Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I posted this in the last thread but it was buried under a sea of dorks telling boring 9/11 stories.

Koch brothers caught impersonating randos in order to make it seem like more people hate net neutrality than actually exist:

quote:

Many of the critical statements from American Commitment's past email petitions began arriving in lawmakers' inboxes en masse earlier this month. To solicit support, the group used display ads that asked visitors to sound off against the FCC's net neutrality rules. Those messages were then delivered March 5-10 in the House and March 8-15 in the Senate, according to Kerpen.

All of those messages -- mostly pre-written by American Commitment -- slammed the FCC for treating the Internet like a public utility. Some of the emails called on Congress to "pass language in an upcoming must-pass vehicle that blocks any move by the FCC" to continue down its path. Another derided net neutrality supporters as "extremists." A third criticized Obama for having "publicly instructed the FCC, which is supposed to be an independent agency, to reduce the Internet to a government-controlled utility."

Speier's office noted the similar emails and then calculated that about 98 percent of the messages had come from constituents that her office had never heard from before. The congresswoman's team set about trying to reply to some senders, and a few of the constituents replied that they had never signed up to send emails criticizing net neutrality.
http://politi.co/1GdSMh7

You can bet this has happened before and they haven't been caught, and you can bet this will happen again. You can also bet that this will never become a major news story and will slowly slide into the memory hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

duz posted:

Not linking to the full post in the March thread since it's locked and won't let me, but re: this

It's the usual thing of the city/state wanting taxi companies to follow the law, but with the added twist of the banks pressuring the politicians to enforce the law for $$$ reasons and Uber spamming out a form letter for its users. This is the response a tired intern makes to one of those form letters, nothing malicious.

What's annoying is most stories covering this have buried the lede in favor of "look at the rude response he sent!" I mean, that looks like a cheeky automated out of the office response to me. Watch people cry about the death of civility and ignore the undue influence money has on decision-making.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

mcmagic posted:

20 years. This is loving infuriating.

What's most infuriating is that any woman can miscarry, but they clearly believe that this simply doesn't happen to "good people." If they did, they would be afraid of losing their wives and daughters. Of course, ignorance of female biology doesn't surprise me. This is from the party that brought you that rear end in a top hat who thought you could observe a woman's uterus by having her swallow a camera.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Funny how "hey, X, stop complaining - they treat X way worse elsewhere" seems to reinforce existing power structures.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
But do they have bee???

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
This kinda reminds me of how so few people understand how our tax system works, to the point that I've heard people say "I always have the maximum amount of income taxes taken out of my paycheck because I like getting a big refund!"

Just put in the number the W-4/your accountant tells you, you goofs. You should get as much money as you can as you earn it.

Even the Austrians got this right. I remember because one of my profs was a lolbertarian and I had to write a long-rear end essay on Bohm-Bawerk for his class...

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Wow I also really like how Oliver actually asks some tough questions and doesn't slobber all over Snowden's dick. And I approve of what Snowden has done.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to too.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My boss was arguing against providing subsidized vaccinations to children. I am for it because I don't like human suffering but I argued with him that it will save money when these kids don't have to go to the ER with some awful disease. My boss answered that they can go to "low cost hospitals" funded by charity if they come down with measles.

Yeah it's impossible to argue cost because they don't actually give a poo poo about saving money, they just don't want the "undeserving" to get help.

But on the whole "let him die" business, people who are alive, employed, and pay taxes are hella valuable to an economy. The death of Paul's campaign guy was expensive - the guy had a fairly nice earnings potential regardless of whatever his job was. So now you don't have him paying taxes. You don't have him buying goods and services (with revenue on which vendors will pay taxes). And now his family's demand for goods and services is depressed by the debt. Since he was fairly young, his death may have cost the economy a million dollars. But we'd rather lose that money and those lives than help the undeserving. Welp.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Will be lost down the memory hole because facts don't matter.

Kochs could install themselves as God-Emperors of America and most people wouldn't give a poo poo.

E: but holy poo poo depressing if true

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Pretty sure lots of dams in California would be a terrible idea given that they tend to render the land downstream non-arable and they destroy everything upstream. I thought conservatives LIKED farmers. (Lol just kidding I know they like them about as much as are troops. That is to say, not at all.)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I think you need to talk to someone, if they actually tried something like that we'd have a Caesar in a decade.

