Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

AI should really like Corgis because they're a slammed dog that's built for cornering.

Oh HELL NO, corgis don't have the proper leg compliance and as a result they handle like poo poo. Your basic corgi is the AI equivalent of hardparked / stanced / hellaflushed and should be avoided at all costs. I've long made it a study to define animal handling and I can tell you now that if you want a good handling dog, you want a Border Collie. They have magnificent handling and much like the LS1, are good for crossbreeding to produce hybrids like the Kelpie. They also are wonderfully compliant so they will go over random obstacles like gravel roads, fields, cattle grates, sheep and fences with equal ease. You know, pretty much like a EVO. They also have really good steering geometry so they can dig in and change direction due to the castor changes and leg joint king pin angles. A Border Collie over and above that has fantastic weight shift

They are quite reliable to their owners, needing not much maintenance other than a good run, social interaction and feeding, the interface is friendly and intelligent.

Basically a Border Collie is a Subaru Forester XT 2004 model. Fast, reliable, good handling, awesome off road, hard working and a pleasure to own and can be modified with some good training to be even better. A Kelpie is the WRX Spec C of the dog world - lighter weight, more tempremental but just about unbeatable in it's rallying / working ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slow is Fast posted:

Shut up corgis own.

I like my pets lowered and my cars functional:

Look at this n00b, doesn't know Corgis are like any UK animals are prone to sudden inexplicable breakdowns, coat and skin shedding at any hint of water and bursting into flames when their nervous system shorts out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I just saw it on Facebook and I want it more than any new car on the market. It's just so loving cute.

Not just cute but can be persuaded to go indecently fast up to the point that the recycled tin cans it's made from can be torn apart and the front chassis rails seperate from the rest of the car.

I'm not joking on that one. The City is a ridiculously light car made from very light metals and you turn the boost up they are stupid quick BUT the chassis is literally torn apart. A stupid amount of fun tho before that happens. I'd hate to be in a crash with one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

meet rascal :3:

I'm no doge person but that's a hell of a cutey

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Just reading this whole yes you still will stink you bomb weed......

I'm more WTF about the cop giving a poo poo about weed rather than the loving stolen car. FFS, weed is goddamn near harmless who the hell cares?!?!? It's loving dumb that I could *literally* take a walk not far from where I live, harvest as much wild weed as I wanted and be a criminal. I thought I had walked into someone's stash but I've since found out cannibas grows wild here and it's dead easy to find. Criminalisation makes zero sense anymore on any level.

And frankly I tend to find weed smokers - even ones who don't give a gently caress about the legality - tend to be more considerate of non smokers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

T1g4h posted:

Welcome to America. Child molesters, wife beaters, and methed out tweakers walking free while stoners serve years in prison for daring to smoke weed. It's slightly hosed up.

Welcome to Australia or anywhere else where weed is THE DEVILS PLANT AGGGGHHHHHH MORAL PANIC

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

It's probably wild-growing hemp. Happens all the time in places where it used to be grown when it was still a legal commercial crop. Grows like a weed and is visually indistinguishable from marijuana and as stated at best will give you a headache before it makes you high.

Not..... quite in this case :)

Turns out that the cultivars for hemp production aren't the ones growing wild and it's been much more prevalent years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Valley_cannabis_infestation

This time it looks like it's popping up in areas where they cant spray (National Parks)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Anyone else watching Better Call Saul?

Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad are two shows that I will readily acknowledge are loving brilliant but I just cant get into. I struggle to keep watching hoping it'll click because I see and get how good they both are.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Everything was so bad it was bad, not so bad it was good. I'm convinced all of you said it was good to convince me to waste an afternoon in the greatest troll ever.

The only F&F even possibly watchable is the first. The rest are crimes against cinema on the level of Transformers 3 or 4.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I know it's a broken record in this place but holy hell, what kind of demonic possession are some of these people that post on Tumblr on? The absolute shitstorm of crazy honestly had me reaching for a crucifix. Otherkin and gently caress me the hole just goes waaaaaaay deeper from there.

