Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don't forget that mean old Obama wants to make up new overtime rules that will kill the retail industry :cry: If managers can't work 90 hours a week for $25,000 a year, how can we expect to be successful!?

This might be one of the most important things he's done, as far as my life is concerned (I already have free healthcare). Changing this is going to fundamentally alter how just about every chain business operates, assuming the DoL doesn't leave in a ton of loopholes or whatever.

quote:

They may also bring back complicated and burdensome duties tests that would attempt to categorize and segregate management responsibilities from other tasks in a retail or restaurant establishments.

Yeah, this right here is going to really piss them off. Pretending low-level workers are all managers and making them exempt has been saving these companies a ton of money.

edit

Is that really the best argument they've got? That if their managers can't micromanage then everything will fall apart?

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 1, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ErIog posted:

2 words: Independent Contractors

Yeah, but if the laws on how those are used are actually enforced, then they wouldn't be able to used them as much as they want. There's a ton of restrictions in that regard, but the people working never want to make it an issue since they'd lose the gig. If the DoL were to go out and interview people doing those jobs (unannounced, of course), it would get kinda ugly.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wulfolme posted:

I really enjoy that NRF page trying to say that just because a rule is from the 70's, when wages reached their highest real point, that it's old an antiquated and should be left in the past with bell-bottoms. Who are the National Retail Foundation paid shills for, if anyone knows?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Retail_Federation

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Looks like a business is choosing to use the not-at-all-discriminatory Indiana RFRA to discriminate.

Sorry, the gays of Walkerton, Indiana, you will not be able to cater your weddings with pizza.

This is a false flag, obviously.

Oh and y'all have to hear the callers on this episode of On Point. The guy at like twenty-two minutes has to be fake, he's way too much of a caricature.

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/03/31/indiana-lgbt-rights-religious-freedom-law-mike-pence

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Spaceman Future! posted:

This is about the most NWS page of pizza reviews I have ever seen.

I dunno, perhaps yelp shouldn't let people review a business if they can't prove they actually went there...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

Yelp activism is pretty stupid.

All it's doing is feeding the right's persecution complex, like they needed any help with that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DaveWoo posted:

So the Governor of Arkansas just announced that he won't sign his state's RFRA bill as-is, and wants it amended to be closer to the federal version of the law:

The free market working as intended :patriot:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/581451/supreme-court-tired-of-white-kids-whining-about-their-precious-american-flag

Remember the kids' parents complaining that they couldn't hate on non-whites in California with their patriotic t-shirts? SCOTUS was not impressed with their argument.

quote:

The Supreme Court has denied an appeal from California high school students who argue that school officials violated their right to free speech when they made them turn American flag T-shirts inside out. […]

The Supreme Court justices did not comment on their decision to reject the appeal in Dariano v. Morgan Hill Unified School District and leave the ruling from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in place.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Accretionist posted:

Article: Texas measure cuts HIV funds, boost abstinence education
From: ABC News
Date: April 1, 2015

Democrat state Rep. Harold Dutton asked Spitzer if abstinence worked for him.

"It did," Spitzer replied. "I've had sex with one woman in my life and that's my wife."

"Is that the first woman you asked?" Dutton replied.

These random :iceburn:s we get out of legislatures make it all worth it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Ex-Congressman, current-deadbeat dad, future Illinois Senate candidate Joe Walsh will be broadcasting his talk radio show from Memories Pizza in Walkerton, IN.

And I thought ambulance chasing lawyers were bad.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

You probably don't understand because you're a loser. OK? When people stay at a Trump hotel or golf at a Trump course, like the Trump National LA where we're holding the yoogest PGA Grand Slam ever, they expect luxury, they expect class. They expect the things that made America great and we have to make it great again.

I want Trump in the debates sooooo bad :allears:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

site posted:

Already? Didn't he just support the bill like yesterday, or two days ago?

It isn't about discrimination. Also, Bill Clinton signed it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/lincoln-continental-concept-new-york-motor-show-2015-04-02

So will the President go back to using a Continental instead of a Cadillac now that Lincoln is brining it back?

Sure, it has a checkered history, but it looks great!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/01/us/water-use-in-california.html?_r=0

NYT has a graphic up of how much water is being used in California. Unexpectedly, gated communities of rich old whites are using the most.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

The NYT map is exclusively residential water use.

Yeah you wouldn't even see if the residential usage if ag was included. Doesn't even compare, well Coachella might since they're just watering a desert they threw sod on.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
After explaining the parameters of the treaty/agreement, Obama should read Cotton's letter.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
They're coming for our churches now!

Huckabee: Gay-Rights Movement 'Won't Stop Until There Are No Churches'

quote:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) said on Wednesday that gay-rights activists wouldn't be satisfied until there are no more churches or Christians in America.

“It won’t stop until there are no more churches, until there are no more people who are spreading the Gospel,” Huckabee said on a right-wing radio program while discussing the backlash against anti-gay religious-freedom legislation in Arkansas and Indiana.

