Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "In our generation, there is no shortage of modern-day Pharaohs who seek to destroy freedom-loving people everywhere. But by standing together, we will prevail." ~ Ted Cruz.

Hmmmmmmm, who could he mean? :iiam:

That's not how Passover works, Ted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karnegal posted:

Why would JEB want Walker as a VP? He's too close to JEB on like every issue. I don't think he brings anything to the ticket.

He brings $$$$$

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Accelerationism is the lazy man's leftism: it eschews the hard work of organizing for the vague idea that people will politically act the right way spontaneously given a bad enough stimulus. Of course, people would, in reality, still need organization after the Republicans bring on the apocalypse, so it'd just be an unforced catastrophe because it wouldn't at all lessen the need for the hard work required to get political power.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quidam Viator posted:

Because you're doing SUCH a great job of it right now. The fascists are ALREADY telling everyone that everything's the fault of the blacks and the mexicans and the gays. Your reply is one of the major reasons I write as I do; you are deluded into thinking that this stuff isn't already happening. You're already in a terrible, checkmated position if your idea is to organize people democratically into liberal structures. I don't need to accelerate because poo poo is already accelerating; I'm just here to practice this message, to see if I can make sense to a collection of people I've been writing to for over a decade, that your opponents have unbound themselves from the rules of this constitutional game, and it's time to do something drastic and unexpected.

Look, you have to make a realistic assessment of your opponents. How is it that they have taken both houses of Congress, 38 governorships, 60% of state legislatures, etc? Has it been through organizing, or reasonable arguments, or concern for the public welfare? How are THEY playing the game? From my position, they are winning by appeals to emotions of fear and hate, by purchasing influence and legislation, and by being in open contempt of the government of the nation, and in creating a base that will cheer all these things on because they have been taught to love the taste of liberal blood. You are NOT winning within this system. You and your ideas are losing.

It certainly is organizing: they're getting petiole to the polls.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
MOJ's kids will grow up hating male cislords, which is Cool and Good

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
are you even jewish MIGF

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
because if so, I'm getting a loving sackcloth just so I can put it on and then tear it in your honor

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

drakegrim posted:

haven't a lot of democrats been put to shame lately over bigotry as well..

1) "(Obama’s) a nice person, he’s very articulate this is what’s been used against him, but he couldn’t sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic." -- Dan Rather

2) “White folks was in the caves while we [blacks] was building empires … We built pyramids before Donald Trump ever knew what architecture was … we taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it." -- Al Sharpton

3) "‘Hymies.’ ‘Hymietown.’" -- Jesse Jackson’s description of New York City while on the 1984 presidential campaign trail.

4) "A few years ago, (Barack Obama) would have been getting us coffee." -- Bill Clinton to Ted Kennedy

5) "The Israeli puppeteer travels to Washington and meets with the puppet in the White House. He then goes down Pennsylvania Avenue and meets with the puppets in Congress. The Israeli leader then 'brings back millions of dollars' in aid to Israel." -- Ralph Nader

6) "(Harry Reid) was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." -- Harry Reid's comments reported by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann

7) "I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia [Sen. Robert C. Byrd, a former Ku Klux Klan recruiter] that he would have been a great senator at any moment. . . . He would have been right during the great conflict of civil war in this nation." -- Former Democratic Senator Christopher Dodd (D.,Conn.)

8) “Civil rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men and do not apply to them.” -- Mary Frances Berry, former Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

9) "Tainting the tea party movement with the charge of racism is proving to be an effective strategy for Democrats. There is no evidence that tea party adherents are any more racist than other Republicans, and indeed many other Americans. But getting them to spend their time purging their ranks and having candidates distance themselves should help Democrats win in November. Having one’s opponent rebut charges of racism is far better than discussing joblessness." -- Mary Frances Berry, former Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

10) “Well, because the Arabs who were involved in 9/11 cooperated with the Zionists, actually. It was a cooperation. They gave them the perfect excuse to denounce all Arabs. It’s a racist sort of thing, really racist – you know, picking out these 19 or 20 terrorists – they were terrorists – and saying all the Arabs are like them.” — Former Democratic Senator James Abourezk on Hizbullah TV

11) "Let me see one of you adopt one of those ugly black babies." -- Abortionist Ashutosh Ron Virmani

12) “There’s no great, white bigot; there’s just about 200 million little white bigots out there.” -- USA Today columnist Julienne Malveaux

13) "Them Jews aren’t going to let (Obama) talk to me. I told my baby daughter, that he’ll talk to me in five years when he’s a lame duck, or in eight years when he’s out of office. …They will not let him talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is.” -- Jeremiah Wright

14) "There’s white racist DNA running through the synapses of his or her brain tissue. They will kill their own kind, defend the enemies of their kind or anyone who is perceived to be the enemy of the milky white way of life." -- Jeremiah Wright

