Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I never got the appeal of Netflix on my phone. TV, computer, and even maybe tablet if I'm feeling super lazy, but the phone screen is too small and battery life is too short.

I take my tablet to the gym so I can watch TV while I am on the treadmill.

Anyway, my uncle applied for citizenship nearly 15 years ago and yesterday we got the letter saying that his visa has been approved. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I bought a used mechanical keyboard from SA Mart awhile ago (This was my first mistake). The seller warned me that it would be dirty but holy poo poo I didn't expect it to be that dirty. I finally finished cleaning it out and I'm typing on it now. Probably will be giving it to my girlfriend in a few days.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Quite A Tool posted:

Ughhh gross. Did the PO leave some snacks in there for you?

He left a lot of...something. He said he left it in his mom's garage for the last few years so there was a lot of dust and dirt in there. Lots of hair too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Nope. Stepdad's 6 or 7 year old Samsung keeps going dark at random. If you turn it off and on it'll be fine for a bit, then goes dark after a random amount of time. Sometimes makes a crackling noise when it's turned on. Either way, sound keeps working, and if you shine a bright flashlight at the LCD, you can sort of see the picture. When the backlight works, it has a beautiful picture, but it goes completely dark at random.

My Samsung TV did something similar. There was an auto-dimming or auto-adjustment setting I had to turn off and then everything worked great.

Tusen Takk posted:

my fancy gaming mouse that i've had for five years broke on friday, so now i get to go to best buy and try to find a mouse that isn't tiny as hell and make my hand cramp after an hour

:rip: Razer Naga, thanks 4 all the useless buttons you piece of poo poo

I like my Logitech G700s but there's definitely extra buttons that I don't use or rather don't use often (don't play games that much).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

I need a good suggestion for a game to test out my new PC rig that's not crysis.

Look up the latest benchmarks for graphics cards and I'm sure they'll have a few games. I think the latest metro 2033 is still used for that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

The only reason I am packing this thing two days early is so I have a desk-like space to play Morrowind on.

Kind of a weird thing to ask, and I refer to STR as he seems to be the most experienced at cheesing cellphone data:

While I'm here at Bliss my phone has nearly no signal (sprint). It's an HTC M7. I do have very expensive internet through the local WiFi, but it supports one device only and I've tired MAC spoofing on my phone and that didn't work, so I have internet only on my SP3. Is there any way to do some sort of reverse usb tethering to my phone? It's rooted running whatever nightly of cyanogenmod (currently 12-20150404-NIGHTLY-m7spr) available.

I just have a few apps I want to download and set up, plus some other home automation things I have set that work only through my phone, as I was too lazy to set up things properly before being rushed on this deployment (they called me on a wednesday asking if I could leave the following monday).

Can you clarify what a SP3 is? My guess is the only way would be to create a hotspot using your SP3.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What's wrong with cottage cheese? Isn't it a pretty good source of protein?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I really hope that you change your mind about telling your wife about telling your wife to lose weight. You can support and try to motivate her all you want but unless she wants to do it herself, nothing is going to change.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I know I'm a bit late but I finally finished the Office.

I loved the ending. I thought it was fitting.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I saw fast and furious. I thought it was a lot of fun to watch. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be as good at home though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There was an application that allowed you to move steam games between drives. Anything I was currently playing I kept on my ssd and moved it off of there when I started something else.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I can't remember the details but my friend took his car to Wal mart for an oil change once. There was a hole in the oil pan and they just patched it up without telling him. He drove 200 miles and found out that his car was pissing oil. Luckily, he got them to pay for the repair.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is tired of driving my GTI and wants a crossover for her next car. :(

Her criteria is:
- takes 87 octane
- is a crossover
- automatic
- cute

So I'm thinking probably Rav4 or CRV or Forester or something similar. Any recommendations?

Mazda CX5?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

gently caress that noise, just walk out dude. None of that matters or is worth getting hosed over like that for. Burn that bridge and never look back.
Though I am curious about the grease trap bit, cause I've had to clean one before. :argh:

In other news, I sent an email with my two weeks notice to the franchise owner I had been doing maintenance work for, and still have yet to hear from him. Lol.
Oh well, I've quit, and he can deal with it. Right now I'm sitting at home watching King of the Hill, prepping for my big job interview, and it Feels So Good.

This is all I can think of when people mention Donkey Kong now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTj7NSHVwSk

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Clear the cache?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

I'll agree with the Thrawn trilogy and it certainly kick started Star Wars popularity once again quite rightly - but Jedi Search? gently caress NO, that was awful!

I guess "I, Jedi" isnt too bad and Rouge Squdron had some readable stuff. However Anything by Kevin J Anderson isnt worth wiping my rear end with, poo poo like the Sun Crusher was an insult to the intelligence.

Was that the author who loved the Death Star and all of the super weapons? It was okay the first time he did it but two or three books later it got old.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

Welp. Just wasted $60 on GTA V. Turns out I do not have a 64 bit system after all.
Oh well, I need an excuse to upgrade, so here we are. Been doing some shopping too. I think it's time for a total new PC build.

