Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

triple clutcher posted:

I think I might have a 911 Turbo on my hands. German, loud, difficult to control, and tends to oversteer into the coffee table.

I have one of those too. Gets temperamental and doesn't want to run when it's hot out:

My wife named him Edsel while looking for obnoxiously German names to give a doberman without knowing the back story behind the car. It's very fitting for his personality.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

You upset the Godfather didn't you?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cat Terrist posted:

I thought I had walked into someone's stash but I've since found out cannibas grows wild here and it's dead easy to find.

It's probably wild-growing hemp. Happens all the time in places where it used to be grown when it was still a legal commercial crop. Grows like a weed and is visually indistinguishable from marijuana and as stated at best will give you a headache before it makes you high.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for electronic pulse massagers?

My friend's wife is a physical therapist, I'll see if she has any suggestions. To clarify you're talking about a TENS unit and not a deep tissue massager like a Hitachi magic wand, right?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

can someone please explain why husky and golden retrievers are not on my apartments restricted list but Labrador retrievers are?

My wife works at a high end dog training center and golden retrievers are one of the most frequent breeds they get for "dog almost ate someone's face and will be put down if this doesn't work" cases.

I would guess it's either breed popularity to turn away existing dog owners or else they had some really bad experiences with lab owners in the past.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Goober Peas posted:

Amazon Prime + any variation of USPS = good luck seeing your package anytime soon

Lately the post office has been doing a much better job than Prestige ever did when Amazon was using them. Only time I got my packages on time from them was if I drove to the regional distribution warehouse and picked it up myself.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Moxie Omen posted:

A company is not a real person with feelings or a soul that cares about you in any way

Yeah, I can never understand why it's necessary to give two weeks' notice when you leave. When it's the other way around they sure as hell don't give you any prior notice.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bennyfactor posted:

Does it have some sort of inlet from outside the house or something?

My parents have had a wood stove since before I was born. Once you get it up to temperature you put it into "airtight" mode, where it reduces airflow and depending on the model sends the exhaust into a catalyst (typically referred to as "secondary combustion chamber.") If you put the work into collecting firewood all summer it's essentially a free heat source.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

What the hell ever happened to non-lethal force?

Now they use it casually to force compliance from suspects, rather than "as a last resort to deadly force."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

They actually allow someone to sign with an "X"? How asinine is that?

This is actually what is considered the legal minimum for a signature, at least in the US.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

it gives scale to how immense these giveaways are.

Sorry, programs that benefit the rich and businesses aren't classified as "giveaways" or "handouts." That only happens if the program benefits poors.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Irony: I just noticed that the cable between the router and my desktop is marked as CAT5 (no E) - and it still links at gigabit speeds. :iiam: It's only about a 25 ft cable though.

This is normal, if you were to transfer a large file you'd find the actual transfer speed is (probably) considerably lower than gigabit. You only need CAT-5E/6 if full duplex speed is a requirement or if your runs are near the maximum length .

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Raluek posted:

Isn't the spec that you're supposed to have no more than 1" of untwisted wire length across the whole run? It's something like that. I don't remember exactly.

This might be a concern if you're wiring up patch panels for an enterprise data center, but a little extra untwisted wire at the panel really isn't going to matter that much for home networking.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Depends on how it's wired up at the opposite end. Since CAT-5 isn't a standard cable for phones there really isn't going to be a wiring guide that will apply for every situation. I'd either backtrack the cable or else figure out which pair is connected with a volt meter. POTS only needs a single pair.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I don't think I'll really learn anything until I get to Network+

Honestly I'd skip network+ and go straight to a CCNA. You can do 90% of the labs with GNS3 and a self study guide and the other 10% with a cheap 2600 series router and 2950 managed switch, then pay $300 to sit for the 200-120 composite exam.

CCNA will land you a higher paying network administrator/engineer job a lot faster than net+.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Slow is Fast posted:

Most entry level certs are useless and we don't hire based upon certs or what trash tech school you went to.

