Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bel Shazar posted:

I think the brouhaha over Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby have changed the ground rules.

The funniest part of the Chic-Fil-A brouhaha is that Republicans are sick of eating it now.

quote:

After the State of the Union speech in January, Sen. Lisa Murkowski pressed past the phalanx of shouting reporters in Statuary Hall and snaked her way through the Capitol toward the Senate chamber and a smaller, quieter gaggle of reporters. It was nearly midnight on a long day that had also featured the year's first meeting of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, whose help Murkowski will need in her 2016 reelection bid; in 2010, the Alaska Republican lost the GOP nomination and had to mount a write-in campaign to keep her seat. But when I asked her what had happened at the NRSC meeting, the senator's mind went not to strategy and fundraising, but to food. "It was Chick-fil-A! We always have Chick-fil-A!" she complained. "I don't mind Chick-fil-A every now and again, but you know, here's my deal: I'm really trying to eat healthier. I don't know what they coat that Chick-fil-A stuff in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the crisis schedule for the rest of the year.

May 31:
The Highway Trust Fund expires.

June 1:
Key provisions of the U.S.A. Patriot Act expire.

June 30:
The Export-Import Bank’s authorization expires.

Oct. 1:
Current funding for U.S. government expires.

Sometime in October:
According to the Congressional Budget Office, this is around the time the U.S. will reach the debt ceiling.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Looks like a business is choosing to use the not-at-all-discriminatory Indiana RFRA to discriminate.

quote:

“If a gay couple came in and wanted us to provide pizzas for their wedding, we would have to say no,” says Crystal O'Connor of Memories Pizza.

She and her family are standing firm in their beliefs.

The O'Connor's have owned Memories Pizza in Walkerton for 9 years.

It's a small-town business, with small-town ideals.

“We are a Christian establishment,” says O'Connor.

The O'Connor family prides themselves in owning a business that reflects their religious beliefs.

“We're not discriminating against anyone, that's just our belief and anyone has the right to believe in anything,” says O'Connor.

Sorry, the gays of Walkerton, Indiana, you will not be able to cater your weddings with pizza.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The original title of this article was Why I Won't Vote for Obama AG nominee Loretta Lynch: Opinion from Rep. Gary Palmer, R-AL, Rep. Brian Babin, R-Texas, Rep. Jeff Duncan, R-SC, Rep. Trent Franks, R-Az., Rep. Vicky Hartzler, R-Mo., Rep. Jody Hice, R-Ga., Rep. Barry Loudermilk, R-Ga., and Rep. John Ratcliffe, R-Texas.

Surprisingly, the article contained more text than simply, "Because I am a member of the US House and we don't vote on nominations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The writeup appears to suggest that only churches and other religious non-profits are allowed to discriminate but that businesses providing services used in religious ceremonies cannot discriminate. Since that's the reason the right is pushing these new RFRA bills, expect a violent backlash from the Tea Party if that's what the final language ends up being.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You can now pay Mitt Romney to be his towelboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVzZ_iBY_Ok

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ex-Congressman, current-deadbeat dad, future Illinois Senate candidate Joe Walsh will be broadcasting his talk radio show from Memories Pizza in Walkerton, IN.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

joeburz posted:

will he be running vs duckworth oh please oh please

He has said he's "very seriously considering" it, but he won't face Duckworth again even if he does.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Anyway, the DoJ just handed down their indictment of Senator Menendez and he's scheduled a press conference for 7pm.

He's previously said he won't resign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Menendez is the 12th Senator in the history of the US to be indicted. Six of those were later convicted, though two of those convictions were later overturned.

The first Senator to be indicted was John Smith (DR-OH) who was charged with treason for allegedly participating in the Burr conspiracy to lead the western territories in rebellion.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

I'm sure there are already people promising to leave their faucets running out of spite as well.

"Environmental protection is a total joke because these people do nothing. And I'll give you the example and it doesn't sound like much, but as a builder, I build, and I build beautiful places. And I have great success with these places. I go out, and you buy faucets today. No water comes out. Because they have it restricted. So what do you do? You leave the water running five times longer to wash your hands. The shower. You turn on the shower. There's no water. What is it? They have restricters in. You buy 'em with restricters. EPA. So what do you do? You stay in the shower for three times longer than you want to. There's no saving! And it's terrible. And people come over to our country and they say, 'What the hell's wrong with your showers? What's wrong with your water?'" ~ Donald Trump, in New Hampshire last month.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

420DD Butts posted:

This quote still makes no sense to me. Who washes their hands longer because their water is restricted, aside from morons?

You probably don't understand because you're a loser. OK? When people stay at a Trump hotel or golf at a Trump course, like the Trump National LA where we're holding the yoogest PGA Grand Slam ever, they expect luxury, they expect class. They expect the things that made America great and we have to make it great again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day:

quote:

The Resort and Spa at Sheri's Ranch would be honored if you would consider our brothel the official venue for your 2016 retirement party. We have a beautiful 20 acre property with a hotel and restaurant on-site, and a full time chef, service, and security personnel.

