Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My border collie is a loving retard who runs into verandah posts and corners of the house that have been there since HE WAS 3 MONTHS OLD - hes now 4. Gets rings run around him by the little miniature Dachshund.

Our kelpies were far better handling animals, and by GOD can they jump- 1200mm high barbed wire fence? No worries. Except the day the last one hosed it up and snagged his balls on the barbed wire.. that was an awkward trip to the vets.

Tho the first 4-6yrs of kelpie ownership is a trip down the batshit insane rabbit hole... hope your not too attached to your garden!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im suck in internet limbo at the moment... We're in a new greenfields estate, and with the NBN announced, were getting Fibre to the Premises internet. Except they havent finished building it yet... I have fibre running past me in the street, but theres no fibre to the supernode exchange in Hahndorf... which is 20km or so away. And they have to trench and lay conduit the entire distance. The local exchange has a fibre connection to the outside world, but its not big enough to stick the FTTP gear in there with all the existing copper switchgear too.

The bullshit thing is that I dont even have the old copper network to fall back onto. Because this development is scheduled for fibre hookup within 5 years, Telstra has said "Well we're not dumping copper in" because its pointless and a cost they dont want to fork out for. So im stuck on 3G wireless internet (no 4G here yet) and because ive been told "It could be in May" by the time they get the fibre hooked up, I dont want to go onto a 24 month contract, so its prepaid only.

At $50/4GB of data... Australian mobile data rates SUCK RANCID DONKEY ARSE.

On a positive note, im actually living in my new house now!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Its 70 for 2gb in america with Verizon, with 10 bucks per gig after that. I have a grandfathered plan that's 60 for 2gb. :jerkbag:

I rarely use that much though. I'm usually on wifi.

Telstra charges 3c per meg after you go over your cap if your on a plan, nothing like $30/gig to make you cry when your bill comes in. Fortunately im on prepaid for this, so if i blow through my cap it just stops working. Hurry the gently caress up Fibre, $120 a month for unlimited 100/40mbit!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I dunno, Im sitting in my new house, on my to me, free, Laz-y-boy recliner drinking scotch listening to Dark Side of the Moon on a good Hifi with the entire house to myself cos the missus is off in Canberra visiting family and this is pretty awesome.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I think we're going to try to buy a house this summer and my level of anxiety over this is pretty much: :ohdear:

Its like that at the start (i've been through four years of this bullshit to get to the stage of actually living in my new house because of land developer fuckups) but eventually it pays off.

Scotch and coke, Laz-y-boy recliner, Black keys on the stereo and friends over for dinner you cooked them. Its so worth it. That and I cut a foot diameter hole in my ceiling two days ago ready for my fireplace to go in and im getting ready to drill straight through my hardwood floors in a closet to bolt a gun safe down, and I dont have to ask anyone for permission (apart from the missus) or try to hide it from a rental inspection.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

I have an upgrade every ten months and I pay $100 less than two year contract pricing (so my 64GB 6+ was $299 not $399 and my 32GB 5S was $199 instead of $299) then I sell them for whatever the unlocked rate is and I make money on it.

plus a new screen is $120 which isn't a whole lot of money :v:

A 64gb 6+ is A$1,299 here... Hence why my missus just picked up a new 5s on a $60 a month plan... We get hosed over so hard on phone pricing...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

So this is really painful to admit.

I fell off the wagon hard enough that I'm dealing with pretty ugly withdrawal (sweats, shakes, puking, etc). It's been well over 2 months since I started dealing with this. It's especially painful to admit because I just went through this about 6 months ago, and I'm probably going to get kicked out of the house over it. The only way I'm even able to get through the day at work is because I spend half the day in the car, and therefore I can sneak a few drinks.

I've spent the past week trying to track down benzos in hopes of avoiding the whole hospital bit, since benzos (valium, ativan, klonopin, etc) are what are generally used for alcohol withdrawal (they act on the same receptors in the brain as alcohol). I've dug myself deep enough that even stronger oral benzos really aren't doing a drat thing. :smith:

Not as bad as last time, but bad enough that I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the whole "hello hospital?" bit sometime tomorrow. It's either drive there while feeling fine, but with a BAC at least 3x the legal limit (which generally results in an involuntary trip to a psychiatric hospital that isn't covered by insurance, or a shot of Ativan followed by getting kicked out and a lecture about clogging up the ER), or wait until I'm shaky as poo poo (but legal to drive, and they do a :wtc: at my blood pressure and shoot me full of Ativan before shoving a catheter into my man bits and moving me into the ICU).

You'd think I'd learn my lesson, I've been through detox more times than I can count now, and been through rehab once so far. :sigh:

Dude, no one is going to think of you less for admitting to this. Get the help you need, we'll be here when you need to vent.

Take care of yourself, thats the most important bit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Got my fireplace installed today. Gonna be nice not having to run the reverse cycle to warm the place up, that shits getting expensive.

