Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

JFC, why is it so hard to find an aftermarket replacement seat bracket for an XJ? They're a known point of lovely Chrysler manufacture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That'd be nice, I can fix that pretty easily. But the feet of my bracket are suffering from the result of being on the floor in salt country, and while I can't tear the fucker off because I have to drive it to work tonight, what I can see without doing so looks like a cracked weld in the right rear of the seat bracket. :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nthing the 'get a real doctor' part. Chiropractors are just half-assed massage therapists with a theory of illness that makes the holistic health people get skeptical.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Welp, points to Kastein. XJ's issue was a seat base mounting hole blowing out. Slapping a patch on now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Negromancer posted:

While the egg part is a complete rear end in a top hat move, this is just funny. I don't think I could be mad if I came back to my car full of popcorn. I never threw eggs at cars, but there was a while where one of my friends had a bunch of paintballs in his car that would get tossed(by hand, never actually firing them) at other cars. We learned our lesson when I was driving the car(with a clutch that was dead, got replaced 2 days later) and one of my friends thought it would be funny to throw some at a new H2. Guy ended up chasing us down and eventually caught up to us on a side street where I was blocked by another car and proceeded to get out of his car and punch me in the face a few times thru the open window. rear end in a top hat in the back seat who actually threw it didn't do poo poo to help me either. Strangely enough, I was not friends with that guy for much longer.

Not gonna lie, guy in the H2's got my sympathy there. Don't gently caress with other people's poo poo for no reason. It gets your rear end beat on a good day.

We just all got our asses chewed at work because someone among the dickwad just out of school idiots we've hired decided to grab all of the soda the guy who just got force-transferred into our department due to his side losing headcount keeps on his desk and write '<name> sucks' on all of the cans and stash them back in the boxes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 7, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Negromancer posted:

True, but I would at least laugh for a minute if I walked up to my car and it was full of popcorn.

Don't get me wrong, we were 18 year old assholes and the person throwing poo poo had it coming. But in this situation I was telling my dickhead friend in the back seat not to loving throw poo poo at anyone since I was hung over and only driving cause the other person who could drive stick was still drunk. I was mostly pissed cause I was getting punched cause my friend was a idiot. It was also being driven by the exact type of person you would imagine bought a H2 when they first came out. At least we used something that won't do damage to the paintwork and just wipes off.

You'd be surprised. I've been playing paintball for a long time, and the shells can and do scratch impact-rated google lenses, and the fill stains all sorts of poo poo it shouldn't. The detergent in it bleaches clothes and plastics if it sits more than a few hours too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it'd gently caress with clearcoat.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 7, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

My friends took their car to WM for an oil change and after waiting for two hours they were told the car had a cracked oil pack and they couldn't change the oil. They brought it to my place and I crawled underneath to find the pan crunched and scraped. They'd owned this car for 4 years and had never been told the pan was damaged so we assume the WM techs did something.

I lost a 91 New Yorker to them back in high school. Took it in to WM for an oil change because I didn't know any better at the time, slack-rear end tech hosed up the filter somehow. Soon as I took it on the freeway, the filter blew off and threw hot oil all over the exhaust manifold... cue engine fire.

I liked that car, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

So I may be buying my dad's old house that he's been renting out. The best feature of it?

A barn with an apartment upstairs and room for four cars inside (or a massive industrial car lift).

The best part? When I said something about potentially knocking the barn down because it's an eye-sore my wife suggested that we keep it but just put new siding on it so it doesn't look so trashy so that way we can have a garage for her car in the winter and I can have a garage for car projects and other assorted tom-foolery.

:kimchi:

Jealous as gently caress. This is what I want to live in, given that I'm terminally single and don't need much living space anyway.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If it makes you feel any better STR, I've got an interview in the morning for a bakery position. Corporate IT work is making me miss food service.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

They are. Also detailed repair questions about inkjet printers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jesus titty-loving Christ I hate previous owners.

I knew my XJ had developed a mysteriously fast-spreading rust problem in the rockers. I did not expect that the rear corner of the rockers, on both sides, was actually tinfoil and bondo stretched over Great Stuff and then covered in bedliner. This loving guy, I swear.

Well, I knew I was probably replacing the rockers anyway, and I needed to learn to weld, but I guess it's higher priority now. Any good suggestions for learning how to do bodywork for dummies?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Slow is Fast posted:

Get a cheapo mig, something above harbor freight teir. Get a good roll of hobart wire from tractor supply. Get some cheap pieces of scrap to practice on while you fiddle with the knobs. Just go for it.

I did a complex wheel arch replacement on my RS as my first welding job and it came out OK. Cherokee rockers are easy compared to it as they are mostly square with no complex curves. I've done two cherokee rockers in my thread. Sure they don't look like factory perfect lines, but they will hold up FINE.

Once you've got the thing all welded up, paint the outside with chassis saver and the inside spray with Eastwood's internal frame coating and it should last a long time.

Yeah, I'm not terribly worried about pretty. Gonna cover the bottom quarters with bed liner anyway since I spend so much time on gravel and salt that they're inevitably hosed.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Watch Mills Fleet Farm ad, they run a special on the Hobart Auto Arc 130 for 350ish- Its a 110v unit, comes with a cart, regulator, helmet and machine, and a bonus, the Auto Arc 130 is "last years" Miller. Even when you pull the manual up online, it pops up as Miller and no mention of Hobart. I know we live in the same area - shoot me a PM if you want to try mine out. I need to get a bottle on mine, but I have flux core, and once you get poo poo dialed in, its smokey and has a little more spatter than MIG.

Good call. I've got 220V available, but it's directly wired to the compressor. :) I'll keep an eye out.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 25, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

The love of flight doesn't put food on the table I'm afraid. Also that love dies a quick death in this business...everything is so heavily scripted from the time you sign in until the time you leave that it can hardly be called flying anymore.

Sounds exactly like me and professional cooking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Jum beam is my go to broke wheoskey with bulliet rye my feelng fancy and t how bowsl both of them out lf the wawattwr

Pfft, Beam. Get on the level and get a bottle of Evan Williams. Better taste, $10/750ml

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It tastes exactly like Captain Morgan but for 1/4 of the cost! I ran back two days later to get a few more bottles but they were cleaned out.

Four more bucks and you could be drinking Sailor Jerry, and not wondering why you decided to dry-clean your tongue with overspiced shitwine. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

The best is when you have a 3 month old drive that's pulled the click..click..click.. after you've moved everything to it and gotten rid of the drives it replaced. With no backups. 8 years of photos... :sigh:

RAID is your friend. The acronym used to be Redundant Array Inexpensive Disks for a reason.

WD 2TB's are $80 each, too cheap not to buy in pairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm a big fan of HP's P420 cards, but they're not exactly consumer kit.

• Locked thread