Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CommieGIR posted:

Cattesnake?

I used to have a couple of catsnakes... :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Finallyyyyyyyyyyy got around to hitting up the heritage motor museum the other day. Excuse the photo quality, I dropped my phone a million times and forgot to take a proper camera. :/

The concept XJ220

Classic E type.

Batshit track E with widebody and side exits... <3

Mini mobility scooter

Also what surprised me was the amount of cars that Rover put together in the 50s/60s that were powered by a gas turbine engine. There were 3 in the museum. 3. I know other manufacturers played with the idea but there was generally just the one model. Rover put out 3? It was weird.

This BRM was entered in Le Mans...

quote:

The first test runs were at the MIRA track in April 1963, driven by Graham Hill who described it thus, “You’re sitting in this thing that you might call a motor car and the next minute it sounds as if you’ve got a 707 just behind you, about to suck you up and devour you like an enormous monster.”

A prize was to be awarded for the first gas turbine car to complete 3,600 km over the 24 hours, an average speed of 93 mph. The 3,600 km figure was achieved with hours to spare, and with peak speeds down the Mulsanne Straight exceeding 140 mph. The overall averages were of 107.8 mph and 6.97 mpg. As the only car in its class it was unplaced, but its performance by a petrol engined car would have placed it in 8th place.

Also found my new favourite car. 1953 Allard P2 Safari station wagon. 6 seats, about half a mile long, swoopy arches, WOOD, rear facing seats in the back and a roof that looks like a convertible but it's just a leather coating over the roof?! It's so beautifully weird and looked amazing in green. Only 10 were ever made, only 4 are still around and there's a white one for sale for £50k.

I need £50k. It's just so cool in person. The ultimate cruiser :3:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I shipped a package at USPS after work the other day and they loving shipped it to my house instead of the person I shipped it to!

That's pretty impressive.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Taco Box posted:

Kina E/N here, but I feel really off the last few days. Hours at work are short and I'm on a different machine doing e-beam welding instead of CMM. It's interesting work but it's not what I want to do with my life. I finished up all these projects over my 4 day weekend and I just feel such ennui about everything. I feel this longing and nostalgia and I have no idea what for. One phrase keeps coming into my head "I want to just go home". I am home. My wife is here, my cats are here, my whole life is here and just want to go home. I have no idea WTF is going on with me. I have been running more just to keep the depression at bay. I had really severe depression diagnosed about a decade ago, but I couldn't afford to keep going to therapy and pay for the meds (Wellbutrin) and I had to quit cold turkey. I found that the only thing that brings me up is exercise, and booze. I've had a pretty bad five year bout with alcoholism. I get hangovers within an hour of having a drink now, and I have no money for booze anymore. I spent my last nickel on parts for the miata's top and now I am so tapped out I have no idea how I'm gonna pay the bills this month. I guess I have to sell some bicycles again :smith:

I'll leave you with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJVQJ4-n_cA
It's how I feel, even the notes describe my mood. I wish I had some wine. I guess I'll go to bed. Sorry to take your time guys, I feel so adrift :qq:

Take our time? Pff, I (and others, I'm sure) come here to read some words and maybe escape a few more minutes of work/other crap I/we probably should be doing in life so you really don't have to worry about 'taking' our time to vent a bit.

This line:

quote:

I feel this longing and nostalgia and I have no idea what for.

I am so with you on this. It's really weird, it's like somewhere in the back of my head I know what I want but it won't come to the front and reveal itself so I can actually get my head down and work towards it. It's not cool. Outside of that, depression messes with you in a variety of less than wonderful ways so you have my sympathy but don't keep it all bottled up, talk to someone, especially your wife about how you're feeling.

In ending I would like to offer you the Fred Falke remix to the above track because Fred Falke is wonderful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLIYkV96Qic

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Reminds me of the ship from the 80s cartoon Ulysses 31 (which nobody ever remembers despite it being dope as hell)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You Am I posted:

I remember watching it as a kid in the 80s

...do you remember the soundtrack being loving amazing? 56 seconds of pure :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h7Koco4wnU

Also to your man with the chubby wife, you know her better than anyone how she'll take you just bluntly mentioning she's fat. Losing weight is diet related though so as you're losing at the moment and feeling better maybe suggest looking into adjusting what you both eat on a day to day basis? She'd basically have to do zero work and she'd still lose weight, also you get to eat tasty food and maybe learn some cooking skills on the way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

I know it's a broken record in this place but holy hell, what kind of demonic possession are some of these people that post on Tumblr on? The absolute shitstorm of crazy honestly had me reaching for a crucifix. Otherkin and gently caress me the hole just goes waaaaaaay deeper from there.