But this doesn't surprise me that the republicans establishment is literally rigging elections, really if you want to make things better in the united states make such action an act of treason and also make acts of treason (with a mandatory death sentence) unpardonable. So if you commit such an action you can easily sign your death warrant.

Meh, just make it seditious. I like that the definition of treason is so strict. I believe you need witnesses attesting that you swore fealty to a different sovereign nation and that you fought in war against the USA.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Crowsbeak posted:

I prefer to have it so that Democracy is the ideal of our nation, and trying to undermine it, makes one obviously a hostis publicus. Best of all get this to be a constitutional amendment and you'd get something that the tea party mount breathers would love. Whilst stripping their creators of one of their means of corrupting the system.

Undermining the rightful government of a nation is basically what sedition is. Since our government is meant to be "of the people," short circuiting the democratic process could be interpreted as sedition if there was a legal framework pointing to that. I hate to be pedantic, but the founders themselves were quite specific on treason vs. sedition. Basically because charges of treason can be great for doing away with people whose lives are inconvenient to the ruling class.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Are we talking consensual weddings between people with different shapes of junk here, or are we talking poor terrified Christians being forced to marry gays against their will, because I have heard that the gaystapo is going to force their marriage agenda on us all!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If I were pregnant at 11 months I WOULD be like OMG kill it kill it now.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

greatn posted:

Just funny local Alabama political news: a bill making it illegal for teenagers to ride in the tailgates of pickup trucks on state and federal highways failed to pass because of parental responsibility and lolbertarianism.

I don't see this as a bad thing. I remember such a law was proposed in California when I lived there back in the 90s and prominent Hispanic leaders were against it because white cops always seem to think 20-something Hispanic men are teenagers. They saw it as giving cops another way to harass Latinos since an outsized proportion of them perform manual labor and get to work via pickup beds.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Rand Paul, kill your parent.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Evil_Greven posted:

Didn't see this and search yielded nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmoGgziNTS0

Seems kind crass given that ISIL has targeted Iraqi Christians for execution, but then again it's not like he actually gives a poo poo about Christians, just American Conservatives.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So who's Squirmin' with Vermin?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Not to mention, while demand for housing is inelastic, demand for one's own room in one's own dwelling is not. While many poor people already have roommates, if rents get jacked up just because all the landlords are like "we can totally do this because min wage earners are making more!" people whose salaries are in the $30-$40k range who won't see an increase in earnings are just gonna get roommates or move in with their parents. And anyway, as said before, vendors of other goods can't just go "people aren't poor anymore, jack up all the prices!" because people will just go shop at whoever doesn't gouge them.

What a lot of conservatives miss is that the price of something is not set by how much money the potential customer has. If we have actual competition (lol) then the prices of identical goods are set pretty close to the marginal cost of producing them and the differences in price are mainly caused by the small differences between items of the same type. Outside a monopoly, people will tend to want whatever gives them the best value, and if I sell a widget for $10 and my competitor sells it for $5, I either need to also go to around $5 (because getting $5 is still better than $0) or I need to communicate to my customers that my widget is different enough to warrant the price difference (it's the aged Hennessy xo of widgets or something.) what I'll probably do instead though is call up my competitor and tell him that we'll both sell for $10 and then we'll give each other high faves later over the body of a forsaken child.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Amergin posted:

There would be if parents would stop coddling their children.

:rolleyes: I actually enjoy your trolling but this is too patently obvious. Do it again but right this time.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I don't have it with me right now (phone posting from work) but in Capital in the 21st Century, the (European) author says something like "raising the minimum wage will not significantly improve inequality. Except in the USA. Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with them?"

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Karnegal posted:

I haven't been here long enough to know if Amergin is a dedicated troll or just a reprehensible human being. Which one is it (although I suppose it could be both)?

Troll. He can be sensible and even contribute positively on occasion (mainly seen in other threads although he has also proposed some hilarious thread titles for this thread series on a number of occasions) either because he's too lazy to switch forums accounts or disinclined to buy two forums accounts. You can also tell because over time he takes positions and arguments that indicate inconsistent internal motivations. I think he's useful in that the USpol threads attract huge numbers of lurkers who never post so responding to him gives you an opportunity to basically speak to any who might harbor similar thoughts. I think it's a waste of time to respond if he's saying something deliberately incendiary however.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Stereotype posted:

So what if it was my dream to own a restaurant, and I started my own that served burgers and fries. What if I worked there as the main line cook to save costs, and employed my wife to be the waitress, would that be a real job? I'm not relying on "minimum wage" or a big corporate employer as benefactor, but I am doing literally the exact same thing as fast food employees. I probably could even support three kids and an apartment above the store! Why would my dream be entrepreneurial and gutsy but if I hired someone they would be entitled and lazy and dumb?

