Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Branis posted:

I think straight federalization of the police is the way to go. There needs to be one national standard for case law, statutes, training, hiring etc. And realistically this is possible because you can still achieve the same level of service by having X amount of cops in the geographical area that used to be the county or city or whatever just have them answer to the feds. Local government is a relic from a time when communication between the state capital in pierre and sioux falls would take a week cause some rear end in a top hat had to ride his horse there to get the governors permission or whatever. Hell it could work for all levels of government. Why do I gotta call public works to plow my street in the winter, but if I go a mile out of town the county highway shop does it, and then if its a state highway DOT handles it.

Eh, maybe incorporate everything at the state level, but I think the country has enough regional issues and differences to make uniform law in all areas more trouble than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

midnightclimax posted:

What's the most corrupt PD in the US, or the one with the worst reputation? (and what led to this fame)

I don't think it would be any of the famous ones. As a reminder, the San Fran Sheriffs' Dept just got caught running gladiator cage matches with inmates, and SF actually has IA and a public defenders' office with juice. If you can get away with poo poo like that in a city that has independent oversight mechanisms, I have to imagine there are probably some county sheriffs out in West Virginia who rule their sleepy mountain towns like Lord Humongous and have a meth cook going in one of the empty jail cells.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Jesus.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Here's a question: there have been a few cases recently where a prisoner insisted that they couldn't breathe, or needed a doctor, or were otherwise in distress, and the sheriffs basically laughed them off. Do a certain percentage of people you detain insist that the cuffs are too tight or otherwise act like they're dying, to the point that people start to tune it out, or were these sheriffs just shitheels?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Volume posted:

This is actually a pretty well established precedent with in the American Judicial System. When a group commits a crime and one of them murders some one, every one in the group is held accountable for the murder because it would not have happened if they were not committing a crime.

Not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the felony murder rule requires some sort of mens rea.

VVV That too.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 1, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Volume posted:

at least three of them are being charged with False Imprisonment and that is a felony.

In Maryland, it only applies to certain felonies, which does not include false imprisonment. Also, depending on how tangential their involvement was, making the connection to the harm would be hard. The cops who made the initial arrest (even if it was unwarranted) can probably reasonably argue that there was no way they could have foreseen him being harmed when they handed him over to the paddy wagon.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Volume posted:

Is it common for charges to be dropped because the perpetrator didn't know it was a crime?

If you argue they're abetting a conspiracy with otherwise lawful conduct, I imagine the answer is yes. If you rob a bank and top up your getaway car in New Jersey, the guy who pumps your gas can't be charged as an accessory because he never asked if you had sacks of cash and a dead witness stuffed in the trunk.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 1, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Reign Of Pain posted:

Those god damned loving cunts just recommended to cut 838 million from our budget. 5th year in a row of budget cuts. It probably also means that I'll have to go back to support since I can't stay on a detail for more than 3 years in a row. Guess they'll just have to keep that IT security team staffed at at 30%.

Putting money into the IRS budget gets back a lot more than what was put in. Some say it's 1:6 and some say it's 1:4, some tea party buttfucks says it 1:2 - but the point is they all agree the return is greater so I don't know why they've done this 5 years in a row.
Well, I was about to ask if y'all were hiring, but...

Real talk though, it annoys me how no one disputes the importance, utility, or rate-of-return on the IRS, but every politician is willing for slash their budget because people hate taxes. It's like, "Garbage Men: They smell bad and should be shunned."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rad Lieutenant posted:

You've given me a lot to think about.

You're the civil servant unfairly maligned because of his job in this analogy.

I think I might really enjoy doing tax enforcement, because I spent a not-inconsiderable portion of my Air Force career wishing I could fine people or put them in jail for loving up the paperwork.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
That's pretty far in the past. Either way, I'd say it's better to ask and let them tell you no than to self-eliminate.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DrakeriderCa posted:

They were the best public order tool ever, until Americans used them to bite black people and now nobody can have nice things :colbert:
I think my favorite part of the DoJ report on Ferguson was the "suspects bit by police dogs" being a smooth 100% African American.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

So apparently Santa Ana PD heard about cell phone cameras getting tossed and decided to take it to the next level. Link has video.
The defense is throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks in an attempt to suppress evidence unfavorable to their clients. It's not really newsworthy unless a judge takes the motion seriously.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Untagged posted:

I've got my dashcam and body cam rolling. So you can back the gently caress up and stop screaming "I'M RECORDING THIS I'M RECORDING THIS" it's annoying as hell.

Look, everyone knows that your department will destroy those recordings if they're unfavorable to you.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Computer Voice Stress Analysis

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Or they just teach a summer school class to keep the checks coming in.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Blimp folder.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You're getting searched because your vehicle looks like Cheech & Chong's truck from Up In Smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Out of curiosity, did you guys apply to multiple departments when you were starting out, or just one? Did you take whichever offer came back first, or did you have the PD equivalent of a safety school? Is it a pain in the rear end having multiple background investigations being run on you at once?

• Locked thread