Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So what's a good outfit to wear for a job interview with a trade? I have an interview tomorrow morning for an HVAC/Electrician company and I've never interviewed with such a company.

Usually my interview attire is a white dress shirt, black dress pants, black dress shoes. (And a tie based on the company) Is that too formal for something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

For a service Tech postion.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'll save those pro-tips for the mechanical contractor I REALLY want to get a job with. :v:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 10, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, if your system is icing up you either have a leak, or a problem with your TVX valve or something. Your evaporator is being starved, and that's what causes the ice. Either way, it's probably something that'd be easier to take care of, cause as stated above, refrigerant ain't getting any cheaper. Refrigerant doesn't just vanish, systems should never really need to be topped off for the entire life of the system if it's installed right.

If its an R-22 system and you have gauges, you low side should be around 68.5 psig. The high side you'll have to calculate with a pressure temperature conversion, but it should be ambient + 30 or so. For any other refrigerant, you can figure it out the same way too, your evaporator is supposed to be running at 40 degrees, so take that and convert it to the correct pressure, and there you go.

STR: Any modern system is going to be charged with a 4-series blend. 410A is most common for split-system residential use. Most fridges use R-134a, though commercial stuff tends to run 404 or so. Also, the gauges should be the same size, 1/4 fittings. Unless you bought hoses with the quick-disconnects permanently attached.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 10, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, Ice makers tend to run 404 usually. It has a higher boiling temp, so it can make ice more easily. 0 Degrees at 33 psig.

And yeah, that's a sketchy "handiman" Refrigerants decompose into phosgene, among other things .Plus the venting thing isn't great either.
As far as time spent vacuuming goes that doesn't matter so much, if he has a proper gauge with a micron reader, and it gets below 500 microns, he's good to go. On a small system that's properly brazed up it can pull down quite quickly. Something tells me none of the above applies to him though. :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, those ultra-low units are run by what's called a cascade system. You have one refrigeration circuit that cools the condenser of another, which in turn can cool another condenser, and that's how you get -100 type units. And each system runs a different refrigerant.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I went to my interview this morning, felt like I bombed it, and they said they had more candidates to interview, and would call me later this afternoon to let me know.

Not even two hours later I get a call from them, I got the job! :toot:

It's not the job I was hoping to get, and I still have an interview with a larger, hopefully higher paying outfit this week, but this means I can put my two weeks in at Qdoba.
NO MORE COOKING OR WASHING DISHES :toot: :toot: gently caress YES!!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I dont think I've ever been more tempted to walk out. It's been busy, the bitchiest manager is here, and I really don't need this job anymore. And seriously, gently caress washing dishes and cooking at the same time.

I'm not going to, cause I'm not a dick, but it's tempting

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Moxie Omen posted:

I don't want to be a dick to my company*

* A company is not a real person with feelings or a soul that cares about you in any way

No gently caress the company. I don't give two shots about them, and they don't care about me.

But I don't want to screw over my co-workers/ friends. Plus I'd still like to be able to get burritos in the future.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

angryhampster posted:

My grass is delightfully green and tomorrow shall be the first mowing day of the year. I can't wait. I love mowing. The smell is excellent and fresh cut grass turns my dogs' paws green.

This is something I miss where I currently live, no lawn to mow. Moving is great, get on the mower, zone out and relax, and enjoy the smell of fresh cut grass.
Nothing better.

In short:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I picked up some lemon scented shaving cream and after shave today, and just took it for a spin. Feels amazing and smells so good.
Guess I found my new summer shaving combo.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

some texas redneck posted:

I'm just stupid angry right now.

So I put in my 2 weeks notice at Jet's. They also have my school schedule and availability.

Availability is 30 hours a week, but at max, 4 days a week. Since I put in my 2 weeks, I've been hit with 45 hours a week, 6 days a week.

I'm only doing the 2 weeks out of courtesy - I don't plan to list them on my resume anyway.

The GM has been incredibly passive aggressive since I put in my 2 weeks notice. Demanding I clean out the grease trap (you need a license for that), actually yelled at me for washing produce before slicing it, constantly having drivers skip me, that kind of poo poo. The produce bit may or may not earn him a visit from the health department.