"I’m talking now about the unabridged, unapologetic Gospel that is really God’s truth," he said.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Someone has been reading the 9/11 thread.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Munkeymon posted:

poo poo, I was hoping it was a scam. Like an outright take-the-money-and-run thing.

Who said it wasn't?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

Has this been posted? Cause it's glorious:

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/04/watch-pat-buchanan-school-hannity-iran

Hannity's such a twat.

:stare:

Goddamn I loathe Buchanan, but he's a pro in that segment. Hannity spends like five minutes trying to save face and pretend that Buchanan doesn't know anything about history. The production staff must've been laughing their asses off.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Accretionist posted:

Of American politics' great ironies, fighting teen pregnancy by telling teens condoms don't work is second only to the fiscal conservative's de facto insistence on inefficiency and waste.

The chronically homeless of central Florida cost about ~$30,000/head/year, mostly by way of law enforcement and medical costs. A [Free Housing + Case Worker] program would cut that to ~$10,000/head/year.

Or, in other words, given their population, conservatives will have Florida spend $100,000,000+ over ten years to keep the homeless on the streets.

Every leftie or centrist I've gone over this with has been sold just with some details about the program or the research. They like that it helps people. They like that it reduces crime. They like that it cleans up the streets. They like that it saves money and increases efficiency. But the conservatives? I've yet to find a single one that can get past the whole, "They don't deserve it," angle. It's loving crazy.

Houston and a few other cities have been going pretty hard with these programs, especially with vets (since that's an easy sell) and single mothers. I spoke with the head of the Houston program a couple of months ago and even he was impressed with how well the program has worked and he designed it.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Homeless-population-continues-to-decline-5514857.php

quote:

The number of people placed into permanent supportive housing, which has no limit on how long a person can stay and is connected with intensive social services, has jumped 81 percent over three years, according to the coalition. Neal Rackleff, leader of the city's housing department, said the region is on track to build the last 1,000 units needed by the deadline.

The housing-first philosophy contends people are more likely to stay housed if they have the guarantee of a home as long as it takes them to manage financial, physical and mental health challenges. Advocates also cite a local government review that found it is at least three times cheaper for taxpayers to fund a unit of permanent supportive housing than pay for emergency room visits, jail time, and temporary shelter.

http://www.chron.com/opinion/editorials/article/Helping-homeless-veterans-4772484.php

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Parker-shifts-housing-priority-to-homeless-4058503.php

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-reports-progress-in-combating-homelessness-5765543.php

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Gravel Gravy posted:

While I agree with your argument you ended a sentence with a preposition so I must dismiss it entirely.

Phone posted:

It did... For Rick Scott's former employer that his wife just so happens to work for.

e: i got this poo poo

For Rick Scott's former employer for whom his wife just so happens to work.

This is what makes the :10bux: worth it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/582060/obama-teaches-republicans-lesson-on-presidenting-for-dummies

quote:

President Obama took a break from his golf game and general tyranny-ing to discuss with NPR the deal to contain Iran’s nuclear power program so we could perhaps avoid bombing the crap out of Iran in World War Whatever. It’s a deal conservatives started condemning even before there actually was a deal, but that didn’t mean they couldn’t all agree (except for Bill O’Reilly, wtf?) it was a bad idea because war is so much easier, isn’t it?

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said he would revoke any such deal if he were president, because while Republicans just finished explaining to Iran and the world that the president does not have any authority to make deals, the president certainly has the authority to break them, duh. So President Obama took the opportunity to point out that Gov. Walker is A Idiot:

“It would be a foolish approach to take,” Obama said in an interview with NPR’s Steve Inskeep, “and perhaps Mr. Walker — after he’s taken some time to bone up on foreign policy — will feel the same way.”

Walker, let us not forget, not so long ago claimed he knew all about foreign policy and how to defeat our enemies du jour because of his vast experience busting unions, which is how Reagan defeated the Soviet Union, as we all know from our Rush Revere History Books.

The president also took the opportunity to gratuitously point and laugh at those Republican senators who’ve been insisting the president has no authority to president, at least when his name is Barack Obama:

“I am confident that any president who gets elected,” Obama told Inskeep, “will be knowledgeable enough about foreign policy and knowledgeable enough about the traditions and precedents of presidential power that they won’t start calling [into] question the capacity of the executive branch of the United States to enter into agreements with other countries. If that starts being questioned, that’s going to be a problem for our friends and that’s going to embolden our enemies.”

Calling out Walker is pretty good, although he should've included the ISIS remark as well.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Radish posted:

I think Walker is already legitimate enough regardless of Obama. He's the favorite tool of big money and would be a great president for them as he'll do whatever they ask, not ask questions, and doesn't care about the disastrous results both because he has no morals and because he is very stupid. They are going to try and push him although he's running up against the entrenched Bush machine that's been in power since Nixon. Obama saying he's kind of a dumbass that that doesn't understand stuff is fine by me since it reinforces the notion that he's really lame and no one really wants to vote for that even out of Obama hatred. If Obama came out strong against him and made him feel like a genuine threat I could see it building some spite momentum, but occasionally dropping lines about how he's a joke probably won't hurt that much and might deflate some enthusiasm.

