Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Some bugger decided to jump infront of a train thismorning in North London and my 1 1/2 hour journey to work therefore took 5 hours. Due to this I finished a half day at work at 9:20pm and have only just managed to find my lovely hotel and get some food.
45 mins of drinking time left now to improve my day before a long catch up day tomorrow.
I am in Elephant and Castle in London and it appears to be a shithole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Elmnt80 posted:

Today someone asked me if they should pour a gallon of lacquer thinner into their gas tank as a way to clean their catalytic converter and injectors. It wasn't an april fools joke. :(

Possibly not total bollocks.

Some cellulose thinner is basically Toluene (I can buy anti bloom cellulose thinners which is 95% toluene)

The main ingredient in many octane boosters in toluene - so the right cellulose thinners also works as octane booster (I use it in my saab turbo and it works as well as proper octane booster at like 10% of the price)

It also looks like from my googling that toluene is an ingredient in some injector/fuel system cleaners - so if you use the right stuff in the right quantities it might actually work!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it cleans anything, though, it'd get as far as the fuel system and no more. Maaaaybe it might act a bit like seafoam and take some carbon off the back of the intake valve. But once it gets burned and dumped out the exhaust, I don't see it doing anything to the cat that regular exhaust doesn't already do.

Sorry - I meant as an injector cleaner it might work. I can't imagine anything can clean a cat out?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Righto, UK goons! I need Hammerite paint, in satin black, in or around Leicester. Anyone know if it's possible to beat B&Q's £17/L they come out as on the half-gallon tins?

Check Screwfixes prices for both Hammerite and their own brand screwfixerite

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Went to a beer festival in my small town/village with a mate. Drank 10 halves of random beer without getting a minging one. Score. (likely gonna pay for this in the AM anyway tho)

Also managed to make some friends of my own kind of age who live within 1/4 mile of me and were not related to anyone I know and seemed fun. Have only lived here 7 years.., things are looking up! I thought the average age of my area was 65+

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Not a good day for tyres and airlines in my house today. Wanted to move one of my project cars back into the garage. Came to blow the tyres up before I did it as one was a bit low and found my airline had perished and it popped at the end the first time I used it making it tricky to use.

Moved the car about half a metre and the sidewall on the tyre I had just pumped up blew out. First time I have ever had a full blow out since 1997 when I ran over a brick in the road in my first week of driving.

Grabbed a spare wheel (which I took off that corner when I moved the car out of the garage a couple of weeks ago as it had a slow flat) and started to pump it up on the compressor and the sidewall blew out at about 25PSI. Nearly shat myself. I've always stood to one side of wheels as I have pumped them up and never in front of them - I shall now continue this habit forever!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Undersea posting. The phone signal in the channel tunnel is better than at my house (I'm half way through the tunnel on the train)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Phone posted:

Nerds with GTA5 for PC: I only have like 100GB free on my SSD; how boned am I? Also I have an Ivy Bridge i5, 8GB of DD3, and a HD7950.

I could buy a 480GB SSD to replace the 240GB one I have, but I don't feel like spending $300 to play a video game right now.

Ive got a 7850 card, but only a 5 year old core 2 quad with 6GB RAM and have the game running from a SATA disk.

It looks very pretty on the default settings it detected (which seems to have a lot of 'high's in).. but is getting occasional slowdowns when there is a lot going on (Its pretty much always when i turn a corner and some oncoming traffic gets in my way). Its still totally playable (i've only got a couple of hours into it so far), but it definitely seems like time for a new cpu/mobo...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

some texas redneck posted:

I'm kind of thinking of picking up a modern Windows Phone just to see what it's like; I have access to Windows Phone 10 anyway. Not as a primary phone, but it'd be neat to see what it's like, and the Nokia's are dirt cheap used.

Windows phone 8.1 is a pretty good OS but it is let down by the lack of apps and by bing/IE. cortana is awesome.

I came from an iphone and it is so nice having a "phone" that works but I still use and carry round my iphone (with no sim in) so I can use the non business apps and games I want and chrome.

Windows phone 10 preview has some nice features and updates from 8.1 but is totally poo poo for being useable and stuff actually working
I upgraded my nokia 635 to 10 and it made it unusable due to the broken apps and constant crashes and Microsoft are really slow at fixing,updating and finishing things. (Cortana on 8.1 is still 'beta' in the UK!)

