out by the Romney tox thread (which hilariously took out alot of liberals as well who couldn't resist the honeypot). But if you go back to pre-2008 it was way more right wing in here. I think the financial explosion in 2007-8 is what woke alot of people, that plus the great LF exodus/migration and everyone getting swept in Obamamania thinking he was going to be some sort of progressive messiah.

Also, a lot of people got swept up in RONPAUL RONPAUL RONPAUL and LF started relentlessly mocking them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Riptor posted:

yes but none who can get elected

Are there any poll numbers matching Bernie Sanders against various Republican candidates?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Domestic"
"Canada"

There are two kinds of oil: Overseas, and domestic.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

hey thanks for posting a single line from a loving article I posted last page

Do you know the meaning of the words "Quote of the day"?

I was wondering what the living expenses would be in that part of the country, and apparently average rent in Washington DC is $1881, which is not San Francisco bad but still pretty loving bad.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

And yes, I don't think Hillary would be trustworthy enough to win the D primary. Far better for her campaign to implode from a well-heeled Illinois grassroots campaign.

After the primary, yeah, vote whoever the D nominee is. During the primary fight? Rahm's the man we need as President, even if he ain't the man this thread likes.

You think Rahm is more trustworthy than Hillary? The average American doesn't know who Rahm is, and he's not capable of making a positive first impression.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CommieGIR posted:

Its so loving creepy.

States are allowed to form state defence forces. Texas is one of 23 states that does.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ZobarStyl posted:

It's depressing that this won't even show up outside of wonky blogs rather than being the campaign sinking gaffe it should be.

Jesus loving Christ. I had to look up his name, but I recognized the title of his infamous book The Bell Curve. That's the one where he argues that black people tend to be poor because they're genetically inferior to whites.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Xibanya posted:

Just wait until they start talking about female brain mass. And...black female brain mass. :ohdear: on a pedantic note, isn't the only racial "disadvantage" black people have is that they have a higher than average chance of being born with sickle cell anemia? A slightly worse racial handicap than Asian lactose intolerance, admittedly...

Also higher risk of vitamin D deficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I hope one day we can all just laugh about all these little differences from a position of equals in society.

Agreed. The little genetic differences are nothing compared to the fact that black people are much less likely to have access to quality medical care.

• Locked thread