I just blocked that whole shitstorm at the routers at work. We were wondering what someone was spending their time on and dear Lord, I'm regretting reading what pages they were. Hey, this is Something Awful and you do see a lot of hosed up messes as a result if you venture to FYAD and GBS and who the gently caress knows elsewhere (and of course sys admins see the firewall logs. I'm no stranger to some hosed up things people read on IT networks) but this....... I'm not joking, I honestly consider Tumblr proof positive demons are real and they are possessing people. This is just plain next level insanity.

There's nowt so queer as folk.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Went for a chat/mini interview last month, only just got a reply back today as the guy doing it wasn't sure what jobs were popping up.

quote:

I would encourage you to keep an eye out for contract positions that may suit your skills, as you interviewed very well, however I don't have anything suitable at this time.

Waiting is rubbish but at least I know I didn't gently caress up monumentally!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've always wanted to gut the speaker system in one of those and pop in some new and improved stuff, maybe add a few new bits but hidden so it still looks as it left the factory god knows how many years ago.

Also my housemate is amazing. Him and his girlfriend are both er, 'larger' of physique, and she's been on slimming world but seen no results so she's on weight watchers now. He's gotten plumper since they met so they're both on it now. He posted on facebook earlier that they were off out for pizza and ice cream and one of our mutual friends replied "Diet's going well then?!" which made me laugh. Housemate had the cheek to reply "Awesome!" when he' just brought home a dozen danishes and has had takeaway for the past 3 nights as well as several buckets of popcorn and a million other snacks.

I get lying to other people but why lie to yourself? Some people just must love setting themselves up to fail because it's just easier than making any effort to change their situation. It makes me sad, he's become super boring since meeting her and they just sit about the house eating and watching crap sci-fi. :/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

It's completely unfair. Compared to your housemate, my eating habits are positively saintly. No fast food, no soda, no empty carbs, that sort of thing. Cake etc. is limited to a slice once or twice per month whenever there's a birthday or something. I do crossfit 2-3 times per week.

And yet I just can't get rid of this damned belly fat, and I can't seem to get below 95kg or a 100cm waist at all. It's aggravating as gently caress.

...you could just eat like a sparrow, gently caress off the crossfit and become a mushy bag of man. Alternatively eat all the protein and become a mountain of man muscle?

I just don't get it, he lost loads of weight before she turned up but because she's the size of a small house and eats whenever she's upset (which is alllllll the time) he's just followed suit and now he's up to ~120kg. We used to go rock climbing once a week and when he first did it he was done within 15 minutes but as the weeks rolled past he got pretty decent at it and was getting stronger, he'd never have won any competitions but he enjoyed it and it meant he wasn't eating like a tramp. Then he met her, stopped and piled more weight back on. He asked recently if I wanted to go climbing again and I told him "Oh definitely!" and that was that. :/

Also STR, I hope you get your poo poo straight soon. Certainly doesn't sound like a fun time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not like I'm some wheezing fatso weakling who almost dies every time he has to take the stairs. I deadlift 150kg, but bodyweight exercises gently caress me up because of the extra 15kg or so I'm carrying around.

And my diet is already reasonably protein heavy (because I loving love chicken), so I dunno. I've tried counting calories on a typical day, and it doesn't seem like that's the issue. I hardly ever snack, and when I do, it's from the fruit basket at work, so apples and stuff.

I do have a habit of skipping breakfast, I'll have to work on that.

Yeah skipping breakfast isn't great though that's what I do and I've weighed roughly the same since forever (78kg). I have jeans from 11 years ago that still fit me today which is awesome/terrible depending on how you look at it.

T-Square posted:

God damnit, someone in the Post Your Recent Purchases thread bought a KTM 690 SMC R.

I want a KTM 690 SMC R. :argh:

Same here.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I.......... don't have a preference when it comes to women though I admittedly have a soft spot for redheads.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fo3 posted:

With all this talk of women and now fire, I suddenly got the urge to listen to ministry.
I might get a SIM card for a phone soon and get back to the real world. None of this modern poo poo. Might fire up the old nokia 8250* so I can get bailed out when I break down (broke down twice last year - flat battery, out of fuel), loving hard to find a public phone these days....

* pretty sweet, nearly instantly on when you turn it on, makes phone calls.

The only reason I have a smartphone is because work handed me one. My personal phone is an old Nokia C2 because I don't need anything more...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fjelltorsk posted:

I am a complete and utter retard. I felt pretty good today, and after watching Paris-Roubaix i got the itch. I told myself that the doctors told me that light excercise was a good way to regain some energy. So... this is the result https://www.strava.com/activities/284110311 not to impressive compared to what i did before, or compared to cat terrist and the other bike riders in this forum. But i had to lay down in the shower and i feel like a truck is parked on my tigh. felt good when i was out there tho.

if i am not completly destroyed tomorrow i might be able to get a few rides a week in. that would help my mental state like nothing else. I want to fight this poo poo being active and putting the hurt on, not loving lying in bed and complaining like i have been doing lately.

