Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

So down here in Cali I was sweating my balls off and dying all yesterday and mom claimed it was only like 70 degrees. She asked if i wanted dad to pack a pair of shorts for me for the solvang trip as it could be 80 or higher and i told her no, because if it is i'll be constructing a rudimentary shelter and conserving my energy awaiting helicopter rescue.

Lol yeah the weather is super pleasant right now.

Solvang is cool for like an hour or two but it's weird. There's nothing to do unless you wanna eat pastries or shop. The wineries were cool but then Sideways came out and now there's like a hundred of them and their crazy overpriced tastings - you're better off in San Jose or points north.

Do yourself a favor and go to El Rancho market on the east end of town (halfway back to 154) and ask for a container of their Mississippi Caviar and a bag of tortilla chips. Grab whatever local red wine you can afford from their (rather good) selection and go hog wild. Best dip I've ever had unless you hate avocado.

The Hitching Post makes a drat good steak and their own wine. Don't go to AJ Spurs it's weird.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

A local LEO acquaintance stopped by work today - he hadn't seen that video, but had heard about it and the consensus seemed to be that Officer Rockstar Games had done the right thing. I showed him the video and he loudly exclaimed "Holy poo poo..." and agreed that maneuver was a bit overzealous at best.

Don't gently caress with the police kids; especially right now with the media scrutiny - he explained to me that they're all uptight right now because of Bad Press. Apparently it causes magdumps and Ramming Speed...

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The Locator posted:

I agree that the ramming speed was over the top, but when you look at the laundry list of crimes that guy had just committed, and consider that he was not only carrying a high powered rifle, but firing it, I'm not sure this was any worse than just shooting him (he lived by the way, with only a couple days in the hospital), which is probably what would have ended up happening if they'd all gotten out of their cars and drawn down on him. If he'd pointed the gun anywhere remotely near the police at that point he'd probably be dead now, instead of in jail.

I agree completely - the stupid motherfucker evading & popping rounds into the air deserved to be rammed up against a wall with a P71 & is very lucky to be alive. Unfortunately, this isn't 1856 or whatever where you can do those things... everything is recorded, analyzed and monitored. When I watch these videos I see an astonishingly equal level of stupidity spread between the cops and the robbers. One performs extremely ignorant actions against the law, and the other performs extremely ignorant actions against other laws.

Don't get me started on SWAT.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I really didn't like one of my best buddies girlfriends, and told him as much. Said he could do way better, etc. He ignored me of course and got married to her a couple of years later.

I'm super good friends with her now and realize she's one of the only ones who could put up with his dumb rear end. She's stable, cool, and a great mom to their kids.

I keep my mouth shut now and still feel bad about mouthing off.

I do wish my friends had voiced their opinions about my rotten ex a lot sooner, but I would have ignored them anyway so meh.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 25, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Got a vaguely-worded call today to go help one of the guys I supervise at work - apparently he was having some sort of crisis and needed to leave immediately. I shrug my shoulders because workplace drama is a daily Thing, go to find him and he's turned inside-loving out... I get him in the truck with me, and between sobs he tells me that his little brother just got shot

:stare:

I threw an arm around him and took him to his car without asking any questions, but from what I gathered it was fatal. Don't know the kid in question, but my coworker is a super nice down-on-his-luck kinda guy who I've always liked. I do not get paid nearly enough to counsel people in the depths of grief asking me "what do I do? this isn't real! this isn't happening!". An excellent way to start my three-day weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Only advice I can give is to open a cold one.

That's a helluva way to start off a long weekend.

Cold ones opened, music playing, packing for trip to my girlfriend's friend's wedding :can:

mariooncrack posted:

You did the best you could and nobody would expect you to be able counsel anyone in grief.

Yeah it's all good - I have a strangely unique job at a weird place that includes being First Responder to medical emergencies so I've shown up to poo poo I wasn't prepared for, but this was a new one. My lunch today was actually interrupted to go clean blood off an old dude who tripped, fell, and mashed his lip into the concrete. By the time I got back to my sandwich the cheese had literally melted in the heat and it was disgusting but I ate it because I could tell it was going to be One Of Those Days. A few weeks ago the same thing happened except with some lady who fainted and started vomiting when I got to her. I finished my sandwich then too - I have forgotten what it feels like to have my appetite ruined by anything.

Preoptopus posted:

Jesus must be in the air, roomates girlfriend who lives with us just got a call that her employee lost her nearly due baby in a car accident. :(

drat that is rough too - stay inside tonight goons, it is the End of the Month and the Great Copper in the Sky has come late to claim his numbers

In more fun AI news, I did arrive home to find my freshly bored-out Jeep throttle body arrived. Got it installed while pounding a couple of beers... throttle response on oldass XJ = :mrgw:

• Locked thread