Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying Fortress

I browsed gbs earlier today and discovered that t it still really sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex

I.N.R.I posted:

as long you dont eat bad things and slather everything in salt and fat you should be ok as long as you do some sort of cardio but i recommend taking a multivitamin if youre worried about your diet not being balanced or something.

Cool. I just jump rope or jog a few times a week. If I wanted to start an athletic hobby and train/eat appropriately, are there any decent resources you might recommend as far as nutrition I could keep in mind?

alnilam

bo pepper what do you recommend for a good kitchen knife that is not crazy expense, i'm talkin a medium-sized veggie cutter

keep in mind i have a bread knife and some okay serrated knives i just need a good sharp veg knife, also i dont eat meat so no need for fancy fileting knives or whatever the gently caress

ty manifisto

Meatsplosion

+3 Meat Elemental
post a pic in gbs of washing cast iron pan with soap

Meatsplosion

+3 Meat Elemental
itt: cutting and stripping wire with really nice scissors

fuck. marry. t-rex

alnilam posted:

bo pepper what do you recommend for a good kitchen knife that is not crazy expense, i'm talkin a medium-sized veggie cutter

keep in mind i have a bread knife and some okay serrated knives i just need a good sharp veg knife, also i dont eat meat so no need for fancy fileting knives or whatever the gently caress

Just get a 20-40 dollar Victronix chef knife and maybe a 5$ Henkel toree

Bwee

alnilam posted:

hanso steel

shabbat goy

alnilam posted:

Go to Costco (hit me up if you don't have a membership) and get one of their chef's knives. It's cheap and exactly like the ones I used when I worked in a kitchen, so no-frills but sharp as h*ck, plus I think you get a big one and a small one for different jobs.

fuck. marry. t-rex

Also learn how to strap a knife or sharpen it on a strapping rod

shabbat goy

Or the bottom of a coffee mug :mrgw:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

alnilam posted:

get a victorinox fibrox you can find them for cheap most anywhere online and they're good basic knives that will hold an edge and feel good in your hands they're pretty much what you'll find on the magnet strips of any restaurant kitchen for general use

fuck. marry. t-rex

Tbqh knowing how to sharpen a knife is way more important than what kind of knife it is

Just get whatever chefs knife is comfortable in your hand and probably has a wide blade

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Also learn how to strap a knife or sharpen it on a strapping rod

this

a honing steel should be used regularly with any knife that sees use you're not sharpening the blade but you are getting the edge to point in the right direction

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

go to this site and touch yourself

joke_explainer

peps has recommended victorious countless times for inexpensive great workhorse knives

I feel like you must be willfully ignoring him or something :colbert:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

when i need my knives sharpened for real i keep an eye out for the knife sharpening truck to slowly roll through my neighborhood ringing his bell

joke_explainer

definitely don't buy one of those carbon steel knives in Peps link unless you can clean and dry and maintain your knife after every use without leaving it sitting out. they are great though, they get so sharp and a sharp knife is safer

you can take all your knives to get sharpened professionally every year or whatever inexpensively and you'll often be surprised at how much a difference it makes

shabbat goy

I got fired from Perkins because a customer saw me cutting their club sandwich with my gun-blade and complained

joke_explainer

awesome at the knife sharpening truck. I have to take mine downtown

alnilam

thanks for the knife recs y'all!
also I do want to learn to sharpen kniffes better, that would be a fun thing to learn

joke_explainer posted:

peps has recommended victorious countless times for inexpensive great workhorse knives

I feel like you must be willfully ignoring him or something :colbert:

you expect me to remember a word like victorninox fibrox??

ty manifisto

alnilam

Twitter Warpath posted:

I got fired from Perkins because a customer saw me cutting their club sandwich with my gun-blade and complained

they won't be so haughty when a Random Encounter comes into the restaurant and you're not there to defend them

ty manifisto

Stormyish

I don't see the reason for the preference for Japanese steel in chef knives, since metallurgy has moved way past that by this point

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

alnilam posted:

thanks for the knife recs y'all!
also I do want to learn to sharpen kniffes better, that would be a fun thing to learn

the victorinox is a good knife to teach yourself sharpening with since you won't be too much in the hole when you most likely gently caress it up along the way

you would probably want to learn how to use water stones as they are the cheapest yet still good way to get into manual sharpening

i personally don't bother

Meatsplosion

+3 Meat Elemental
gerber makes an awesome little folding santoku thing thats great for cooking outdoors or chopping herbs and stuff. cops took mine during a random stop-n-hassle. i had a bit of herb on me and didnt want toget jammed up so i didn't give em any poo poo but i know when im getting shook down

joke_explainer

i also don't bother personally sharpening... cheaper time-wise and easier just to let a pro do it

E3 Keynote

eyyyyyyyyyy
i have a lovely sentoku and a bad two stage knife sharpener which is presumably destroying my blade

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

this thread goes way deeper into the rabbit hole of kitchen knives then i am able/willing to go but go hog wild if you're of a mind to

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
i like how goons care a shitload about things but don't devote the same level of enthusiasm to how to use them to the best of their ability. IE guitars, fountain pens, guns, etc

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

eh a knife is a tool it's not a big deal if you don't make a big production out of it as long as it's sharp and feels good in your hand everything else is gravy

shabbat goy

Spanish Manlove posted:

i like how goons care a shitload about things but don't devote the same level of enthusiasm to how to use them to the best of their ability. IE guitars, fountain pens, guns, etc

If you like things like that, then you should read the synth thread in Musician's Lounge

fuck. marry. t-rex

That happens with hobbyists everywhere. People get caught up in acquiring trappings associated with 'being good'. Combined with seeing things as a treat for yourself, rather than a professional cost to minimize, you end up spending lots of money and being amateur.

Obviously some people take it extremely far, but I think it's fairly universal, whether it's games, cuisine, gardening, audio equipment, art supplies, w.e

fuck. marry. t-rex

These have been my serious posts for the day, thank you.

Stormyish

there's hardly any melting going on in my meltdown thread

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

your thread has been hijacked by sensible serious posting about dietary and cooking minutia dealwitit

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

That happens with hobbyists everywhere. People get caught up in acquiring trappings associated with 'being good'. Combined with seeing things as a treat for yourself, rather than a professional cost to minimize, you end up spending lots of money and being amateur.

Obviously some people take it extremely far, but I think it's fairly universal, whether it's games, cuisine, gardening, audio equipment, art supplies, w.e

sometimes I want to ask questions about applied music theory for songwriting and then I get crickets but mention gibson's QC standards and everyone has an opinion

fuck. marry. t-rex

The knife thread is like that, it's less cooking and more metallurgy at this point as far as I can tell...

Stormyish

should i have a breakdown in the knife thread then?

I.N.R.I

Cool. I just jump rope or jog a few times a week. If I wanted to start an athletic hobby and train/eat appropriately, are there any decent resources you might recommend as far as nutrition I could keep in mind?

u should get something that tracks your activity. for cycling it would be a bike computer or a power meter, for running you could use a nike fuel band or whatever theyre called or a strava app on your smartphone. as for food, theres plenty stuff designed for eating and drinking during endurance training like energy gels (chewing + digesting food is hard to do and rough on your body while youre running and cycling so these are really good, theyre basically just liquid carbs) and isotonic drink powder. my fav brand for these is High5.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Stormyish posted:

should i have a breakdown in the knife thread then?

start a thread in gws with that margarine melting gif and i bet you'll really see some sparks fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

The knife thread is like that, it's less cooking and more metallurgy at this point as far as I can tell...

really? there's not links to videos on cutting techniques or methods of cutting? smdh

• Locked thread