Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TheDisreputableDog posted:

So, like a re-allocation of less than 1%.

Huh.

From a useful program to one that provably does not work, for ideological reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

The problem with saying we lost in failing to achieve our strategic goals is that there weren't any real strategic goals in attacking Iraq. Like even the nominal ones of "hinder access to resources by extremist groups" were undone by the fact we want to war, not by anything done to us. It was pretty much just "gently caress it, let's fight", not "war is the continuation of politics by other means".

I mean I honestly cannot come up with a national goal that wasn't lost as soon as we decided to go in, versus one lost by what those we were working against did. If anyone can think of one I'd be interested in hearing their case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHol7WW2A8g

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pohl posted:

Edit: the median is a good measurement when the numbers aren't skewed. The numbers are skewed, however.

The median is a better measure of central tendency (than the average) specifically when the numbers are skewed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pohl posted:

Most of the people I worked with in the past made less than $30K a year. Sure, the median income is higher, but that was a few people making a lot of money while the rest of us made jack poo poo.
That number seems possible to you because you make a lot of money. You can't begin to understand it until you can understand the perspective that you might only earn $26,000 this year. I know a lot of people that make $100K a year, most people, however, make less than $30K.

Though you misunderstand how a median works, it is worth noting that the population median is probably just not all that all that applicable to most people. Even if the median income is $52k or whatever, if you happen to be a young service worker in the restaurant industry living in Boise, the number of your peers earning more than the median income is likely limited. On the other hand, if you're a mid-to-late career financial services professional in San Francisco, you may not know a ton of people earning under the median income.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

All of this nonsense makes me think that the federal government should just take over school lunch programs. Rather than handing out grants with guidelines that some local yokels will inevitably gently caress up (or direct towards favored contractors), just send a federal DOE bureaucrat to each school who has full control over purchasing and preparation of breakfasts and lunches. Since the wingnuts are already convinced Michelle Obama is personally spitting in their kids' lunches, what's the harm in actually taking away local control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Star Man posted:

I don't think Cheney gave a poo poo where there was a war, just as long as there was one. I really think that he just wanted to kill as many people as he could.

I'm pretty sure he just wanted to make himself and his buddies some money.

• Locked thread