And Im really chuffed that our ducted AC design works and we can pump hot air from the room with the fire in it to the rest of the house!

drat efficient too- had it going since about 2pm and its eaten 4 pieces of wood 6" diameter in that time, and the last two will go all night

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

bennyfactor posted:

This really cool. How does it work? Given that you're drawing hot air from the room with the fire to other parts of the house, is it fair to assume that the stove doesn't draw a draft from the room it's in? Does it have some sort of inlet from outside the house or something?

Its a slow combustion stove, but not with a baffle or anything like that, it just rolls the combustion gasses in the firebox before letting them go out the flue and has a shitload of convection powered air injectors throughout the firebox to pump a shitload of air into it to get it to burn ultra efficiently.

As for airflow, it just draws in room air for combustion and it heats by radiation and convection- its got a full casing around it it that allows air to convect up around the firebox and heat the room. As for the circulation, its just a standard ducted AC unit, except we moved the air return inlet from the hallway into the main living room where the fire is so it sucks up all the hot air from ceiling level and blows it around the house. Aussie houses arent sealed anywhere near as well as other countries purely because we dont get months of freezing blizzard bullshit- this place doesnt even have a vapour barrier- its got foil sarking for heat insulation but thats it - Ive actually got deliberate spinaway vents in the roof to get rid of moisture from the winter and the heat from the summer!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

fjelltorsk posted:

I actually feel decent today, i even did a shorter ride on my bike.

work on the other side was a shitshow. A freaking bus driver was so annoyed that we made him wait to swap a tire with no thread after he popped the bus in to have a code cleared, that he drove the bus of the lifters before they cleared the undercarriage. one of the hydraulic rams for the lifters is bent, and the damages to the bus is pretty solid. three airtanks, dehumidifier, compressor, transmission knocked off alignment with bent mounts and alot of poo poo is knocked loose.

I have now banned all personel not directly employed at the shop, and i have told the operator that they are paying.

How in fucks name is that not at least a full written warning for the driver or instant dismissal? I work for a state government department and if I pulled a stunt like that I wouldn't even be allowed to clean out my locker before being shown the door!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Another Wednesday, another tire stabbed to death on my work van. This time they also got 5 out of 6 tires on the box truck as well, and another coworker's van to boot. Also they smashed out a few windows in one of our outlying storage houses. This is the third week in a row that this poo poo has happened, it's getting real old.

I think this is the stage where on a Tuesday afternoon you inflate all your work van tyres to 100psi and leave them overnight to see if you find a dismembered corpse in the morning.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Fun fact : Sydney house prices are approaching 800K AVERAGE. There are now suburbs where you cant find anything below a million. Very few people can actually afford that of course but if you want to own a roof, you have to find a way so that means both parents working full time and often also second job part time and still struggling. Moving out to the extreme ends of Sydney (now approaching 100km on the SW corridor) and it's still over 400K, under 300K hardly exists anymore within two hours of Sydney.

And now the Wollongong / Sydney / Newcastle suburban areas are beginning to touch and merge, what was the cheaper "Out of Sydney" areas are going up at a huge rate too. So basically anything within 150kms is ridiclously expensive.

Edit : And there's no real option here either, you want a job, you HAVE to be close to one of the major cities in Australia. There is no such thing as affordable housing even close to any city, even Darwin is going through the roof.

I'm only about 40 mins out of Adelaide in the hills and just bought 900m2 of land and built a brand new 4 bedroom home on it for under $400K, it's doable, but you have to live in Adelaide to do it...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I got a 24 port HP unmanaged switch for not very many ausbucks not long ago and according to my tech head brother it's pretty much enterprise grade guts in a cheaper chassis and no management

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

"If you guys care this much about a lovely pizza shop, you seriously need to re-evaluate your lives. Peace out losers."

Anyways, you gotta love being the first one to use the port-a-potty after the poo poo-Sucker leaves. Today is off to a good start.

By the time they took the port-a-bog off our site for our house build, the tradies were sitting on two pieces of 4x2 on top of the seat because the splinters were preferable to exposing skin to the horrors of that plastic, and the extra 2" of clearance were needed too

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Phablets and phones with a huge screen are a liability if your not working in an office environment too- something bout the size of an iPhone 5 is about the limit you want to go or it's just too easy to smash screens bumping into things getting in and out of trucks and machinery or working on the ground. Half my coworkers have big phones. Coincidently most of my co workers have a screen repair company's number memorised.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Found this while out reading meters today. Kingsnakes own :3:

That beats the hell out of what i usually find in valve pits. I usually stumble across these evil bastards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

Thats not a fun one to get bitten by. Theres no pain from the bite and you suffer no symptoms until about 30-45 mins later, when you suddenly collapse because your brains been whalloped by the neurotoxins. Theres a 50/50 chance of cardiac arrest at that moment too!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

leica posted:

Jesus, gently caress that. People here freak out over harmless Black Racers, they would have meltdowns over those things here.