I have zero certs and I turned out OK.

I generally agree with this, however the one caveat is certifications can help get you past non-technical HR drones who have been instructed to circle file any resume that doesn't include x certification.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mariooncrack posted:

I stopped off at the first/last rest stop on 80 in Indiana and there was nothing but a bathroom. Everything was boarded up and it looked like a ghost town/zombie movie.

If you were headed into/out of Ohio you should have stopped at the first/last service plaza there. The turnpike commission finally got off their rear end and rebuilt them on the ends of the turnpike instead of having the first rest stop travelers hit coming into the state being a shithole built in the mid-1950s, and not seriously remodeled since the Carter administration.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wrar posted:

My TMO Galaxy S4 has been increasingly unable to find it's SIM card randomly. Well, those bouts have gotten more and more frequent. In desperation, I flashed a rooted stock ROM. Storage encryption came up and then decided it couldn't see the SIM anymore. I'm done.

This was a known issue and you're likely hosed - the problem is the connector on the main board for the SIM/SD tray doesn't make a good connection. You could try gluing a small piece of an old credit card on top of the ribbon cable to try to add more pressure to keep it seated but this just delayed the inevitable when it happened to my wife's phone.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sir Pukesalot posted:

you just have to be sure to get the (black) 64 gig version, as it has no sd slot.

Why would you want a phone without expandable memory?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Oh, I misread your post - I thought you were saying only the black/64 GB version doesn't have external SD.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

In CA we have rust free cars, even ones made by communists in Italy.

OTOH here in the great lakes region we don't have to worry about where our next glass of water or shower is going to come from...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Noise Complaint posted:

Thankfully the 5 speed ones have a factory limited slip so you're not roasting one tire.

Are you sure they have a mechanical LSD? The ST with way more power doesn't have one - they use "torque vectoring" (ie, brake actuated traction control.) I can't imagine Ford putting a mechanical LSD in the normal manual Focus and not the performance model...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

he told me to brush up on my Microsoft stuff...other than general trouble shooting, what else should I brush up on?

Knowing your way around the MS family of operating systems & office applications and a rudimentary understanding of adding/maintaining users in Active Directory (which is basically adding/maintaining users on any flavor of Windows going back to 98SE/2000 with a few bells & whistles added) is what most people are looking for in an entry-level help desk position. If you haven't done that in recent memory there are plenty of "setting up a 2008/2012 domain and adding users to AD" videos on YouTube and if you know how to do virtualization you could set up a 2008/2012 server VM and play around with it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

nice, I'll have to look into that tonight.

I'm hoping it's more of a "hey write a bunch of batch scripts for us" kinda thing but I'll take the $20/hr no matter what

Well take my recommendation with a grain of salt. Hiring managers apparently still haven't got the message that the job market isn't what it was in 2008 and you can't ask for a master's degree, 10+ years experience and a dozen high-level certifications and expect a glut of applications for $35k/year.

I'm recently back in the job market (just had my position eliminated) and I've had a number of recruiters call, talk about how great my qualifications are and how I'm a shoe-in for whatever position but then say "by the way, you have a CCIE, right?" at the end of the call.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

glassdoor says the minimum for an intern is $23/hr

Jesus gently caress, I was working for HP at just under $20/hour as a full time/regular employee. Granted I got a company car out of the deal with a no questions asked gas card but still...I've recently come to the conclusion that I was being grossly underpaid and they did me a favor.

They offered me the "option" of interviewing for half of my old position (help desk only vs. help desk and system engineer) as a limited time employee through 2017, minus the car for a $3/hour pay cut. I told them to go gently caress themselves.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 27, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My wife has a S4 (free hand-me-down from a friend), it's still capable in the hardware department and does have external SD.