As far as activities that we can offer attendees, many of your colleagues are intimately aware of our offerings, but we may have added new options since they last visited. In addition to our VIP sex bungalows, BDSM chamber, and numerous Jacuzzi rooms popular with our friends from the political arena, Sheri's has recently added a new massage room where your guests can receive full-body nude massages from one (or more) of the two dozen legal prostitutes on the property at any given time.

We're sure that our venue will be a big hit with your friends, family, and co-workers. Heck, a retirement party at Sheri's may even help lessen the animosity between you and your Republican acquaintances.

Again thank you so much for your years of public service and we anxiously await your reply.

~ Sheri's Ranch, to Senator Harry Reid. They also thank him for helping to pass Obamacare.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, “We shouldn’t discriminate based on sexual orientation.” ~ Jeb Bush.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "What's going on right now between us and Israel used to be accompanied by a kiss on the cheek and thirty pieces of silver. We're truly looking at a Pontius Pilate President." ~ Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA).

(Don't think about his analogy too long. It makes no sense.)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Like, OK, if Obama is Pilate, then who is Judas? John Kerry? And the Iranians are the priests of the Temple?

The person being betrayed in the story is Jesus, who is guess is represented by Israel here, which :lol:.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
With the death of Misao Okawa, the world's oldest person is a Democrat who lives in Arkansas and voted for Obama twice. She would like him to attend her 117th birthday party, which is held on the 4th of July because she doesn't have an official birth record (much like someone else!!!).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Obama does a (bad) Frank Underwood impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1Nmy4gZIk&t=239s

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if he and a lot of his base would sincerely like to hang gays.

The point is: Tom Cotton is very concerned with whether gay men are hung.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I wouldn't worry too much. California's ballot proposition system will let the people with the best ideas to solve this put them forward for a vote and then ~*~the marketplace of ideas will decide~*~.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Press conferences later today probably.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "When did the Democratic party declare war on the Catholic church?” ~ Ted Cruz

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are members of Congress allowed to introduce legislation that would declare war on a country that the Executive Branch is presently engaged in diplomatic talks with?

The real question is whether there is a veto proof majority in Congress to reimpose the sanctions regime on Iran, which would kill this deal. Probably not, but we'll find out later this year.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "Neville Chamberlain got a better deal from Adolf Hitler." ~ Senator Mark Kirk.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Had My Mother Attended the Nuclear Negotiations, by Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY)

quote:

IRANIAN FOREIGN MINISTER MOHAMMED JAVAD ZARIF: The hour is late. Do we have a deal or not?

SYLVIA: What, all of a sudden you're in such a rush? You should never sign a nuclear program agreement on an empty stomach. Here, have some more brisket.

ZARIF: Enough of these stall tactics! I have been instructed by my government to walk out of these negotiations!

SYLVIA: You don't like my brisket. [Lower lip begins slight tremble. Eyes commence a forlorn roll upwards.]

ZARIF: It won't work this time. While you roll your eyes, we are spinning our centrifuges. And we will keep spinning them until Iran has enriched enough uranium to defend ourselves from the Zionist aggressors. Nothing can stop us. OK. Just one more piece of brisket. And that's it.

It goes on like that..... (and on)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Interweb posted:

Night? It's still only 4 PM in Cali.

Yeah, but it's 1am in Prague, Iran.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Governor Peter Shumlin (D-VT) has halted official travel by state employees to Indiana. Today, the state House tried to go farther, but got hung up on a technical issue.

quote:

Poirier told a gathering of Republicans that the ban would halt official travel to about 20 states.

“There’s eight,” countered Rep. Anne Donahue (R-Northfield).

“We should know how many states we’re banning travel to,” Rep. Patti Komline (R-Dorset) said.

They decided to take up the measure again tomorrow.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the last January, “After so many years of sluggish growth, we’re finally starting to see some economic data that can provide a glimmer of hope; the uptick appears to coincide with the biggest political change of the Obama Administration’s long tenure in Washington: the expectation of a new Republican Congress.” ~ Mitch McConnell.

Quote of the morning, "This report clearly shows that President Obama's efforts have not done enough to grow our economy and create jobs fast enough. It's very disappointing to see that job creation slowed down in March... Republicans in Congress know that their efforts to restore the economy have only just begun." ~ Reince Priebus.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
How to make a cocktail, according to the US Department of Agriculture Forrest Service, 1974.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Totally normal thing Tom Cotton does: buys grocery store birthday cakes and eats them every day.

quote:

You have been described as having very little appetite for frivolity. Do you have any guilty pleasures? I run a lot every morning.

That sounds neither guilty nor pleasurable. But I do it so I can indulge in the guilty pleasure of eating birthday cake.

Every day? Most days, with ice cream. Early on, when my wife and I were dating, we went to the grocery store, and I told her that sometimes I just buy birthday cakes, and I eat them. And she said: “Really? I do, too.”

Even if it’s not somebody’s birthday? Yes. She went to the grocery store yesterday and picked up a white birthday cake.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One lobby is already 100% Ready for Hillary, but are we going to be ready for what she will reveal?

quote:

Stephen Bassett is ready for Hillary. Bassett, Capitol Hill's only registered UFO lobbyist, anticipates that another Clinton presidency will offer another shot at what's long been the Holy Grail for extraterrestrial enthusiasts: full disclosure of what the US government really knows about aliens. "This is the most important issue in the world," he says.