15) "The white man is our mortal enemy, and we cannot accept him. I will fight to see that vicious beast go down into the lake of fire prepared for him from the beginning, that he never rise again to give any innocent black man, woman or child the hell that he has delighted in pouring on us for 400 years.” -- Louis Farrakhan

16) “White people shouldn’t be allowed to vote. It’s for the good of the country and for those who’re bitter for a reason and armed because they’re scared.” -- Left-wing journalist Jonathan Valania

17) "(Joseph Lowery) said that when he was a young militant, he used to say all white folks were going to hell. ...'Then he mellowed and just said most of them were. Now, he said, he is back to where he was.’" -- The Daily Mail quotes Joseph Lowery, who gave the benediction at President Obama’s inauguration

18) "We are owned by propagandists against the Arabs. There’s no question about that. Congress, the White House, and Hollywood, Wall Street, are owned by the Zionists. No question in my opinion. They put their money where their mouth is…We’re being pushed into a wrong direction in every way." -- Helen Thomas

19) “You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent.” -- Joe Biden

20) “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” -- Joe Biden

21) "I give interracial couples a look. Daggers. They get uncomfortable when they see me on the street." -- Spike Lee

22) “I want to go up to the closest white person and say: ‘You can’t understand this, it’s a black thing’ and then slap him, just for my mental health.” — New York City Councilman, Charles Barron

23) "We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops. They ought to go." -- Marion Barry

24) “The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person…” -- Barack Obama

25) “That’s just how white folks will do you. It wasn’t merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn’t know that they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn.” -- Barack Obama

Edit: resource.. http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2013/03/26/25-examples-of-liberal-racism-in-quotes-n1549044/page/full

these quotes are sure to sink the campaigns for president of Dan Rather, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Bill Clinton, Ralph Nader, Harry Reid' Chris Dodd, Mary Berry, James Abourezk, etc. etc. (noted dead person Marion Barry's chances probably won't be harmed)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil_Greven posted:

I saw this bill and it's a fun one:

barack obama personally killing anybody would be problematic, even if they were engaged in hostilities against the united states

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
conch fritters

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

conch fritters

my school had them and was Cool and Good

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
migf is like the white zombie song more jewish than jewish

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh no joe biden run away from the captive bolt pistol!!!!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Talmonis posted:

Who's the Oompa Loompa in that picture?

e: sorry, you failed the citizenship test and can no longer vote

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ReidRansom posted:

How do you mean?

Bernie Sanders Doesn't Care About Black People
/

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Washington was built with slave labor at its founding and runs on slave labor today.

quote:

Every day, I serve food to some of the most powerful people on earth, including many of the senators who are running for president: I’m a cook for the federal contractor that runs the US Senate cafeteria. But today, they’ll have to get their meals from someone else’s hands, because I’m on strike.

I am walking off my job because I want the presidential hopefuls to know that I live in poverty. Many senators canvas the country giving speeches about creating “opportunity” for workers and helping our kids achieve the “American dream” – most don’t seem to notice or care that workers in their own building are struggling to survive.

I’m a single father and I only make $12 an hour; I had to take a second job at a grocery store to make ends meet. But even though I work seven days a week – putting in 70 hours between my two jobs – I can’t manage to pay the rent, buy school supplies for my kids or even put food on the table. I hate to admit it, but I have to use food stamps so that my kids don’t go to bed hungry.

I’ve done everything that politicians say you need to do to get ahead and stay ahead: I work hard and play by the rules; I even graduated from college and worked as a substitute teacher for five years. But I got laid-off and I now I’m stuck trying to make ends meet with dead-end service jobs.

American voters should ask themselves: if presidential candidates won’t help the workers who serve them every day, will they really help the millions of low-wage American workers who they don’t know or see? I’m a Bible-believing Christian, just like a lot of the candidates. Scripture says to “Love your neighbor” and “Do unto to others as you would have them do unto you”. It’s a shame too few candidates follow the guidance of the book in which they say they believe.

My employer, Compass Group, is renewing its contract with the US government today – but none of the senators or government officials to whom we serve food asked me or my co-workers whether this multinational corporation, headquartered in the United Kingdom, is treating American workers right. No-one bothered to check if the company that makes billions in profits is paying workers a living wage and offering decent benefits so we don’t have to use public aid programs to meet our basic needs. We the workers sure have an opinion when it comes to federal contract renewals – but no one cared enough to ask us.

President Obama and each presidential hopeful should have to tell all Americans whether they will stop giving US contracts to extremely profitable companies who pay their workers so little that we have to rely on public assistance programs like food stamps. Otherwise, all their rhetoric about wanting American workers to get ahead is just empty words.