I'd say it all comes down to is a not-white phone worth $50?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

there's a pretty significant shortage of cj's up here so like I always say, if you're willing to deal with some downsides the upsides are pretty decent

like the low end sweng up here makes $75-90k depending on what they're doing

If I didn't have a mortgage tying me to the NE Ohio area I'd give it serious consideration. I've always enjoyed visiting the Detroit area and it's close enough to where the rest of my family is to make it practical.

The Locator posted:

I'd say you made the right choice.

A month into funemployment and this is the feeling I'm getting. My stress level is down 90%...the client I was working help desk at (Goodyear) was full of themselves and asked us questions like "can you refurbish our end-of-life equipment that we were too cheap to renew the service contract on or replace to the same specifications as the OEM?" and "why can't you treat every issue like it's an emergency?"

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Its actually 50 and the white phone, the maxx is black and free. So two points in its favor with a strong negative being if I was reading the sign correctly no expandable storage. I hate having to pick and choose which music makes the cut. But ghe white phone aspect is because as a mechanic everything i own gets blasted by grit and oil and it shows up a thousand times faster on white.

Ah, I read it as "S4 is $50, Maxx is $100."

I will say that if you throw the S4 into a decent case and use a screen protector the phone should look like new in a few years. When I turned my work-issued S3 in (which had spent it's entire life in an Otterbox) it appeared to be brand-new and the only major problem was the power button was flaking out. Also in the positive aspect field for the S4 is end-user replaceable battery and you can take it apart to replace individual components (like the camera or charging port) with a #00 phillips screwdriver which is good for longevity.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 27, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I just found out online reviews say the Droid Maxx has wireless inductive charging and if thats true of the model they have discounted thats simply too bad rear end to pass up, final nail in the S4 coffin :v:

You can add wireless charging to the S4 .

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Holy crap, RAM has come WAY down.

To bump my system from 8 to 16GB, using the exact same RAM I have now (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz), is now down to $58 shipped on Amazon.

If you think that's cheap you should have seen DDR3 prices in 2011. I bought 8 GB for my desktop for something like $35, and I'm still kicking myself for not ponying up another $25 at the time for 2x8 GB modules.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

they said I was the first candidate to be able to identify FireWire and IDE ports and cables lol

:stonk:

Jesus tapdancing christ why can't the job market be like that where I am...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Galler posted:

Missed fiber chat but here's $70/mo where I'm at:

No bandwidth cap and they're working on some infrastructure upgrades which will allow for 1 Gb/s down and 200Mb/s up for $80/mo. I got lucky with this house, if I had been a subdivision to the east I would have been stuck with Comcast.

Ffffff I pay more than that for 20 down/2 up cable...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I'll give it a shot when i get home.

I'm a god dammed luddite.

Go to settings > storage, press the menu button (capacitive button next to the physical home button at the bottom of the screen) and you should get a prompt for "USB computer connection" (or similar.) Press and it will give you a menu where you can check either "media device" or "camera device." It's possible to have neither checked, in which case nothing will happen when you connect to a PC.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full

Menu not available or option already checked?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Try rebooting the computer, or try another USB port. If it's plugged into a port on a media reader or on the front of the case try a port on the back that's directly connected to the system board.

Also might be worthwhile trying another USB cable...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Felt seriously ill on the way back from lunch. Blew chunks all over the job site. Went home. Pulled over twice on the highway and also barfed as soon I got home. What the gently caress!?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Holy gently caress I took too many drug last night. Coffee by the gallon trying to stay away. Still feel a little hosed up. Gonna be a long day.

:ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: job chat, got a call back this morning from a company I interviewed with on Monday for a network administrator position, they want me to come in for a second interview with their VP of operations next week.

Sounds like a pretty sweet gig, they do outsourced IT work for schools and said several times during the initial interview that a lot of my days would be working from home and they want to bring someone on board, get them up to speed and put them in charge of a team supporting a new client (sounds like a new charter school - said they have 12 locations across the state.)

• Locked thread