His enthusiasm is shared by Michael Salla, an academic turned UFO researcher who maintains that aliens have been secretly involved in American politics since the Cold War. He thinks a Clinton presidency would be a good thing for the UFO community. "I think Hillary would play a positive role in getting this information out," he says. "I think that Hillary definitely is much more the pro-disclosure candidate, where as someone like Jeb Bush is basically status quo."

This is not the first time the Clintons have been involved in the search for The Truth.

quote:

In August 1995, [Laurence] Rockefeller met with Hillary Clinton, and perhaps Bill, at his Wyoming ranch. In a memo, the then-director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, Jack Gibbons, warned the Clintons about Rockefeller's agenda before the visit. "[Rockefeller] will want to talk with you about his interest in extrasensory perception, paranormal phenomena, and UFO's," he wrote. Gibbons said he'd tried to persuade Rockefeller "not to bother you with this issue" and to focus instead on the administration's science and technology policies. Rockefeller, he continued, "knows that we are trying to be helpful in responding to his concerns about UFO's [sic] and human potential—and that we're keeping an open mind about such matters—but I've made no secret about my conviction that we must not be too diverted from more earthly imperatives." Gibbons could not be reached for comment.

Bassett says the Rockefeller Initiative proves that the Clintons were interested in pursuing meaningful UFO and extraterrestrial disclosure. "You don't go through all of this, and have this much work, just to amuse a billionaire," he says. "If you did, you'd have to answer to that." Bassett has been lobbying for congressional hearings on the question of UFO contact with the US government. He says that forcing the Clintons to discuss the Rockefeller Initiative is key to his strategy. "I call it the exopolitical blue dress," he says, referring to Monica Lewinsky's infamous blue dress and "exopolitics," a term for the intersection of terrestrial politics and extraterrestrial beings.

This would be a welcome change from the current administration, which only jokes (or are they joking?!?) about aliens.

quote:

Salla, who has claimed that humans are currently in touch with 17 extraterrestrial civilizations, says that Hillary Clinton's return is another indicator that the truth is coming. He cites Jimmy Kimmel's recent interview with President Obama, in which the president quipped that he hasn't delved into the government's UFO files because "the aliens won't let it happen. You'd reveal all their secrets. They exercise strict control over us."

Where most people heard a punch line, Salla discerned a direct link to Podesta and perhaps something deeper. "The fact that he said aliens exert strict control over us—no president has ever said that before, even as a joke," Salla says. "Obama said things that shouldn't just be assumed to be throwaway lines. A senior adviser a month before said he was frustrated by a lack of progress and now you have Obama on Jimmy Kimmel saying that. I think it's worth raising the question."

Clearly, these guys want to believe... in Hillary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hey Joe I've been meaning to ask but it's been slipping my mind, what's your opinion on the education bill that just passed the VT House? From what I've been able to glean from news sources it's looking primarily to consolidate school districts, which strikes me as a non-terrible idea since the state really does have a lot of ones that are too small to effectively educate kids, but on the other hand I hear phrases such as "cut costs and reduce property taxes while providing opportunities for children," which always makes me suspicious that it might be just another mask for cutting public school funding.

I basically agree. For people who don't know, Vermont has nearly 300 school districts, which is clearly unsustainable, and the bill would require the smaller ones to merge so that the minimum district size is 1,100 students. That's going to inevitably mean some redundancies and loss of full local control over education decisions, but the bigger problem with it is the (delayed for one year) spending cap.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

What the gently caress kinda lobbyist is this guy?

A UFO lobbyist. I think that sufficiently explains it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

Want there some former national security advisor making the rounds on releasing UFO files writing p within the last couple months too?

Yes, it's been a longtime obsession of John Podesta who has worked for the Clinton and Obama administrations and is now on the Hillary campaign staff, which is why the UFOlogists are all excited.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Congressman Huelskamp is mad about bullet bans. So mad that he's gonna ban the bullet ban... with bullets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdbqV_AICc

Take that, paper!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "I took America to war in Iraq. It was all me." ~ Judith Miller.

She goes on to contradict that statement, by lying, but you don't really need to read that part.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is a picture of the cake Tom Cotton's wife bought Wednesday.

He says he's going to finish it tonight.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FCKGW posted:

Jesus, 1100 seems like a tiny school district. Hell, our local High School has around 4500 kids and that's just one High School in one city. Our entire school district is 53,407 kids and that only makes us the 9th largest in the state.

The largest school district in VT, Burlington, has just under 4,000 students. The smallest, Craftsbury, has 160. Only 16 of the nearly 300 districts have over 1,000 students, with most between 300-600 and enrollments declining statewide, hence the desire for consolidation.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I have a weird love of these stock photo twitter graphics the campaigns use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "In our generation, there is no shortage of modern-day Pharaohs who seek to destroy freedom-loving people everywhere. But by standing together, we will prevail." ~ Ted Cruz.

Hmmmmmmm, who could he mean? :iiam:

• Locked thread