My co-workers and I are on strike because we want the current president – and those running to succeed him – to make sure that federal contracts are preferentially awarded to good American companies that pay workers a living wage, offer decent benefits like paid leave and allow us to collectively bargain so that we don’t need to strike to have our voices heard.

Most of the candidates know where to find me. I’ll be eagerly awaiting a response.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “Every day, I serve food to some of the most powerful people on earth – including many of the senators who are running for president: I’m a cook for the federal contractor that runs the US Senate cafeteria. But today, they’ll have to get their meals from someone else’s hands, because I’m on strike. I am walking off my job because I want the presidential hopefuls to know that I live in poverty. Many senators canvas the country giving speeches about creating ‘opportunity’ for workers and helping our kids achieve the ‘American dream’ – most don’t seem to notice or care that workers in their own building are struggling to survive.” ~ Bertrand Olotara, Senate cook.

hey thanks for posting a single line from a loving article I posted last page

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maarek posted:

The point of my post wasn't that "Obama is using drones to blow people up" but "Obama is using drones to blow people up" as a thing that a lot of people who voted for him aren't in favor of and shouldn't be held accountable for. All the emphasis on the drones themselves is due to the fact that they are some crazy science fiction stuff and you'll probably need to wait a generation or so before people get used to robots whirring around lobbing bombs at people.

I voted for him to blow people up

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/apr/26/big-lie-las-vegan-watches-his-reid-tale-takes/

quote:

A Las Vegas man claims he started a false rumor that the injuries suffered by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid several months ago were the result of an attack by Reid’s brother, not an exercise accident.

Larry Pfeifer, a 50-year-old former consultant in the nightclub and entertainment industry, said he fabricated the story after becoming appalled that right-wing political blogger John Hinderaker published a rumor that Reid’s injuries stemmed from an assault by a Mafia enforcer. Pfeifer said he pitched his fake story about the Reid brothers’ supposed fight to Hinderaker, author of the Power Line blog, to test whether the blogger would publish it, as well. When Hinderaker reported it and the rumor was subsequently spread by others in conservative media, Pfeifer says he began plotting to self-report it as a lie to show the lack of credibility and journalistic standards among partisan media figures.

“It was just so outrageous,” he said. “The fact that someone can say something completely false that can destroy somebody’s life, it’s just wrong. Where’s the moral compass?”

Pfeifer, who describes himself as a motivational speaker who is involved in addiction counseling, said he completely concocted the story that Reid’s brother, Larry, showed up intoxicated at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting on New Year’s Eve in Henderson and claimed to have beaten up a relative.

Pfeifer said the media figures who published and broadcast the rumor did so without corroboration and without knowing his true identity. He revealed to them that he was using a pseudonym, he said, yet none demanded proof of his true identity.

The rumor spread quickly after Hinderaker published it April 3, landing Pfeifer on conservative talk show host Laura Ingraham’s radio program six days later when Hinderaker was a guest host, and leading to a conversation between Pfeifer and Rush Limbaugh. Pfeifer said he tried to get on Limbaugh’s show, where he planned to admit he’d made up the story.

“I thought the whole thing would be over in a day and a half,” he said. “I wasn’t after 15 minutes of fame. I wanted a platform where I could present this as what it was and 2 million people would pick up on it.”

He said he decided to present the truth after Limbaugh rejected him as a guest but repeated the rumor April 15 on his talk-radio show.

Neither Limbaugh nor Hinderaker presented the story as fact, and both told their audience to take it for what it was worth.

“Is Easton Elliott telling the truth? I have absolutely no idea,” Hinderaker said on Ingraham’s show. (Easton Elliott was the pseudonym Pfeifer adopted.) “He called me and told me this story. He’s related it consistently. Whether he’s right or not, I don’t know.”

But Pfeifer said it was still unconscionable for them to spread it, and now he’s looking to get as much exposure as possible.

“Can I set off a domino effect where people say, ‘We’re sick of this,’ and start turning away from this kind of media or maybe boycott their sponsors?” he said.

Pfeifer said he made up the rumor virtually on the fly, patching it together with bits of information he’d gleaned from going to AA meetings and reading a recent news story about Larry Reid being arrested for drunken driving and allegedly punching a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper. Pfeifer said he peppered it with false information that should have been seen as red flags, including that AA allows intoxicated individuals to attend meetings on New Year’s Eve and Christmas Eve.

He said he also made up details designed to create credence to his story, including that there was a potluck dinner at the AA meeting and that Larry Reid’s left hand was injured — a juicy tidbit considering that Harry Reid’s facial injuries were on the right side of his head and thus could have been inflicted by blows from a left hand in a face-to-face fight.

Pfeifer said he was appalled at how little vetting was done on him and his story.