I was actually kind of surprised of this in the wiki article:

quote:

As this species tends to initiate their defence with non-fatal bites, the untreated mortality rate in most snakebite cases reported is 10–20%, which is not very high.

I thought for sure you're a dead person without treatment, but i guess in defense mode they don't give you a full dose, interesting.

Its all to do with how energy consuming it is to produce venom- it takes an enormous amount of energy to produce venom, so if you blow all your venom by dumping it into some spanner who doesnt know when to stop pissing off the angry snake then the next time you nail a mouse for food you might not have enough venom to actually kill the mouse and it escapes, which means you go hungry, which means you dont have the energy to produce venom and the cycle goes around and around until you starve to death. They also have TINY fangs- like 2-3mm long, so they wont even penetrate a pair of jeans if they bite you.

This being Australia tho, theres always something out there that doesnt play by those rules. Take the Mulga Snake for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudechis_australis

THESE bastards will bite you (sometimes without provocation too, they have been reported to bite people in their sleep!) and then just pump venom into you until they run dry.

The wetness is all venom, aussie snakes dont drool.

And they grow huge.

That one measured in at 221cm, or over 7'

And then theres the inland taipan. We've got two of these as pets at work in the Wildlife Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_taipan

Get bitten by that fucker more than an hr or so from hospital, better start to write your will. They have the most toxic venom of ANY snake in the world and one full envenomation will deliver enough venom to kill 250,000 mice or 100 men. Evolved to hunt warm blooded mammals in Australia and lives in the desert regions where you had to 110% make sure whatever you bit didnt gently caress off before you could eat it.

They're really cool, inquisitive and chill snakes. Its only if you do something dumb like step on one that your going to regret it.

Ive spent a fair bit of time doing work with the reptiles at work (mostly the maintenance on their enclosures) and could rabbit on for hours about them- australia has some of the coolest reptiles.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Oh man, please do! Reptiles are my poo poo, and I love learning about new stuff.

Alright!

Continuing on the theme of "Australias full of poo poo thats going to kill you if you fart in the wrong direction", the Common Death Adder.

Again, because Australia, its one of the most venemous land snakes in the world, but its not related to the European Adder- those are vipers, these are members of the Elapid family, which is only found in Australia and the surrounding islands (like New Guinea)

They really are the gooniest of all the snakes too, Short, Fat, lazy. They will literally spend their entire life underneath one shrub if they dont have any need to move- there was a PHD student a few years ago that was doing their thesus on the death adder and ended up having to choose another species of snake because the one adder he DID find, moved less than 500mm in 6 months of daily study. Death adders hunt by deception- they have a rapidly tapering tail which is often white and heavily segmented, kinda like a big grub.

Theyre masters of camoflage and have very good eyesight, so they cover themselves in leaves and just sit there waiting for something to wander by, then start to wiggle their tail like a grub on the surface. A bird or a small mammal will see that and go investigate it looking for a meal and then the snake strikes, with one of the fastest strikes of all the australian snakes- we had one for a venemous animal awareness course and its strike is faster than the eye can see.

If you get bitten by these, your really loving unlucky or your rooting around under bushes or leaves barehanded, which is just stupid in australia in the first place.

Its always fun to look at the list of snakes and see just how many australian ones rank highly in the "Going to gently caress you up" lists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dangerous_snakes#Most_venomous

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Woo! Fiber to the home internet ordered! should have it within the next 20 days!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Four more bucks and you could be drinking Sailor Jerry, and not wondering why you decided to dry-clean your tongue with overspiced shitwine. :v:

Yeah gently caress you and your $9 rum bottles...

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_374557/sailor-jerry-spiced-rum-700ml

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Currently NBN is at 100/40 (which condsidering most of the continent is on ADSL at 1.5-24mbit and 100+yr old copper lines) is stonkingly fast, but the only thing limiting it is the hardware- the fiber is infinately upgradable.

Of course i went 100mbit, cos anything less just seems halfarsed :P

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yep- I dunno why it would be slower in a rural area but here 45kms from the Adelaide CBD we get the fastest possible. Signed up with Optus for ours because they offer Unlimited data, which they use a fair use policy on so if you cause network performance issues they'll cap your data off, but so far some guys on whingepool have been downloading 8+TB per month on it and not run into issues. Apart from Hard Drive space.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You Am I posted:

8TB a month :aaa:

I have 500GB a month and barely make a dent in that.

The only thing I can think of that would come close to using that much data would be downloading blue ray ISO's or streaming 4K TV to multiple users. I know I'm not going to come close to that even with all my mates queuing up with torrent lists and at least one Netflix subscription. Wonder how close to the theoretical 100mbit I'll get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Count down until our prime minister says something thunderously stupid and inflames the situation with Indonesia even more....

• Locked thread