Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DemeaninDemon posted:

That cake looks tasty.

It's so loaded with sugar that it makes my stomach hurt just looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Brannock posted:

Surely there's got to be a point of diminishing returns for EBT, right? Clearly right now it's a big return on investment, but I wonder if it'd continue with the same ratio with more funds poured into it.

I mean if you hit a point at which we give people more money than they can reasonably spend immediately, yeah the returns start diminishing. The thing is that people around the poverty line have so many immediate purchase they need or want to make, but can't, that it would require a lot of funds being poured in.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JT Jag posted:

Basically, what needs to happen is someone needs to fund a study that proves that food stamps and programs like it lower the unemployment rate, or otherwise positively impacts one of the other economic indicators that are simple to understand and sound important to the majority of people. And then every Democratic policymaker should trumpet the fact that these programs lower unemployment, and if you are against them, you're for a weaker, less productive nation. The fact that people aren't starving is just a neat side-effect. It's disingenuous as hell, but that's how things work.

I see you've been reading from the Environmental Advocacy playbook.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

alpha_destroy posted:

I liked the guy suggesting cutting English classes based on a bad lit experience.

Judging by the papers I've seen graduate students write I would say we are already deficient in English. I mean, I just helped edit some guy's master's thesis and I had to explain to him when is and is not an appropriate time for a paragraph break.

When is

it appropriate?
Please

help.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Radbot posted:

The only way [I] score ... is by literally removing [agency] from a [woman] to make it ... what [I] want...

I hope things turn out okay for the baby, sins of the father and all that jazz.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Radbot posted:

It will, because of Medicaid. Thank goodness for that, huh?

Again, the argument isn't helping a woman or not - it's about keeping her on private insurance or letting her use public insurance. Apparently public insurance is literally nothing to some people!

It's better than nothing, but as someone who's been on both a Cadillac public worker plan and state Medicaid, there's a pretty big difference in flexibility, ease of use and face time with physicians. That little tyke will need all the help he can get, what with his lack of a proper, non-murderous father figure.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I dunno that's like liberalism 101.

It's fine, we'll teach them how to code by holding a Code-a-thon. Once that baby puts out its first app it'll be smooth sailing.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dubstep Jesus posted:

this could all have been prevented if schools had a mandatory life skills course that taught people how to provide their own maternity care

The cop father definitely could have benefited from a life skills course on not murdering minorities.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

R. Mute posted:

Let's talk about this...

... FOREVER!

Well eventually she'll have the baby and the point will be moot, but we're good for at least a month.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

icantfindaname posted:

But that's the whole point of joining the police?

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, 2 hits out of 8 fired at close range? And the dude was a big target even. That is definitely bad shooting.

Okay, maybe he could have used a course on how to murder and frame minorities better.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ReidRansom posted:

In any case, it's the baby we should be worrying about now. Assuming the lady actually likes her husband, that babby is gonna grow up with a beef. Maybe we strip her medical care and hope the problem takes care of itself.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ron Jeremy posted:

Another cell phone video showing police violence, this time a cop sic's his dog on a man he already has on the ground and straddled.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/04/new-video-surfaces-showing-new-jersey-cops-siccing-dog-on-non-resisting-man-who-ended-up-dying/

Christ, I'm feeling sick to my stomach right now. The worst part isn't the fact that the dog savages the suspect when he's already on the ground with a cop straddling him, it's that there's another cop standing by and watching. If you need to further restrain the suspect, in what loving way do you justify bringing in the dog rather than the loving human being with hands?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

Requires that any deal with Iran is approved by Congress. The agreement that finally got this through was the removal of an additional requirement that Iran renounce Hamas as part of the deal.

Oh, also, the White House removed Cuba from the list of state sponsors of terrorism.

Thank god he headed off the Tea Party criticism by saying that it's pursuant to the Constitution. They'll have no leg to stand on now.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

drakegrim posted:

I am not trying to troll, so keep that in mind.

