Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

*Ronwayne playing with a new group in his home* Oh man it's really cool that I found you guys, it's been really good to game now that the lazy eye guy stopped coming *starts hearing heartbeats from floorboards* Hey, stop that ruckus right now man, we're playing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

*Ronwayne playing with a new group in his home* Oh man it's really cool that I found you guys, it's been really good to game now that the lazy eye guy stopped coming *starts hearing heartbeats from floorboards* Hey, stop that ruckus right now man, we're playing!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Eh, just be calm about it and everything should be fine. If not, well, not your problem.

Don't worry about them; worst comes to worst, there's always PbP. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want to play a PbP but all the ones that pop up in the recruitment thread are for systems I own and barely know or have no idea how to play and I feel like I would drag the game down not knowing what I'm doing ):

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Good. Then stop right there, because the guy still stayed in our game for a couple months afterwards until he had a tantrum because he couldn't be DM anymore.

I never said anything about not including someone with mental disabilities in a game at all. That's something you invented out of whole cloth. If your group is willing to do the work then go for it.

Sorry that's how it ended man. My group had something similar in one of our more challenged members being a GM and no one having fun. We were jsut lucky I guess that when we explained why his campaign didn't work that he took it rather well and has been having fun as a player ever since.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Just say, "Hey, I'm not having fun any longer, so I'm just going to sit this out." Buy some beer and pizza beforehand to smooth out any hurt feelings if they are a little sensitive. For maximum gentle touch, tell your GM first and talk it out like adults. This way your GM won't miss you when you're gone. Hell, you might even convince them to play one of your board games! Or not.

Sounds good. We'll see how it goes.

Len posted:

I want to play a PbP but all the ones that pop up in the recruitment thread are for systems I own and barely know or have no idea how to play and I feel like I would drag the game down not knowing what I'm doing ):

Find the IRC channel the GM/players lurk on, there's usually one, asking "hey, I'm new, not too familiar with the game but interested." If there isn't just mention that in the OOC/Recruit thread. And any group worth playing with is going to help you out. As anxious as you may be about joining a new group the (smart) groups are also worried about becoming one of those inbred groups full of miserable regulars. Fresh blood is vital.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 29, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ronwayne posted:

Find the IRC channel the GM/players lurk on, there's usually one, asking "hey, I'm new, not too familiar with the game but interested." If there isn't just mention that in the OOC/Recruit thread. And any group worth playing with is going to help you out. As anxious as you may be about joining a new group the (smart) groups are also worried about becoming one of those inbred groups full of miserable regulars. Fresh blood is vital.

100% this. don't even worry about irc if you don't normally do irc, just ask in thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

100% this. don't even worry about irc if you don't normally do irc, just ask in thread.

adding my support to this!!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, do this. It is a good idea.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Just ask in the recruiting thread.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there a place to post to find maptool/roll20 games that like, meet once a week for several hours

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Pickup game thread, pretty much. Not a lot of IRC-style games around here.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Pickup game thread, pretty much. Not a lot of IRC-style games around here.

[not-playing-in-an-irc-game.jpg]

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

One pops up in the regular recruitment thread every once in a while.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fungah! posted:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I used to think you were cool, Fungah.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

grassy gnoll posted:

nobody that posts in this thread is "cool"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

nobody that posts in this thread is "cool"

gently caress that, I'm cool as hell.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

gently caress that, I'm cool as hell.

actually,

Dec 26, 2012

Fungah! posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So how many PbPs can one run before it's too many?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gradenko_2000 posted:

So how many PbPs can one run before it's too many?

paging ontological zombie, ontological zombie to the april 2015 chat thread

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Captain Foo posted:

paging ontological zombie, ontological zombie to the april 2015 chat thread
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > [GURPS] The Great Quantum Leap Forward Recruitment

Ontological Zombie
May 23, 2007

"It is the end... but the moment
has been prepared
for."

