Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Geoj posted:

Lately the post office has been doing a much better job than Prestige ever did when Amazon was using them. Only time I got my packages on time from them was if I drove to the regional distribution warehouse and picked it up myself.

I just canceled my Prime membership. My local mail carrier is a lazy, lying prick and the Postmaster doesn't give a flying gently caress. I e-mailed Amazon a few months ago and told them I didn't want anything Prime shipped USPS anymore, and their CSR said not a problem. The last Prime package I ordered got shipped USPS, and when I talked to another CSR they said there was no way to guarantee a particular shipping type and I'd just have to deal with it. So I told 'em to gently caress off.

My local USPS is so bad I have effectively boycotted any online retailers that don't ship other ways.

Also, I'm sitting at work at quarter 'till 9pm on a Thursday, waiting for a single-threaded script to update 50 linux boxes. It's been in process since for about 2 hours, now. There's severe thunderstorms outside, and I've got a whole two weeks left with my current company before my contact is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ExplodingSims posted:

Obviously the best answer is the Cayenne. The Cayenne GTS that is. :getin:

Cayenne prices drop like a 105-lb weaking socked on the jaw by Ali. If you don't mind getting a ~5 yr old one, you can find a GTS for under 30K, a base for under 25.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Nevermind, I withdraw my suggestion. Your missus wants a sportish car with a high h-point, basically.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 17, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

InitialDave posted:

Mini Cooper S Countryman? I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit typing that, though.

If she's used to driving stuff quickly, I'd have thought that even a moderate amount of performance would let her do the "go "Shoom!" past everyone else" routine. It sounds more like she fancies a bit of "Hurrrrrrr!" thrust in the back when you put your foot down?

A cheap vehicle with a torquey v6 or turbo I4 with a high h-point, but that doesn't feel "large". I'm not really aware of any. Maybe a hybrid CUV? Are there any available that are cheap?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

meatpimp posted:

You may want to look at a Lexus RX350. Nobody ever talks about them, because they are bland and beige, but they use the same 266+hp 2GR-FE motor that the RAV4 has and are not much bigger... could be a nice sleeper with all the Lexus goodies and stupid Toyota reliability.

That was actually my pre-edited suggestion. But I have no idea how much they cost in America's Hat.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Things to do in slow traffic:
http://i.imgur.com/NfddYpT.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/OhF7hEg.gifv

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tommychu posted:

The newest car I've owned has been the one that gets plowed into the most.

Just like women. The ones you've had for the shortest amount of time get plowed into the most.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

1500quidporsche posted:

One of the biggest reasons for not switching to vaping is that I know it would completely remove any incentive to quit. I really need to get off my rear end and just do it. I'm probably deferring to tomorrow just to finish out a pack.

My friend and coworker, who I've known for 8 years at this point, switched from smoking to vaping about two weeks ago. I don't know what a "normal" amount of vaping is, but I know she's taking 5-8 long pulls about every 8-10 minutes at this point.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MustardFacial posted:

Honda doing some super cool F1 tech

Though I don't understand how an axial flow compressor gives less peak pressure than a conventional turbo. Aren't normal jet engines designed to run at ungodly high pressures?

Jet engines work quite a bit worse when their outlets are obstructed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I am now, after two years of contracting, an official Cisco employee. Time for a new car!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tide posted:

Yeah, i did. Not big enough for the tv i have (a 60") or the one i plan to buy within a couple years (80"). I like them, but they're too "modern" for the wife. If I juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust didn't hang new dry wall and such in this room, I wouldn't be opposed to just mounting it directly to the wall.

But, as the saying goes, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Who the gently caress buys an 80 inch television (or realistically plans to buy one) and then complains about not being able to find a wallmount? Just have a custom one made. You obviously have the dosh.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

mariooncrack posted:

If you're willing to look at a phablet, check out the nexus 6.

That trend is driving me batty. I wear size large gloves, if my thumb can't reach all the way across a phone's screen while holding it comfortably, IT'S TOO loving LARGE. It's at the point where I'm not going to be able to keep up with current mobile technology without lugging a surfboard-sized "phone" around with me.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

mariooncrack posted:

Yeah, I don't blame you. Before I got my oneplus one, I didn't think I wanted a phablet but it's really nice and I got used to the size really fast.