Yeah LIGHT exercise so 18 miles on the bike with 600m of climbing.......? Nah bruv, take it easy your body is already being beaten to poo poo without you adding more hurt!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I almost got killed today.

A mate and I were walking back to a hotel after going out for lunch, and just as we rounded the corner of the building, there was a massive smashing sound, and we turned to see a pile of broken glass and bent metal about 5 yards behind us. It was a full-size 4'x3' double-glazed window unit from the hotel. It had fallen out directly above us, and if the wind hadn't given it a bit of horizontal impetus, it would have landed right on top of us. From the 13th floor (Room 13 on the 13th floor, no less :staredog:).

Needless to say, we decided we needed a stiff drink.

Lottery ticket bought, yeah? gently caress.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

I don't get why the owner doesn't use a professional instead of a handyman, especially on $10,000 pieces of equipment.

Generally if someone makes a lovely business decision it's usually related to saving money. ...and as you've seen here, this always bites them in the rear end and it's great.

LloydDobler posted:

One of the more fun parts about growing up always working on bikes and cars was developing great finger dexterity, then shocking and/or impressing girls I was dating by undoing their bra with one hand, without any advice or time needed. The funniest however was when I encountered my first front clasp, which I didn't know existed at the time. I sat fidgeting for like 2 minutes on the seam and care tag in the back, with her knowing the whole time what was going on and basically tormenting me. When she finally whispered "it's in the front" it took me about half a second to snap it open and by then it was like boob Christmas.

"Do you need some hel-" *bra is open*

:smuggo:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I just really can't be arsed to go to the gym these days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Join some kind of team or class, and/or get some workout buddies. It really helps when you can motivate each other.

I hate people. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I am a horrible misanthrope and consider the vast majority of the population to be mouthbreathing oxygen-wasters who should just shut the gently caress up with their moronic blathering and stop being goddamn idiots all the time.

Even so, I think the people at my local gym are absolutely great workout buddies, and I genuinely look forward to going there, just because I like working out with them.

The gym I use is on work campus (a university) and it's always full of dickhead students and they refit the entire gym and made the weights area smaller which means....

The Jabberwocky posted:

Me too. Buy a bench or a cage for your garage/bedroom and use the guilt of spending the money to force you to work out. Works wonders for me :v:

...this is probably going to have to be the way to go. I have considered it. Need to move house first though, current garage is old, leaky and packed to the gills with all my speaker kit. It's not like I don't get exercise, I do a solid 50 miles a week on the bike but it's all spinny leg work. Need to throw some weight about the joint. I really need to go check out this other gym in town which looks like it's populated by strongmen, if anything they'll kick my arse into going.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Ugh, that sucks.

I'm so glad the only machines at the gym I go to are rowing machines. Everything else is free weights, kettlebells, sleds, ropes, big fuckoff tractor tires and big fuckoff hammers, that sort of thing. We even have lifting platforms for proper olympic lifts :smug:

I want all of that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I have a 1.75" hole saw - tried to use it on a fresh battery, and got about half an inch down before the battery died. :argh:

Hole cutters murder batteries as you've found out. And it's really really reallllllllllllly annoying if you don't have a spare battery or if your spare takes hours to charge.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Sounds like you need some non-poo poo power tools and batteries. We only use Milwaukee and Hilti at work.

Pro level tooling. I approve.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Taco Box posted:

So, what kind of music is this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDl_BH6cxuw because I really like it. I'm willing to say it's trap, but OMFG, this poo poo is trill as gently caress in my miata.

Yeah it's trapish but trap has rolling high hats and 808s out the rear end...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Double post.

Anyone ever used those HDMI extenders that run over CAT5e? Since I'm doing so much wiring anyway, I'm giving serious thought to (a) installing a recessed power outlet behind the TV and (b) running HDMI from a wall jack behind the desk up to the TV. I have just enough romex left, and I'm going to have several hundred feet of cat5e left over once I'm done.

It's a 720p TV.

We use Extron senders at work as the other stuff we've tried can be hit or miss, mostly miss. These are good for 100m of Cat5 and a variety of resolutions though will only do 1080p up to 30m like a lot of them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I worked for a guy that had one of the first R8s in the UK. I went to his house to check some kit and asked him how he was enjoying it...

"Well I was really loving driving it until it died..."

Turns out one of the chips that controls the engine management system had gone kaput so it was dead. How long did it take them to sort the problem? 8 weeks. Next time I went round he no longer had an R8...

In other news it's midday Saturday and I'm going to the gym to lift weights because I've just booked a holiday mid June and I need to look my best while strutting around in my pink kitten swimming trunks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

So, just a reminder: today is Record Store Day!

I didn't even have to attend today, one of my friends is an avid collector of vinyl and he grabbed me a copy of this without even asking if I wanted it. He just knew.

