Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

DaveWoo posted:

So the Governor of Arkansas just announced that he won't sign his state's RFRA bill as-is, and wants it amended to be closer to the federal version of the law:

I just don't understand this. If the bill is just a reproduction of the federal law, why pass it anyway? Don't local laws just inherit the laws above them if there's nothing set?

If you want it in line with the federal version, why not just not pass it, then you're covered under the federal version?

Yes, I understand this was a straight up hate bill the backfired magnificently in their faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

I was counting UHC as the public programs for whatever it matters

DoJ has formally charged Senator Menendez (D-NJ) with corruption. Let the conspiracy theories fly

Check twitter. The conspiracy theories already are, especially since the DOJ has also decided not to do anything about Lois Lerner.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Relentlessboredomm posted:

So that wage increase is for corporately run McDonald's only right? I didn't realize there were so many of them. I thought nearly all the locations were franchises.

At the end of the day, I heard this only affects about 10% of McDonalds employees.
http://consumerist.com/2015/04/01/mcdonalds-to-raise-workers-wages-but-only-at-10-of-u-s-restaurants/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

In a move that should surprise no one, a North Carolina anti-gay state senate candidate was outed as a female impersonator.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/gop-candidate-was-once-a-female-impersonator/

quote:

Steve Wiles, a Republican state Senate candidate who supports North Carolina’s constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage, once worked as a female impersonator at a gay nightclub in Winston-Salem and was gay at the time, according to a co-owner of the nightclub and a former employee.

Wiles’ responses over the past three weeks have ranged from categorical denial to tacit admission.

“I have already apologized to the people who matter most to me for the things I did when I was young,” Wiles said this week, declining to clarify for what he has apologized. The comment was made in the last of three separate interviews. At first, Wiles denied the claim.
“That’s not me,” Wiles said three weeks ago, referring to Mona Sinclair. Wiles responded “no” when asked whether he was gay. This week, Wiles’ campaign website, Facebook page and Twitter handle were taken down.

For about 14 years until 2010, Club Odyssey on Country Club Road was a nightclub where gay, lesbian and straight clientele could spend some money on drinks, relax with friends and, weekly, watch a show with talented female impersonators.

Wiles was a frequent patron in the late 1990s, Duggins said. Around 2001 and 2002, Wiles worked for Duggins as the show director, booking performers and running the show as Mona Sinclair, the emcee. At the time, Tomlinson also knew Wiles.

“That’s him,” Tomlinson said, referring to current photos on Wiles.

Duggins said he had no doubts.

“I recognized his picture when I was looking in the paper. That’s definitely him. He has aged some, but that’s him,” Duggins said. "I have no ax to grind against him. I just think he's a liar."
All these years later, Wiles is a real-estate agent who lives in Belews Creek. He filed papers to run in the Republican primary May 6 against two other GOP candidates – incumbent Joyce Krawiec and East Bend resident Dempsey Brewer – for the largely conservative Senate District 31, which comprises Yadkin County and rings around most of Forsyth County.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jeb Bush registered as Hispanic in 2009.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/06/us-usa-election-bush-idUSKBN0MX0RT20150406?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter

quote:

(Reuters) - Likely Republican presidential contender Jeb Bush, who was popular among Spanish-speaking voters while Florida governor, marked himself as 'Hispanic' on a 2009 voter registration application, The New York Times reported on Monday.

The newspaper posted a fuzzy copy of the form, which it said it obtained from the Miami-Dade County Elections Department. The circle marked "Hispanic" was checked. The next circle said "White, not Hispanic," which was not checked.

Carolina Lopez, a spokeswoman for the county elections department, did not immediately return calls to Reuters.

A Bush representative was not immediately available to comment.

The brother of former President George W. Bush and son of former President George H.W. Bush, Bush is exploring a presidential bid and is considered a frontrunner in the crowded field of possible Republican candidates. He was born in Texas.

Bush, who speaks fluent Spanish and has a Mexican-born wife, had widespread support among Hispanic voters during his two terms as Florida governor.

His stance on immigration has been at odds with the views of many in his party, including when he said last year that illegal immigrants who come to the United States to provide for their families are not committing a felony but an "act of love."

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

How does he tell who's gay? Is it a don't ask don't tell situation or does he have some kind of working gaydar in the back room he checks every time someone comes in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Goes to show how out of control inflation is now.

• Locked thread