Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

CommieGIR posted:

Seriously, just add an amendment to the law that requires business who wish to discriminate to have a sign.

And watch them burn to the ground.

Hopefully literally. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

His Purple Majesty posted:

You're implying that businesses that explicitly discriminate would fold when I think that the opposite would happen. Remember chik fil a?

Chik Fil A managed because they had a fig leaf of using profit any way they liked. They weren't banning anyone from their service. Putting up a "No Gays" sign? That likely would have gone really differently. Sure, the same kind of hicks would have been all over it, but then they're out in public with their bigotry. Name and shame. Destroy all credibility of open racists or homophobes in polite society.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

The majority of liberal white people still don't really like black people, it's just that they realize you can't treat them like second class citizens. I mean really, how many liberal white people that you know would be totally cool living in a black neighborhood, or having a black family move in next to them?

Most liberal white people are cool with the gays though so it's way less of an issue.

The former? probably not very many. I'd be wary of moving to a place where the vast majority of people don't look/talk like I do. I'd worry that they'd think I was some kind of gentrifier or worse. I'd worry they'd hate me for being white. I would however, move to a black neighborhood one hell of a lot quicker than one where I don't speak the language, regardless of color. I don't like being an outsider. Nobody does.

The latter? Probably most would be fine. I was happy to see my neighbors when I moved in a few doors down to a black family, as they're nice as hell. Granted, that may be because they are near my age and their kids are still kids, instead of teenagers. Because most teenagers of any race are assholes.

Black families who move into white neighborhoods? That takes a lot of will, and a lot of guts. I don't envy them that experience.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's way easier to see black people as "others" no matter what your political leanings are than it is to see gays as "others".

Are you trying to say that African-American culture and neighborhoods aren't different than white neighborhoods? Because I don't agree. I would not fit into a black neighborhood without serious time and investment. Ditto for a neighborhood of immigrants or a gated white community.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Agreed. I don't have enough time in the day to both work and attend the various block parties, pick up basketball games, and break dance competitions

I assume you don't attend HOA meetings, church fundraisers, etc. in your area? No need to be racist man, it's stressful meeting and relating to new people who you don't have a lot in common with.

And everyone has block parties. That's not a race thing man. Block parties are awesome because potlucks are awesome.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Just ignore all your neighbors.

This is the reason that America is a reactionary shithole, and the 24 hour news cycle caused it.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Memories Pizza has been receiving death, arson, and bomb threats all day and is presently saying they may never open again, thus reminding us all that the real ideology of internet activists is "it's ok when I do it"

*Cue Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka* "No. Stop. Don't."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

How about a class on game theory taught by Henry Kissinger? It'd consist solely of games of Diplomacy.

God that would be amazing.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

build special grocery stores for poors, stock only with hardtack, fatback and grog.

GROG!? Tha poors shouldn't be able to buy liquor on mah dime!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Ah yes, EBT is the price we pay the masses to keep them in check :rolleyes:

EBT is the opiate of the masses!

It's one of the prices, yes. If there were no assistance, people would starve and die by the thousands in this country. And before that, there would be food riots.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh man would this be such a clusterfuck. So many wives/husbands would be dead within a month.

Ouch man, you're not supposed to laugh about it.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

zoux posted:

I mean his partner was standing right there and watched him drop the Taser.

Sounds like accessory to murder to me.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

MCSO leadership is so rotten that there is not much one can do besides beating Arpaio in a run for the Sheriff.

With a bat.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

Republicans are united by a common hatred? :allears:

Republicans are united by a desire for efficiency, autonomy and morality. Democrats are united by the same thing, they just see different paths to those end goals.

Not really, Goldwater Republicans are gone. They've been replaced by idiots who will shout the loudest about Obama during the primaries.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

You still keep using this word "hate" as though it's just an agreed-upon and accepted fact. Republicans don't just want to get rid of things, and the things they want to get rid of tend to be things they think are unconstitutional rather than they simply "hate" it.

It's easy to belittle a large group of people if in your mind you boil their complex thought processes to "Oh you just hate X" probably followed-up in your pretentious mind with "... because you're too ignorant to see why X is good."

Progressivism is constantly trying to throw things at problems, usually money. Conservatism is thinking twice before you throw those things and trying to find out exactly who is throwing what for how much cost and at whom. There's no hate involved other than what you dream up to help you validate your own political convictions.

Foreign policy and diplomatic endeavors to mend relations with hostile governments are not unconstitutional, and Republicans are fully aware of it. It has nothing to do with their particular ignorance, it has to do with the votes that they believe said positions will gain them.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Who What Now posted:

When has a republican ever been moral?

Roosevelt.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Oh no they only go to the ones with $2 margarita specials and lots of cheese on everything.

The ones with the giant jukebox that only plays narcocorridos at 110dB and where cabeza and lengua are meat options they stay far away from.

Cheese is delicious. :colbert:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Who's the Oompa Loompa in that picture?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Radbot posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand how the powers that be have been able to keep Americans friendly towards Saudi Arabia when they're the source of so much Islamic terrorism - they seem like such an easy target, and yet it's never suggested by anyone that we cut ties with them. It verges on conspiracy.

Nobody will survive an election (nor will their party) for raising gas prices to a massive degree, and all the add-on effects that would have. Saudi Arabia is going to have a very bad ever after the moment that something aside from oil becomes more cost efficient.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Radbot posted:

So we'd all rather suck Saudi dick than try to move to domestic energy sources. OK then, I can see why Americans would want to do that (they're very stupid).

Yes, the average American is completely unable and unwilling to think beyond their back yard. On the other hand, a huge amount of Americans near the poverty line couldn't possibly afford the cost of living if such a price increase were to happen.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

I can't believe I'm responding to you but the alternatives include initiating a domestic alternative energy "Manhattan Project" and letting the Mideast devolve into the barbaric chaos they seem to want to practice without our interference. If the Chinese or Russians or Australians or Canadians think the stability of the region is that important, they can deal with it. We can even sell them the planes and bombs. And if they don't think it is, we can sell them our cutting edge alternative energy technology.

Unfortunately leaving the region alone entirely wouldn't be in our interest. We definitely had a hand in creating various monsters there, and if they're given free reign to run amok, will likely result in further terror attacks world wide.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

(also since when does "anti-piracy" not involve shooting/blowing up Somalians and Malaysians)

Protecting people from said Somalians and Malaysians is a good use of force.

• Locked thread