Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sir Tonk posted:

..assuming the DoL doesn't leave in a ton of loopholes or whatever.

2 words: Independent Contractors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

420DD Butts posted:

This quote still makes no sense to me. Who washes their hands longer because their water is restricted, aside from morons?

Well, if it's a truly lovely faucet and there was like only a trickle of water coming out then it would take you longer to rinse the soap off your hands. I've only ever really seen that in public bathrooms with no security located in parks where only half the sinks are operable with graffiti on the walls talking about how you should call Chelsea for a good time. In established businesses and stuff the water pressure is more than sufficient for washing your hands.

Donald Trump doesn't know what he's talking about. He's probably got builders and money people making decisions to use certain shower heads/faucets to save on the water bill for his business, but he thinks there's some massive EPA conspiracy to turn all showers into water fountains.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 2, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Neville Chamberlain got a better deal from Adolf Hitler." ~ Senator Mark Kirk.

This could be the quote of any night since Obama's inauguration in 2009. The right can't decide whether Obama is Hitler or Chamberlain. It might have something to do with their focus.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

Did he store the corruption in his mini-fridge?

In other news, Fiorina knows what really caused the drought in California.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/6/carly-fiorina-blames-liberal-environmentalists-for/

The whole thing is terrific.

This is real crazy, but it's a meme in conservative circles along with "we're screwing over farmers because of a tiny fish nobody cares about!" You guys should follow right wing media more. This is something literally everyone running in the GOP primary thinks is uncontroversial truth.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

A song for the night. 56-44, it vindicates that money is the most important thing in elections and that the candidate with the decisive financial lead is far and away more likely to win.

Voters don't matter, money matters. Raise that money, spend that money, win elections: The process god intended for democracy. Ground games don't matter beyond 3-5 points.

Gee, I wonder which part of the campaign you're responsible for. You're one of the guys that goes door-to-door, right? You should have more faith in the worth of your job.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Crain posted:

I didn't see this here today: A man committed suicide at the US capitol holding a "Tax the 1%" sign.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/11/washington-dc-capitol-building-lockdown/25633433/

For some reason USA today doesn't actually say what the sign said, just referring to it as a "social justice message", but the Washington Post article does.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...9a32_story.html

This is hilarious. Let's discuss the world views of James Holmes, Timothy McVeigh, Ted Kaczysnki, and Anders Breivik for months and years on end, but holy hell we couldn't possibly talk about such a dangerous philosophy as "tax the 1.%" That's just beyond the pale!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Phone posted:

In a 5-4 decision: It's freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. :rolleyes:

More like, "In a 5-4 decision: 'What are you usually doing just after mid-day on Friday?' is upheld as a totes legit interview question. It is the finding of the court that the plaintiff is the real racist."

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Azuth0667 posted:

Because I make poor business decisions.

gently caress you, have you ever even had a Zoroasted donut made in a proper Zoroaster?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Somebody needs to start a new ThisFuckingElection right now, and just have it be CHIPOTLE in giant text. This story is killing me. I live in a country where Mexican food almost doesn't exist. I can go to a somewhat okay restaurant if I travel 40 minutes on the train and pay like $25 to eat there. I can also attempt to make something on my own at home. Neither of these options match the Qdoba steak nachos I'm craving. If this Chipotle story lasts another week I'm gonna go on a week long homemade Mexican food binge. People are gonna find me holed up in my apartment eating cold refried beans out of a can with a spoon while sobbing uncontrollably.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

That story made me hungry for tacos. So I got some and ate them.

Both you and Hillary Clinton need to check your taco privilege.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Radbot posted:

This probably has an obvious answer, but why were all the Saudi connections to 9/11 swept under the rug in the leadup to the Iraq war?

Who cares if they're to the right of the public average? They're right in the middle of what the people in their district believe.

The Bush family is pretty tight with the Saudi royal family. It has some to do with oil, but a lot of it had to do with the personal connections. George W. Bush's nickname for Bandar bin Sultan, the ambassador from Saudi Arabia from 1983-2005 and member of the House of Saud, was "Bandar Bush." It is reported that George W. Bush treated him almost as a member of the Bush family.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060614095551/http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030324fa_fact2

A lot of the conspiracy theories around 9/11 and plane flights for the Saudi royal family hinge on this.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 23, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Could the Terry McAuliffe thing be an early hint about who might be her VP?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Kalman posted:

Unlikely. He will almost certainly be heavily involved in fundraising though - he's great at that, but he's actively unlikable as a human being.

Really? It seems like having governor cred on the ticket would be good, and the VP is extremely likely to be a fairly boring white guy to try to balance the ticket. What are other possible VP's being talked about? Maybe one of the Castro's?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

I am actually quite surprised how up in arms white people on my Facebook are getting about this. There wasn't this kind of response from my dumb racist acquaintances at any point during anything with Ferguson.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

This has a lot to do with it, Ferguson was literally a no name tiny town on the outskirts of one of America's smaller cities.

You should look into the reasons why Ferguson is a "tiny town on the outskirts" rather than a neighborhood in one of America's smaller cities.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

You're being pedantic. If you compare the St. Louis metro area to the Baltimore metro area they are similar sizes. The only reason St. Louis proper is half the population of Baltimore is that the city and surrounding area had an amazingly hosed up political structure that was entirely connected to the reason Ferguson is the way it is.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Between Fishmech, Amergin, and MIGF dominating the last 30 pages I feel like this thread could do with some of that sweet curfew action.

They closed the schools so Fishmech can't attend his statistics class. It's not his fault. He's the product of a broken system.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also of note: tiny in land Boston packs in 650,000 people all on its own.

You're comparing the St. Louis metro area to the Baltimore political unit. You're a loving idiot. That's apples and oranges.

Also, we're talking about Baltimore, not Boston, hope that helps.

Second also, metro boundaries crossing state lines is not unheard of. Political divisions are of secondary importance compared to where the gently caress people actually live.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

This derail started because someone answered the question of why this is generating a bigger response than Ferguson, with the (correct) answer that downtown Baltimore is a bigger deal on the national scale than downtown Ferguson. This is not a controversial statement. The poster was not justifying it or saying it was fair. I know we're pissed off but you really don't need to devour each other over this.

People involved in this discussion understand that! The reason it's being discussed is because the Ferguson vs. St. Louis distinction is entirely purposeful, and it has a political impact on the events at hand. It does matter in terms of the national media coverage. However, if the journalists were doing their actual job instead of rewriting police department press releases then it probably wouldn't. That's an interesting point of discussion. Handwaving it away with "the Baltimore proper political unit is larger than the Ferguson proper political unit" is part of the problem.

hobbesmaster posted:

When discussing city of Miami vs city of Jacksonville services that is a pretty important consideration. "Miami metropolitan area" doesn't pay "City of Miami" taxes.

Also recall that fishmech won "smartest kid in america" in a contest that required you to correct an opponent's mistake to score a point. Think about that for a second.

Fishmech is pretty dumb, but very useful in this discussion as he represents how journalists approach writing their stories. If you punch the search terms into Google then Fishmech is correct. If you think about it for more than 2 seconds, though, it falls apart. It's a textbook example of "technically correct, but basically wrong."

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 28, 2015

• Locked thread