Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Ugh. On the hunt for a new job out near my folks and in-laws (Albany NY area). Current work got wind I was looking and no matter how much I say "I'm not looking for another job around here, I like it here" I'm now dead to them. Career fallen off a cliff. The most annoying part is that Albany doesn't have a lot of positions open for what I do, so I've been on the hunt a long time (more than a year) and people don't get that I want to relocate so they're like "Why are you applying, you live in Boston??" Doesn't help that the glut of entry level IT guys means that everyone wants a cheapo contractor and any permanent positions start at half what I'm making now.

Car chat: If I do wind up getting work out there, I'll need my own car. It would be a 2-3k beater for sure and part of me wants to get something interesting and fun to drive since I'll be in it so much and it'll be "mine" but the realistic part of me says to just get a late 90s Civic or Corolla and drive it forever, putting gas, oil, tires and brakes in it until the Sun goes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

go3 posted:

Apply with your folks/in-laws address on your resume

That's how all my Careerbuilder/Dice/Monster/Whatever pages are set up. I might just go whole hog and put it on the resume itself. One problem is I don't know anyone out there. I've got no network of friends-of-friends to keep one eye out for open positions. More than one I found an ideal job only to realize that they posted it for a legal requirement and they already had a candidate in mind.

KozmoNaut posted:

Totally. Late-90s/early-00s Toyotas and Hondas are the best thing ever for cheap reliable motoring. And because millions and millions of them were sold literally everywhere, every shadetree mechanic ever will be able to fix them blindfolded with his hands tied behind his back.

Sounds like my life. Boring but reliable.

beep-beep car is go fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 13, 2015

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

A compact/midsize Toyota is only boring if you drive it like a boring person.

Hah. True enough.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

Cant be quoted enough. And your backups dont exist unless they are tested.

Backups don't exist unless they're backed up - automatically - in two separate places, one of which is offsite and tested monthly.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Got another laptop out of the trash at work! This one is a Dell Studio 15 something. Core 2 Duo. Needed RAM and a hard drive, and the fan sounds like an idling diesel, but I can't find anything else wrong with it. Advantages of being an IT janitor at a university that has "technology recycling" boxes I guess.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Wally Joyner posted:

You're all enablers.

Not me, I dig my computers out of the trash. Got a 1,1 MacBook Air (ugh, it's like steam powered though), a MINT Thinkpad (Core solo though, runs Linux pretty good) a Compaq something-or-other (AMD, fixed it up, gave it to a friend who had no computer) and just now rescued a Dell Studio 1537 out of the trash. Dude before me stickerbombed it and tore out the ram and HDD before chucking it, but I had those lying around. Gonna make a media PC out of this one I think, since it comes with HDMI out.

My main Trashtop is a Dell i7 with 8gig of ram (!!) some guy threw away because the battery went bad and the hard drive was fubar. New HDD and it's good as new. Maybe one day I'll get a new battery for it, but for now it lives on my desk.

Oh, also have a 1,1 Mac Pro that's running Win10 boot camped. It uses a STUPID amount of electricity though, so it's off while I decide what to do with it.

beep-beep car is go fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Job chat: This job opportunity in NYS I really really want has been

stringing

me

along

for something like 6 weeks now. It's a promotion, it's in a location I want, and it'll be a pay raise. They said they work slow, but I was thinking "corporate slow" not "higher education slow" Though, it's a state job, so I should probably be less surprised. Every time I figure it fell through and resign myself, I get another email from them "we're still checking references and making calls, we'll let you know in a week"

• Locked thread