Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

So I've been reading William Greider's One World: Ready or Not 1996 novel on the Loony Global Economic Revolution, and my dad's been reading novels about the threat of corporate states in Blade Runner style.

I'm wondering three things: When will the current global economic revolution (multi-corporations and all) reach it's expiration date, if it has one? Is the US destined to become a corporate state in which interests are served only to the oligarchs? How hosed is the future of our middle class?

Have you ever played Shadowrun? It's coming, just without any of the cool poo poo like trolls or magic.

More realistically:

1) When the last dollar has been sucked out of the last non-trillionaire on Earth and the 20-30 trillionaires left can finally see who "won."
2)Is this a serious question? We've been corporate for a long, long, long loving time. It sucks.
3)As thoroughly and unwillingly hosed as a naive aspiring actress called to see Bill Cosby alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It's more an understanding that no amount of financial literacy is going to stop you from getting completely hosed if you're poor in America but by lamenting the meager knowledge currently in place you can effectively blame the poor for incredibly predatory practices. Case in point, I just this past week was at a talk given by a regional Credit Union CEO and he quite clearly blamed the financial crisis and resulting recession on the shoddy financial literacy of the people taking out mortgages while ignoring any culpability banks had in the entire system. Later he discussed the liar loans and the like while showing apparently zero recognition that those might have contributed to the loving problem.

God, this is one of the most infuriating things in the loving world. I have a libertarian buddy I've argued this with 100 times. A couple of years ago he went to an Objectivist conference where he heard the president of a moderately big bank speak. The dude straight said, "We realized that many of these loans were unsustainable and would eventually collapse, but based on the volume of them we were doing we also understood the federal government would have to take action and so our risk was non-existent, at which point we stepped up our activities in this sector." This, to him, is evidence that he is right. Below is a condensed version of his side of every argument.

:yum: :"Hey, you know who is responsible for crashing the global economy? Poor people. You know, the people with no wealth or political power whatsoever? What's that? Mountains of evidence of straight-up criminality on the part of lenders? Me hearing directly from the horse's mouth that bailout money was the goal all along and even the top guy knew that was the plan? NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU IT WAS THE POOR PEOPLE!!!"

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

A Winner is Jew posted:

Norman Borlaug

This is a pro opinion, Winner is Jew.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

Radbot posted:

Maybe it's just the internet making everyone's opinions heard simultaneously, but it feels like we're reaching a breaking point on this kind of stuff. I didn't think it was possible but FB and reddit are getting straight up Storm front racist at this point, openly advocating black genocide in well-rated parent comments. At the same time, it seems like black folks are feeling more comfortable about showing their anger over police abuse.

I especially like this Internet character, I'm sure you've all seen at least one of them.

Gets a speeding ticket: "MOTHERFUCK THE POLICE I HOPE EVERY PIG WHO PUTS ON A BADGE DIES OF DICK CANCER BUNCH OF GOD-DAMNED LOSERS AND VIOLENCE FREAKS gently caress THEM WHERE THEY LIVE SONS OF BITCHES."

Sees video of cops choking Eric Garner: "Well they have a tough job and put their lives on the line so who are we to criticize or exercise any judgment whatsoever on these valiant and selfless heroes of the modern world and well he was breaking the law so..."

The law: Completely meaningless if it applies to you, justification for cold-blooded murder of bleaghs at all other times.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

Carrasco posted:

"You can ask him anything, but he's going to say what he wants at the pace that he wants. It's like boxing a glacier. Enjoy that metaphor, by the way, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is."

They really had no idea who they were inviting, did they.

"This is a man who believes the same thing on Wednesday that he did on Monday... no matter what happened on Tuesday."

"Now I know that it's true that only 30% of people approve of the job he's doing... but doesn't that mean that 70% of people approve of the job he's not doing?"

Straight-up ballsiest comedy I've ever seen, ragging the President out to his face and all he could do was sit and wear an increasingly strained smile while his wife turned into the proverbial white-hot ball of incandescent rage.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

MC Nietzche posted:

Oh I see, it's just a vast right-wing "conspiracy." Better wrap it up Hillailures.

It's not a vast right-wing "conspiracy," just a symptom of the fact that the right wing has been completely consumed by paranoid fantasies and general insane irrationality that requires everyone who opposes their smash-and-grab scheme to be a monster bent on the destruction of all that is good, children writhing on a pike, spitting at God, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “This is only a partial list of the domestic challenges Mr. Obama will pass on to the next president and doesn’t include the long roster of international problems he has created, ignored or messed up.” ~ Karl Rove.

Jesus loving Christ, this is like the president of Phillip Morris complaining about all the lung cancer and emphysema Obama is giving people.

I guess right-wingers really don't think anyone remembers anything past like 2 weeks ago. See: Romney in the first debate. "Tax cut? Tax cut? I've never said anything about a tax cut! I didn't even know you could cut taxes, that's insane!"

BTW just in case any of you forgot, today is the day Obama got Osama bin Laden, something Bush never even came close to despite invading Afghanistan and Iraq, bankrupting the country, killing hundreds of thousands of people and viciously maiming for life who knows how many more, and turning us into a nation of torturers and war criminals scared of every two-bit wanna-be with a video camera and a machete. Please remind your Republican friends and relatives of this fact, the sputtering rage it brings on is a joy to behold.

• Locked thread