Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bwee
because citric acid... oh gosh acid, it's going to ddissolve the mac and cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

Bwee posted:

yeah the oil is the fake cheese (well like the whey or whatever, cheese food) and the powders are probably sodium phosphate to emulsify the fake cheese oil into a brick of cheese

industrial food science is weird

Bwee
all molecular gastronomy is is haute cuisine industrial food science it's really funny,

joke_explainer

make sure you don't consume 1548 mg/kg per your weight or you might have a 50% chance to die

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

acid in MY food?!?!?

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

Bwee posted:

all molecular gastronomy is is haute cuisine industrial food science it's really funny,

i learned how sunny d is made and laughed because it's the scraps from real OJ. Also they use those scraps for mountain dew :iiam:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

oh boy i can't wait to try bwee's mac and cheese num num nummy

Bwee

Spanish Manlove posted:

i learned how sunny d is made and laughed because it's the scraps from real OJ. Also they use those scraps for mountain dew :iiam:

http://gizmodo.com/5825909/orange-juice-is-artificially-flavored-to-taste-like-oranges

joke_explainer

lets make some steaks with meat glue next.

Bwee
transglutaminase is actually used a lot in molecular gastronomy lol

treasure bear

im gunna use msg because it's not bad

Bwee
molecular gastronomy: paying $350 a person for people to make a mess on your table

I really want to go to Alinea

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i want one of those portable sous vide immersion circulators but i know i'll never use it

joke_explainer

BYOB Rachel posted:

i want one of those portable sous vide immersion circulators but i know i'll never use it

i'm gonna get the anova one

Bwee

BYOB Rachel posted:

I have one of those and use it all the time (it's a cheap one that connects to a slow cooker)

fuck. marry. t-rex

joke_explainer posted:

why do you keep thinking sodium citrate is an acid (well it is weakly acidic as its a salt of citric acidactually its basic and used as an acid buffer apparently, but it is definitely not the same thing as culinary citric acid)

Cuz I'm a high school educated cook, and my exposure up to this point in Sodium Citrate is as follows:

*Sophomore Chemistry: -ate suffix and I guess Sodium? denotes a salt.
*The words "citric acid" and their culinary applications.
*That you can mix it with a solid cheese and get a sauce
*Eating sour skittles

bacalou

sous vide is awesome but molecular gastronomers arr so pretentious I want to puke on their hybrid lab coats/chef whites

only so many applications of dry ice and guar gum can be utilized before it feels old hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

that makes a lot of sense

• Locked thread