“They had no problem using a story that had nothing but some guy’s word,” Pfeifer said. “Not one of them knew my real name. I didn’t even give them my phone number.”

Harry Reid said his injuries occurred when an elastic resistance band snapped as he was exercising, causing him to fall into a cabinet. Reid, who may suffer permanent vision loss in his right eye because of the accident, has scoffed at speculation that he made up the story.

“It shows the credibility of Rush Limbaugh; he’s the guy that got all this started,” Reid said during a recent interview on CNBC. “Why in the world would I come up with a story that I got hurt in my own bathroom with my wife standing there? And I think a lot of people, as I read, they kind of don’t like me as a person and I think that’s unfortunate.”

In coming forward, Pfeifer said he expected to encounter skepticism about whether he truly was the source of the rumor and whether he made up the story. A convicted felon who was sentenced to prison for financial crimes in the early 1990s, he offered dozens of emails and recordings as verification of his claim. He said he was not pressured to debunk the rumor and had never met Harry Reid or anyone in his family.

Pfeifer said he felt guilty for bringing unwanted attention to Larry Reid and for any harm he might have caused to the Reid family.

“I would really like to apologize to Harry Reid and his brother. What I did was (expletive) up,” Pfeifer said.

Pfeifer said he encountered several reporters who acted responsibly, both while he was spreading the rumor and after he decided to blow the whistle on himself. The Sun demanded that Pfeifer reveal his legal name and show his driver’s license, then ran a public records check on him to verify his identity.

Now, Pfeifer is hoping his story goes viral and leads to appearances in national media to speak out about irresponsible partisan media.

“Why are people so bloodthirsty?” Pfeifer said. “We’re all supposed to be good neighbors. Harry Reid’s a human being. If a complete stranger we knew was injured, wouldn’t we be concerned?

“Besides that, even if Harry Reid concocted a story to protect his brother, why does that matter? I understand (the public's perception) that if somebody could lie about something like this, they could lie about anything. But it’s not like Harry Reid was driving drunk and killed somebody. He was the one who was injured.” ”

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amergin posted:

Or the anti-cop narrative is not so much about cops doing anything illegal, but whether cops are racist when they handle minority issues.

yeah, no, the anti-cop narrative is about cops doing illegal stuff

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

Cops don't go to jail for torture, they go to jail for lying under oath.

they can do both

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, Israel's Best Friend, Saddam Hussein

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's a local channel? I mean nice to not totally break whatever programming they had on

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hardly. Maryland doesn't have town-level municipalities like Missouri. All police are county-level (Baltimore City is, for the purposes of discussion, a county).

e:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Maryland posted:

Outside of Baltimore (which is an independent city) the county is the default unit of local government. Under Maryland law, counties exercise powers reserved in most other states at the municipal or state levels, so there is little incentive for a community to incorporate. Many of the state's most populous and economically important communities, such as Bethesda, Silver Spring, Columbia, and Towson are unincorporated and receive their municipal services from the county. In fact, there are no incorporated municipalities at all in Baltimore County or Howard County, and the state's largest county, Montgomery County, only has three incorporated municipalities. The county-equivalent is also the provider of public schools - school districts as a separate level of government do not exist in Maryland.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 28, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meg From Family Guy posted:

They're not wrong.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

When discussing city of Miami vs city of Jacksonville services that is a pretty important consideration. "Miami metropolitan area" doesn't pay "City of Miami" taxes.

Also recall that fishmech won "smartest kid in america" in a contest that required you to correct an opponent's mistake to score a point. Think about that for a second.

Miami is different insofar as Miami itself isn't necessarily the center of Miami. The University is in Coral Gables. Miami Beach is its own city.

And all the different jurisdictions grew a bit more organically, like Coral Gables wasn't Miami's white flight. Miami was incorporated in 1896, Coral Gables in 1925.

e: Miami is younger than Ferguson

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 28, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why shouldn't the people who own the tracks be in charge of them? Their giving priority has nothing to do with being omg 2000 miles away. They'd still be violating that if the control station was 20 miles away.

railway network neutrality

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/texas-governor-abbott-orders-national-guard-military-takeover

quote:

Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday asked the State Guard to monitor a U.S. military training exercise dubbed "Jade Helm 15" amid Internet-fueled suspicions that the war simulation is really a hostile military takeover.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

What the gently caress?

Hey Jeb, uh...don't listen to this guy.

another zouxpinion

this is Good Advice that is also Cool and Jeb should do this thing

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quote of a day: "While no one condones looting, on the other hand, one can understand the pent-up feelings that may result from decades of repression and people who have had members of their family killed by that regime, for them to be taking their feelings out on that regime," he said. "And I don't think there's anyone in any of those pictures ... (who wouldn't) accept it as part of the price of getting from a repressed regime to freedom."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
tim wise is problematic

• Locked thread