I just blocked that whole shitstorm at the routers at work. We were wondering what someone was spending their time on and dear Lord, I'm regretting reading what pages they were. Hey, this is Something Awful and you do see a lot of hosed up messes as a result if you venture to FYAD and GBS and who the gently caress knows elsewhere (and of course sys admins see the firewall logs. I'm no stranger to some hosed up things people read on IT networks) but this....... I'm not joking, I honestly consider Tumblr proof positive demons are real and they are possessing people. This is just plain next level insanity.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

My Facebook feed just exploded. Holy poo poo I have not seen the speed of reaction to a death of any Aussie that fast ever. I guess Richie Benaud truly meant something to most Aussies

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

I had to Google him. So now I know that he's an ex-cricket player sports commentator, and that he's apparently dead.

It's kinda weird that literally 1.5 Billion people would know exactly who he is and why he's a genuine loss but anyone in the USA or Canada or most of Europe would be huh who the hell is that?

He was literally the face of Australian summer for 40 odd years, as soon as you saw him on the TV, you knew cricket was coming back.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Negromancer posted:

New Roadkill is up and it is pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOQe1hWvX_c

That was legit amazing

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Reading about STR and alcohol withdrawal is mind bobggling. I knew alcohol withdrawal can literally kill you but reading what it can do otherwise...... man, hope it works out for you because sounds like some hard core poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

88h88 posted:

...you could just eat like a sparrow, gently caress off the crossfit and become a mushy bag of man. Alternatively eat all the protein and become a mountain of man muscle?

That's me at about 44kph setting the fastest bike time of the day. I do on average 14 hours of ride / run / gym a week. Still got a stomach :(

BUt I kinda do know why, I eat too much easy sugar + 45/46 doesnt help. I'm deleting soft drinks and added sugars, no junk food. Not going to go overboard as I know going fad diet never works, just doing it sensibly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

leica posted:

I love chubby girls, fit girls remind me of dudes and it turns me off big time. Women should have soft, not hard bodies, so as a result chubby girls are more feminine and attractive to me :3:

Madonna used to be so cute in the 80's when she was chubby now she's gross and looks like a dude.

I have zero issues with girls who have some muscle. That tells me they like taking care of themselves :drool:

However a lot of fit girls are too skinny. I see that in Triathlon all the time - you wonder where the curves went. Noooope. But on the other hand, a few of them have curves and holy poo poo that's just hot as hell. But to be honest, triathlon just makes girls skinny mostly.

On the other hand, triathlon does have a signifigant amount of men who are ridulously hot. I can imagine if you swung that way, it would be just eye candy in tight clothing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

This is new for AI :confused:

At least guys in AI have seen a bra on a women wohse name doesnt end in .jpg. Most of us even know how to take one off from said woman.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

I prefer "fit chicks" or at least someone who is active and takes care of themselves. I figure if I work out, don't eat like poo poo and try to improve myself there's no reason I can't expect the same.

I got my partner a Tri bike as on the hope she would follow my lead and get off her rear end.

To her credit, she did. The line of shiney bling for her races is considerably bigger than mine now! She's overweight but now she's going for doing a half Ironman late this year - I am not arguing at all because you think overweight is going to last long with the kind of training you need to do for that? Hopefully by early next year I'll have 4 half IM's under the belt and I'll go for a full Ironman in December 2016.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

I am a complete and utter retard. I felt pretty good today, and after watching Paris-Roubaix i got the itch. I told myself that the doctors told me that light excercise was a good way to regain some energy. So... this is the result https://www.strava.com/activities/284110311 not to impressive compared to what i did before, or compared to cat terrist and the other bike riders in this forum. But i had to lay down in the shower and i feel like a truck is parked on my tigh. felt good when i was out there tho.

Followed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Isn't this the season that strays way apart from how poo poo happens in the books, because GRRM is a lazy fucktard?

Yes it does. I believe Wolves of Winter may get out before season 6 but the producers are being guided by GRRM and they know where the story goes.

Up until the Red Wedding, GRRM ran a really REALLY good story. But frankly it broke down, got bloated and lost it's way badly. Half the problem he has is resolving all of that utter poo poo - the story is just a complete and utter word vomit. That said, it's not like GRRM's betters (all two or three of them) don't hit the same issues - even Tolkien got into a tangle at about Window to the West / Faramir and Gondor worldbuilding in Lord of the Rings.

The problem of course is when a book series gets big, the author most often wants to take a smaller story, expand it in scope and poo poo gets out of control. Wheel of Time is a perfect example - Jordan was intending for a much smaller three book scope but with it's success he got ambitious, expanded and look at how it became just such a huge mess that could never really be concluded satisfactory. Stephen King also got caught in that with The Dark Tower too. On the other hand, JK Rowling avoided that trap quite well by fixing Harry Potter to having a particular story she wanted to tell, then kept it fairly tight and on track, no matter the pressure to do otherwise, the Potter books mostly avoid bloating and going off into different directions.