The asst mgr is the only one I trust, and the only one I talk to outside of work. I have a few days left in my final 2 weeks, just informed asst mgr that I don't plan to finish the 2 weeks, but I respect him too much to walk out on his shift. I already have shifts at Pizza Hut this week anyway, and my GM there has already been bugging me to come in if I'm not working, since he's been swamped. He took 30 deliveries himself during dinner rush last night, where I might take 21 on an open to close at Jet's. I'm already supposed to have shifts at the two (the GM at Jet's would fire my rear end so quick if he knew), with an hour between them.

I'm not going to finish the 2 weeks. I think my last day will be Wednesday, at best.

gently caress that noise, just walk out dude. None of that matters or is worth getting hosed over like that for. Burn that bridge and never look back.
Though I am curious about the grease trap bit, cause I've had to clean one before. :argh:

In other news, I sent an email with my two weeks notice to the franchise owner I had been doing maintenance work for, and still have yet to hear from him. Lol.
Oh well, I've quit, and he can deal with it. Right now I'm sitting at home watching King of the Hill, prepping for my big job interview, and it Feels So Good.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, in good-ish news, I had my big interview with the large mechanical contractor around here. Turns out the guy interviewing me was one of the judges I met at the SkillsUSA contest a few months back, which I had won, so that made feel better.

I basically got the job, just have to wait for them to run an insurance check, piss test, and background check, and I'm good to go. Starting out as a Jr. Mechanic. (AKA Tool carrying bitch.) But the good part is it's easy to move up, I have a glowing recommendation from my instructor, and the guy seems to like me, so should be smooth sailing.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

T-Square posted:

So I just saw a Fisker Karma on my way home a few minutes ago, and I just realized: I haven't seen one of those, let alone heard the name Fisker, in at least a year or so. Did they just drop off the face of the earth? Did they get shoved out of the way by Tesla or something?

I think after all those cars caught on fire when NYC flooded they pretty much called it quits. I don't think they were selling particularly well to begin with either.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

As If I didn't already have enough reasons not to go to work anymore, I'm downloading GTA V now. Just 5 more hours!

'Course, I have work tonight and have to be back at 8AM, so I don't even get to play it tonight. :saddowns:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Obviously the best answer is the Cayenne. The Cayenne GTS that is. :getin:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Welp. Just wasted $60 on GTA V. Turns out I do not have a 64 bit system after all.
Oh well, I need an excuse to upgrade, so here we are. Been doing some shopping too. I think it's time for a total new PC build.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

mariooncrack posted:

If you have Windows 7 and your key laying around, you can reinstall Windows 7 64-bit with the same key. It should work fine. Not sure about Windows 8.

Yeah, the issue is the key is at my parent's house somewhere. I haven't seen that disk for 8 years.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Raluek posted:

True for Vista, too. Probably true for 8, since I think they came with one key and two discs in the box.

If you don't have the key, but bought Windows (i.e. it wasn't preinstalled) you can use Produkey or jellybean keyfinder to pull it out of the registry. If it's an OEM preinstall, there are other methods, but they're more complicated.

Assuming your hardware is capable of 64-bit?

It's capable, but my build is close to 9 years old at this point, and is finally starting to chug under some new games, so I figure it's time to upgrade some of the hardware.
Looks I'm for about $700 build or so. If I can another 9-10 years of a new build, I;ll be happy.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I pretty much officially got the job with Performance Air. Higher pay than the other job I applied at and more of an opportunity to move up.

Plus its mostly refrigeration instead of ductwork. No hot house atttics. Yay!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I guess eBay's got some kinda heavy machinery auction going on. Of all the times to be broke. :(

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just got a ticket for blowing a red light. The cop only knew I blew it cuz he did too and we passed each other at the same time through the light. Fucker made a U'ie in the middle of traffic to mab me too.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? 'Cause running a red light is a capital A-rear end in a top hat offense.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I'm at the hotel on my skillsusa thing and my contest is tomorrow. I had a whole day of basically paid for vacation.

Spent all day watching Fast N Loud and eating junk food on the schools dime.

Day well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I had my first day as a refrigeration tech today. First call of the day was a Red Robin with a busted reach in.

I QUIT THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY BUT IT JUST KEEPS DRAGGING ME BACK.

In other news the job was pretty awesome, got to work on some cool machines, and the day went by faster than any job I've had in the last 6 years.

• Locked thread