I've now got 8.1 on a nokia 930 and it is a great phone again.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

Hope you like other bugs more then.

Statistically, per ever one spider you have in your house, they consume a significant amount of pests, usually 50x their individual count. So make your choice: Spiders or Pest Insects.

I approve of the house spiders who live in the various cracks/holes in my house who don't build lots of webs everywhere and keep to themselves and hide as soon as they see me coming. I'l forgive them on the occasions I catch them lurking in a corner somewhere because they eat the bugs and run and hide the minute they notice me.

gently caress the spiders who brazenly stroll around the house in the daylight, build big annoying webs or are not scared of me.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I work as a support/project management engineer for a car manufacturer, he wants to make cars like daddy when he's older. I love taking him to the annual open day to see where I work. I'm looking forward to building a toylander jeep with him when we move.

I thought that you had just called a landrover a jeep, which would mean :fuckoff:. However I looked at the toylander website first and they do actually do a jeep now too. I still think you should do a toylander 2 instead though.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I actually have a original set of their jeep plans, I'm the third owner and the first to read them through. A coworker gave them to me free. I've turned the paper templates into a cad drawing I'll print on the big plotter at work, but the instructions aren't valid anymore, as Cortina leaf spring bushes aren't that common, and everything's in imperial.

Landrover leaf spring bushes are common and cheap ;)

Like you said about being the 3rd owner of the plans - I've never seen anybody actually complete a toylander while their kids were still young!. I have a mate who started building an awesome 101GS DIY equivalent - but he never finished it either :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I really didn't like one of my best buddies girlfriends, and told him as much. Said he could do way better, etc. He ignored me of course and got married to her a couple of years later.

I'm super good friends with her now and realize she's one of the only ones who could put up with his dumb rear end. She's stable, cool, and a great mom to their kids.

It's really weird what changes over time. My best mates now are a married couple (they have been married for almost 10 years and have an awesome daughter) who now live in the same small town as me.

I first met her 15 years ago when my (then) best mate (not her now husband!) who I had grown up with (and at that point lived with) got off with her in a lovely club in town. She was quite annoying and fairly stupid. We were all very drunk.

They dated for a couple of years before breaking up. He then started dating (and later married) a crazy girl who banned all contact with any exes and anybody who knew them. Haven't really seen or spoken to him since, speak to them pretty much daily.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

T1g4h posted:

Why am I only just now discovering Devin Townsend? Holy poo poo, I've been missing out :stare:

It's not all bad. You now have around 10 amazing albums to discover.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1ysusExtc

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

T1g4h posted:

This is my current favorite of the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rok8QPT9NO4

The riffs are loving awesome.

My current favourite is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NGQjRMXg28

The riffs are loving awesome in a lot of DTP songs.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Everybody has to loose their important files at least once to learn the valuable lesson about keeping backups!

I've just been going through a spindle full of 10+ years of backup CD-R's/DVD's from my home machines as I am now backing up everything into a onedrive (I'm picking off anything I want and chucking the discs).

Many of the oldest discs wont read now. I'm glad there is nothing important I want from them!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

MustardFacial posted:

I loving dropped a screw getting the battery out of my bike to charge it and now I can't find it. I heard it plink and hit something metal, but I can't see it anywhere, it's not on the ground and I shook the bike around and it's not rattling anywhere or fallen out of anything.

:wtc:

Roll the bike back and forth a bit and you have a good chance of finding it when it punctures your tyre.

Or take your shoes off, get a drink in one hand and a precariously balanced pile of (preferably breakable) precious things in the other hand and walk past in a rush and you will find it with the base of your foot..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Wrar posted:

gently caress moving. My fiancee just finished moving the last crap out of the garage. She is awesome.

I bought and moved into my house 8 years ago and this last week or so I have just sorted out some boxes of poo poo that I dumped in my loft when I moved and that haven't moved since. Have binned a lot but ebayed some and am £100 up so far :) £50 of which is going on a parking fine I managed to get 2 weeks ago :(

Wally Joyner posted:

GtaV tempted me to do the same by not only dropping dime on the game, but a new rig to play it. The adult Wally J decided I care more about expensive whiskey and other adulterants these days. Plus I'm trying to teach myself solid works so I can make car parts at work, and I can't imagine how many hours would disappear if I built a new system.

I bought a new CPU, mobo and RAM for GTA V as my old one was 5 years old. Not only has it made GTA awesome but my PC is now much better for using for work....

• Locked thread