Not that being bloated and going off into different directions is always a bad thing, Terry Pratchett made a career out of it with Discworld by playing up to it and eventually that's exactly what you expected. Sometimes you can see exactly where the story derails and it goes off on a different direction - but in the main writers like GRRM get caught. Even with the best of planning a story and writing can go off in unexpected directions pretty much by itself as new ideas flow in.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

One episode of Daredevil down.... gently caress me what a great opener. Marvel's small screen offering have ramped up sooo much this year

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, CT, so glad you brought up Pratchett. Since my surgery I've re-read like six of his books. Still one of my favorite authors, even if the books are childish or whatever there's a LOT of depth to them.

There's always layers to Pratchett. There's some brilliant political satire esp in the Vimes books - and then books like Soul Music or Moving Pictures work even better if you know what he's taking the piss out of and more often than not, he's taking the piss out of three things at once on the same page. And even after re-reading, there's something else to discover - Like Captain Carrot is very much Queen Elizabeth II but in Discworld.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Okay, the onboard ECU's on newer cars have well and truly gone overboard. My VE Commodore (Or Pontiac G8 SS if you have been following my latest thread) had to get it's fuel pump changed. ALSO needed to be replaced was a seperate ECU specifically for the fuel pump. Grand cost? 1200 dollars. The pump is coded to only obey the commands of it's own ECU.

The.

gently caress??????

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I got 200 servers (VM hosts, Storage, routers), one entire country (NZ), a DC (Melbourne) and 6 companies to either build (servers), create (DC), replace (NZ) or merge (companies) into our already loving huge network. 8 weeks.

The storage coming online is all SSD, FreeNAS and (Holy gently caress I dont believe it either) NO 10G core switching, despite the petabytes we now have. Management had to cut cost somewhere despite the fact the SAN's well past GB/sec read / write without caching. A full SSD SAN is utterly incredible for speed and with the caches on it's ballistic, seems nuts to bottleneck it on the network.

Altho most of our OS's that can use iSCSI storage will attempt to compress data copying across the network when it knows there's SSD's involved so we're getting some unexpected ridiculous speed anyway. We hit an interesting issue with VMWare and FreeNAS NFS where BOTH checksum file actions and thence they both tangle each other, oh so we have to go iSCSI, we're soo sad about that. Not.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare:

All that money in SSDs, and they can't bother to even do a 10G backbone? They are using Enterprise SAS SSDs right? They didn't skimp on that too?

Bluntly put, half the "Enterprise" offerings are just "consumer" with a few tweaks and big fuckoff pricetag. Even on our spinning rust, we lose less drives on the homebrew SAN's and get better performance over the NetApp shelves, especially using SSD caching (The NetApp also has that). That said, there are a few shelves with SAS as required. The rest is Samsung 850 Pros which are proving more than up to it. The only real issue we had was testing it, the backplanes were having trouble and dropping disks - we stepped down to a 3Gb controller until we worked out the 6Gb controller's firmware was just not keeping up with the drives. Flashed firmware, whole shebang screams.

The main reason tho we can use more homebrew is FreeNAS is a very capable SAN OS. 1 hour snapmirrors and VM snapshotting is a godsend

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Das Volk posted:

You run FreeNAS in production?? ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaaaa

Yes and have zero issues on 9.3. It would be nice to have an actual IT budget but we dont. I'm the sole Windows server admin over 27 countries and 130 sites - and even then half my day is anything BUT Microsoft. The only reason why we're replacing anything is due to everything over 5+ years old and starting to break, that's forced management to actually spend more than a wet fart. In fact today I'm literally replacing a 25 year old PC as I just figured out how to get the software to run on a newer system. These days I'm a reverse engineer because they are too cheap to get things fixed on a factory level.

Yeah, you might laugh at our roll your own but (and this is getting getting me riled because it's the same fuckign story ove and over again, do a hell of a lot with absolute fuckall, pull it off and then get expected to do it with even less, gently caress you management) some of us jsut dont have anything like the luxury of being able to spend even half of what is required to roll out a proper enterprise system. We get 1/10th of a real IT budget, we find what we can and then make it work. And believe me, it works.