It takes almost no intelligence at all to work as a fast food server, nor skill. lets compare this to EMT's.

1.) EMT's need to understand life saving procedures, react quick in a fast pace situation, understand basic medicine, and be able to medical language to nurses and doctors.
2.) Fast food workers need to know how to work the equipment that makes the food for you. There is no "flipping hamburgers anymore" as everything is now pre-made. Managers are not in this example.

I'm only mentioning this because of the on going Chipotle fascination, but having worked at Chipotle, everything there is absolutely made from scratch and it takes a decent amount of skill and know how to have everything prepped and moving well during peak hours. They don't pay great for the work required, but they do promote internally.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I once lived next to a poor person who drove a diamond encrusted Cadillac that ran on champagne and lobsters instead of gasoline. Every time they had to refill it they just pumped out another baby and the government gave them a million dollars tax free.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Also they held down small children and forced them to smoke crack rocks. Which they got for free from government drug programs.

Badger of Basra posted:

hosed up, if true

It is true, just social media it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PupsOfWar posted:

If its so easy for poor folks to get all this free money then how come they don't have any money

They spend it all on spinning rims.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

A Winner is Jew posted:

The only thing that anyone could ever really bust me on is that I'm not actually jewish.

Oh man, I don't even know what's real anymore.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

I could really use a hot take about Chipotle right now. In lieu of that, here's some interesting legislation from the Vermont State House.

Yes, that's the current marijuana statute with the word 'alcohol' pasted in. The bill's sponsors also have a separate non-troll bill to legalize it :2bong:

Is the actually wording in the marijuana statute this vague? The use of "small" and "larger" and the giant sentencing and fine variability basically seem setup specifically to gently caress with black people.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

hobbesmaster posted:

And none of them work all that well.

What's wrong with our flying death robots?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Garrand posted:

Chelsea should be VP. Clinton/Clinton 2016.

I was about to say that there's no way Chelsea would meet the clause that requires a vice presidential candidate to met the requirements for a presidential candidate, but looking it up she's 35. I'm getting old.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have a hard time believing that they have been just accidentally not apologizing for the last 50 years because they don't understand the cultural context. I think they're choosing their words very carefully, and I got curious about what words they know they can/can't choose.

In general I'd say yeah, but "repentance"? How does that word not suggest culpability?

Looking at the list of official apologies it seems like word choice, culpability and the scope acknowledged has varied over the decades and by specific individuals giving the apology. I have a hard time seeing how

quote:

"The problem of the so-called wartime comfort women is one such scar, which, with the involvement of the Japanese military forces of the time, seriously stained the honor and dignity of many women. This is entirely inexcusable. I offer my profound apology to all those who, as wartime comfort women, suffered emotional and physical wounds that can never be closed" (Statement by Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama on the occasion of the establishment of the "Asian Women's Fund"
and

quote:

"During a certain period in the not-too-distant past, Japan, through its colonial rule and aggression, caused tremendous damage and suffering to the people of many countries, particularly those of Asia. In the hope that no such mistake will be made in the future, I regard, in a spirit of humanity, these irrefutable facts of history, and express here once again my feelings of deep remorse and state my heartfelt apology" (Statement by Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama 'On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the war's end').
don't count as apologies though.

Some of the condemnation is Chinese and Korean politicians choosing to take umbrage because it plays well with their constituents, some of it is the feeling that Japan is backsliding on the issue.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah that was the next thing I was gonna ask: what will happen first, an official state apology for Japan's atrocities (complete with reparations or whatever), the same thing for the Armenian genocide, or hell freezing over?

Japan already paid war reparations to pretty much every Asian country except for China (in part due to Cold War politics they paid those reparations to Taiwan.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

On Terra Firma posted:

Well other than "be black" what exactly has Obama done to increase tensions? Nobody ever gets specific :iiam:

He said that that one cop who arrested a distinguished black professor in front of his own home "acted stupidly".

• Locked thread