I bought my girlfriend a OnePlus One. I hate using the thing.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

A yellow light in MA means hurry up.

A light that's been red less than 2 seconds means "gun it!" in the Triangle area of NC. Probably because the state's never heard of traffic engineers and nobody wants to wait eight minutes at an intersection of a 45 MPH boulevard and a 55 MPH highway because nobody's figured out that people are primarily turning ONTO the highway from the boulevard in the morning and FROM the highway to the boulevard in the evenings. And similar other 60-IQ level flow and timing issues around here.

But we do have 70 MPH interstate highways with a real traffic speed of around 80-82 most days, so we've got that going for us.

mariooncrack posted:

Because of the size? The software leaves a little to be desired. A lot of the appeal for me is being able to develop for it though. I'm trying to move from my QA job to development.

Yeah, I've got no problem with the interface (which is hugely customizable) or the software. It's just too big.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Honda Ruckus is pretty much the coolest scooter out there. Also the only one I'm aware of that is as regularly modded.

Almost everything I hate about scene cars is totally cool when performed on the Ruckus.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ozmiander posted:

Well known AAA franchise game is in early access? gently caress Early Access.

Yep. Early Access is the new EA 0-day release: Pay us full price for an unfinished, super-buggy game and gently caress you if you complain about it.

I got shouted down on an online forum for berating a developer who still had a game [GameY] in "Alpha Early Access" status, but announced a week earlier that the sequel [GameY 2] was being placed into Early Access. People even defend that bullshit.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Ugh.. Last night I decided to free-form some curry burgers. They were tasty, spicy, and made with ghost chili powder. I am paying the price already.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

Who says project cars aren't investments?

People with financial sense?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Fo3 posted:

Stop being a baby. I hosed up my knee when I was younger too (twisted it big time, pops out a lot still, grates when moving). Consequence of that is my back and other knee took 20 yrs of extra strain, and the're stuffed now too).
Point is, you just had a cramp.

E: I hardly ever had painkillers. They gave me good ones in hospital when I had pancreatitis and all sorts of internal referred pain which helped that. Not one of their painkillers ever helped my aching back though. I often wonder what I could ever do to help that pain go away

Probably have back surgery, like I am going to. Also, gently caress you and your "stop being a baby, you just had a cramp". Ignoring injuries is how people end up crippled for life.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Astonishing Wang posted:

Wait WTF - Fireball is NOT $50 for a bottle.

1.75L is $38.50 here in NC. According to the ABC website. That'd definitely be enough to get a couple 16 year old girls hosed up.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Protip: If you already have two cats, don't date a woman with two cats unless you REALLY like cats.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 30, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Slow is Fast posted:

this is a v good catte

A+ loaf

See if you can guess which one is not a catte:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tusen Takk posted:

Holy poo poo it's like $22 for the same amount here :stonk:

Welcome to state-controlled, state-priced liquor?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

El Jebus posted:

Very. We have an 83+, 86, and 89Ti.

Also, cat related AI!

Barnum with his sister Bailey.

Plus bonus drug use!

Is that this?

Fakedit: Yes, my cat rolls on wide 20s in the rear and 16 inch skinnies up front.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Continuing on with gently caress-NC-for-liquor chat, look what arrived today:

Swedish single-pot single-malt whisky to feed my ever-growing whisky fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

The ABC Store system doesn't really suck that bad. Think about it this way, we still have vinegar based BBQ.

I moved to NC from Maryland two years ago, and while there are many upsides to living in NC when compared to MD, it still tweaks my nipples that I can't go 5 minutes down the street to pick up anything I'd like from a selection of 1800 liquors, 2400 wines, 2500 beers, and 170 non-alcoholic drinks from around the world like I could up there. When a state board has to approve every liquor product sold in the state-approved stores, you don't get quite the variety you do at a regular, comparatively unregulated specialty shop.

On the other hand, you can pick up beer and crappy wine from most any grocery store, so there's that.

• Locked thread