Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh man, internet death threats. That's a serious thing and definitely not something that has happened to literally every single person on the internet.

Edit: this is too sarcastic but I'm always wary about internet death threats as a sign of "someone has gone too far". I get death threats when I beat people in Street Fighter or post my opinions on Twitter, it's just a rather repugnant outcome of internet anonymity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I presume they stopped taking take-out and delivery orders pretty quick.

Might accidentally deliver to a gay.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

If the past several months have been a push against it being done to "your side" you drat well don't get to do it to "their side" Actions are either right or they are wrong, they don't magically become ok because you are the one doing it, and the belief they do is one of the major reasons why the world is in the shape it is.

http://www.nuvo.net/FoodDrinkBlog/archives/2015/04/01/restaurant-owners-freeze-out-mister-ice

Death threats are wrong, you'll note I said that they're a repugnant outcome of internet anonymity. But complaining about them or using them as a sign of either sides moral depravity is silly, because you can fire off a death threat in ten seconds and there's no accountability.

Now when people start doxxing others or posting pictures of people's houses, then things have devolved into the "totally hosed" range.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I would be embarrassed to call Walker my president, because he's such a goon. Seriously that droopy mother fucker would embarrass us with his face alone

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Quidam Viator posted:

No, I left last time when someone asked me to, out of courtesy. I did formally post a toxx if anyone can convince me of a better way to undo the total dominance of the American Right in a better way than accelerationism, but nobody's taken me up on that one.

Would you like me to leave again?

Yes please. Your posts are insane, long narcissistic garbage founded on a dumb principle (accelerationism), which is something that well off white people tell themselves will totally work because, uh, um

I look forward to your 15000 word post in response to this.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

zoux posted:

While he's an obnoxious chicken little, I get why QV is so hysterical about the state of American politics, because I can't really see a way the status quo evolves back into a workable system without some sort of catastrophe. Between the nature of campaigning for national office and the way that political communications are done and the polarization of the electorate, I don't know how we get to a point where governing is possible.

Electing a white guy again?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Venom Snake you're deliberately misinterpreting Zoux's posts, and Lord knows we don't need anymore of that. He understands where QV's bullshit stems from, he didn't take it seriously or agree with any of it

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

sillyloquy posted:

I don't consider myself an accelerationist but the only argument I've heard against it that really jived me with was (paraphrasing from this thread) If catastrophe is inevitable it will be better to have someone like Hillary at the helm when it happens than someone like Walker, and by keeping the presidency. in the dems hands increases the likelihood of that happening.

I don't understand how an anti-accelerationist can be so completely convinced that their prediction of the future is correct. How do you know for sure which outcome will lead to a smaller amount of future suffering? Sometimes the counter-intuitive answer is more correct. I don't think it is in this case, but if you don't recognize that fact your argument will never resonate with someone like me or QV.

If you believe that catastrophe lies ahead, the feeling of needing to propose something ambitious can be overwhelming. making GBS threads on the whole premise of being ambitious and telling someone to leave the thread doesn't help. Repeating that the only thing to do is barely do anything because it will be less bad maybe doesn't help.

Maybe there's no way to talk about it constructively because we're hosed and there's nothing we can do about it. But without being able to know that for sure, the arrogance in some of the arguments is hard to swallow.

If we're hosed and there's nothing to do, why would you want to get to the "we're hosed state" any faster.

Accelerationism is, to my black mind, something disaffected and well off white people tell themselves because they're depressed

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

zoux posted:

What if you had a pile of money so large it reached to Mars?

You would be the Koch brothers

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

tabris posted:

The Democratic candidate is subpar this year and DnD immediately sinks into despair about the extinction of the human species? Jesus-loving-christ.

DnD is always teetering at the brink of apocalyptic thought, it's quite tiring

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

There are just all these great jobs available, but unfortunately no one is trained to do them! Literally an overflowing job market out there.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

drakegrim posted:

haven't you ever heard of black privilege? the ability to say and do anything one wants because of their color.

Example: Im pissed that a 19 your old man got shoot, so i'm going to loot this Wig store and aint poo poo nobody can do about it cause im black

Are you typing with a head wound?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

drakegrim posted:

Min wage is a way to create incentive's for individuals to pick them selves up and do something better... your telling me that a McDonald worker has the right to earn more money then the city trash collector, EMT's, Nurses, etc????

Are you drunk? Are you okay?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Amergin posted:

All history while you quietly ignore the quotes of present day racism.

I dunno man that list has stuff from like 1984

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

drakegrim posted:

it does, but its still racist regardless of the date.

Actually nope, Amergin just said that racism in the past doesn't count. We can only talk about present day racism, because the incredibly racist legacies of actions and parties don't count.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Radish posted:

I wonder how many white people outraged over anti-white racism have actually been called a cracker.

I call my white friend a cracker jokingly from time to time, and we laugh, but he would never ever call me a friend of the family because I'd rightly beat his rear end.

It's impossible to hurt someone's feelings by calling them a cracker, it's just too silly.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

mdemone posted:

It's almost as if bigotry draws its strength solely from institutionalized and culturally-entrenched racism. I wonder if anyone has ever had this thought before.

According to a distressingly high number of people I've met, no.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

drakegrim posted:

i think of it as we are all hosed equally and its all about class now. Al sharpton has poo poo over his own people by selling out to Comcast by taking alot of money to not talk about racism in Comcast, and same with whites taking money from low middle class for investments and loosing all their money for their own greed.

And you'd be wrong. Poor black people still get crappier deals than poor white people. And now as a black man I'm going to use my black privilege to shut down this conversation. Cease this line of thought before I summon Sharpton to call you a racist!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Periodiko posted:

She's a loving grandmother, jesus christ.

I guess that's the answer of how the Democrats overcome ambivalence about Hillary Clinton as an establishment figure: wait for low-level Republicans to be so tacky and offensive to liberal and conservative social standards that people feel the need to treat her as an underdog in need of defense.

I mean that's pretty much what happened with Obama during his first term.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Yes, because people who believe the things he said don't exist. Yep, they are merely figments of liberal imagination. They certainly don't vote, either, and absolutely have not filled both houses of Congress with shitheel Republicans.

But you can't really practice against someone who is deliberately posting stupid poo poo. Either the person you're training for is more reasonable than the troll, meaning that your training only against the "opening statements", or the person you're arguing against is equally as disingenuous as the troll, meaning you'll accomplish nothing in the long run

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yes, people enjoy debating and discussing in the Debate and Discussion sub forum

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

But ten dollars isn't a livable wage. Surely we can agree that, no matter how "easy" a person's job is, they still deserve a living wage right?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I was just laughing at him calling Hillary a liberal champion.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I was going to say that, but there is a vocal enough minority who might view that as bad news because it wasn't single-payer that I had to go a little further back.

To be fair those posters are never happy, ever, and must logically be huge alcoholics or something to explain how they survive in a world of ever encroaching darkness

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Racism gets worse in times of economic uncertainty and hardship.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Every ten pages or so fish mech's programming goes totally gently caress up

"Keep whining about how demanding facts is mean. St Louis is small as gently caress and you know it is."

This will be on his tombstone

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is going on? I still haven't heard word one about any justification the Baltimore PD has given for Freddie Gray's death.

If I had to guess it would probably be "he got what he deserved!" And then maybe the sound of a gun being fired into the air. At this point I'm no longer shocked by cops and their brazen attitudes, just very scared for me and my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Kill all white people, drat.

• Locked thread