An example of how we're battling money? How many support desk people there are for 6000 users in Aust? I see 95 new tickets today in the system, I see 92 support calls on the PABX stats. How many we're allowed to manage that? TAnd tht's just an obvious example.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I'm curious: why the gently caress do you put up with it? Your company sounds like it's just piling technical debt on top of more technical debt.

I get to work 6:30am to 3:30pm, get the gently caress out and get on my bike - that is such a huge thing for me that I'm prepared to go with it. And to be honest I have the first boss ever who actually gives a poo poo about his employees AND is highly technically competent. They might not spend money but a hostile personal enviroment is vastly worse to work in.

Plus.... this is a really facinating place. The best description is Vulture Capitalism but not the strip em clean kinda vulture. Not really sure how to describe it without giving much away as I have NDA's to obey.

I honestly dont knnow what I'll be doing tomorrow half the time. Boredom? Hehe, whats that?

quote:

If anyone was at VMworld in 2009 when the labs completely cratered

So an old version. 9.3 works and works drat well.

quote:

(Samsung + Supermicro + LSI = bad times)

Oh thank Christ, it wasnt just me then.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Oh no no, I agree with FreeNAS, but the Enterprise SSDs at least come with a better warrenty, we just purchased a bunch for our database server.

Eh, we're not too bothered by warranty on the drives. We just carry a few replacements. And TBH, SSD failure rates especially in some of the hostile environments we deal with are.... actually I dont remember a SSD failing out of the blue for a long while. We had that on earlier SSD's but the later ones, cant complain.

quote:

drat I'll never complain about my couple systems and other systems I babysit and help out on.

As long as the people I work alongside are good, I aint either. My last job was loving hostile as hell, I got written warning for not filling out my time sheet in the way they wanted - you had to account for EVERY 15 minute block. It took two loving hours every week to do it sometimes and every 15 minute block not marked on a client was argued over and you basically had to justify taking a dump. Oh and then you had to detail your time with the exact task in the worst loving interface known for timesheeting. Employee stress levels on Monday were off the charts due to the pissing around and management was always lurking if you made a mistake - I dont recall a single person not dragged over the coals for a timesheet infringement - I basically started looking for new job once probation was over and timesheet poo poo was jus thte tip of the iceberg for stupidity there. Small business trying to believe they are big enterprise are a loving joke.

Funny thing is, now I'm at a loving huge Enterprise that tries to behave like a family small business. Sometimes I wonder if they actually grasp just how genuinely huge they are - just things like the fact if they were a trucking business, they would have one of the largest fleets in the country. Where I was yesterday has twenty semis dedicated to it, at the other site they have 3 to 4 B-Doubles at one time unloading or loading from 4am to 6pm, in and out. I always wanted to work in a big place.... ohhhh boy do I ever now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

So I'm thinking probably Rav4 or CRV or Forester or something similar. Any recommendations?

The modern "crossovers" just just soooo loving bad and bland. You are screwed :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

I told her already if she wanted a minivan I was going to divorce her. I also know nothing about CUV's but I think all she wants is a driving appliance so I'm just going to get whatever unless I can find something even mildly interesting. They still offer the STI engines in the Forester XT right?

No, a castrated WRX motor. Also with soft rear end suspension, a CVT and all the driving enjoyment of loving a dead hooker. The modern XT is just not in any way a mildly interesting car anymore.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

on a sidenote, Nissan didn't actually sell that GT-R engined Juke thing did they? I think I read somewhere it was just an engineering project.

No, it became a very limited production car. As much as the GTR leaves me cold, Nissan doing something that batshit insane shows there is hope left

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Netflix's Daredevil is just stupidly good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Negromancer posted:

And beat the poo poo out of each other! Can't forgot about the best part.

That's the part where I say nooooooope, gently caress Hockey. If that sport's best talking point is beating the poo poo out of each other and it's not UFC / actual sports where beating the poo poo out of each other is the actual original idea then it deserves to disappear.

UFC and boxing probably also deserves to disappear but that's more due to the fact it's existence is more about gambling and also is utterly corrupted by organised crime than any sport. Beating the poo poo out of someone sports without the gambling and corruption are cool if if want to do that kinda thing.

And dont tell me that the sport would be soft cocked without the biff. The local rugby league comp read the riot act and got serious about fighting - so now if you want a get square or want to take exception to some one, you get your team mates and hit them with 350kgs of legitimate tackling. It adds to the game big time as you see two big meatheads get themselves worked up and try to outdo each other with big legitimate hits and just simply play harder / faster.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The latest Star Trek movies hinted JJ ABrams makes good Star Wars films. And so far everything we have seen says it's absolutly true, that looks bad rear end.