Actually employing your own family members in a business can be an awesome racket if you know what you're doing. Transfer money from business to personal funds and then deduct the business expense. That's why so many local businesses stick their family members in adverts or so I've heard.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
To be fair, the CEO of a smaller company (50 or fewer employees) does do a lot of strategizing, but for big companies they are basically a feudal lord but with fewer obligations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

How are u posted:

gently caress you, Alaska is a treasure.

:agreed:

A lot of people don't seem to realize that public spending is a huge boon to private business. But I suppose people don't actually give a poo poo about business as a whole, they just say that so they don't look selfish for wanting their taxes personally to go down.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Amergin posted:

Give me a realistic example where spending four years studying Shakespeare will ever become crucially important and levereagable, as opposed to computer skills that you can use in most job opportunities these days (even min. wage ones).

Unironically, it's a great class marker. I know I got my lucky breaks by charming the pants off of people in power, and my ability to signal upper-middle class traits was a huge part of that.

That's not the whole reason or even the most important reason for learning Shakespeare, but you gotta play the game, man.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Ugh I know drakegrim is a sub-Amergin troll (at least Amergin tries) but it's important to remember that the job market metaphor works both ways. If you could do a low-effort job for $15 vs a high effort job for $18, you'll probably choose the $15. The high effort job has to increase the wage or they won't have enough people. In other words, raising the minimum wage will have a knock-on effect as employers with near-minimum wages have to stay competitive.

*note: this does not apply when the employers are colluding to depress wages as seen with Google and Facebook and their ilk.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Is it bad that all I've gotten from the last few pages is the warm glow of affection for Amergin? Why are you guys even responding to this other guy? He doesn't even have cogent arguments.

Oh yeah I just saw a NYT article about how Huckabee is teasing running for prez. I pity the dumb fucks who donate to him.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Oh no why won't the women vote for us? :qq:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Skwirl posted:

I don't think many people in Iran are ordering bacon cheeseburgers.

This may surprise you, but atheist Persians walk among us. (they get mad when people think they are Hispanic.)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The only successful regime changes that were successful that one might reasonably argue were us-led were maybe west Germany (I don't think it counts since it's not like the republic system was alien to them) and Japan, and in both cases those nations were already industrialized - even if their infrastructure was hosed, their populations were at least familiar with industrialization.

I think Japan got a kickin' rad deal out of it all things considered. They save tons of cash by not having offensive forces and the U.S. taxpayer covers the bulk of their anti-China needs. What's a nuke or two when you get that? :v:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Oh yeah there's also the :tinfoil: theory that a lot of people in Spain repeated as fact that the CIA used ETA as a front to kill Franco's right hand man (well that is more or less accepted) but that they also contacted Juan Carlos and told him that if he didn't transition into a U.S.-friendly democracy after Franco's death they'd do the same to him. In other words, per theory Spain is only a democracy because the CIA told the king they'd gut him otherwise. Seems a bit far fetched but it's a fun theory.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

withak posted:

Michelle Obama reacts to being told that she is too young for 51:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbrVCPieca0

I look forward to the conservative spin on this video.

That's really cute.

Then again if I had a team of people hanging around to make sure I always looked good, I might be fine at 51 too.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Today my boss told me that if women don't have a gun, they're asking to be raped. I'm glad he's progressive enough to realize that it's not what they wear that makes women deserve to be raped! Um. I can't wait to find a new job.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

But you see Baltimore is different because there was never any oppression to begin with! They're all making it up because they like rioting on account of being too lazy to have jobs that are less physically strenuous than rioting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
After discovering that at least three people in my department are birthers, something I thought most people considered an insane conspiracy theory, I just don't know, man.

Just wait until they start talking about female brain mass. And...black female brain mass. :ohdear: on a pedantic note, isn't the only racial "disadvantage" black people have is that they have a higher than average chance of being born with sickle cell anemia? A slightly worse racial handicap than Asian lactose intolerance, admittedly...

• Locked thread