If you have Windows 7 and your key laying around, you can reinstall Windows 7 64-bit with the same key. It should work fine. Not sure about Windows 8.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

It's capable, but my build is close to 9 years old at this point, and is finally starting to chug under some new games, so I figure it's time to upgrade some of the hardware.
Looks I'm for about $700 build or so. If I can another 9-10 years of a new build, I;ll be happy.

If you do a complete rebuild, I'm sure your current system would work well as a HTPC.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I got out of the gym and my Outback failed to turnover. Twice.

Cars with ~11k miles aren't supposed to do that are they? :ohdear:

On the plus side, I was able to install a new head unit in a car yesterday. I know it's not super difficult but it was the first time doing it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I really hate networking.

I have three computers. One is like a server box, another is a htpc and the last is my main computer. I can connect to my server box from my main computer via UPNP but not the from the htpc. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. My server and htpc are both running Linux. I'm guessing it's some sort of firewall issue on my htpc but I have no idea what. I don't even think it's running a firewall.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Latest regular car reviews is up. It's a grand national this week.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sigma X posted:

I am now, after two years of contracting, an official Cisco employee. Time for a new car!

Congrats!

I'm currently on my way to Chicago. 80 is boring.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I stopped off at the first/last rest stop on 80 in Indiana and there was nothing but a bathroom. Everything was boarded up and it looked like a ghost town/zombie movie.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
For what it's worth, I bought a TV from Newegg and it arrived with a giant crack. They shipped a replacement no questions asked and picked up the old one.

My friend who I bought it for was less understanding.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you're willing to look at a phablet, check out the nexus 6.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sigma X posted:

That trend is driving me batty. I wear size large gloves, if my thumb can't reach all the way across a phone's screen while holding it comfortably, IT'S TOO loving LARGE. It's at the point where I'm not going to be able to keep up with current mobile technology without lugging a surfboard-sized "phone" around with me.

Yeah, I don't blame you. Before I got my oneplus one, I didn't think I wanted a phablet but it's really nice and I got used to the size really fast.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sigma X posted:

I bought my girlfriend a OnePlus One. I hate using the thing.

Because of the size? The software leaves a little to be desired. A lot of the appeal for me is being able to develop for it though. I'm trying to move from my QA job to development.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Locator posted:

I like QA. I get paid good money to make fun of other peoples mistakes.

I like QA too and the people that I work with but I have a bachelor's in computer science and I'm bored with QA. The extra money would be nice too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I just drove from Chicago to Bloomington, IN. Driving through Indiana mostly sucks but the parts around Bloomington seem nice.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Its actually 50 and the white phone, the maxx is black and free. So two points in its favor with a strong negative being if I was reading the sign correctly no expandable storage. I hate having to pick and choose which music makes the cut. But ghe white phone aspect is because as a mechanic everything i own gets blasted by grit and oil and it shows up a thousand times faster on white.

Are you getting these phones on contract?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Yeah, but I've been on a Verizon family plan with the same phone number since 2003 at a fairly decent price, and Verizon has pretty great coverage. So I wasnt seeing any reason not to, and like I said even subsidised I dont want or need a $200 next gen wonderphone.

They still offer the S4? I understand that you don't want the latest and greatest but the S4 is two years old now. It may work today but with another possible update, if it gets one, may cripple the phone. Newer apps will become more demanding as time goes on and I can't imagine that the S4 will age gracefully.

I'd say if you're going to get a phone on contract, get a phone that's no older than 1 generation behind. I'd recommend a S5 or maybe a HTC M8. I'm on ATT so I don't know too many things about Motorola phones. I don't really trust them tbh after my last Motorola phone never got a single update and the one that was planned got canceled on the last possible day. This was years ago and things may have changed.

EDIT: You should check out those Verizon Edge plans. Sometimes, you can end up a little ahead when buying the phone after the two year contract. You don't need a top of the line phone but if you're going to be using it everyday all day, maybe it's better to get something better.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 27, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
poo poo, that's rough. I hope she's doing better.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Did you enable android debugging? I think I had to before before my phone showed up on my computer.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Fucknag posted:

Calc and Statistics finals today, Calc also has a take home portion over the weekend, plus studying for statics, PLUS trying to practice for this community orchestra my mom and sister pressured me into attending

STRESS LEVEL MAXIMUM BRING THE COCAINE BOYS LETS loving GO

Just curious, what instrument do you play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Fucknag posted:

Trombone, though I've been out of practice since like 2007. Killer on the lips trying to get used to playing again.

I sort of know the feeling. I stopped playing Viola for a few years and then tried to pick it up again. It took some very long practice sessions to get me back to where I was.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Got a vaguely-worded call today to go help one of the guys I supervise at work - apparently he was having some sort of crisis and needed to leave immediately. I shrug my shoulders because workplace drama is a daily Thing, go to find him and he's turned inside-loving out... I get him in the truck with me, and between sobs he tells me that his little brother just got shot

:stare:

I threw an arm around him and took him to his car without asking any questions, but from what I gathered it was fatal. Don't know the kid in question, but my coworker is a super nice down-on-his-luck kinda guy who I've always liked. I do not get paid nearly enough to counsel people in the depths of grief asking me "what do I do? this isn't real! this isn't happening!". An excellent way to start my three-day weekend.

You did the best you could and nobody would expect you to be able counsel anyone in grief.

• Locked thread