Tempering excitement tho remembering Phantom Menace looked bad rear end and it turned out to be a shitshow. You also see that the ball droid ISNT CGI but is a real robot?!? How the hell did they do that?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

If you can afford an 800k home, you can afford to pay taxes on more of your income. it gives scale to how immense these giveaways are.

Fun fact : Sydney house prices are approaching 800K AVERAGE. There are now suburbs where you cant find anything below a million. Very few people can actually afford that of course but if you want to own a roof, you have to find a way so that means both parents working full time and often also second job part time and still struggling. Moving out to the extreme ends of Sydney (now approaching 100km on the SW corridor) and it's still over 400K, under 300K hardly exists anymore within two hours of Sydney.

And now the Wollongong / Sydney / Newcastle suburban areas are beginning to touch and merge, what was the cheaper "Out of Sydney" areas are going up at a huge rate too. So basically anything within 150kms is ridiclously expensive.

Edit : And there's no real option here either, you want a job, you HAVE to be close to one of the major cities in Australia. There is no such thing as affordable housing even close to any city, even Darwin is going through the roof.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

I'm only about 40 mins out of Adelaide in the hills and just bought 900m2 of land and built a brand new 4 bedroom home on it for under $400K, it's doable, but you have to live in Adelaide to do it...

It's just not sustainable. Yes, the reason why property prices are stupid have fundamentally different reasons from elsewhere around the world (Mainly driven by the fact new houses just simply are not being able to be built to meet demand and have not for many years) but something has to break soon, a loving family home over 500K let alone the Million mark is just not something that can work long term. It wont be a huge crater like the US was due to the fundamentals being so different but it will be painful.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mat_Drinks posted:

Star Wars chat I just started reading the EU novels beginning with 'The HAN SOLO Adventures'

Why would you subject yourself to that kind of mental abuse? The EU is just sooooooooo bad

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Taco Box posted:

It can be, but the Jedi Search trilogy is the fuckin poo poo. So are Thrawn trilogy and the duology also written by Timothy Zahn. I've read I think the entire EU and I'm totally the coolest dude I know.

I'll agree with the Thrawn trilogy and it certainly kick started Star Wars popularity once again quite rightly - but Jedi Search? gently caress NO, that was awful!

I guess "I, Jedi" isnt too bad and Rouge Squdron had some readable stuff. However Anything by Kevin J Anderson isnt worth wiping my rear end with, poo poo like the Sun Crusher was an insult to the intelligence.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Back to Bakura, and the Yuuzhang Vong series

Them's be fighting words laddie, those honestly induce brain damage they are so bad. ALtho not as the book with Callista I think it was? The sad misguided attempt for a loving Jedi ghost to bang Luke? Dear Lord, that was utterly rage inducing bad.

Sad truth is the Hand of Thrawn books were done by Zahn to put an end to a lot of that Eye of Palpatine / Luke falls for Jedi woman of hte week that just infested the gently caress out of the EU. It really is so pathetic Zahn was bought back to fix so many fuckups, his original trilogy really bought in some amazing characters - Thrawn and Mara Jade in particular. Plus Coruscant was named by Zahn and a lot of the whole planet city that we saw in the prequels was his idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Why. WHY did I read the post your ride thread. Someone move it to GBS, that's where it belongs now.

On the other hand last week I gave up ALL bottled drinks and went with water. Holy gently caress me sideways, I never expected my body to react this fast or for as long. Okay yeah I also cleaned up the diet but the act of removing even diet soft drinks was obvious. The rather nasty headaches went for a couple of days, I'm less hungry (WTF) and also more suseptible to bonking while riding like I do - plus a few other things like making GBS threads is easier. Sure diet drinks have plenty of artificial crap and fruit drinks a godawful load of free sugar without the fibre content but honestly did not expect to be feeling the lingering effects of withdrawal for a week and bit.

Usually when I drop diet soft drinks etc I usually replace with something else like fruit juice, get a day of bitchy mood and a headache, clear afterwards. So this is the first time I've just gone with water only and I am really WTF what is going on. It's not like I drink crates of the poo poo either.

What the HELL do they put in soft drinks anyway??!?

• Locked thread