And besides, arguing against Walker's "ideas" and treating him as a proxy for the GOP has a net positive effect for the Dems, in my opinion. Dude is almost as unlikable as Cruz.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the afternoon - "Rand Paul has been mugged by reality, and he’s adjusting a bit — but only a bit. From my point of view, he’s not really come to grips with the world as it is.” ~Bill Kristol

Great, now Rand Paul is going to win.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Wait, did you seriously just use the word "aughties"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

That's a pretty good deal, compared to what Huck is offering.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Did he store the corruption in his mini-fridge?

In other news, Fiorina knows what really caused the drought in California.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/6/carly-fiorina-blames-liberal-environmentalists-for/

quote:

Former Hewlett-Packard CEO and potential Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina is blaming California’s water crisis on “liberal environmentalists” who are “willing to sacrifice other people’s lives and livelihoods at the altar of their ideology.”

“With different policies over the last 20 years, all of this could be avoided,” Ms. Fiorina said in an interview Monday on Glenn Beck’s radio show, The Blazereported. “Despite the fact that California has suffered from droughts for millennia, liberal environmentalists have prevented the building of a single new reservoir or a single new water conveyance system over decades during a period in which California’s population has doubled.”

Ms. Fiorina said that as a result, 70 percent of California’s rainfall “washes out to sea” every year, The Blaze reported.

“California is a classic case of liberals being willing to sacrifice other people’s lives and livelihoods at the altar of their ideology. It is a tragedy,” Ms. Fiorina said.

The whole thing is terrific.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

computer parts posted:

This sounds like it only focuses on Republican primary elections.

Not a whole lot happened in the Dem primary in 2012.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “It would be something more along the lines of what President Clinton did in December 1998 during Operation Desert Fox. Several days air and naval bombing against Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction facilities for exactly the same kind of behavior. For interfering with weapons inspectors and for disobeying Security Council resolutions. All we’re asking is that the president simply be as tough as in the protection of America’s national security interest as Bill Clinton was.” ~ Tom Cotton

For a man that was a commissioned officer in the Army, he has no idea how the military works.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Maybe Obama just wants to take us all down to Paradise City? I hear that the grass is green and that the girls are pretty.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

My Imaginary GF posted:

Ya'll overlooking the obvious policy option: allow vets to keep their gun. You serve, you get to take your M16 home with you.

Oh man would this be such a clusterfuck. So many wives/husbands would be dead within a month.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Either way, it's really loving stupid. We had guys losing their weapons while in the field doing exercises, imagine them losing one in the neighboring city.

Everblight posted:

Yes, hilarious.

E: I see your :ninja:

:argh:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-08/for-some-wisconsin-state-workers-climate-change-isn-t-something-you-can-talk-about

quote:

Discussing climate change is out of bounds for workers at a state agency in Wisconsin. So is any work related to climate change—even responding to e-mails about the topic.

A vote on Tuesday by Wisconsin’s Board of Commissioners of Public Lands, a three-member panel overseeing an agency that benefits schools and communities in the state, enacted the staff ban on climate change. “It’s not a part of our sole mission, which is to make money for our beneficiaries,” said State Treasurer Matt Adamczyk, a Republican who sits on the board. “That’s what I want our employees working on. That’s it. Managing our trust funds.”

:psyduck:

Is this seriously the marching orders that the GOP govs got? The only strategy they have left is just "don't talk about it"? Florida has been getting clowned by the media for weeks now, this can't possibly be a worthwhile plan for more than a few months.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

In which Mike Huckabee suggests decapitating ISIS with a hoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FwCejK2XBU

Yep, we should've just started a war with the USSR. Big missed opportunity there.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Jesus gently caress, my brother works there. :stonk: I called him and he's fine, he wasn't there when the guy showed up. Apparently the gunman has been apprehended.

I'm sure they won't find anything at his apartment related to Alex Jones or Glenn Beck.

The man tells us that it was "a joke", but that's what they'd want you to think isn't it?

It's still up on drudge too.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

I mean, if you're going to vote for the hopeless Democratic primary candidate to the left of Hillary, why not Bernie?

Yeah for real, Sanders is awesome and I'm probably going to vote for him in the Texas primaries if everything is already going as we expect it to.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ron Jeremy posted:

Way to say this now, but I said in 2004 obama was going to be the next president after his speech. There's no one with that kind of star power for either team this election.

Much of the GOP base will tell you that it's Cruz.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shageletic posted:

Would Rubio really re-break diplomatic relations with Cuba if elected?

"Absolutely," he says. He says he wants "free and fair elections" in Cuba and that U.S. policy can provide "major leverage."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/04/14/399435501/republicans-are-making-foreign-policy-the-obamacare-of-the-2016-election

I know because we were almost there and Obama had to come in and gently caress it all up. Just a few more years of US pressure and Cuba would've cracked!

  • Locked thread