What a guy. :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

blk posted:

My landlord tossed me the keys to his M100 Elan tonight and we took it out through some twisties - anyone who poopoos this car because it's FWD should really drive it before judging. Zero torque steer, zero understeer, insane amount of grip and stability - I was going through corners much faster than I had any right to and certainly faster than the Miata. So. Much. Fun.

I've always liked the look of these and they sell over here for £5k+ so not exactly expensive...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm a Dane.

So yeah, duh.

(I haven't watched the American remake, I'm just making poo poo up. Enjoy whichever version you like best.)

I have the Danish one to watch because I'm one of those people that loving hates it when the US remakes something pointlessly because most Americans are too scared to read words on a screen.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

General_Failure posted:

So I just had a potentially terrible idea. I've got the remains of a Honda Elite 50(?)cc two stroke scooter sitting around. Would it be feasible to Frankenstein some of it into the early Chinese mini chopper? Some fucknut hacked out 90% of the chopper's wiring and only left the most basic of the ignition and starting circuit intact. I'm thinking that maybe I could nick most of the Honda's loom to graft in. I wish I could steal the brakes too but that seems a bit difficult.

Comedy option: Straighten out the handlebars on the Honda and stuff an old two stroke lawnmower motor in it and use it also for bush bashing.

Option three is sell off any parts that are worthwhile on the Honda. Forgot to mention, it's missing the cylinder barrel / head and some trim.

It's your duty as a man to piss about with it and create something stupidly awesome.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Stock is a regular Honda Ruckus but as mentioned, you can customise them and have them look really cool in comparison to 'regular' scooters.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

All the expense of owning a motorcycle with none of the fun or utility! There's a group here that rides the same roads we do outside of town ... except they roll out there at like 40mph.

I mean some of them seem alright and I support whatever crazy rear end motorcycle-related activities you wanna do but nothing about that sounds fun to me. Spending 3g's on a ruckus just to drop at least a thousand more into a Yosh exhaust and extended swingarm and stretched tires and gently caress just buy a real motorcycle and go have some fun.

It's not always about going fast. Look at the ridiculous amount of Vespa/Lambretta owners that use them on the weekend to go hundreds of miles and invariably have them break down. It's fun to just tootle around on the streets with your friends. Yeah if you want fast then you'd be dumb as hell to buy a Ruckus but they're completely different markets. That and they make more sense in Japan/Europe than the US because your roads are mostly boring as poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 27, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Baller Witness Bro posted:

They make more sense in Europe and Japan owing to the crazy licensing structure there, sure. I don't really trust most of the kids doing the mods to be honest; I never like to see tires stretched to their limit on any vehicle.

If that means I see less kids parking these things at 40mph in the turns that we do have, that's ok. As I said in my original post, I understand customizing awkward/unusual bikes is what some people enjoy however it's just not for me. Essentially CommieGIR summed it up by saying they're a lot of money for the return, like most vehicular hobbies.

Yeah I'm not a fan of stretching tyres stupidly but it's 'scene' so it'll happen. Also I'd rather kids piss their money away on bikes and maybe learn how they work than end up down a bar every weekend quite literally pissing their cash up the wall or snorting coke... At least they have something to show for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fo3 posted:

You say that, but my phone is currently a nokia 8250 from 2000, so I'm a super luddite, or hipster apparently, when it comes to phones.
If I need the internet or "social media"*, I'll use my laptop or buy a tablet.
I gave any last hurrah nokia smart phones or android phones away 2 years ago.
The 8250 is small, light, strong, long battery life and that's all I need for phone calls or SMS.

* :lol: , I don't want extra exposure to "professional" media, let alone hear what average dumb people have to say 24/7

I roll with one of these which the screen is cracked in two places on and I've dropped and exploded the case/battery all over the floor a million times or more by now.

I'm supplied an iphone from work and I loving hate the thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fo3 posted:

Is that a slide phone? How is it still working? I went through a fair few nokia and samsung sliders years ago and they all broke pretty quickly.
Before I switched to android, the last nokia I had was a c7 which still works as it wasn't a slider.

How is it still working? It's a Nokia...! Non-joke answer is it doesn't really get used much because I much like yourself, don't like talking too much. It's battered and beaten and like I said has been dropped soooooooooo many times but it seems ridiculously solid and well built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Super Aggro Crag posted:

God drat I have no will-power. Just dropped $65 on a blast white NGC MS63 1904-O Morgan Dollar even though my rent and utilities (and weed) are all due today. I have enough money to pay it all but it basically leaves me with just enough money for groceries and gas until next pay day. Impulse purchases suck when you are in tons of debt and live paycheck to paycheck but I had to scratch the itch. At least it is shiny. :heysexy:

Buying a dollar for $65?

• Locked thread