The Great Quantum Leap Forward is a GURPS game for five or six players set in near future Something Awful. The players are normal goons who got shifted through time forward to the year 2015. Things are have changed - some a little, some a lot. You missed the rise and fall of Helldump and Laissez Faire and arrive in a world of New GBS and Let's Play where Traditional Games is a discussion forum and the actual games are hidden even deeper in the forums' hierarchy. Oh, a Lowtax has gone missing.

Characters have to be built on 75 points and are normal, everyday goons, so no supernatural or exotic advantages/disadvantages. I'd prefer you stick to the Basic Set, but if it makes sense for your character to have something from other books, pass it by me.

Make sure your character has a realistic spread of skills. Some professional skills, some everyday life skills (Driving, Cooking etc.), some hobbies etc. Gear is limited to what your character is carrying, any unspent wealth is in the character's bank account which will not be accessible immediately on arrival in the future.

I don't mind making your characters something like a caricature of goon stereotypes (or invented stereotypes from 2015!). This isn't meant to be a super serious game after all.

This game is a good opportunity for GURPS newbies to learn the system! Vets are welcome, too, of course.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > [GURPS] The Great Quantum Leap Forward Recruitment

Ontological Zombie
May 23, 2007

has been prepared
for."

The Great Quantum Leap Forward is a GURPS game for five or six players set in near future Something Awful. The players are normal goons who got shifted through time forward to the year 2015. Things are have changed - some a little, some a lot. You missed the rise and fall of Helldump and Laissez Faire and arrive in a world of New GBS and Let's Play where Traditional Games is a discussion forum and the actual games are hidden even deeper in the forums' hierarchy. Oh, a Lowtax has gone missing.

Characters have to be built on 75 points and are normal, everyday goons, so no supernatural or exotic advantages/disadvantages. I'd prefer you stick to the Basic Set, but if it makes sense for your character to have something from other books, pass it by me.

Make sure your character has a realistic spread of skills. Some professional skills, some everyday life skills (Driving, Cooking etc.), some hobbies etc. Gear is limited to what your character is carrying, any unspent wealth is in the character's bank account which will not be accessible immediately on arrival in the future.

I don't mind making your characters something like a caricature of goon stereotypes (or invented stereotypes from 2015!). This isn't meant to be a super serious game after all.

This game is a good opportunity for GURPS newbies to learn the system! Vets are welcome, too, of course.

*Sensible chuckle*

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

frankenfreak posted:

Ontological Zombie
May 23, 2007

has been prepared
for."

:lol:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Ontological Zombie
May 23, 2007

has been prepared
for."

is this the real life

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

frankenfreak posted:

Ontological Zombie
May 23, 2007

has been prepared
for."

:eyepop:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

frankenfreak posted:

Ontological Zombie
May 23, 2007

has been prepared
for."

*looks at old sheets for Onto games*

I feel so dirty.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I see no problem with that game, so long as it's intended to be comedy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

frankenfreak posted:

Ontological Zombie
May 23, 2007

has been prepared
for."

I feel like I'm in a Rona Jaffe movie.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I feel like I'm in a Rona Jaffe movie.
I feel like I'm in a feature story from NPR's Ina Jaffe.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PresidentBeard posted:

I see no problem with that game, so long as it's intended to be comedy.

i don't want to be all "regdate lol" but if you weren't here when ontological zombie was making games, then lol

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I thought Drakkar the Persona-master was the joke answer regarding "how many PbPs can one run before it's too many?".

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm super cool

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Davin Valkri posted:

I thought Drakkar the Persona-master was the joke answer regarding "how many PbPs can one run before it's too many?".

no that's the actual answer

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i have no idea who that is but "goons lmao!!" is basically the least funny thing in TYOOL 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

i don't want to be all "regdate lol" but if you weren't here when ontological zombie was making games, then lol

Please do not hold back on the awkward comedy. I am honestly completely unaware of any reputation possessed by ontological zombie.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

i have no idea who that is but "goons lmao!!" is basically the least funny thing in TYOOL 2015

Same, but without the TYOOL part, which is GBS as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Same, but without the TYOOL part, which is GBS as hell.

you want to throw down motherfucker?

• Locked thread